• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper Remastered |OT| The Notorious D.O.G.

Camjo-Z

LcJ4j9f.png

Developer: NanaOn-Sha / Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
Genre: Music / Rhythm
Platform: PS4
Release Date: April 4th, 2017
Price: $14.99 / £11.99
Trophy List (Includes Platinum): https://www.exophase.com/game/parappa-the-rapper-remastered-psn/trophies/

t9bvB19.png

Do you like Space Channel 5? Gitaroo Man? DJ Max? Guitar Hero? Heck, any rhythm game? Well guess what: they all owe their existence to the one, the only... PaRappa the Rapper! That's right, it all started with the original rhythm game created by Masaya Matsuura and his team at NanaOn-Sha, and featuring the artistic stylings of New York artist Rodney Alan Greenblat.

The game stars a rapping dog named PaRappa who aims to win the heart of the lovely flower Sunny Funny. To gain her affections, he sets out to better himself through the teachings of the various rap masters throughout PaRappa Town. Can he beat his rival Joe Chin and show Sunny what he's made of on stage at Club Fun? You gotta believe!

Originally released for the PlayStation in 1996, the game later received an enhanced port for PSP in 2006 (also playable on Vita) which featured upgraded widescreen visuals and alternate downloadable song remixes. Now it's back on PS4 with 1080p HD graphics and support for 4K on PS4 Pro, high-resolution textures, enhanced audio, and new accessibility features to help out newcomers.

If you're expecting a rhythm game experience on par with Rock Band or Project Diva... you ain't gonna find it here! With only six stages, the game lasts maybe an hour on your first playthrough, and the Simon Says gameplay never gets especially tricky. It is the grand-daddy of the genre, after all. PaRappa is a cool game with unique visuals and a catchy soundtrack, and if that interests you then you're probably going to love it.

bRHeHpm.png

KCan72p.png

Shacknews - 8/10

PaRappa the Rapper: Remastered is an excellent re-release of a PlayStation classic, even if it feels as though it squandered some of the potential it has as a new PlayStation 4 release. It still has the same excellent music, memorable characters, and zany charm it had when it originally released, and if you never got a chance to check it out, you're in for a real treat.

Gaming Age - B+

My only real complaint here is that I wish there were more, or any, supplemental materials accompanying the game. For a 20th anniversary release, it feels like Sony could have really blown this one out a bit more, with behind-the-scenes content, concept art, vignettes...or anything really. PaRappa the Rapper: Remastered deserves a bit more than what Sony gives it here, and that's certainly disappointing for this fan of the original.

Still, it's a technically solid remaster of a really fun game, so I'd still suggest picking it up. Especially if you haven't played the game in a while, or ever for that matter. It's one of the more unique and charming releases from the PS1 era, and PaRappa the Rapper deserves all the attention it can get.

Metro - 6/10

PaRappa The Rapper is a historically important game, and in its way still a fun little experience. But its pleasures are fleeting, even if you come specifically for the nostalgia hit. And we hate to say it, but you can probably get that from just the free demo.

Gamespot - 6/10

There's a generation of gamers who will find Parappa the Rapper Remastered validates all their happiest memories watching Parappa kicking and spinning with Chop Chop Master Onion again, more vibrant and colorful than ever before. But there will come a point when they have to confront how incongruous the aggravating gameplay is with how delightful everything else around it is. The aesthetics and vibe are still unlike anything else out there, and they're still worth the hassle. But the greatest trick Parappa the Rapper ever pulled was convincing the world it's not a broken game.

PlayStation Lifestyle - 6/10

PaRappa the Rapper Remastered is a great throwback aurally and visually, but the frustratingly tight timing required and delay of PaRappa's audio samples make it a chore to play. It's a shame that the menu wasn't reworked to highlight the additional arrangements or to take advantage of how control schemes were updated over time, and I'd rather just listen to the songs than hear PaRappa freestyle his own messy groove over the tracks for the sake of a high score. Still, as frustrating as it can be visiting an old friend that never grew up, there's something endearing about playing PaRappa the Rapper almost exactly as it played 20 years ago, with a fresh, vibrant coat of paint on its audio and visuals.

Just Push Start - 6/10

PaRappa the Rapper Remastered does an okay job of bringing the classic forward. The gameplay definitely feels easier than previous versions, though one of the six songs is still fairly difficult. Combine this with only some of the graphics being upgraded and you have a decent game. Great if you want to relive the game you loved or see what this classic is like, but otherwise nothing special.

Destructoid - 5.5/10

As much as I love PaRappa and his quest to find love with Sunny Funny, the experience was significantly marred with the visible lag and the lack of calibration options. For a remastered rhythm game, this is practically a must-have given calibration difficulties with modern televisions. I still enjoyed my time with the updated, clean-looking PaRappa, but I might just go back to playing the PSP version if I got the funky flow...

FS1s4Nb.png

- You can't get Cool Mode on your first run through a song, so save your best skills for subsequent playthroughs. It's worth getting it on every stage as it can change things up quite a bit. There are even different ending cutscenes for getting Cool Mode on Stages 2, 3, and 5.

- If you feel the game is laggy or overly difficult, you may be playing too conservatively. Remember that PaRappa can freestyle to his heart's content - you don't have to follow the teacher exactly. Press buttons in a funky rhythm and you might just clear a tough line.

- For bonus surprises, hold up on the D-Pad while playing the game. It may come in handy if you want that Platinum trophy...

Awesome OT! Really showed off the improvement in the remaster.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the deal with "holding up" helping with the platinum?

Also, for those that missed in the other threads, there are physical versions of the game:

1. Japanese version with English voices/JPN text

For anyone looking for an alternative to buy this physically,

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term.media_format=&q=parappa

This place is good. I've ordered before from here. You can do PayPal, so it's insanely easy. The shipping is fairly quick too. Comes out the 20th of April, the stock is low though.

2. Asian version with English voices/text

http://www.play-asia.com/parappa-the-rapper-english/13/70b1rt

At checkout, use the code: MYPSVITA to save $3 (my total was $21)

If I'm correct, the Asian version comes out April 4th versus the Japanese on the 20th. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Have to admit, not liking how clean and smooth everything is with the remastered version. Watching the characters turn and pivot looks really fucking weird compared to the pixellated PSOne graphics which covered some of that up a little, shame really, as the game is a blast.

Camjo-Z

I don't know what to say about this EU pre-order dynamic theme. On one hand the graphics for it are pretty awesome. On the other hand, a constant two-second music loop and repetitive sound effects are not my idea of aural enjoyment.

Didn't the guy who voices him personally swindle some Gaffer out of like 50 bucks or something?

uh... no clue what you're talking about!

Awesome OT! Really showed off the improvement in the remaster.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the deal with "holding up" helping with the platinum?

One of the trophies requires you to see all of the secrets in the game. I'll give you one guess how you see the secrets...

joeblow

A interesting tip I noticed playing the demo on PSVR: the experience in the headset's Cinema Mode is pretty much lag free, especially compared to playing on the HDTV.

mindsale

I have a perfect remembrance of Parappa and Lammy but no recollection whatsoever of Parappa 2. Is that the one where he wants noodles?

Village

I have a perfect remembrance of Parappa and Lammy but no recollection whatsoever of Parappa 2. Is that the one where he wants noodles?
he's hungry, I think the issue was all he had was only noodles everything kept being turned into noodles

and a ghost teaches you how to make burgers

parrapa is weird

Camjo-Z

He hates noodles so much in PaRappa 2 that he dashes out of his girlfriend's house to avoid eating the noodle dishes she made and spends the rest of the game feeling insecure about his masculinity over the incident.

mindsale

He hates noodles so much in PaRappa 2 that he dashes out of his girlfriend's house to avoid eating the noodle dishes she made and spends the rest of the game feeling insecure about his masculinity over the incident.

I have totally been there.

Pitch for PaRappa 3:

PaRappa is at the movies with Sunny when he really wants to eat licorice from the concession stand, but they're sold out. PaRappa is so furious that now he has laser vision that turns anyone he stares at into delicious, soft-chewing Australian licorice. He eventually learns to control this ability through his beats and a gauntlet of rap gurus after growing sick of licorice.

Edit: some autocorrects.

soultron

Banned
I have totally been there.

Pitch for PaRappa 3:

PaRappa is at the movies with Sunny when he really wants to eat licorice from the concession stand, but they're sold out. PaRappa is so furious that now he has laser vision that turns anyone he stares at into delicious, soft-chewing Australian licorice. He eventually learns to control this ability through his beats and a gauntlet of rap gurus after growing sick of licorice.

Edit: some autocorrects.

jetbaby 7 is the movie they're going to see

Didn't realize this was out so soon. Well, I hope it's improved since the demo, because that was rough. Input latency that almost made it unplayable. No audio options either if I remember correctly.

PaRappa was the first PlayStation game I ever bought.

Awesome thread!

Think I am going to import the physical copy (and will probably double-dip for a NA digital copy too).

Silvawuff

Great job on this thread, OP! I wasn't even -aware- this game got a proper remaster treatment. Niceness!

Here's hoping for an UmJammer Lammy remaster, too!

Justinh

Damn, I didn't realize this was out so soon. I loved the first game, but I never got far in it back in the day because it was something I'd play at a friend's house (my first playstation was PSP, PS3 home for console). I didn't even know they made a part 2 until I saw it on PS2 for PS4. Turns out I suck at that game too, lol.

When I say "boom boom boom"...

If we all buy this remaster (and the mobile game if it ever leaves Japan I guess) they'll surely have to make PaRappa 3! (or just take the nostalgia money and run but what are the chances of that?????)

I'm buying it!

I swear that I chuckle anytime I see you post on a thread thinking of your tale.

CLEEK

I didn't even know there was a Parappa 2 until if got it's PS4 re-release last year.

Either it didn't get a UK release, or it just completely passed me by when it originally released.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind

That lovable Rap Scallion

Top Bottom