• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Lombax

Banned
I am very interested in playing this. has anyone started a GAF guild?
Also when will this open up for those of us on the East coast [-5 GMT]

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Where should one go to get an overview/feel for how to build a good passive tree? I want to play a Ranger, but I know there's a LOT more to that statement with PoE (skills, playstyle, etc).

injurai

Banned
Where should one go to get an overview/feel for how to build a good passive tree? I want to play a Ranger, but I know there's a LOT more to that statement with PoE (skills, playstyle, etc).

I would honestly just jump in head first. It's the type of game where you will make tons of characters over you investment in the game and experiment with builds. Usually more fun to have a haphazardly built character for your first time anyways.

I would honestly just jump in head first. It's the type of game where you will make tons of characters over you investment in the game and experiment with builds. Usually more fun to have a haphazardly built character for your first time anyways.

Ugh, no way. I hate wasted characters. I get crippled by decision fatigue so easily in these games. I think it's because I'm at a job where I constantly have to do analysis and make decisions all day, the last thing I want is to go home and gimp myself by making a decision without proper planning.

That said, it shouldn't hurt *that* bad to roll a bad character, because we'll likely get passive refunds after major patches, right?

if there any sort of respecing? i have to believe there is / will be with a skill tree dat big.

going to be starting tomorrow....i'm assuming no GAF friendslist yet? Guess i'll just add *GAF to my name and hope for the best!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I made a handful during beta, but I just never got a feel for "what works" in the higher level play.

if there any sort of respecing? i have to believe there is / will be with a skill tree dat big.

going to be starting tomorrow....i'm assuming no GAF friendslist yet? Guess i'll just add *GAF to my name and hope for the best!

No, there's not. You get a few respec points over time, but I think they're more designed for "oh shit" clicks rather than respec your character.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Very limited. You get a handful of respec points from quests, and there is a rare-ish item that respecs a point, but apparently that is much better spent for trading.

V_Arnold

Ugh, no way. I hate wasted characters. I get crippled by decision fatigue so easily in these games. I think it's because I'm at a job where I constantly have to do analysis and make decisions all day, the last thing I want is to go home and gimp myself by making a decision without proper planning.

That said, it shouldn't hurt *that* bad to roll a bad character, because we'll likely get passive refunds after major patches, right?

Think about it this way: rolling the first character of yours will allow you to find cool stuff, some of them so cool that you will now have a clear idea of what character to use. If you find a good unique or even a good lv15-range weapon with the perfect stats, you can easily make a new character for that. And now you wont be in the dark regarding what to do.

I really hope this game is ultra successful. I think it'll be a wake up call to some developers. Yes, you can still make a hardcore game and have people people play it, imagine that?!

Dresden

Definitely going for something using a shield and dagger (I just like the idea of that setup) or a Templar-summoner. Gonna take it easy and just treat that first character as a way to acclimatize to the game.

Man I hope this is good.

KKRT00

Also leveling to 50'ish on new characters is quite fast, especially with friends and good low level gear and proper skills.

Yeah, I think witch is the best looking class though. I dig the design of her :)

Really? Strange, as I think she looks kind of decrepit and bow legged, and I also don't care for playing as female characters. To be honest the character models are one thing I don't much care for in POE. The duelist, for example, who's fluffed out sleeves protrude through any armor you're wearing, or the Templar who looks like he's wearing a diaper. I think the ranger probably looks the best for what she is.

Yeah, not really caring for the character models, so hopefully there are skins pretty sharpish on the store. I think this is the reason I'll probably go Marauder.

injurai

Banned
Well yes, but which ones are more naturally 'developed' with sword and shield in mind (rather than having to go all the way around the skill tree to get there).

Templar(Str/Int), Marauder(Str), and Duelist(Str/Dex) would be the 3 flavors that your looking for. I haven't really progressed much along any of their trees to say what skills the get through questing.

Also leveling to 50'ish on new characters is quite fast, especially with friends and good low level gear and proper skills.
I only ever made it to 30 in closed beta, but I played solo.
Think about it this way: rolling the first character of yours will allow you to find cool stuff, some of them so cool that you will now have a clear idea of what character to use. If you find a good unique or even a good lv15-range weapon with the perfect stats, you can easily make a new character for that. And now you wont be in the dark regarding what to do.
I understand the philosophy, I just have a dumb issue with borked builds. I'm also a perpetual re-roller. I'm not the kind of person to seriously 'main' a class/character for very long. I constantly create new characters and new builds.

Which PoE seems perfect for--as long as we still get our passive points refunded after balance patches.

Really? Strange, as I think she looks kind of decrepit and bow legged, and I also don't care for playing as female characters. To be honest the character models are one thing I don't much care for in POE. The duelist, for example, who's fluffed out sleeves protrude through any armor you're wearing, or the Templar who looks like he's wearing a diaper. I think the ranger probably looks the best for what she is.

I don't care male or female. Really depends on the game. I 99% go male. Did play female DH in D3 just cause I thought she looked cooler. Think I will go marauder though in POE...initially anyway.

Ok, I'm thinking about trying a melee strength oriented duelist, using a one-hander and shield.

Here is my first 30 points: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...giGFSdO1674TZhO-GYJkrm4OkGayvw4bKkMzb37_nke9O

At that point I am trying to get Blood Magic as a priority.

Then at 42 points spent: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...E2YTvhmCZK5uDnrmfy6QZpzCsr8OGypDM29-_55HvTve-

I'd like to incorporate both the 2% life leech from Blood Drinker, and Iron Reflexes (evasion to armor), while also picking up Diamond Skin for the resists and Unwavering Stance (since I don't use evasion anyway).

After that I'm not sure where to go. Are there other keystones I should go for? I'm thinking about just trying to find more health and regen and putting it there. I'll probably neglect damage in favor of survivability to a degree since most of the damage nodes require a particular weapon choice and I'm not sure what I'll find.

Any other thoughts?

Fitz

I could swear I heard somewhere that they're adding pants (graphically) in the Open Beta, might be totally wrong here though.

Ok, I'm thinking about trying a melee strength oriented duelist, using a one-hander and shield.

Here is my first 30 points: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...giGFSdO1674TZhO-GYJkrm4OkGayvw4bKkMzb37_nke9O

At that point I am trying to get Blood Magic as a priority.

Then at 42 points spent: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...E2YTvhmCZK5uDnrmfy6QZpzCsr8OGypDM29-_55HvTve-

I'd like to incorporate both the 2% life leech from Blood Drinker, and Iron Reflexes (evasion to armor), while also picking up Diamond Skin for the resists and Unwavering Stance (since I don't use evasion anyway).

After that I'm not sure where to go. Are there other keystones I should go for? I'm thinking about just trying to find more health and regen and putting it there. I'll probably neglect damage in favor of survivability to a degree since most of the damage nodes require a particular weapon choice and I'm not sure what I'll find.

Any other thoughts?

Interesting build as it's focused almost entirely around keystones. Iron reflexes has always been a head scratcher for me, although I think it will be good for your build since you have unwavering stance. But yeah, you have the right idea; tons of life/life steal. It's been a few months since I've played, but if it's anything like diablo 2 I'd stay away from health regen on a melee character (although I'm sure it works on certain builds).

Also since you're doing life steal you want your damage to be as high as possible, because with life steal the best defense is a good offense. So I'd balance out damage and life nodes pretty evenly in your case. And of course attack speed is probably less important for your build because you'll be using life instead of mana and it will therefore drain faster than if you do a larger amount of damage per hit with slower attack speed (correct me if I'm wrong).

Interesting build as it's focused almost entirely around keystones. Iron reflexes has always been a head scratcher for me, although I think it will be good for your build since you have unwavering stance. But yeah, you have the right idea; tons of life/life steal. It's been a few months since I've played, but if it's anything like diablo 2 I'd stay away from health regen on a melee character (although I'm sure it works on certain builds).

Also since you're doing life steal you want your damage to be as high as possible, because with life steal the best defense is a good offense. So I'd balance out damage and life nodes pretty evenly in your case. And of course attack speed is probably less important for your build because you'll be using life instead of mana and it will therefore drain faster than if you do a larger amount of damage per hit with slower attack speed (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll do more research on regen. I just noticed when I was watching a Krip stream yesterday that he had a build that used blood magic and it looked like his health was constantly trickling up, so I just jumped to a conclusion.

Also, great point on the damage. I'm just worried about committing to say "swords" and then finding a dope mace. =|

I guess I shouldn't worry too much, since this will only be a first character that will probably just farm for starter gear, gems, and currency.

JWong

Banned
Well yes, but which ones are more naturally 'developed' with sword and shield in mind (rather than having to go all the way around the skill tree to get there).

Yeah most of the shield stuff is in the STR side.

You should dive into learning about the block mechanics. I think I tried shield a year ago and it wasn't a good shield build since my block chance wasn't high enough to pay off.

syko de4d

New News about the OB Start

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/70299

At the time of writing, there are 24 hours to go until we enter Open Beta. This post briefly explains how that transition works and what to expect. Please click through to read the whole post.

The countdown timer on the game login screen and on the website news page is counting down towards the time when the deploy will be finished and the game will be playable. It is not counting down towards the start of downtime.

We will bring the game servers down for deployment of the 0.10.0 patch two hours before the start of Open Beta. The website may be down for approximately 10-20 minutes while we perform database migrations. At this point, access to the game servers will be disabled until the countdown hits zero and the patch will be available to download. Just run your existing Closed Beta client to update to the open beta version. We're sorry that this doesn't give much time to download the 1.5gb or so, but we'd rather have some people playing than leave the servers off while giving people on slow internet connections a chance to patch fully.

Once you're patched, if you try to log in, you'll be put in a queue. At the point the servers open, you should then be logged in.

All characters will be reverted to level 1 and moved to new Default and Hardcore leagues. Their items will be destroyed, other than Demigod's Presences and pets. This is the final wipe the game will ever have.

Note that due to a bug in the current version of Beta where it's possible to create more characters on your account than you are allowed, any additional characters over your allowance (which defaults to 24 unless you purchase more) will be deleted. If you are over this limit and have special names that you want to keep, you should manually delete characters to get under the limit. If you are truly paranoid, please move your Demigod's Presences to your stash so that they're not accidentally stored on characters that are deleted.

There will be a further news post today with full Patch Notes, explanations of our reasoning behind balance changes and information on how the new cosmetic microtransactions work.

Traffic to the site has been absolutely insane over the last few days. We've been aggressively ordering more servers, but it's quite possible that we'll have long queues and general server unstability on launch day. We may be operating under player load levels far above what we've tested to. Needless to say, there are a team of dedicated people here who will try to make sure you have the best possible experience.

Kiwi packs become unavailable two hours before the countdown hits zero (i.e. when the servers go down). If you want to upgrade yours while it's still possible, you should consider doing that as soon as possible. Thanks again for your continued support!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If you read this (you know who you are), I will miss you ♥ See you at work on Monday, my angel!

"There will be a further news post today with full Patch Notes, explanations of our reasoning behind balance changes and information on how the new cosmetic microtransactions work."

I can't fucking wait for all this :').

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I really hope this game is ultra successful. I think it'll be a wake up call to some developers. Yes, you can still make a hardcore game and have people people play it, imagine that?!

What is successful for a f2p though? Other than having users spend a ton of money.

lordy88

What is the effect of Str/Dex/Int for each class, or in general? While I understand that different classes will be placed differently on the skill trees, are there any other differences between the classes?

Top Bottom