• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

I hope they add the new character or fix up the passive tree. They wanted to see how the game would work with really nerfed charges now. I agree they were too good.

syko de4d

PoE is a great game, i hope many people will test it this WE :)

I get the D3 Beta one day after the new 0.97 patch went online and i played 3hours D3 and 6 hours PoE this day. For me PoE is more fun :)

Icomp

Oh man oh god.
Been waiting for an invite since they first announced the closed beta. I finally get to play the game!

accx

Still waiting for an invite. Glad to see they're doing the stress test at least!
I'm getting bored with the D3 beta.

How does the game perform? Have they stated any type of release date yet?

If anyone could hook me up with a key i'd kiss the ground you're walking on for a whole year!

EDIT:
woohoo, there was this contest on mmosite to get a key. really easy but there were like 2 left. Just finished it and got one!

syko de4d

EDIT:
woohoo, there was this contest on mmosite to get a key. really easy but there were like 2 left. Just finished it and got one!

great, i hope u will like this game.

But it´s still a real Beta and the Developer need ur Feedback in the Forum :)

Insured

I made the mistake of looking up and browsing around the skill trees from their official site, now I feel the most incredible need to play this game... I can see myself just being unhealthily hooked during the public weekend, which wouldn't be any good when I can't continue after it! But I suppose I could try it out, would also do my part in helping them stresstest their servers... Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: Apparently the mmosite contest just renewed 20 more keys. Managed to snatch one (I suppose look around this time tomorrow if you want to get one yourself!)

KKRT00

Chris said:
Patch notes for Version 0.9.8
Notes:

• Your passive skill points have not been reset by this patch.
    The legacy migration has not occured at the same time as this patch. We expect to perform it sometime before the weekend. When this occurs, it will move all current Default and Hardcore characters to the Legacy and HC Legacy leagues respectively. Any stashed items will be added as extra “Remove only” tabs in your legacy stashes. Items cannot be placed in these new stash tabs.

Features:

• We've added a Friends List to the Social panel. When you add someone to your friends list, it also sends them an invitation offering to add you to theirs.
    You can now set your Account Status at the top of the Social panel. This status is broadcast to people who have you on their friends list.
    Added a new player aura - Clarity: An aura that grants mana regeneration to you and your allies.
    Added a new support gem - Culling Strike: Skills supported by this gem kill enemies reduced to 10% or less life.
    Added a new support gem - Point Blank: Ranged attack skills supported by this gem deal more damage to very close targets and less damage to farther away targets.
    Added a new support gem - Iron Grip: Ranged attack skills supported by this gem have the strength melee damage bonus applied to them.
    Added a new support gem - Iron Will: Spells supported by this gem have the strength melee damage bonus applied to them.
    Added a new support gem - Melee Damage on Full Life: While you're on full life, melee skills supported by this gem deal increased physical damage.
    Added support for queues at the login server if there are too many players online.
    Empty game instances now close earlier if they have no side areas that would cause you to return to them. The values are roughly 8 minutes for areas that don't have side areas and 15 minutes for areas that do.
    Your starting weapon now spawns again in the first area if you're disconnected before picking it up.
    Continued to incrementally improve the art, effects, environments and sound.

Balance:

• All weapons have been revamped into new sequences that have better level progression and balance. These weapons are spread over three tiers that correspond to the three difficulty levels that will be available when the third act is released. Weapons in the third tier are balanced to not be strictly better than each other.
    Rebalanced many item mods. Some will have changed levels, rendering certain items unusable if you don't meet the new level requirements.
    Returned the defensive properties off armour pieces (that add Armour, Evasion or Energy Shield) to 0.9.6 values. We consider the 0.9.7 armour changes a failed experiment. Monster damage has been rebalanced slightly to accomodate this.
    Most Unique weapons have had new levels and base types assigned to them. Mods have been rebalanced on many of them to take into account their new levels. Existing Unique items will not have had their stats or base types changed.
    The default critical strike changes on weapons have less variance now. The high end ones are slightly lower than they were before.
    The vendor recipe that used to yield 10 Jeweler's Orbs now only yields 7.
    Items for sale in the vendors can now go up to one level above the player's level.
    Reduced monster density in the Submerged Passage levels.
    Increased the damage of Hailrake's Ice Spears on higher difficulties.
    Reduced values of Item Quantity and Item Rarity mods and support gems.
    Reduced the mana cost of Explosive Arrow.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a bug where Goatmen using Leap Slam would slide at the end of their jump.
    Fixed a bug where hovers of items were displaced if the game had been resized.
    Fixed a bug where the melee damage bonus from strength didn't affect certain physical damage mods properly.
    The Faster Casting support gem doesn't speed up the Haste aura any more.
    Hidden monsters can no longer be targeted, attacked or damaged until they un-hide.
    Fixed character creation errors so that they're not hard to read any more.
    Fixed a problem where screenshots taken with the F8 key would look wrong.
    Fixed a bug that could cause area transitions to fail rarely.

I'm reminding also about stress test in this weekend :)
Game will be open for everyone with an account!

Ps. I cant promise anything, but i should get some more keys after this weekend :), so if You really enjoy stress test, You'll maybe get a key afterwards :)

the new support gems sound great :)

Most of those use to be in the passive skill tree. They are really testing out a bunch of ideas in the beta.

As it has been mentioned, this is a beta. Not a demo. Shit will be changed and screw up the way you play. Don't get angry on the forums like some people are doing. Its hilarious and sad at the same time.

inky

^Indeed. It's being great going in and rolling whatever you feel like to see if it works without bothering about a critical path. I really need more time to play this game and try some of the new things.

undu

Just got kicked out of the open access, now I'm sad.

Guess I'll have to beg for beta invite like many other, this game has been a really pleasant surprise.

Have just heard about this for this first time.

It looks really promising. What is the word on the next open stress test? Will there be one? Do I just need to make an account on the site to get in?

Blizzard and Sega refuse to ever let me in any beta testing so maybe this will give me my dungeon crawling fix.

Have just heard about this for this first time.

It looks really promising. What is the word on this stress test? Do I just need to make an account on the site to get in?

Blizzard and Sega refuse to ever let me in any beta testing so maybe this will give me my dungeon crawling fix.

Stress test was in the weekend, it's over now.

Perkel

Banned
Yeah Weekend beta ended and i'm still in. I'm official Closed Beta member !

6892984746_33be5bae6d.jpg

If they give out another round of friend invites, I'll give one to GAF. I did this already with my 1st because someone on GAF gave me their friend invite. Pay it forward.

So after this stress test open beta weekend, I enjoyed what I played.

A few things that stood out...

The Skill Forest is initially intimidating up until you realize that half of the tree is the equivalent of upgrading your attributes and then it becomes quite manageable. Having every skill available to you from the start is pretty sweet. I can see a lot of Class variations going on this way. This is further expanded on by the Skill gems (which in my brief play through didn't really start dropping until brutus)

The lack of gold for the currency is somewhat confusing, but I have to assume that this is where they are going to make their money. Limiting things like Scrolls of Wisdom and Portal scrolls will more then likely encourage players to buy more scrolls or orbs(especially late into the game). It certainly doesn't help that the Inventory is usually filled up within 5 minutes.

But overall I got a really good Diablo 2 vibe from everything which was definitely a good thing. It will be interesting to see if I spend more time with this game or with Diablo 3... At this point, Torchlight 2 will wait for a steam sale :(

KKRT00

The lack of gold for the currency is somewhat confusing, but I have to assume that this is where they are going to make their money. Limiting things like Scrolls of Wisdom and Portal scrolls will more then likely encourage players to buy more scrolls or orbs(especially late into the game). It certainly doesn't help that the Inventory is usually filled up within 5 minutes.
You wont be able to buy currency items from GGG, it would be pay to win.

BTW people should play more Diablo 2 mods :) Eastern Sun and MedianXL had also many currency items for crafting and thats great design :)
It also similar to runes trading in D2, but designed with everything in mind, not only creating runewords.

Also, you will have too many scrolls if you use them wisely. You don't use wisdom scrolls on every magic/rare you find. I only use them on stuff I will actually wear or any rare I find. Rares I just put in my stash for later so if I start up a new character I will have uber gear. Sell everything I won't use. You end up with way too many scrolls and whatnot.

Raxum

Tried this out for the open weekend, I've been signed up for a good 6 months now. Now I'm somewhat hooked, hoping they put out the donations for pre-purchase thing soon. Just keep thinking about builds you can make with the Skill Tree. One thing I noticed that I thought didn't make sense is putting the "Blood Magic" Skill closer to the Templar start than the Marauder start, even though I'd consider that the marauder would be less likely to use mana, being the straight strength class.
I'd been considering making a heavy life regen/life-steal, tanky marauder that used auras and curses to support surrounding team members, but that build would have nearly no damage by itself unless you stacked armour that damaged attackers on hit. Would be hard to solo-level I'd think, unless anyone knows of a way to re-spec at higher levels?

Is there a way to tell if I'm still in the beta after the stress test without having to sign in (I'm away from my desktop currently). I'm just curious.

Twinduct

So how many acts are there currently? From what I can tell only Act 1 & 2 is in the current beta right?

So once you complete Act 2 the harder difficulties unlock right?

Raxum

So how many acts are there currently? From what I can tell only Act 1 & 2 is in the current beta right?

So once you complete Act 2 the harder difficulties unlock right?

From what I've read and the way I understand, there's 2 acts currently, with 4 difficulties. Each difficulty unlocks after you complete the difficulty before it. Only really got to play it on the beta weekend though, and didn't get enough time to play past the 2nd act in the first difficulty.

I read somewhere they're working on the 3rd act, and when it's done they're moving to 3 acts with 3 difficulties.

Twinduct

From what I've read and the way I understand, there's 2 acts currently, with 4 difficulties. Each difficulty unlocks after you complete the difficulty before it. Only really got to play it on the beta weekend though, and didn't get enough time to play past the 2nd act in the first difficulty.

I read somewhere they're working on the 3rd act, and when it's done they're moving to 3 acts with 3 difficulties.

Ah ok nice. Yeah almost done with Act 2 I thinks.
Looking forward to see some of the later loot drops.

Although I'm kinda disappointed with the limited skill set when it comes to magic. I know it's technically not that limiting. But I wanted a fire version of the nova spell. Or just more fire spells lol.

Raxum

Although I'm kinda disappointed with the limited skill set when it comes to magic. I know it's technically not that limiting. But I wanted a fire version of the nova spell. Or just more fire spells lol.

There seem to be a fair few spells, and a few ways to add fire damage to current skills. Personally I'm pretty happy with the way skills are set, and it would be easier for them to add skills into the game as gem drops later on. And the ability to customise your spells with support gems makes things interesting.

As has been stated before, it's still in reasonably early beta so there's a fair amount of room for expansion, and I believe the devs have mentioned wanting to expand the skill gems.

Twinduct

There seem to be a fair few spells, and a few ways to add fire damage to current skills. Personally I'm pretty happy with the way skills are set, and it would be easier for them to add skills into the game as gem drops later on. And the ability to customise your spells with support gems makes things interesting.

As has been stated before, it's still in reasonably early beta so there's a fair amount of room for expansion, and I believe the devs have mentioned wanting to expand the skill gems.

Good to hear about the expansion of skill gems! I'm just bitter since I wanted to go will full pyro (Or alteast have some ranged summons).

Pretty sure stuff like that will get added.

Raxum

Good to hear about the expansion of skill gems! I'm just bitter since I wanted to go will full pyro (Or alteast have some ranged summons).

Pretty sure stuff like that will get added.

Well you probably could go mostly pyro, there's a fair few interesting skills in the passive tree for fire damage. And a dex gem that allows you to blow up corpses in the middle of battle. I haven't found all the gems yet, and honestly it'll probably be hard to make the best build for what you want on your first character until you get a larger collection of skill gems and support gems.

KKRT00

"Purchasable beta access will be ready either tonight or tomorrow morning (NZ time). There are so many tweets about this."
https://twitter.com/#!/pathofexile/status/187493622067896320

There is like only 50% skill gems right now :)

Moaradin

Been in the full beta for a while but never gave it a shot. I'm actually pretty interested in this game now that I've heard some impressions and saw that gigantic skill web. That shit was awe-inspiring.

Twinduct

Well you probably could go mostly pyro, there's a fair few interesting skills in the passive tree for fire damage. And a dex gem that allows you to blow up corpses in the middle of battle. I haven't found all the gems yet, and honestly it'll probably be hard to make the best build for what you want on your first character until you get a larger collection of skill gems and support gems.

True. I've got so many gems in my chest atm heh. Very few Supports though, but quite alot of them. Gah I feel spoiled playing this game for free heh

There is like only 50% skill gems right now :)

Ooo ... Fire nova!! You still might be mine!

Raxum

True. I've got so many gems in my chest atm heh. Very few Supports though, but quite alot of them. Gah I feel spoiled playing this game for free heh

I know the feeling, that's why I'm more than willing to pay for this game to get into the beta early haha.

"Purchasable beta access will be ready either tonight or tomorrow morning (NZ time). There are so many tweets about this."
https://twitter.com/#!/pathofexile/status/187493622067896320

Looking forward to this, but annoyed that I won't be home for 4 days starting friday, and thus won't be able to play it for the weekend. Oh well, I guess I've got plenty of time.

Perkel

Banned
Curious to see what the new class will be.

It's easly predictable, All 5 clases start in diffrent part of passive tree. And passive tree is devided in three main areas Inteligence, Strenght and dexterity (blue, red, green)

There are 3 pure classes:

Witch - Inteligence
Maruder - Strenght
Renger - Dexterity

And there are some mixed up classes:

Templar - Inteligence + Strenght
Dualist - Strenght+dexterity

So next class will be Inteligence+dexterity. Capable of avoiding attacts and casting firebals so something like magical thief.

edit//
Yep it will be some thief/arcanethief mixture. canon clas would deal a lot of critical strikes

Ofcourze all those classes are just inly starting position help because Witch can easly be as capable fighter as maruder (only little more time is needed)

Btw i love passive skills tree. It takes best of Final Fantasy X sphere grid .

KKRT00

Chris said:
Note: The online shop will not be initially enabled with this patch. Once this patch is deployed, we will test the online shop for a few hours and then enable it for the public. Until then, clicking the button in the Microtransaction Stash will not work.

Version 0.9.8c

• Added five types of purchasable exclusive Kiwi Pets.
    Added a Microtransaction Stash (the dollar sign near the mana orb) which you can use to enable/disable your pets.
    Fixed a bug with chest spawns in the Ancient Pyramid.
    Enabled chests in the Dread Thicket.
    Fixed Anger, Wrath and Hatred to count as Fire, Lightning and Cold gems respectively.
    Fixed the display of "Chance to cause status ailments" on the character screen.
    Fixed a client crash that can occur if you change areas while typing.
    Improved the Quest Screen Map hovers to add icons for waypoints and towns.
    Towns are now clearly marked on the Quest Screen Map.
    Long names now display nicely in the character panel.
    Popups for skills which have no stats now don't display an empty stats information frame.
    Fixed a bug where you'd get on-kill effects for replacing your minions.
    Acrobatics no longer removes the physical damage reduction granted by Endurance Charges.
    Fixed some display bugs with the social notifications.

KKRT00

And here are items You buy now for PoE points, quite neat price i would say :)
3 stash pages for 10$? I'm definitely in!

https://www.pathofexile.com/shop/

Wow!

What can I Spend Points on?
As a test of our microtransaction system, we’re initially offering two small purchases:

Extra Stash Tab (30 Points): Your quota of stash tabs is increased in all leagues. The number of stash tabs is not reset when we enter Open Beta.
Extra Character Slot (30 Points)

At Open Beta, we will have a range of different microtransactions for sale, including many of the following:

Public stash tabs (viewable to other players for trade purposes)
Cosmetic pets
Alternate skill effects
Special animations (for example, taunts or PvP victory animations)
Special paid leagues (with custom game rules)
Guild storage
Alternate item skins and visual effects
Special cosmetic item properties such as “extra gore”
Item dyes

Guild storage and paid leagues!

eek5

There were problems finding this transaction. Please contact support.

Awesome..

edit: nm it went through but doesn't show it on receipts page

Raxum

Ok i think this need own post. Quite many options there, kickstarter style

https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase/

Damn! Had to be while I'm at work and not going to be able to look at it on a computer. Oh well, phone browsing here I come!

Pretty excited for their ideas of microtransactions, none of it looks game-changing, but is something a fair few people would like to be able to do, like customise armour and get vanity pets and such. Should be interesting.

Top Bottom