• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

eek5

I played with 2 randoms so far. The experiences couldn't be more different. In one we shared rare drops and in the other the other guy would sprint and grab everything. Not sure how I feel about the party system.

Drops did seem a bit better in a group though

With a shared stash for all your characters, even if you can't use a rare for your character, maybe your next character can. So pick up every rare. Unless your teammates can use them. That guy was just being an asshole.

syko de4d

i think the loot system is still in work, maybe there will be Party options like Free for all and Diablo 3 like loot etc.

eek5

With a shared stash for all your characters, even if you can't use a rare for your character, maybe your next character can. So pick up every rare. Unless your teammates can use them. That guy was just being an asshole.

Yeah. The second time I matched up I was marauder and he was an archer so I left all the +dex rares and bows on the ground for him. He ended up getting some sweet upgrades.

i think the loot system is still in work, maybe there will be Party options like Free for all and Diablo 3 like loot etc.

FFA works when you know who you're playing with but if they do a matchmaking system I think they'll have to have options for how loot is distributed or else it will be a bad experience for some people.

Oh and the XP in groups is kind of weird. I started off 37 in level 39 areas then we got to act 2 and I was level 40 in 45 areas so instead of catching up like I usually do solo, I fell behind more.

Artanisix

D3 feels like a more polished, complete package, and the skills are way better IMO. POE is very oldschool and in that regard it's very nice. Lack of item variety and skills makes fighting tedious at times though. I enjoy both but see myself playing D3 more in the long run.

KKRT00

Lack of item variety

What?

I played with 2 randoms so far. The experiences couldn't be more different. In one we shared rare drops and in the other the other guy would sprint and grab everything. Not sure how I feel about the party system.

Drops did seem a bit better in a group though
Some time ago they were talking about system that hides items for a few seconds from a guy who didnt kill npcs to help ranged chars have chance in drops pick ups , but dunno if they will implement it eventually. I'm certain that they dont want D3 system, they prefer old method with everyone seeing items, greefing and sharing.

Moaradin

Just got to Act 2. Yup, this game is fun as hell. Game opened up considerably as well, as now I have multiple paths I can take. Second act has great environments also. I am getting kinda overwhelmed by the passive skill tree, but that isn't a bad thing. I'm currently playing a ranger at level 18 and got 100 or so dexterity and wondering if I should start branching out to STR/INT.

Does anyone know if the game scales if you play in a party? Having a great time with a friend and it doesn't seem like a pushover with extra players.

KKRT00

Does anyone know if the game scales if you play in a party? Having a great time with a friend and it doesn't seem like a pushover with extra players.
Yes, it does. Act 2 is much harder than Act 1 and You can definitely see that with more players in party, but real fun starts in Cruel, especially when You play on HC :)

BTW yesterday my friend died in act 2, because we were rushing to crossroads :)

KKRT00

Lol, i've just died in poe, because i wanted to fraps something in window mode and in combat i resized a windows by accident, and client crashed ...

I've just got to Cruel and craft new weapon for fuck sake ;\ No more frapsing on HC in window mode ever!

eek5

My level 42 Marauder couldn't hang in merciless so I went back to Cruel to level it up. Ended up partying with this guy and basically carried him through Cathedral of Bones. He went out of his way to pick up every rare and currency item even when his inventory was completely full.

We move on and a greater multiple projectiles drops and I'm next to it and he spends the rest of the time begging me for it. Maybe I'd give it to you if you weren't such a greedy little pig LOL

Does anyone else have a nearly constant synch issue with the game server? I can't count how many times I've died when the game stops responding. I can usually tell when there's going to be an issue when it takes minutes for my stash to open when I click on it. I hope this isn't my internet connection.

eek5

Does anyone else have a nearly constant synch issue with the game server? I can't count how many times I've died when the game stops responding. I can usually tell when there's going to be an issue when it takes minutes for my stash to open when I click on it. I hope this isn't my internet connection.
Since the fix to item duping, I've noticed a lot of desyncing. Maybe the server didn't boot up right or something

KKRT00

What an amazing drop i've got for a 6th class, what a pity she's still not around ;\

q5fZj.jpg

BTW Cruel is too easy with my build ;\, we [me and my friend] just destroying it.

The FFA loot kind of sucks - I've kicked a person or two out of groups because they didn't do anything except run around and pick up stuff as it dropped. While I can appreciate the nod to old-school/hardcore players - and think that it's important that they don't water things down too much - finding a better/improved way to handle loot is important. It really discourages grouping unless you are with friends/players that you know and won't screw you over.

- They could do the 'each player gets their own loot pool' - ie: Guild Wars 2 (but not sure how I like that for this game...)
- Anything that is Rare/Currency - rotates through each player that gets a brief window of time before anyone else can pick it up.
- Allow players to select 'Preferred Items' - ie: Player 1 is looking for good 2H Staffs, Player 2 is looking for Dagger class items - they set this up in the UI somehow - and they get dibs on items of that class as they drop
- Any time a rare item gets picked up by another player - window of time where everyone can 'roll for it' - highest roll gets the item

The game is great fun when playing with friends, or with people that are not being jerks about loot - but as more people start playing, and things eventually go to full release - FFA is going to be a shitshow that is going to turn off people that are not griefers, or dedicated to playing with a set group of friends.

Tambini

Yeah it's kinda luck of the draw whether you get a loot hog or not. I wonder if they can implement the each player gets their own loot system for the beta, it would be a welcome change in my opinion.

Certainly is, just one thing to note is that they've said while the game is in beta, if they do a big update that changes a lot, characters might be migrated to a legacy league or wiped. Apparently this happened a few updates before the stress test weekend.

That is possibly my only worry with paying for beta access. Though I do really want to support the devs of this for doing the right thing and making such a good game.

Any chance we could get a GAF community together in this game? At least have a few GAFers added as friends?

On the weekend, a dev was in chat. Apparently the transition from Closed to Open beta will have a character wipe, but after things enter Open Beta - they don't plan on having any more character wipes.

But knowing that my chars are going to get wiped at some point - makes me a little more relaxed in playing with random/different builds to see 'I wonder how this will work...'

Raxum

On the weekend, a dev was in chat. Apparently the transition from Closed to Open beta will have a character wipe, but after things enter Open Beta - they don't plan on having any more character wipes.

But knowing that my chars are going to get wiped at some point - makes me a little more relaxed in playing with random/different builds to see 'I wonder how this will work...'

Yeah I noticed a little blurb about that at the end of the email you get when you purchase a supporter pack. Makes me care a little less about screwing up builds or getting all the best loot and such.

Will be nice to see how they implement the clan/guild system, and if it will be account-based like the adding friends in social or if it will be on a per-character basis. Also, a new loot system would be welcome, I've been caught out a couple of times playing with people who just take all the loot and don't share anything. It makes me not want to group with anyone but friends.

Edit: Just as a side-note, does anyone else here use the Evolve client? I'm finding it to be a nice time-tracking client with a pretty awesome overlay for games like Path of Exile.

so I just installed this two days ago and got severely addicted. Burned through act 1 like nobody's business with two characters and I can't get enough. Someone mentioned that the beta ends at act two's conclusion, so i was just wondering if anyone knows how much the developers have planned in terms of worlds - how many acts/worlds are complete? how many will be complete by launch?

basically, I'm trying to get an idea of the game length - 100 levels for my character is awesome but i hope there is going to be enough new worlds and content to accompany my level gains.

so I just installed this two days ago and got severely addicted. Burned through act 1 like nobody's business with two characters and I can't get enough. Someone mentioned that the beta ends at act two's conclusion, so i was just wondering if anyone knows how much the developers have planned in terms of worlds - how many acts/worlds are complete? how many will be complete by launch?

basically, I'm trying to get an idea of the game length - 100 levels for my character is awesome but i hope there is going to be enough new worlds and content to accompany my level gains.

The game doesn't end, it just rolls over to the next difficulty. Basically in cruel I would say 85% of the monsters have some kind of attribute. Like resist fire, leech life, regen, hit harder, etc. There's 4 difficulty levels right now I believe. They said the last difficulty level will be taken out when Act 3 comes around.

Pretty sure they are going to release act 3 around open beta. I don't know anything past that. There's going to be PVP and stuff like that, which I'm sure can keep you occupied.

I think it just depends how successful the game is. They are in New Zealand and have like 15 employees. They don't have a huge cost like a bigger game so they should be able to keep going and creating new maps/acts.

Raide

Got into the Beta ages ago but only now managed to play. Its not bad at all! Some nice atmosphere in the levels but the early combat is so boring. Witch seems fun as a summoner but it really does seem to take ages to get anywhere with the classes. Started a Ranger too, since I like ranged classes. Whats the Templar like? Pala style?

Got into the Beta ages ago but only now managed to play. Its not bad at all! Some nice atmosphere in the levels but the early combat is so boring. Witch seems fun as a summoner but it really does seem to take ages to get anywhere with the classes. Started a Ranger too, since I like ranged classes. Whats the Templar like? Pala style?

Elemental Damage is their main thing. Uses magic and weapons. Avatar of fire is a pretty big passive skill. Combine it with all the extra elemental damage passive and the 60%+ damage support gems.

KKRT00

Read this board, its dedicated for future plans for PoE
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/253

My short summary
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35461457&postcount=588

Raxum

Damn, from your summary I'd say the thing that stood out for me the most is the belts granting flask slots. I already knew about most of the other things in there, but never noticed them mention the possible belt change. Playing mainly a melee class, it's been handy to be able to pop multiple flasks when I'm in a spot of trouble. I hope it isn't too difficult to get belts that grant up to the 5 flask slots again.

eek5

Damn, from your summary I'd say the thing that stood out for me the most is the belts granting flask slots. I already knew about most of the other things in there, but never noticed them mention the possible belt change. Playing mainly a melee class, it's been handy to be able to pop multiple flasks when I'm in a spot of trouble. I hope it isn't too difficult to get belts that grant up to the 5 flask slots again.

From what I undersatnd, that change is mainly so that low level players understand the importance of flasks since they'll only be able to carry a limited number of them. This change probably means higher level belts that all have +3 flask slots. I doubt it will be an issue at all to max slots late game.

KKRT00

Today we sent out a press release announcing that we have sold over $200,000USD of supporter packs to over 13,000 fans. 13 people have bought the Diamond Pack so far.

We're amazed by the generosity of the community and are deeply thankful. This money will help fund a substantial amount of future development and will secure the future of the game.

Of course, we're nowhere near the break-even point yet, but sales so far exceeded our expectations. Please continue to spread the word about Path of Exile!

We now support the option to upgrade from one type of supporter pack to another, if you'd like to increase the size of your contribution. Please email support@grindinggear.com to discuss this.
http://www.pathofexile.com/news/2012-04-11/crowdfunding

Wow.

docbon

What an amazing drop i've got for a 6th class, what a pity she's still not around ;\

q5fZj.jpg

BTW Cruel is too easy with my build ;\, we [me and my friend] just destroying it.

Currently trying a melee oriented ranger build to get an idea of what the second class would play like. Very fun to play so far, though very challenging due to low life. An augmented viper strike is my main skill (added cold damage, increased critical modifier), along with flicker strike which i combine with frenzy, and a diamond flask, for brief moments of absolute carnage. Definitely wouldn't recommend it for hardcore mode though.

eek5

I kind of regret donating. I got two chars to chaos and they get smashed. I got in on a chaos "leech" and there is just one guy with an OP build soloing it in a full party. WTF? Builds seem too equipment-dependent and people with good builds/equipment just get "richer" and more powerful while people with messed up builds are screwed. I spent so many hours farming fellshrine then go to craft gear and go from 100+ alterations to 0 and I have nothing to show for it. At level 66 and 63 I can barely solo chaos alone.

The worst part? Devs want to make the third (and final) difficulty harder than chaos when act3 comes out.

I feel like the devs are mixing up unfair mechanics with the idea of higher difficulty.

An example is the hailrake thread where people complain about bullshit like hailrake being able to one shot you from off screen. Dev response? We are making the other bosses even harder than hailrake!! (aka even more unfair)

Barter system seems interesting in theory but basically wealthy players = powerful players = even wealthier players = even more powerful players while everyone else just grinds for no gains. Because so many builds are gear dependent (i.e. melee requiring inc phys dmg of +150, spell witches needing huge spell dmg wands etc) at a certain point the only way to improve you char becomes grinding or getting lucky. Requiring luck to progress just doesn't sit right with me.

KKRT00

I kind of regret donating. I got two chars to chaos and they get smashed. I got in on a chaos "leech" and there is just one guy with an OP build soloing it in a full party. WTF? Builds seem too equipment-dependent and people with good builds/equipment just get "richer" and more powerful while people with messed up builds are screwed. I spent so many hours farming fellshrine then go to craft gear and go from 100+ alterations to 0 and I have nothing to show for it. At level 66 and 63 I can barely solo chaos alone.

The worst part? Devs want to make the third (and final) difficulty harder than chaos when act3 comes out.

I feel like the devs are mixing up unfair mechanics with the idea of higher difficulty.

An example is the hailrake thread where people complain about bullshit like hailrake being able to one shot you from off screen. Dev response? We are making the other bosses even harder than hailrake!! (aka even more unfair)

Barter system seems interesting in theory but basically wealthy players = powerful players = even wealthier players = even more powerful players while everyone else just grinds for no gains. Because so many builds are gear dependent (i.e. melee requiring inc phys dmg of +150, spell witches needing huge spell dmg wands etc) at a certain point the only way to improve you char becomes grinding or getting lucky. Requiring luck to progress just doesn't sit right with me.

All things You described are the point for hack and slash games. Harder bosses and areas are being designed with coop in mind.

msv

All things You described are the point for hack and slash games. Harder bosses and areas are being designed with coop in mind.
Chaos / current endgame isn't fun. 5l/6l drops are too low.

The way orbs work in the endgame is shite as well. It's good that they made a recipe for fusion orbs, but in the end, they're still completely useless. Such a low chance of getting 5l, let alone 6l. They should either get rid of fusion orbs, or make them always add links, perhaps with a tiny chance attached to it. Same goes for chromatic orbs. It's just nonsensical to actively punish using supposedly high value items, since 99/100 times you try, you turn the item into something worse than it was before.

This roulette style of (necessary for an actual viable build!) endgame crafting is more suited toward compulsive gamblers.

KKRT00

Chaos / current endgame isn't fun, period. 5l/6l drops are too low.

The way orbs work in the endgame is shite as well. It's good that they made a recipe for fusion orbs, but in the end, they're still completely useless. Such a low chance of getting 5l, let alone 6l. They should either get rid of fusion orbs, or make them always add links, perhaps with a tiny chance attached to it. Same goes for chromatic orbs. It's just nonsensical to actively punish using supposedly high value items, since 99/100 times you try, you turn the item into something worse than it was before.

This roulette style of (necessary for an actual viable build!) endgame crafting is more suited toward compulsive gamblers.

End game will be totally reworked [Chaos is more a placeholder than a real end game feature] and game is still balanced out. Yep, it has problems, its a close beta after all, but at its core, hack and slash games are about grinding items for Your builds.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/20049

Also trading will fix many of those issues.

eek5

Chaos isn't fun. There is a 20hr investment or whatever to even find if your build is viable. What is the point of having difficulty spike like that and then I read the manifesto and they want to make 3rd diff harder than chaos? Nope.

I don't mind grinding as long as it is fun. Grinding chaos is not fun. Grinding Fellshrine gets old. I spent like 5-10hr grinding orbs and got NOTHING for it. That kind of crafting system is terrible especially when builds are so gear dependent.

This kind of setup makes me wonder why they are not planning p2w because I bet people would pay out of their asses for better crafting odds.

End game will be totally reworked [Chaos is more a placeholder than a real end game feature] and game is still balanced out. Yep, it has problems, its a close beta after all, but at its core, hack and slash games are about grinding items for Your builds.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/20049

Also trading will fix many of those issues.

Dude I get that but grinding in this game is not fruitful unless you are lucky. If you get lucky it just snowballs because of gear-dependency; strong builds grind better and get more wealthy. It is not about skill at all which makes the gameplay feel unfair. In other hack and slash games (at least ones I enjoy0 grinding at least gets you somewhere. Gambler crafting pretty much means you have (high odds) of spending time grinding for absolutely NOTHING.

F2p games are all about player retention. When people play 40 hrs or whatever and dont get shit, can not progress their char then see guys rolling in valuable orbs running solo w/ xp leechers in half the time they will just stop playing.

An example: I have a lvl 66, 63, 40 and I have never seen a unique but there are guys that farm out 5+ per day running "party" solo. Fuck that lmao. It is even worse when there are chaos viable builds that pretty much require uniques (i.e. 5khp marauder, volls crits etc)

KKRT00

@eek5

Chaos is placeholder and game is still beta :) Write that on beta board to let the devs know, they are very open. You can even send PM with a topic to Chris to make sure he will read this feedback [he answered on all my pms].

Remember that game lacks more than 50 skills, new class and many keystone passives and whole proper end game content. If You got burn out or dont think something is fair, let them know and take a break to the next patch :)

Ps. Loot was broken in D2, but people still farmed hell out of it. PoE [D3 will be too] is based on rares and that by definition get lower odds to drop great item.

eek5

@eek5

Chaos is placeholder and game is still beta :) Write that on beta board to let the devs know, they are very open. You can even send PM with a topic to Chris to make sure he will read this feedback [he answered on all my pms].

Remember that game lacks more than 50 skills, new class and many keystone passives and whole proper end game content. If You got burn out or dont think something is fair, let them know and take a break to the next patch :)

The problem is the vocal minority in this game love getting fucked by RNG and bullshit unfair mechanics and clearly devs want to cater to them.

I know chaos is a placeholder but the manifesto says they want to make the third difficulty harder than chaos so the difficulty ramp is STILL going to be bullshit. Seriously, how does it get harder than getting one shotted by rare mobs lmao. My interpretation of an additional skills is that there will just be more builds that are viable up until chaos/third difficulty/whatever then oops have fun grinding and hope your time buys you luck. Luck based success is worse than p2w imo

Ps. Loot was broken in D2, but people still farmed hell out of it. PoE [D3 will be too] is based on rares and that by definition get lower odds to drop great item.

Does D3 REQUIRE you to have epic rares to succeed? I bet the answer is no

KKRT00

Does D3 REQUIRE you to have epic rares to succeed? I bet the answer is no

For Inferno? I bet it does.
They even said recently, that You will want to farm Hell before going to Inferno.

BTW i dont see luck based mechanics as bad, its part of this genre and not only loot-whore genre, but mmo genre too.
Of course it is bad if You need to farm for 100h to just progress somewhere, but to get stronger or find perfect items, its completely reasonable for me.

Ps. They dont want p2w, because they dont like it and it gives unfair advantage. Their motto is to make game that is completely playable and enjoyable even if You dont pay them anything.

eek5

Of course it is bad if You need to farm for 100h to just progress somewhere, but to get stronger or find perfect items, its completely reasonable for me.

Even following someone's premade build (and whats the point of 100 skills if you do this?), you deadend at a point that requires you to grind out 20, 30+ hrs to MAYBE get a chance to progress your character. That is broken as fuck.

p2w gives an unfair advantage? Is getting a lucky roll where you suddenly become chaos viable while someone who grinds 40h and rolls orbs into nothing fair?

Fun and playable for everyone? More like fun if you hit a jackpot. Let me tell you, building out two level 60+ chars that are completely useless was not fun for me. If I could pay to progress I probably would which is why the whole lack of p2w with the current system is so bizarre.

If their hook is to get people to grind out farming hours to pull the slot machine lever, I do not see how they will maintain player retention..

Unless they somehow make low level grinding fun. But who enjoys being a level 70 in a level 50 area where they have no control over their character progression?

KKRT00

Even following someone's premade build (and whats the point of 100 skills if you do this?), you deadend at a point that requires you to grind out 20, 30+ hrs to MAYBE get a chance to progress your character. That is broken as fuck.

p2w gives an unfair advantage? Is getting a lucky roll where you suddenly become chaos viable while someone who grinds 40h and rolls orbs into nothing fair?

Its a balance issue, nothing more ;]

And about p2w, remember that there will be trading. Even You havent got luck for crafting something decent, You could always trade currency for items.

eek5

And about p2w, remember that there will be trading. Even You havent got luck for crafting something decent, You could always trade currency for items.
Right except that people with optimal builds and epic gear can farm out currency at rates much, much, much higher than peasants.

Sounds like a balance issue alright.

They put so much emphasis on a unique and complex skill tree, etc. but then the bottom line is you need 200+ hrs, luck, and/or basically follow an OP/broken/premade skill tree to "succeed".

Oh and I haven't even mentioned that half the skill gems are locked behind the same RNG loot bullshit. Not to mention quality on gems makes a substantial impact but is locked away from unlucky/poor players. Yeah let me go ahead and trade 10gcp for a 20 quality gem. Oh wait it would take like 600 hrs to get 10gcp if you have shit gear.

Paid 10 bucks for the beta.

Rolled a witch, all I have is auto attack by punching. I can't kill much with it before I run out of potions and no loot has dropped so far. Furthest I got was a guy named Hillock who I couldn't even scratch.

Am I missing something? How do I get a spell to cast? Or am I supposed to be hitting people with my fists?

Top Bottom