• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

Raxum

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure about Resolute as I love to crit but if you say it's for the best, I'll take it :) Although I already took the +30 Agi passive... might as well refund it after I get resolute then.

Welcome to the club! I just felt in love with this game immediately. Also, if the pre-order thingy they set up is any indication (US$ 200k + in less than a week) the game will have a thriving and healthy future down the road.

The only reason I suggest it is you use it in combination with Heavy Strike and Sweep with More Melee Damage Support gems and you do plenty of damage. And in most 2H strength builds you don't get enough Dex to be hitting consistently later on. Honestly I find it difficult early on myself until I get that passive. But I do go straight strength.

KKRT00

Global chat is fucking awful on both sides. I don't know how it is in HC but in default people are so hateful. This is seriously the worst gaming community I've ever seen. If the playerbase doesn't drastically change, those players are basically going to sink this game. I was on last night and someone was asking pretty basic questions in normal and almost everyone told him to fuck off, called him racial slurs, to play a more "casual" game etc. It's pretty disgusting.

Thats really strange. I dont read global chat much, but dont remember to see such awful behaviors in past. PoE has really great alpha and IRC community that i'm more familiar with, but cant really complain about awful posts in Beta section on forum too.
General Forum though is another story, but thats for like every game unfortunately ;\

Atomski

i tend to totally ignore the banter in chat. I never seen it hateful.. but Ive seen them talk for hours about how POE is better than Diablo3 lol.

One thing about the community in this game that confuses me is the fact it seems impossible to find anyone to group with. Ive asked in global, ive asked in the towns.. no one seems interested in grouping.

i tend to totally ignore the banter in chat. I never seen it hateful.. but Ive seen them talk for hours about how POE is better than Diablo3 lol.

One thing about the community in this game that confuses me is the fact it seems impossible to find anyone to group with. Ive asked in global, ive asked in the towns.. no one seems interested in grouping.

yeah grouping is a problem. I think it has to do with the loot. People in your group can pick up everything leaving you with nothing.

I find the chat not helpful to new players. If you are new, read the mechanics thread in the forums, you will get yelled at for not doing it. Its just going to get worse for the free weekend.

TylerD

I am looking forward to the open weekend after watching TotalHalibut's vids. Will help pass the time before that other game releases.

Thanks to GAF for letting me know about the public weekend beta for this game!

Downloaded the client and Im just waiting for it to let me in! :)

Twinduct

I'd like one!

edit: Thanks! Installing now.

No worries =)
Upped my 'support package' so got another key.
I know giving it out during a OBW aint the best choice lol, but hey, at least you can continue playing this until the real Open Beta starts.

No worries =)
Upped my 'support package' so got another key.
I know giving it out during a OBW aint the best choice lol, but hey, at least you can continue playing this until the real Open Beta starts.

Any chance I could get it?

I was so close on the last one. lol xD

elfinke

So I'm looking forward to jumping in for this open beta weekend - shall thus be our hideout for discussion, or has someone started a new thread? I really like a lot of what I've seen of this game, so I'm hoping playing it lives up to the expectation.

I'll be jumping in for the first time as well, I've played Diablo 3 and am looking forward to comparing the two.

It's basically closer to what Diablo 2 would be like if it was made today, graphically that is.

Yep, that's what I'm expecting, and honestly what I wanted out of Diablo 3. I'm the first person to say that, right?

Brannon

I understand that this is beta, but damn near every time I click an entrance to Terraces or back to Shore Encampment, I get stuck on the loading screen? Is anybody else getting this as well?

the run from the town after dying is pretty brutal, unless there's a waypoint I'm missing somewhere.

Edit: I'm a moron, there's one up some stairs. Glad I found that relatively early, lol.

Spat_triate

Necromancers need some serious nerfin. Fighting 3 Necros (1 of them being a rare) in a room full of elemental skeletons was fun but pointed out some serious flaws. Mobs in this game don't seem to have any mana requirements for the spells they use.

eek5

Necromancers need some serious nerfin. Fighting 3 Necros (1 of them being a rare) in a room full of elemental skeletons was fun but pointed out some serious flaws. Mobs in this game don't seem to have any mana requirements for the spells they use.

Wait until you hit Merviel. Non stop ice spear spam lol

Raxum

Wait until you hit Merviel. Non stop ice spear spam lol

Yeah I just tried to do merveil on a bow ranger, that was hell, you can't dodge the spells, so I was basically kiting her through poison clouds for 10-15 minutes, the second part wasn't quite as bad, but I had to stop the first part of her from seeing me so I wouldn't get 3-hit by ice spears or the pulse spell.

epmode

Man, that skill tree is intimidating.

Chat is awful.

All of my prior knowledge of this game consisted of screenshots so I didn't expect a crazy non-gold economy like this. And I don't understand the gem system at all. Time to read the manual!

eek5

Yeah I just tried to do merveil on a bow ranger, that was hell, you can't dodge the spells, so I was basically kiting her through poison clouds for 10-15 minutes, the second part wasn't quite as bad, but I had to stop the first part of her from seeing me so I wouldn't get 3-hit by ice spears or the pulse spell.

The second part is a joke. They need to just average the "difficulty" of both phases and it'd be perfect. I think if they had her ice spear spread out more so you could dodge it at range and put a pause or some kind of indication that she was casting it, it'd be perfect. If you ever get hit it'd be your fault otherwise you could dodge and attack with no problems.

elfinke

Man, that skill tree is intimidating.

Chat is awful.

All of my prior knowledge of this game consisted of screenshots so I didn't expect a crazy non-gold economy like this. And I don't understand the gem system at all. Time to read the manual!

Ugh, the global chat reminded me of the bad old days of Barrens chat all over again.

The skill tree instantly reminded me of FFX, which I'm sure has been mentioned a thousand times over. I love it though. Chat aside, the initial impressions the game made were really positive. I'm looking forward to sitting down more thoroughly with it tonight after dinner.

Also, Hillock looked like an echidna when I was done him!

ezekial45

Banned
I don't know what it is about these loot based action-rpgs, but they put a serious strain on my GPU. I was just at the login screen for this game, and my card starting heating up. Just like Titan Quest and Diablo III.

I guess I'm gonna have to skip this one.

eek5

I don't know what it is about these loot based action-rpgs, but they put a serious strain on my GPU. I was just at the login screen for this game, and my card starting heating up. Just like Titan Quest and Diablo III.

What are y our system specs?

Raxum

The second part is a joke. They need to just average the "difficulty" of both phases and it'd be perfect. I think if they had her ice spear spread out more so you could dodge it at range and put a pause or some kind of indication that she was casting it, it'd be perfect. If you ever get hit it'd be your fault otherwise you could dodge and attack with no problems.

Yeah, that actually sounds like a really good system for it, or maybe as was mentioned before, if the enemies had a mana pool to take from, so they only had some many casts of the spells and then waiting for mana pool to regen. Kind of like a cooldown I guess.

The second part needs to move faster, I easily could move out of it's ranged attack and just turn it into a pin-cushion from out of its range.

That said I have yet to fight these on another class. I'm currently making a trap-based shadow, which is quite interesting because you have to stack spell damage for traps. Also, Ethereal Knives is affected by spell damage, which I found interesting. Might make Merveil difficult again though.

Nabs

Have you tried forcing vsync (maybe externally with d3d)?

elfinke

Have you tried forcing vsync (maybe externally with d3d)?

Yep, definitely try this. Plenty of people were having overheating troubles in the menus of D3 (or was it something else recent?) because their card would render them at a million FPS. Turning v-sync on fixes that.

Worth a try at least.

Am I playing this wrong?

Or is this game making me do trips back to town every 5 minutes. I wish it had a free portal instead of a scroll portal which isn't cheap.

KKRT00

Am I playing this wrong?

Or is this game making me do trips back to town every 5 minutes. I wish it had a free portal instead of a scroll portal which isn't cheap.

Yep, You are picking too much stuff ;] Only like 1% of blue items is worth picking up :)
BTW there is town portal skill gem, but is quite rare and portal scrolls are dropping like crazy later, to that point that after 30 levels i had like 120 in my stash ;p

Raide

Am I playing this wrong?

Finding the waypoints helps out but having to portal does suck.

Tried out the new Shadow. Traps are cool, though waiting for them to regen when zoning in is rubbish. Also, they feel fragile as hell for the first few levels. Feel more like a Duelist than anything else.

Only pick up stuff you can use. I pick up all rares and ID them. ID stuff I could wear. Pick up magic items to sell. I usually go back to town after every waypoint. Until I get a hefty amount of back up scrolls/items in my stash. Then I stop picking up magic items I can't use.

Spat_triate

I thought Merveil and the Necros were bad, but I ran into my first boss that used "Flicker Strike".

Yea umm what the fuck?

As a (bow focused) ranger, you're fucked. There is literally nothing you can do against mobs that use Flicker Strike except put your back into a wall and pound on the potion keys. Ugh.

So, strarted playing last night.

Like the graphics, the animations etc.

The skill system seems kinda convoluted. Too much stuff to choose from. When I went to lvl 2, it took me awhile to figure out what to choose.

I chose a Templr and have been doing a Str/Int build. Fireball spell is great so far.

Dont like the whole economy system with the identity scrolls and want Town Portals to be cheaper, lol.

Overall, very good game but with Diablo 3 coming, I wont play this game for awhile.

KKRT00

Dont see the problem with scrolls drop, i've just made a Shadow and got him to level 5. I've got 16 scrolls of wisdom and 6 scrolls of portal just by clearing 3 areas.

Zoom in feature is awesome and art really holds up well. I'll post some shots in screenshot thread soon :)

Drops are better now i think and i got two rares already, one from Hillock and one from Fire Witch.

Traps are really neat and Shadow really lacks hp. Also i've almost died to medicine chest boss, but mostly because i wasnt careful enough, still it was strange for me to get to so low on hp at lvl 4.

Gileadxv

Banned
I really enjoyed the last stress test, now...not so much. I've debated as to whether this is due to having played Diablo 3 since then, and while I'm sure that's part of it, I think the larger culprit is the new balancing changes they made (which fortunately can be fixed). I played 13 levels of the Shadow class and was having a brutal time, so I started a new ranger (I had gotten one to level 20 during the previous stress test) and started having a bit of a better time. However, I just feel like right now I'm constantly being rushed by 7-10 mobs (sometimes with a mini-elite boss thrown in), and it's not that enjoyable.

A large part of the problem is that my attacks don't seem that responsive. I sometimes I have to repeatedly push a button multiple times for a skill to go off -- usually when I need it the most. I could be wrong, but it feels like the enemies are given preference in regards to attack commands, meaning that when given a choice, the game will choose to execute the enemy attack as opposed to the player's (again, this is my perception and may not be indicative of reality). Plus, some areas are horribly balanced. Getting mobbed by 7 ghost pirates with Flicker attack is an instant death as a ranger. Finally, being frozen by a mob and then immediately killed (while initially at full health and shields) is frustrating -- especially when you then have to run through two levels to reengage the boss again.

I was fighting Merveil and decided to open a portal to town at the beginning of the stage so I could have a quick exit/return. Unfortunately, after I died (frozen = instagib), the server crashed...which means re-clearing the previous two levels, including the mini-bosses again. And...I just don't see that happening. There's a lot of great things in the game (I like the graphics, and the addition of traps are fun), but it's difficulty needs to be tweaked for it to be enjoyable (I was playing on the default setting). They also need to make selling your items less of a clunky experience. For a game that centers around procurement of loot, having to drag every item into the sell box (as opposed to just right clicking on an item) is cumbersome.

I haven't given up on the game (though I likely won't play again this weekend), but I'm curious to see if I will be willing to return once Diablo 3 releases.

What's going on in the global chat you guys are referring to? I can't get online at the moment but am looking forward to trying it out more, even just as a way to pass the time till the 15th.

Played for a good 6 or so hours in the open stress test. Got my Witch to 13 and had quite a good time. Didn't really run into any trouble until Upper Prison. Fuck Diablos and their curses, makes all my spells miss :/ I might have to check this out since its going to be F2P

Spat_triate

I really enjoyed the last stress test, now...not so much. I've debated as to whether this is due to having played Diablo 3 since then, and while I'm sure that's part of it, I think the larger culprit is the new balancing changes they made (which fortunately can be fixed). I played 13 levels of the Shadow class and was having a brutal time, so I started a new ranger (I had gotten one to level 20 during the previous stress test) and started having a bit of a better time. However, I just feel like right now I'm constantly being rushed by 7-10 mobs (sometimes with a mini-elite boss thrown in), and it's not that enjoyable.

A large part of the problem is that my attacks don't seem that responsive. I sometimes I have to repeatedly push a button multiple times for a skill to go off -- usually when I need it the most. I could be wrong, but it feels like the enemies are given preference in regards to attack commands, meaning that when given a choice, the game will choose to execute the enemy attack as opposed to the player's (again, this is my perception and may not be indicative of reality). Plus, some areas are horribly balanced. Getting mobbed by 7 ghost pirates with Flicker attack is an instant death as a ranger. Finally, being frozen by a mob and then immediately killed (while initially at full health and shields) is frustrating -- especially when you then have to run through two levels to reengage the boss again.

I was fighting Merveil and decided to open a portal to town at the beginning of the stage so I could have a quick exit/return. Unfortunately, after I died (frozen = instagib), the server crashed...which means re-clearing the previous two levels, including the mini-bosses again. And...I just don't see that happening. There's a lot of great things in the game (I like the graphics, and the addition of traps are fun), but it's difficulty needs to be tweaked for it to be enjoyable (I was playing on the default setting). They also need to make selling your items less of a clunky experience. For a game that centers around procurement of loot, having to drag every item into the sell box (as opposed to just right clicking on an item) is cumbersome.

I haven't given up on the game (though I likely won't play again this weekend), but I'm curious to see if I will be willing to return once Diablo 3 releases.

Press Shift+LMB on item you want to sell.

mind.gif

Top Bottom