• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Man, just got done playing for about 3 hrs. Didn't really like the game that much when I first played it yesterday but once I got used to the controls and some of the game's small annoyances I really had a blast.
My only real complaint though is how when you've cleared one part of a dungeon and go into one of the sub dungeons and return later the part you should have already cleared has reset. A minor complaint I suppose but mainly I just want to feel like I making some headway into the game. Plus my ocd makes me want to re-clear it...

My only real complaint though is how when you've cleared one part of a dungeon and go into one of the sub dungeons and return later the part you should have already cleared has reset. A minor complaint I suppose but mainly I just want to feel like I making some headway into the game. Plus my ocd makes me want to re-clear it...

It resets after 15 minutes out of the area.

Man, just got done playing for about 3 hrs. Didn't really like the game that much when I first played it yesterday but once I got used to the controls and some of the game's small annoyances I really had a blast.

Find those waypoints so you can skip certain parts. But yeah I know what you mean. In the prison last night I spent 30 mins reclearing once I died right before the boss. It almost discourages exploration because if you take your time and explore, then die in an advanced floor of a dungeon, you have to reclear the previous parts. That can be frustrating. Still loving this game though.

Has anyone gotten it to work on a Mac? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/29460/page/1 has a download client, but I ended up with this:
jQIDM.png

Played many, many hours last night and throughout the night.

Several little issues, but the content is so extensive and the looting so fun that it's really easy to overlook. The fact that plasticpassion was kind and patient enough to shepherd me through the early game certainly didn't hurt.

Really liking the abundant looting and the massive skill tree. I have to stop myself from planning out 10 skills ahead whenever I level up.

SteveWD40

Find those waypoints so you can skip certain parts. But yeah I know what you mean. In the prison last night I spent 30 mins reclearing once I died right before the boss. It almost discourages exploration because if you take your time and explore, then die in an advanced floor of a dungeon, you have to reclear the previous parts. That can be frustrating. Still loving this game though.

Has anyone gotten it to work on a Mac? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/29460/page/1 has a download client, but I ended up with this:

Wait, it has a mac client? I had no idea :O

The_Monk

Wait, it has a mac client? I had no idea :O

I guess you must use Wine? I would love if they port it to Mac without needing any secondary application.

I have Bootcamp but I mainly use the Mac side. Will keep an eye on any updates for this matter, game is looking beyond good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Played many, many hours last night and throughout the night.

Several little issues, but the content is so extensive and the looting so fun that it's really easy to overlook. The fact that plasticpassion was kind and patient enough to shepherd me through the early game certainly didn't hurt.

Really liking the abundant looting and the massive skill tree. I have to stop myself from planning out 10 skills ahead whenever I level up.

Agree 100%. Some things are off once in a while, some things are questionable, but overall, the game is simply amazing. PoE feels incredible.

Open beta isn't far off and they don't get wiped, at least that's what I recall.
edit:
^ nvm, thanks for the answer

Haven't found anything about wiping or not on the main site. Can someone confirm that characters from the Beta are getting carried over into the final game?!?

I would instantly pay 10$ to get into the beta.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Although you're buying Beta access, your characters and items will still be wiped along with the rest of the Beta characters when we enter Open Beta. If we wipe characters or move them to a "Legacy League" for technical or balance reasons before Open Beta, your characters will be affected along with everyone else. Purchasing Beta access does not entitle you to any special treatment in game and you can still be muted or banned for inappropriate behaviour.

They follow up that sentence saying IF we wipe, but the forums have mentioned the wipe before, too. If they do anything, they'll move CB characters to the Legacy League where you can still play with other CB folk.

Nymerio

They will wipe all characters at the start of open beta. The IF is concerning any wipes before open beta.

I already have a beta key, but I'm waiting for open beta to begin. One wipe was enough for me :)

I've come the conclusion my real life buddies I was saving keys for aren't gonna play so I added my extra 2 below. Please post if you took one so others know.

Quote to see

SteveWD40

They will wipe all characters at the start of open beta. The IF is concerning any wipes before open beta.

I already have a beta key, but I'm waiting for open beta to begin. One wipe was enough for me :)

This is what I meant to say, I just didn't put it clearly enough.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Might have been asked in an earlier page...

There a list of Gaffers out there I can friend and party with?

Just started yesterday.

Impressions
1. I like the level up system more than I probably should. Of course, it's very FF10-esque and I love the variety and flexibility it gives you
2. What the fuck?! No Shift to stand in place to attack?! Is it in the options somewhere?
3. Very cool bunch of systems. Potions, gems as skills, gems leveling up, merchants, items leveling up equipment, etc etc etc.
4. It doesn't have the flash and style of D3, but I'll be damned if I'm not having more fun than another boring round of farming.
5. Quests are kind of dull thus far. Enemies aren't very varied.
6. Love the variety of classes.

OMG SHIFT CLICK! WHERE ART THOU!?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Eh?!

I couldn't get it to work for the life of me and had to click each enemy separately to attack it.

I'm going to give it another try now...

Jac_Solar

Does anyone else feel that the standard/default melee attack of the Shadow class is awkward -- it lacks a distinct sound/noise, the animation is short and stiff while the enemy barely offers any feedback. (This also extends to some ability attacks.)

Is this a beta issue, or is it like this with other classes as well?

But the Bow is incredible. Path of Exile definitely has the best type of bow gameplay in this genre I think. (Maybe all around.)

eek5

Does anyone else feel that the standard/default melee attack of the Shadow class is awkward -- it lacks a distinct sound/noise, the animation is short and stiff while the enemy barely offers any feedback. (This also extends to some ability attacks.)

Is this a beta issue, or is it like this with other classes as well?

But the Bow is incredible. Path of Exile definitely has the best type of bow gameplay in this genre I think. (Maybe all around.)

There is a lack of feedback on a lot of the animations/attacks for all the classes I've played.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'll just clarify it by saying 'make it work like Diablo'

I'm well aware shift clicking holds you in place, but it just isn't as responsive as I'd like it to be. Reading on some random threads tells me there are some issues with it.

They basically said you have to let go of shit and the mouse button completely. I'm used to holding mouse to run and then pressing shift to hold myself in place and to start attacking.

I'm playing a templar that summons skeles and zombies. God DAMN does it get annoying when I'm back there sniping with my arrows and press the button to summon skeles and he runs forward and then summons for whatever reason. I read that it's another problem with skills forcing you to stay in place instead of hitting it and then running.

Anyone else running into this bug?

It's with the frozen trap (freezing trap?). I drop it on the ground, then use "D" to detonate it, then proceed to right click to start using my attack, but instead of attacking, my character just does the detonate animation again instead.

Gonna go post the issue on the beta forum too, but was just curious.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll just clarify it by saying 'make it work like Diablo'

I'm well aware shift clicking holds you in place, but it just isn't as responsive as I'd like it to be. Reading on some random threads tells me there are some issues with it.

They basically said you have to let go of shit and the mouse button completely. I'm used to holding mouse to run and then pressing shift to hold myself in place and to start attacking.

I'm playing a templar that summons skeles and zombies. God DAMN does it get annoying when I'm back there sniping with my arrows and press the button to summon skeles and he runs forward and then summons for whatever reason. I read that it's another problem with skills forcing you to stay in place instead of hitting it and then running.

I'll be honest...I played SO much Diablo, Hellfire, D2, LoD, and MXL. On top of that, I've played all editions of Fate, Torchlight, and TQ:IT. Adjusting to PoE took zero time. I understand your frustration, but I've had no problems with it on my Archer at all. I think you just need to get used to clicking more, haha.

My only complaint is arrows in the forest with all the trees. So many trees...

eek5

I like the witch the most. I didn't like the shadow class at all, at least after 20-30 levels or whatever. The skill tree in that section seems to be poorly laid out and I couldn't find the skills I needed to have fun with it.

Yeah, I've had some issues with my Shadow build, even after leveling up a good deal. I think I'll either start a new Shadow character or a Witch... I need my AoE attacks.

I like the witch the most. I didn't like the shadow class at all, at least after 20-30 levels or whatever. The skill tree in that section seems to be poorly laid out and I couldn't find the skills I needed to have fun with it.

Yeah, I've had some issues with my Shadow build, even after leveling up a good deal. I think I'll either start a new Shadow character or a Witch... I need my AoE attacks.

I admit I didn't play the shadow class very many levels. Perhaps I liked the potential. Maybe they will get enough good feedback on the official forums that they'll work on it.

Perkel

Banned
I think Thread title should be changed.

It's confusing for a lot of people.

Official Path of Exile beta thread. And there should be some good actual FAQ with link to PoE site shop with beta key.

Game is very good and need to get promoted better by people who like it.

What do you think ?

Probably wait for open beta.

I admit I didn't play the shadow class very many levels. Perhaps I liked the potential. Maybe they will get enough good feedback on the official forums that they'll work on it.
Just get tons of attack speed and do flicker strike. You just have to keep your health up while you fly around the screen. Get low on life, whirling blades yourself out. I do think they still need a better AOE abilty than they currently have.

KKRT00

I think Thread title should be changed.

It's confusing for a lot of people.

Official Path of Exile beta thread. And there should be some good actual FAQ with link to PoE site shop with beta key.

Game is very good and need to get promoted better by people who like it.

What do you think ?

It doesnt matter now. PoE will get new topic as soon as Open Beta launch.

Island

Anyone have a invite for the beta? I am bored of D3, and Torchlight 2 isn't out yet.

Lot's of people raving about this at work, but no invites :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Money is tight (Had to pass on the Secret World), and saving for Guild Wars 2... wanted to try it before I payed.

Thanks for the info though!

Open beta is coming in about a month or so anyways, so don't fret. You'll be able to play for free soon enough!

Top Bottom