• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh OK - the way KKRT00's post sounded, you can't re-enter the map (can't enter the same map twice?).

That makes more sense to be able to use all the portals, though.

syko de4d

it will be a really hard and satisfying expierence to do a really rare Unique Map in a 6 Man Party.
If u die one time... is over, no chance of epic loot. It´s like a mini Hardcore mode ^^

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
it will be a really hard and satisfying expierence to do a really rare Unique Map in a 6 Man Party.
If u die one time... is over, no chance of epic loot. It´s like a mini Hardcore mode ^^

Yeah, that will be pretty sick.

I actually haven't partied at all in this game yet. The loot being FFA sort of sucks since I'm a Ranger...I stand no chance against a melee loot rush. Did they change the FFA to timer based yet?

Also, is there a list of GAF folk playing so we can party up together?

KKRT00

Oh OK - the way KKRT00's post sounded, you can't re-enter the map (can't enter the same map twice?).

That makes more sense to be able to use all the portals, though.

Thats correct. If You're doing map alone and leave it with portal scroll You cant go back to the same instance. Going through new portal [other one from those 6], will create new instance.

At least thats how I understand that quote
When players enter their Map, they appear near a portal at the beginning. If they use a Portal scroll while in the area, it moves the starting portal to where they are standing. This means that when they re-enter the Map via the Eternal Laboratory (where they consume one of the available portals), they will be at the new portal location, as opposed to the initial portal location. This is convenient for bringing friends in to help with the challenges of the area.

syko de4d

So if you die in these maps you lose everything in your inventory?

ok, not so hardcore ^^
but alone u can only die 5 times and the map is closed, if u play in full party u are out when u die one time...

When i read the one quote from KKRT00 it looks like that the normal TP only change the start position/portal on the Map, so if u leave and come back one of the 6 portals is gone. There will be no new instance.

Raxum

Thats correct. If You're doing map alone and leave it with portal scroll You cant go back to the same instance. Going through new portal [other one from those 6], will create new instance.

At least thats how I understand that quote

The way I understood that was that the group of portals would then send you to where you used the portal scroll from within your current instance. It would seem kind of silly for it to reset every time, I would say it works somewhat like the current instances, but a town portal scroll takes you back to the eternal laboratory instead of town, and you only have 6 chances, which can be used on other players if you're in a party.

KKRT00

. It would seem kind of silly for it to reset every time, I would say it works somewhat like the current instances, but a town portal scroll takes you back to the eternal laboratory instead of town, and you only have 6 chances, which can be used on other players if you're in a party.

I think it would be great from design standpoint, because it would force You to clean zone in one run or use coop for getting all items out of zone.

syko de4d

I think it is a good way how they want to do it.

If every map get closed after one death, this would be to frustrating for many players.

But with the Systeme the player still not has infinity lifes.

Alone u have 5 lifes, in a 3er group your complete group has only 3 lifes.

If u want the one death and is over expierence u can do the maps in a 6 Man Group.

I got the Kiwi (?) starter pack tonight and leveled to 4 or so. It's fun. I can see how it will become addictive. I don't want to play too much though considering characters will be wiped at some point. I'll play casually when I have free time I suppose.

Some things I noticed that could be better:
-Selling items should be quicker (ie just right click on the item to automatically put it in the vendor's inventory). Manually dragging every item in a loot-whore game is tedious and too time-consuming.
-The dialog screens could be better. I had a difficult time differentiating what was quest information or just dialog between NPCs/characters.

Interfectum

Started playing last night... It's fun but man, the skill tree is a bit much. I have no idea what I want to do with my character. I'm all for complexity but perhaps a little direction in the beginning would be nice.

Twinduct

Started playing last night... It's fun but man, the skill tree is a bit much. I have no idea what I want to do with my character. I'm all for complexity but perhaps a little direction in the beginning would be nice.

It's overwhelming as fuck. I'd suggest you take a look at upgrade paths and set your goal with it. Like I'm currently just focusing on increasing my attacks speed and damage done with single handed weapons. So I look at a big perk/ unlock and decided on the best path to get to it (what I feel will most benefit my build).

I didn't do this for my first few characters though heh.

It isn't as intimidating as it initially seems once you figure out the paths and how you want to build your character. Keep in mind skills you don't set up on the skill tree might also be available to you via skill gems

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

looks complicated....but it ain't.

You just find shit that supports your central idea for the character like bows, pets, traps, magic. Then you just pick shit along the way to those nodes. The only curve balls are
A: classes put you closer to some shit than others.
B: There are two types of special nodes. One that packages stats around a simple idea like shooting bows more quickly and with more velocity and another that gives you some unique mod most of which can't really be of use to anybody but min-maxing freaks like the ability to spend hp instead of mana for spells or energy shield being converted to evasion.

but at the end of the day it's all the same. Just picking up random nodes you think would beef up your character in a meaningful way.

I'm getting more and more excited for the new patch. The end game looks really cool. I've probably put close to 100 hours into the previous beta patches, so I'm trying to stand strong and wait til they release new content before I jump back in.

I pretty much exclusively played this in Hardcore mode, but the maps stuff really makes me want to roll a softcore character so I can be a little relaxed and still see the endgame content. Hardcore just takes so much focus. Sometimes I just want to click things while watching a video.

KKRT00

Thanks! Now I just need set items added to get me all hooked heh :p

There wont be set items for a long time, because they cant get them right.
Chris stated many times that sets force You to use all sets items and that alone blocks gear progression. Because of set bonuses You cant replace items with better ones.
Its also decreasing build diversity.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Are they going to offer different gender for each soon as premium item? Last time I read that different gender for each class could be too expensive to remodel for all weapon/armor/animation.

syko de4d

Are they going to offer different gender for each soon as premium item? Last time I read that different gender for each class could be too expensive to remodel for all weapon/armor/animation.

i think, when it comes then in a far far away future... really far far away

I think I'll be picking up the Kiwi pack here soon. Loved what I played on the open weekend a few weeks back, and while Im not as down as some are on D3, but I do find the loot unrewarding as all I get is trash.... which is a problem when playing a "looter".

This seems much more involved though, intimidating as Forsaken said. But look forward to it. Watching the end game maps video among others and reading how they are adjusting and going about improving the game has me very impressed.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Well I've been playing a witch, I really liked that video of a melee witch but for now I'm just a minion witch. I did run into a problem with this build and bosses. Right now I'm fighting the siren boss and there is nothing for me to kill to create my minion in her lair. So it's just me running in a circle dropping a few weak skills and eventually dying. Anyone have some advice for her.

syko de4d

Well I've been playing a witch, I really liked that video of a melee witch but for now I'm just a minion witch. I did run into a problem with this build and bosses. Right now I'm fighting the siren boss and there is nothing for me to kill to create my minion in her lair. So it's just me running in a circle dropping a few weak skills and eventually dying. Anyone have some advice for her.

u have summone Skeletons Gem? You can cast them without dead bodies.

Or wait for 0.9.12 ^^:
0.9.12: This patch will fix most of the issues with Minions.

Cold resistant rings.

Trade in a iron ring and a blue gem and you get them from the merchants.

Twinduct

There wont be set items for a long time, because they cant get them right.
Chris stated many times that sets force You to use all sets items and that alone blocks gear progression. Because of set bonuses You cant replace items with better ones.
Its also decreasing build diversity.

Yeah I know. But the same was said about unique items at the start ... so maybe one day heh :p

I would love to have some lower sets though .. like from 20-58 or whatever is considered pre-endgame. At least in that way the initial grind feels slightly more rewarding :p

Bought the Kiwi edition last night (using D3 auction money).

Played up through 11, but wanted to keep going. Really fun experience so far.

I love the skills as drops and leveling them through combat ideas, I love the potions, I really like the passive tree, I love the currency ideas, and I love the endgame map ideas (I really enjoyed Mythos, and this reminds me of that).

This game is full of brilliant ideas. I really hope it fully delivers throughout the experience once it goes live.

The game looks ugly as sin in my opinion (like Risen from an isometric angle), but that's also fine by me. I just don't like 'realistic' art in games like this.

The game looks ugly as sin in my opinion (like Risen from an isometric angle), but that's also fine by me. I just don't like 'realistic' art in games like this.

I'm really looking forward to more information about how the purchasable items will affect the looks in game. Ie, what will we be able to buy?

Also it will be nice to see how much things cost. Right now I have 250 points from the pre-purchase closed beta buy in. I wonder how much that same amount will cost once the game is released.

eek5

I'm really looking forward to more information about how the purchasable items will affect the looks in game. Ie, what will we be able to buy?

Also it will be nice to see how much things cost. Right now I have 250 points from the pre-purchase closed beta buy in. I wonder how much that same amount will cost once the game is released.

IIRC one of the things mentioned is that there will be alternate genders. There will probably be a bunch of cosmetic stuff too (dyes? costumes?)

Ashodin

Been playing around with a 2H sword duelist. I wanted to do a templar but I just can't get around the old man being a character.

So I've decided to make a Mystic Knight out of the duelist, yeah!

SteveWD40

Been playing around with a 2H sword duelist. I wanted to do a templar but I just can't get around the old man being a character.

So I've decided to make a Mystic Knight out of the duelist, yeah!

Same, it's actually a really good spec I found, with the right skills such as Cleave.

Top Bottom