• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

syko de4d

You cant circles, because refresh rate on hold button around 0.5s, but when You click fast and force input on engine, You can circles same as in D3.

this is sth. i don´t get.
Why does GGG not reduce the refresh time? It looks like a easy fix, with a really good impact.

Raxum

Why does GGG not reduce the refresh time? It looks like a easy fix, with a really good impact.

Maybe there's some sort of engine limitation or something in the way their networking code is written that doesn't allow for a quicker refresh rate on held mouse button? Only thing I can think of is something to do with latency, but I haven't really worked much with networking code and online games so I have no idea. Is there a thread in the PoE forums about this? That's the other possible reason, maybe no-one's told them they want this fixed?

syko de4d

Maybe there's some sort of engine limitation or something in the way their networking code is written that doesn't allow for a quicker refresh rate on held mouse button? Only thing I can think of is something to do with latency, but I haven't really worked much with networking code and online games so I have no idea. Is there a thread in the PoE forums about this? That's the other possible reason, maybe no-one's told them they want this fixed?

i have made a thread and the first and only answer right now:

Short answer: Because you don't understand how movement works.

Long answer: Search for the dev post about rapidly changing movement direction.

Can´t find a dev post about "rapidly changing movement direction" ...

And the short answer really did not help. Why does it work in other Games and not in PoE? xD

This really pisses me off. It's like the system is rigged to work in the enemies favor both ways. You have both the right area on the enemy highlighted when you trigger the attack and also the appropriate proximity when attack animation completes for the attack to be successful. If everything was based purely on proximity then it would be a lot more fair. You could time your swings to connect when an enemy comes in close, for example.

Would you rather have enemies hitting you while you metres away? I'd rather have the ability to miss if they move away and also have the ability to dodge if I move away.

Also, on two of your points above, I LOVE the small inventory space. Classic Diablo. Playing around and making room is GREAT! F***ing hate it that it's gone from Diablo 3.
Portal Scrolls drop like nothing so there's no reason to not go back to town if you want to sell. I pick up a ton of Blues and Yellows and go back every now and then after 30 minutes of killing stuff.

Other point, yes, you're SUPPOSED to lock yourself out of Dex equipment if you choose not to pick Dex skills. I locked myself out of INT and DEX and I'm getting tons of upgrades that it's not an issue.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would you rather have enemies hitting you while you metres away? I'd rather have the ability to miss if they move away and also have the ability to dodge if I move away.

No, I would not rather have that. I didn't realize that was the trade off for having decent targeting and hit boxes. It certainly doesn't have to be.

Also, the combat you are dreaming of does not exist in any ARPG that depends on click-to-move. You would really need direct movement control to have any kind of meaningful melee dodging.

Also, on two of your points above, I LOVE the small inventory space. Classic Diablo. Playing around and making room is GREAT! F***ing hate it that it's gone from Diablo 3.
Portal Scrolls drop like nothing so there's no reason to not go back to town if you want to sell. I pick up a ton of Blues and Yellows and go back every now and then after 30 minutes of killing stuff.

Now that's just a lie... If you're picking up blues, you're going to fill up your inventory in like 5 to 10 minutes, not 30.

Other point, yes, you're SUPPOSED to lock yourself out of Dex equipment if you choose not to pick Dex skills. I locked myself out of INT and DEX and I'm getting tons of upgrades that it's not an issue.

Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. Like I said, it was just my impression of the game. It just seems like it quickly funnels you into using a single active offensive ability. Maybe that's their intent.

Raxum

No, I would not rather have that. I didn't realize that was the trade off for having decent targeting and hit boxes. It certainly doesn't have to be.

Also, the combat you are dreaming of does not exist in any ARPG that depends on click-to-move. You would really need direct movement control to have any kind of meaningful melee dodging.

I would have to disagree with this, especially for PoE. One of the builds I made is a shadow that uses Whirling blades as both an offensive and escaping ability. Upon seeing spells, or tells of big melee attacks I can use this ability to quickly dodge out of the way of spells and melee abilities. Honestly, the point and click interface doesn't have to mean bad for dodging. I'm sure there'd be a way to implement dodging with a double click to roll and target locking if you really wanted to implement it.

Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable. Like I said, it was just my impression of the game. It just seems like it quickly funnels you into using a single active offensive ability. Maybe that's their intent.

I also disagree with this, as many of the characters I play use multiple active abilities, such as the build I mentioned above, I use detonate dead to deal with necromancers, phase run for quickly running back to places if I happen to die(not actually equipped to a slot all the time), also Viper strike for bosses, and dual strike for most other enemies, while using whirling blades for quick movement as my shadow doesn't have a great deal of survivability. Yet I've still managed to get most of the way through act 2 in difficulty 2 like that, albeit with a fair amount of challenge, but that's part of why I like the build. Anyway, my point is, you don't really get funnelled into a single active ability, but you can get funnelled into 1-2 groups of active abilities (str, int, dex).

It's still beta, so they might be able to do something about it. I know what you mean by missing. It usually happens when I'm slowed with slower attack animations.

It's not too annoying for me. Just have to play it like it is and use my medium range attacks.

Now that's just a lie... If you're picking up blues, you're going to fill up your inventory in like 5 to 10 minutes, not 30.

Definitely more than 15 minutes. I clear half the map just without having to go back. And even if I get unlucky with a bunch of 8 slot items, I accumulated two stacks of portal scrolls from playing to level 40 that I'm using portals liberally.

Did you know Diablo 2 was designed to force players to go back about 15 minute or less? It's a trick to have players change environments very often to stimulate environment changes. Town -> Fields -> Town -> Fields -> Cave -> Town -> Cave -> Fields. Changing every 5-15 minutes, I believe.

The strategy is to pick passives that synergize, pick paths with the most benefit for the build, and go for it. My "godlike" Marauder build ditches mana with blood magic, forgets about accuracy and crit by taking resolute technique, and takes as many HP regen + max HP as possible.

I really only use two techniques and 2 escapes, but my witch uses like everything.

eek5

That has nothing to do with latency, hit boxes, or targetting. Early D3 beta had hits coming at the end of enemy animations and they changed it to near the beginning. There is absolutely no reason PoE couldn't have the best of both worlds.

I'm sorry but this whole comparison to D3 is stupid. I'm just looking at PoE as PoE and the combat is awful. It needs a lot of improvement. If you want to be an apologist and say there is nothing wrong with it then fine, go ahead and do that but it's just plain denial. There are so many small things going wrong with it (targeting/hitboxes, slow animations, slow refresh rate on movement, bad pathing) that I'm honestly worried that they won't be able to fix it. Yeah you can get around it by using ranged/AoE skills and pretending that clicking on an enemy that moved then walking to where they were and brushing up against them instead of attacking them or clicking on one of three enemies in front of you and whiffing when you have resolute technique isn't an issue but you can't tout that PoE has so many build options on one hand then argue that combat is fine as long as you cut out half your options.

Nymerio

Is this hitbox stuff something that was introduced recently? I have been playing since the first public stress test and never had any problems with hitting enemies, neither had any of my friends who tried it...

eek5

Is this hitbox stuff something that was introduced recently? I have been playing since the first public stress test and never had any problems with hitting enemies, neither had any of my friends who tried it...

Do you play a melee character?

V_Arnold

lol idk then. consider yourself lucky if you have zero problems targeting

It is not really that obvious when someone does not see better alternatives in other games.
Also, PoE combat is really affected by higher than usual latency. When it is sub-80ms, it is quite adequate, even with the targeting issues. But when it is 100ms+, it starts falling apart.

In that regard as well, D3's online system is superior, imho, because I do not care if sometimes there is a slight rollback if the combat is smooth even with 200+ms. And now, a small delay between the mobs dying and items dropping out is not enough to make me wish for a system that is more honest. What matters to me is the actual combat itself.

Card Boy

Banned
Whats the status on character wipes/resets? Will open beta characters not get wiped? Also Legacy League sucks arse. So if the game goes through heaps of changes my character gets forced to Legacy league?

Raxum

Whats the status on character wipes/resets? Will open beta characters not get wiped? Also Legacy League sucks arse. So if the game goes through heaps of changes my character gets forced to Legacy league?

From what I've read/heard there is only supposed to be one more character wipe at open beta, and no more migrations to legacy league after that. Whether or not that holds true is another thing.

syko de4d

From what I've read/heard there is only supposed to be one more character wipe at open beta, and no more migrations to legacy league after that. Whether or not that holds true is another thing.

i reall can´t believe there will be no wipe for years xD

but maybe they will start a ladder league, which starts new all 6-12months.

Man they can create leagues for everything.

We could create our own NeoGAF League with Password protection. A League free from Chinafarmers, Spambots and hopefully Cheats :D

Nymerio

It is not really that obvious when someone does not see better alternatives in other games.
Also, PoE combat is really affected by higher than usual latency. When it is sub-80ms, it is quite adequate, even with the targeting issues. But when it is 100ms+, it starts falling apart.

In that regard as well, D3's online system is superior, imho, because I do not care if sometimes there is a slight rollback if the combat is smooth even with 200+ms. And now, a small delay between the mobs dying and items dropping out is not enough to make me wish for a system that is more honest. What matters to me is the actual combat itself.

I have about 100 hours played in Diablo 3 so it's not like I the only ARPG I played is PoE.

Raxum

but maybe they will start a ladder league, which starts new all 6-12months.

Man they can create leagues for everything.

We could create our own NeoGAF League with Password protection. A League free from Chinafarmers, Spambots and hopefully Cheats :D

I would gladly chuck in some money for this if it cost anything to purchase. Though I'd ask that I could include a couple of non-GAF friends who also play, otherwise it would be such a hassle creating characters to play with them that have no access to my loot on the GAF league. But having a GAF league would be awesome if we could find enough people on GAF interested in playing that often.

Still waiting for the supposed clan/guild system they were talking about a while ago. Anybody seen any word on when that might be coming through?

eek5

They need to open a testing league before OB/launch where progression/drops are accelerated and people can test out different builds. I don't see how there will never be a league migration ever again if something like AoF comes up again.

KKRT00

I would agree with You if we could dodge attacks in D3 and we cant.
Yep combat is smooth and responsive in D3, but for cost of precision, npcs melee attacks shouldnt hit from few meters and projectiles should be avoidable and they arent.

I like D3 online mode just for monk speed builds, but its not a good system in long run, at least not with their current online infrastructure and sync mechanisms. But i would really love to see D3 offline combat, it should be amazing :)

----

Its probably their way to decrease server load, i'm pretty sure that interval for attacks is smaller, because its logical way to design it. Hold button movement doesnt require too often drastic changes of direction, like only for 5-10% of its usable time, but if You would increase interval to 0.3s, You would basically doubled server load from those commands.
I dont really see the issue with movement personally, because i click a lot, more problematic for me is lack of cancelling animations and really long animations, i literally can click 7-10 times before my bow shot animation ends with 1.6 attack speed. Just this one change or shorter by 50% animations would fix combat for me, they can add delay between attacks to dont covert it to attack speed boost, but just give us ability to move just after shot :)

syko de4d

Still waiting for the supposed clan/guild system they were talking about a while ago. Anybody seen any word on when that might be coming through?

onyl hint about Guilds right now are the "Guild Stash" as an example for the Cash Shop and "Guild Events" as an example for Endgame.

Guild events (in Open Beta or Release)

Man, Guild Stash will make so much sense in a game like this, much more then in all these MMO´s where everything is BoP ^^

Raxum

onyl hint about Guilds right now are the "Guild Stash" as an example for the Cash Shop and "Guild Events" as an example for Endgame.

Man, Guild Stash will make so much sense in a game like this, much more then in all these MMO´s where everything is BoP ^^

Damn, that's a shame, I'd really like to see a GAF guild in this and see what we could accomplish as a group. With a group farming for gems and gear I'm sure we could make some out there builds.

Wow, you're right, it really would make sore sense. Donate skills gems and unique items and such to the guilds for others to use. No need for people to be online for you to trade items to them. Would make life easier, you'd just have to be careful of griefers.

Hey dudes,

Downloading the beta now, I want to put some time in this weekend with it. I'm getting really hyped for the game.

Anybody want to team up later? (EST TZ)

syko de4d

lol u can find this and many other PoE Ads

on
http://diablo.incgamers.com/

xD

Xander51

I played this a little before Diablo III came out and I'm getting back into it now. I'm really enjoying my time with it! I love the way the gem system works, and the health system, and the huge skill tree. Some really cool design choices here.

I'm counting the minutes now. I haven't been this excited to play something since Dark Souls came out. I'm so pumped for this game, can't wait to try the beta in a couple hours.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm looking up info right now, but I'll just ask how does it compare to D3's current endgame? Which was grinding crap loot in an Act and having to play the auction house to me.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The different classes don't make any difference aside from where you start on the passive tree right?

So I could build a warrior into a mage if I wanted to?

Still going for my Warrior Cleave build though. Not sure how I'm going to do it as far as equipment (1H or 2H).

You grind for consumables so that you can make uber gear. You can get lucky and make something awesome the 1st time or it can take 100s of times.

The different classes don't make any difference aside from where you start on the passive tree right?

Still going for my Warrior Cleave build though. Not sure how I'm going to do it as far as equipment (1H or 2H).

It's somewhat harder now to do weirder builds. Check out the passive tree on their website. It takes more points to travel to areas around other classes than it did.

syko de4d

I'm looking up info right now, but I'll just ask how does it compare to D3's current endgame? Which was grinding crap loot in an Act and having to play the auction house to me.

Planned Endgame in PoE:

Create dozen Chars for Dozen Builds

maybe never get max lvl

Endgame Maps (look the Videos from KRRT)

Short Special Leagues with special Rules. For example, right now there is a 2 Week Hardcore Ladder race. The best players after 2 weeks get nice prices like 50$ of Cash Shop Points (only Cosmetic Items)

Ongoing Special Leagues, later we can create our own Leagues with our own Rules.

Real Trading without Gold with other Players and no AH Interface. Later we can trade via the Website, outside the Game, with other Players.

Guild Events

PvP with Duels, PvP Arena and special pvP Leagues

Mh thats all :)

eek5

Yeah you could but the rearranged skill tree makes the opportunity cost to do so much higher.

Perkel

Banned

Yeah but it will be more costly. They are like 1/4 closed because it's very costly for ranger to be strenght int character but it's rather cheap to be only int or strenght based.

They're running a Hardcore Ladder competition right now/soon for some sweet prizes.

Ladders.

Something D3 doesn't have.

Planned Endgame in PoE:

Create dozen Chars for Dozen Builds

maybe never get max lvl

Endgame Maps (look the Videos from KRRT)

Short Special Leagues with special Rules. For example, right now there is a 2 Week Hardcore Ladder race. The best players after 2 weeks get nice prices like 50$ of Cash Shop Points (only Cosmetic Items)

Ongoing Special Leagues, later we can create our own Leagues with our own Rules.

Real Trading without Gold with other Players and no AH Interface. Later we can trade via the Website, outside the Game, with other Players.

Guild Events

PvP with Duels, PvP Arena and special pvP Leagues

Mh thats all :)

*salivates*

Can't wait, plus I'm sure they are still going to add stuff in future content updates.

Sblargh

Banned
I had to do quite an annoying detour on my witch to find Dex points in the skill tree so I could keep leveling fire trap. But now that I did it, I feel really proud of "my" build. Fire trap + bonuses on range AoE is pretty good. Next I'll start increasing fire damage and such.

Fire trap is so good I started a duelist just so I can fire trap + tank damage while the mobs are on top of the flame.

Lol even he's intimidated by the Skill Tree.
It's soooo good when you figure it out.

I pretty much describe Passive Skill as FFX and Weapon Gem Slots as FF7 Materia.

Xander51

I love how huge the skill tree is. To me it's not intimidating, but liberating, because I can build the character in all sorts of directions.

Top Bottom