• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm dying for a beta key since D3 was such a huge disappointment.

Justin

Just logged on and saw they added a countdown to the final wipe. Getting so excited!!!!

I also was just playing around with a summoner build and it is awesome how much they improved minions. They no longer despawn when you change zones!!!

LAMBO

Just logged on and saw they added a countdown to the final wipe. Getting so excited!!!!

I also was just playing around with a summoner build and it is awesome how much they improved minions. They no longer despawn when you change zones!!!

And that killed one player in the one week race. His minions spawned in the area before he loaded. His minions drew mobs to him before he loaded and when he finished loading he was already dead.

LAMBO

Deadly and Snake you want the key you have to battle. I'm thinking of a number between 1-10. Each of you post all ten numbers in whatever order you want and whoever hits my number first wins. example:

Snake's post: 10-7-8-4-5-6-1-2-3-9
Deadly's post: 8-7-9-1-2-3-4-5-6-10

if the lucky number was 5 Snake would win.

Deadline is 11pm EST. If only one plays they get the key, if neither plays i'll give it away tomorrow.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Deadly and Snake you want the key you have to battle. I'm thinking of a number between 1-10. Each of you post all ten numbers in whatever order you want and whoever hits my number first wins. example:

Snake's post: 10-7-8-4-5-6-1-2-3-9
Deadly's post: 8-7-9-1-2-3-4-5-6-10

if the lucky number was 5 Snake would win.

Deadline is 11pm EST. If only one plays they get the key, if neither plays i'll give it away tomorrow.
Haha ok lets do this.

3-7-5-8-1-10-2-9-4-6

Nice idea :)

LAMBO

and if Deadly picks the same order as you he/she loses automatically, and if you managed to both pick the same lucky number in the same place i'll flip a coin

Stasis

How are you guys getting keys?

I've been a beta participant since very early on, and haven't gotten any keys to give out...

Asking only because I see a lot of people interested in them and I'd love to help. Is there somewhere I'm not looking, where I may have gotten some to give?

LAMBO

Well i have been in the beta for a long time. Got in pure luck, they give away a key every 5 minutes if you registered on their forums and i got one. And then they gave me extra keys to give away. Snake, if you participate in any of the upcoming races and do well i will feel very proud (doubt you will though, I've been playing for a while and can't touch the racers.) Feel free to post your builds here. My latest crappy one:

www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAuMFQgVbD8QRLSycLR8y0TdHO3w8BT1fQZZEq0VHRtdJslJTVa5dxmBta6xtGXyDfVOCEIM4i4yOvo-ml5WX9J2An9-io6cIrrO4k8Hzzfra3dzH3QXd89-w4XPtIO98

ice nova + no life = death, time to start over again.

Stasis

don't know why i got keys, I've leveled several characters past level 50 and put in a good amount of time so i figured that's why i got them.

red13th

How are you guys getting keys?

I've been a beta participant since very early on, and haven't gotten any keys to give out...

Asking only because I see a lot of people interested in them and I'd love to help. Is there somewhere I'm not looking, where I may have gotten some to give?

I got my keys buying points in the official site, you also get a Kiwi pet that (they say) won't be sold again, and they are adorable. <3
I bought the pack with three beta keys, seems worth it because you get the equivalent number of points. I'm saving those for when they release more stuff to be bought, so far you can only buy stash tabs I think.

garath

Thanks again for the key Credo :) I installed it yesterday and got to put a couple hours in today. I already like it more than torchlight 2 and d3. The only thing that's throwing me off is the lack of gold. The currency system is pretty weird from first blush.

Perkel

Banned
Thanks again for the key Credo :) I installed it yesterday and got to put a couple hours in today. I already like it more than torchlight 2 and d3. The only thing that's throwing me off is the lack of gold. The currency system is pretty weird from first blush.

You will learn that this is only way to have proper economy.

Diablo 2 had gold and nobody used that because in time it was worthless. So what people traded instead of gold ? charms, rings, runes, gems which is essentially what PoE orb system is in the end. Both in D2 and PoE currency had value not because someone said so or game told you but because each currency could be used on character and this means currency don't stack a lot on characters because it is used in daily life.

This form of currency is almost economy textbook definition of bartering.
Gold currency in game like Diablo3 is like normal currency we have but with government printing money nonstop which lead to hiperinflation what is happening in D3

KKRT00

You will learn that this is only way to have proper economy.
Disagree, there can be proper gold based economy, but it needs other currencies to be available too and have great mechanics to sink both items and gold, all of them need to be dependent of each other. Just look at CCP's EVE Online and theirs ISK based economy.

Perkel

Banned
Disagree, there can be proper gold based economy, but it needs other currencies to be available too and have great mechanics to sink both items and gold, all of them need to be dependent of each other. Just look at CCP's EVE Online and theirs ISK based economy.

EVE is not loot based game. EVE have proper economy because there is supply chain and money sinks.

In loot arpg all above doesn't exist. People generate loot out of thin air without any work beside time at same time gold is not spent but just moved from one player to another. Actual money sinks are bad deals and repair/crafting. That is root of problem.

D3 economy wouldn't be so bad if it would have ladder reset every 4 months and some other money sinks.

KKRT00

EVE is not loot based game. EVE have proper economy because there is supply chain and money sinks.

In loot arpg all above doesn't exist. People generate loot out of thin air without any work beside time at same time gold is not spent but just moved from one player to another. Actual money sinks are bad deals and repair/crafting. That is root of problem.

D3 economy wouldn't be so bad if it would have ladder reset every 4 months and some other money sinks.
But You generate loot and resources from a thin air in EVE too and can scrap items and ships into basic materials, that can be sold later for ISK or used to build something else. Same, You can generate ISK from thin air too :)
Its completely valid comparison, just any aRPG didnt have properly designed loot sink system.

Perkel

Banned
But You generate loot and resources from a thin air in EVE too and can scrap items and ships into basic materials, that can be sold later for ISK or used to build something else. Same, You can generate ISK from thin air too :)
Its completely valid comparison, just any aRPG didnt have properly designed loot sink system.

It is invalid not because it ganerates money out of thin air but because there is full supply chain, money sink and everything which keeps money inflation in check.

In loot based ARPG there is nothing which keeps inflation in place. There is no supply chain or money sinks. Gold is not used at all it just change ownership. It stacks, grows without any way to spend it. It is like printing money. Money comes but doesn't leave market ergo hiperinflation.

In case of barter like aproach on PoE consumables are money. Money leaves economy ergo less inflation or in some cases deflation (if for example somebody will buy a lot of Devine/Exalted orbs from market).

KKRT00

In loot based ARPG there is nothing which keeps inflation in place. There is no supply chain or money sinks. Gold is not used at all it just change ownership. It stacks, grows without any way to spend it. It is like printing money. Money comes but doesn't leave market ergo hiperinflation.

But its only matter of design. You can have all that in aRPG.

They could even implement gold into PoE easily, just make it droppable only from bosses or elites for example and then balance it usage etc. PoE already has item and currency sinks implemented.

Perkel

Banned
But its only matter of design. You can have all that in aRPG.

They could even implement gold into PoE easily, just make it droppable only from bosses or elites for example and then balance it usage etc. PoE already has item and currency sinks implemented.

in arpg i agree but in online loot arpg i don't agree. Your logic is kind of good but ultimately fail IRL.

- you need gold to be low currency not high currency. Lack of low currency will only make people to use something other than gold which invalidates usage of gold.
- amount of gold which players generate from items worth in gold and gold itself need to be equally removed from market after time to keep price intact. This mean that you need to create equal money sink which players would use frequently. Care to explain how would you create some service which would remove equal amount of gold generated via players ? You logic is good to reduce inflation on very small scale.
- because gold is not consumable nor it can be destroyed it just keep wandering from hand to hand without end.

As of your EVE. In EVE ships can be destroyed, ammo spent, cargo stolen and this is why currency is not inflated much. In loot arpg , wealth can't be destroyed so gold is inflating.

Nymerio

The point is, that it is totally possible to have a working gold economy in an arpg. Loot heavy or not. Just because noone has done it doesn't mean it's impossible. You could integrate everything you mentioned from eve into an action rpg.

KKRT00

@Perkel

I would see it this way:

- Gold drops only from champions and bosses, gold doesnt drop before Cruel, gold drops in small amounts [1-20]
- You could buy low level currencies in vendors for gold, up to alteration for example, where 1 gold = scroll of wisdom, 2 gold = scroll of portal, etc
- You could buy skill gems from vendors for gold
- some vendor recipes would contain gold like convert orb of alchemy to orb of scouring for orb of alchemy + 100 gold
- You could open new portal to Your map for 1000 gold
- You could respec passive point for 50000 gold
- maybe make microtransaction point conversion, like 50000 gold for 1 microtransaction point

I think that gold should be managed around low quantities.

Also there shouldnt be a away to get gold from quests/items conversions/vendors to do not abuse economy, gold should only have sinks, nothing else.

Perkel

Banned
@Perkel

I would see it this way:

- Gold drops only from champions and bosses, gold doesnt drop before Cruel, gold drops in small amounts [1-20]
- You could buy low level currencies in vendors for gold, up to alteration for example, where 1 gold = scroll of wisdom, 2 gold = scroll of portal, etc
- You could buy skill gems from vendors for gold
- some vendor recipes would contain gold like convert orb of alchemy to orb of scouring for orb of alchemy + 100 gold
- You could open new portal to Your map for 1000 gold
- You could respec passive point for 50000 gold
- maybe make microtransaction point conversion, like 50000 gold for 1 microtransaction point

I think that gold should be managed around low quantities.

Also there shouldnt be a away to get gold from quests/items conversions/vendors to do not abuse economy, gold should only have sinks, nothing else.

if you want low currency beside high currency gold then what is point of gold exactly ?

KKRT00

if you want low currency beside high currency gold then what is point of gold exactly ?

Unified currency, basics of modern economy :) Its easier to compare everything to one currency than to 10-15. Trading would so much easier with that.

Perkel

Banned
Unified currency, basics of modern economy :) Its easier to compare everything to one currency than to 10-15. Trading would so much easier with that.

It is not unified in your proposition, you are using other currency items.

To be unified, gold need to be low currency and gold need to stay at same price or low inflation.

Money worth is corelated to value of goods on market. In game which creates tons of loot money will hiperinfate.

Barter like aproach means items are money.

I'd love to be able to play with a couple of friends before the Open Beta but I don't see any chance of keys being given out this late.

I guess I'll just wait for the Open Beta launch, regardless I really am excited to be able to play this game for the first time. I'm surprised that I've managed to ignore it for so long as it looks pretty damn good.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Excited to see BurnOutBrighters' OT in the next couple of weeks :3

Perkel

Banned
I'd love to be able to play with a couple of friends before the Open Beta but I don't see any chance of keys being given out this late.

I guess I'll just wait for the Open Beta launch, regardless I really am excited to be able to play this game for the first time. I'm surprised that I've managed to ignore it for so long as it looks pretty damn good.

go to poe forum. Now it's rather easy to get key.

KKRT00

It is not unified in your proposition, you are using other currency items.

To be unified, gold need to be low currency and gold need to stay at same price or low inflation.

Money worth is corelated to value of goods on market. In game which creates tons of loot money will hiperinfate.

Barter like aproach means items are money.

But with my approach is low currency, when 1 gold = scroll of wisdom, its the least valuable item, except for white items. In EVE You can barter with any of resources [8 building minerals with Tritanium being the lowest, 50+ others for reactions, planetary management etc].

Just think about that, what is easier to do: convert Your items to gold pricing or convert them to 10 currency items that doesnt depend of themselves mostly?
Yes, You could use for example transmutation orbs as a global currency, but not everyone would it threat it that way. With gold though everyone would use it as a basic currency. And You can use gold as a currency for many different, independent things [like i mentioned earlier], which You cant with orbs.
Its just to make life easier and give some additional utility :)

Perkel

Banned
But with my approach is low currency, when 1 gold = scroll of wisdom, its the least valuable item, except for white items. In EVE You can barter with any of resources [8 building minerals with Tritanium being the lowest, 50+ others for reactions, planetary management etc].

Just think about that, what is easier to do: convert Your items to gold pricing or convert them to 10 currency items that doesnt depend of themselves mostly?
Yes, You could use for example transmutation orbs as a global currency, but not everyone would it threat it that way. With gold though everyone would use it as a basic currency. And You can use gold as a currency for many different, independent things [like i mentioned earlier], which You cant with orbs.
Its just to make life easier and give some additional utility :)

But this doesn't resolve problem of inflation. Inflation is why GOLD does not work in loot based online ARPG and it never worked (in that gengre) in any game on long run.

Right now i am in my 8 month of PoE and still devine orb or exalted is as expensive as it was earlier. Some items dropped in value but currency more or less stays at same level. It simply works.

KKRT00

But this doesn't resolve problem of inflation. Inflation is why GOLD does not work in loot based online ARPG and it never worked (in that gengre) in any game on long run.

Right now i am in my 8 month of PoE and still devine orb or exalted is as expensive as it was earlier. Some items dropped in value but currency more or less stays at same level. It simply works.

Gold sinks solve problem of inflation and lack of abuses for getting it.

Drop rates on high lvl orbs got nerfed like 5 times and game had at least 5 wipes, its not really safe to predict lack of inflation now :) But in the end, orb will always be usable, so sooner or later they will disappear, same goes for gold with enough meaningful gold sinks.

red13th

I rolled a Shadow and got Phase Run, which I hadn't on my Templar... and bow I understand why people love it so much. I don't want it removed. :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I rolled a Shadow and got Phase Run, which I hadn't on my Templar... and bow I understand why people love it so much. I don't want it removed. :(
Getting a rehaul, not removed!

Perkel

Banned

It will be changed because right now it is not doing it's job. It should be skill to sneak near mob like necromancer and backstab him (+50% damage).

What people are doing ? They use it for speed of moving.

I know first few hours can be slow but with progress you are gaining speed and with 30-40 lvl you are running quite fast.

It is one of things that make you character better and visually represent progress.

Yoshichan

So I don't get it. When are all the gem-changes (Lightning Arrow, Phase Run, Granite Flask etc) coming? I find it kinda stupid if all the changes would come the 23rd with the Open Beta :(

V_Arnold

So I don't get it. When are all the gem-changes (Lightning Arrow, Phase Run, Granite Flask etc) coming? I find it kinda stupid if all the changes would come the 23rd with the Open Beta :(

I think they will be. This way, the surprise is for everyone, not just the new players. That seems fair to me...

I know first few hours can be slow but with progress you are gaining speed and with 30-40 lvl you are running quite fast.

It is one of things that make you character better and visually represent progress.

Meh. Nothing "better" than killing armored crabs in slow-motion, I guess :p

Celegus

Finally popped in to see what this game even looks like after hearing so much about it in the Diablo 3 thread. Looks pretty snazzy, but I was shocked to see that it's going to be free. I'll definitely check it out when it releases in that case, especially given all the praise it's been getting.

Top Bottom