• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

red13th

You know what, I just realized something... I don't even care anymore. I'll just buy less shitty Collector's Editions of even shittier games this year. GGG, if I could send you my future babies, I'd do it too.

qFNkw.png

That's great! I'm a bronze supporter myself and I have zero regrets, it's a quality game.

spirity

Damn, Yoshi. Good man.

Only two weeks to go. I'm thinking Witch, and I really would like a facebreaker build on an alt. Bet I change my mind 50 times between now and 23rd.

garath

I'm trying to decide what to play with my friend when open starts. He usually goes for a mage sort of thing. Is the game balanced well enough for 2 ranged types? I might try a ranger and him a witch.

Or should one person really be a "tank" melee char. I could always do a ground slam marauder.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh my god, thank you so much Yoshi!
Not at all, friend!
I'm trying to decide what to play with my friend when open starts. He usually goes for a mage sort of thing. Is the game balanced well enough for 2 ranged types? I might try a ranger and him a witch.

Or should one person really be a "tank" melee char. I could always do a ground slam marauder.
I don't usually respond with Youtube-links, but when I do, it's all Kripparrian baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLacQXMR5pI
Wtf Yoshi not playing a Blizzard game?

jk ;) welcome to the real Diablo
AR2xI.gif

jersoc

so speaking of SSD. I bought a 2nd for games. Can I just move POE over there w/o reinstalling it? sorta like wow and guild wars 2 work.

Perkel

Banned
so speaking of SSD. I bought a 2nd for games. Can I just move POE over there w/o reinstalling it? sorta like wow and guild wars 2 work.

Just 5 minutes ago i did something like this:

Download downloader.
Cut your POE folder to some other folder (to keep it for while)
Now unninstall POE (your files will be safe in other folder)
Now run downloader and wait till it will begin downloading files (after checking and allocating space) choose folder on SSD ofcourze.
Now Quit downloader.
Copy all files beside client.exe and log folder from your other folder (where you coppied earlier data) and copy it to new POE folder on your SSD
Run game and enjoy.

EDIT:

Most annoying thing about SSD:

You can't hear when instalation ends. Seriously first world problem.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Who's making the OT now again? I'm so excited for it :_: Are we gonna do GAF-trades through the thread or should we have a separate one? I'd also like a list where we say who's on EU/US/x-server!

KKRT00

I'd also like a list where we say who's on EU/US/x-server!
That does not matter, You can play with everyone in PoE, because databases are linked, so when You party up with someone from US, You join instances created on US so You have higher latency, but when You are party leader and someone joins from US, he join EU instance and has higher latency.

Yoshichan

That does not matter, You can play with everyone in PoE, because databases are linked, so when You party up with someone from US, You join instances created on US so You have higher latency, but when You are party leader and someone joins from US, he join EU instance and has higher latency.
Wow. WOW.

Card Boy

Banned
You know what, I just realized something... I don't even care anymore. I'll just buy less shitty Collector's Editions of even shittier games this year. GGG, if I could send you my future babies, I'd do it too.

qFNkw.png

Please make a unique item that supports/promotes unarmed combat like Facebreaker. We need more items like that.

Yoshichan

Credo

The game deserves the support. If you have $1000 and can afford it, why not. I think of it as more as an investment in the game so that they can stay afloat to make more acts.

Absolutely agree. I didn't go with the diamond pack, but I put $100 into it without a second thought. And if it meant keeping GGG in business, then I know I'd donate more.

syko de4d

people pay ten thousands of $ more just to get 0,5sec faster from 0 to 100 KPH with their car. I don´t see a reason why some1 can´t spend 1000$ bucks for a game, a game he maybe plays for hundred or thousands hours over the next years.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
people pay ten thousands of $ more just to get 0,5sec faster from 0 to 100 KPH with their car. I don´t see a reason why some1 can´t spend 1000$ bucks for a game, a game he maybe plays for hundred or thousands hours over the next years.

There's a bit of a difference between paying for a ridiculously fast car and paying $1000 for a free game.

There's a bit of a difference between paying for a ridiculously fast car and paying $1000 for a free game.

Well people put thousands of dollars into a kickstarter for a game that has empty promises.

GGG made Path of Exile into a playable and fun game from their sweat and blood before diving into donations.

I think GGG proved their worth for the money rather than those empty-promise kickstarters like Double Fine's.

Justin

Also you get money for the in game store equal to the amount you donate. Now if there is 1000 worth of stuff you want to purchase off the store is another question.

Credo

Also you get money for the in game store equal to the amount you donate. Now if there is 1000 worth of stuff you want to purchase off the store is another question.

In-game car parts for a ridiculously fast, diamond kiwi-powered car

syko de4d

In-game car parts for a ridiculously fast, diamond kiwi-powered car

don´t forget the new Spellanimation for Summone Skeletons.

"Summone diamond kiwi powered car" - An alternative Spellanimation for Summone Skeletons. Instead of 3 Skeletons you now summone 3 diamond kiwi powered Cars.

:D

man i hope there will be alot of difference models you can buy for the Summone Spells. Instead of Zombis you get mummies or instead of Skeletons you get Spiders etc. :)

I put in $250.

$1000 is a bit too much for me with much uncertainty in the future.

Their potential revenue is a huge concern. They don't even have a real revenue model. Literally the entire game is free. In LoL you still have to unlock champs, which are now always 6300 IP, so it gives good incentive to spend money, along with many high quality skins. What is there in PoE? Don't need extra character slots, the standard inventory/stash size is fine, and the character models are too realistically shaped for skins to significantly change their look like LoL and other mobas.

My prediction is the game will run off of this huge initial swath of support with the donors and kickstarter and then either one of three things happen, 1) it dies off, 2) they create an auction house, 3) major content will cost money (new acts).

Can't wait till the game goes live. Had a blast with the beta.

syko de4d

lets summarize all infos about buyable things we got:

-Stash Tabs
-Special Stash Tabs (Named and with Colour)
-Public Stash Tabs
-Guild Stash Tabs
-More Char Slots
-New Spell Animation
-Other Char Animations like Taunt for PvP etc.
-New Weapon Effects
-Special cosmetic item properties such as “extra gore”
-Item Dyes
-Special Paid Leagues with special rules
-Creat your own league with special rules (i think this is still far far away from release)
-Special Forum Avatar
-Create your own Unique (In the new Video they said you can still purchase this but Diamond Pack is a way better Deal right now)
-Pets

Thats sound like a lot of amazing ways to get money without sell any power

Credo

Their potential revenue is a huge concern. They don't even have a real revenue model. Literally the entire game is free. In LoL you still have to unlock champs, which are now always 6300 IP, so it gives good incentive to spend money, along with many high quality skins. What is there in PoE? Don't need extra character slots, the standard inventory/stash size is fine, and the character models are too realistically shaped for skins to significantly change their look like LoL and other mobas.

My prediction is the game will run off of this huge initial swath of support with the donors and kickstarter and then either one of three things happen, 1) it dies off, 2) they create an auction house, 3) major content will cost money (new acts).

I've worried about that in the past too, but I've tried to put it out of my mind. I've already done all I can to support them by purchasing one of the beta packs, so it's out of my control now and I try not to worry about things I can't control. If revenue becomes too big of a problem for GGG, I'm sure they'll be up front about it with the community and maybe even ask the community what their ideas are for a solution. I may have pulled that last idea out of fantasy land, but it doesn't hurt to dream!

garath

I hear what you are saying. I was shocked to read that there are 20+ char slots. Why would you possibly need more than that??

Hopefully the cosmetic stuff is enough to keep them going but I could have seen limiting stash to half a page and unlock more with money. Char slots 2 unlock more with money. Limit a shared stash the same way. Those are convenience things, not power but they have tangible benefits to playing the game (much like buying new champs in LoL)

stabwound

Neo Member
While the premise is cool and I'm sure they have good intentions, I also predict something happening like "pay to play" expansion areas and the like. Has there ever been a successful MMO that was funded solely with superficial microtransations? Storage space is the only one that is borderline, and that's just an annoyance since you get so many character slots for mules.

Card Boy

Banned
I hope this is the last wipe.

kXJjx.png

I can't bring myself to play the game again until open beta because every time i play a character it gets banished to Legacy League.

Yoshichan

I hope this is the last wipe.

kXJjx.png

I can't bring myself to play the game again until open beta because every time i play a character it gets banished to Legacy League.
It is the last "planned" wipe, you have nothing to worry about.

I really need to get back into this game. I think I will once Open Beta comes.

The real reason I'm posting in this thread is because Yoshichan is the craziest person ever and I hope he never changes.

KKRT00

Will it be on Steam? (sorry, I'm a complete noob with this game haha!)

Maybe someday, not now though.

---
lets summarize all infos about buyable things we got:

-Stash Tabs
-Special Stash Tabs (Named and with Colour)
-Public Stash Tabs
-Guild Stash Tabs
-More Char Slots
-New Spell Animation
-Other Char Animations like Taunt for PvP etc.
-New Weapon Effects
-Special cosmetic item properties such as “extra gore”
-Item Dyes
-Special Paid Leagues with special rules
-Creat your own league with special rules (i think this is still far far away from release)
-Special Forum Avatar
-Create your own Unique (In the new Video they said you can still purchase this but Diamond Pack is a way better Deal right now)
-Pets

Thats sound like a lot of amazing ways to get money without sell any power

And they are looking for other stuff. For example in Kripparrian stream, one guy on Mumble told Chris that he hates spiders and if there would be option to transform them into something else with microtransaction, he would pay. Chris was intrigued with this idea.

Top Bottom