• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

Perkel

Banned
Default will be legacy for all time.

No, default is also ladder same as HC. It will be the same as in D2. And same as now:

Legacy default
Legacy hardcore
Hardcore

With ladder reset they will move all players to legacy leagues. Legacy leagues will be containing all characters from all ladders in the end.

edit:

I stand corrected:

There are a few permanent long term leagues including the default “standard” and “hardcore” leagues. All other leagues have a duration value and a parent league. When the duration is over, all characters in that league become part of the parent league.

So default and Hardcore are lagancy leagues on default and when OB starts we will have proper long ladders.

kinggroin

Banned
I've owned this game for quite some time now, but have been hesitant to play it because of all the wipes. Anyone have a solid date for the final release?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Talk about being nervous when you're having a conversation through text with Chris...
I'm just glad Yoshichan is on the true winning team now.
There's no winning team. Only good and bad games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So Chris and I are talking about vanilla D2 through mail now... this is insane :lol How does he have time for all of this?!

Card Boy

Banned
So Chris and I are talking about vanilla D2 through mail now... this is insane :lol How does he have time for all of this?!

Dude is super cool. He often just stays on skype on Kripps stream and chats for hours. During the public beta weekends he was on the whole time answering community questions in the global chat.

Looking through the patch notes and noticed one thing peculiar...

Ground Slam attacks at the speed of the weapon? Does this mean it's faster or slower when taking certain passives and using fast attack gems?

Edit: Why does kripp's shit look so powerful? Marauder seems doubtful after watching his shit.

Looking through the patch notes and noticed one thing peculiar...

Ground Slam attacks at the speed of the weapon? Does this mean it's faster or slower when taking certain passives and using fast attack gems?

It now depends on the attack speed of the weapon (as well as faster attacks support & attack speed passives).

Before, Ground Slam was the same speed for all weapons (and was affected by the attack speed gem and passives). This could be abused by using the slower, high DPS weapons, where it would completely ignore the slow attack speed.

I really want to get into PoE. I liked it, and bought it (got my Kiwi pet!), but I just can't seem to stay engaged to get to a decent level.

Any good guides out there on the first 20 levels?

Bleh. First impression was really bad for me.
Not what I expected because of all the praises old Diablo fans were giving it.

Halfway through Act 1 I felt like quitting, but I wanted to reach boss at least.
Siren didn't feel as epic as one of the D3 bosses though.

I'll check Act 2 later on, but already dreading the thought of replaying Act 1 with alts.
Difficulty felt right though.

I really want to get into PoE. I liked it, and bought it (got my Kiwi pet!), but I just can't seem to stay engaged to get to a decent level.

Any good guides out there on the first 20 levels?

Is there a reason why you're not engaged?

If you're struggling to survive, check out Kripp's beginner video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgK9SMR2Vyw
In essence, get HP equip and passives.

If you feel like you're not powerful at the beginning, that's intended because it gets better when you level up as a game that has excellent character building and progression should (Diablo 3 doesn't).

Justin

I know the Witch fulfills that role but it would of being nice to see a proper Necromancer class. Too late now i guess.

Just got to the end of act 1 cruel on my summoner and it is awesome. They start slower than other classes and you will have really low life but at the moment my summons have almost double my health and do a ton of damage.

Not sure what you want from a summoner class that this game doesn't allow you to build.

Yoshichan

Missed out on Kripps alpha footage because I had to go to bed... thankfully I can watch his vods.

Could anyone link me the OT once it goes live?

Yoshichan

WOW! Wallpaper GET!

Is there a reason why you're not engaged?

If you're struggling to survive, check out Kripp's beginner video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgK9SMR2Vyw
In essence, get HP equip and passives.

If you feel like you're not powerful at the beginning, that's intended because it gets better when you level up as a game that has excellent character building and progression should (Diablo 3 doesn't).

Thanks! My main thing is: Skills.

I don't know what they are, which to use, how to get them, etc.

The video you linked says: When you're making a character, know the skills you're planning for.

And that's my main stopping point. I have no direction when I'm creating because I don't know the skills. Any good guides on them?

Perkel

Banned

The video you linked says: When you're making a character, know the skills you're planning for.

And that's my main stopping point. I have no direction when I'm creating because I don't know the skills. Any good guides on them?

Just play game. You will find skills in game (drops) read text , try to use them and when you get support gems try to combine them with skills. See which works and what don't work.
And then try to enchance abilities of gems with your gear.

That is essence of playing loot based arpg. Just play it for few hours and explore.

Oh, just look at this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...XdlQ3JfT0hkWVRjV2c&f=true&noheader=true&gid=0

And this (can be inaccurate): http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Support_Gems#Active_Skills

You don't really need a guide. Just doing quests can net you good gems. The only reason you would need to do more research outside of the game is if you want to build really unique character builds like a Bow Marauder, or a "Melee" Ranger.

You can start a Marauder with Ground Slam and keep that as your staple forever.
You know Ground Slam only works with maces, so pick up HP defense passives and Mace/2h passives for offense. Aim for powerful keystones like Resolute Technique, and you're set.

spirity

A word to the wise. Its quite possible on your first playthrough of PoE that you get to around lvl 50 and find your build just sucks, you've made too many mistakes, and there's not a lot you can do about it. Respeccing out of a few passives will help, so save up those skill respecs and orbs. Grinding Gear want you to commit to your builds and if you've made mistakes you'll pay for it.

I just rerolled, and played again with a better understanding of how I wanted to play and what skills I wanted to use. Although this is time consuming, I do prefer it to offering up complete respecs whenever you feel like it. You gain a far better understanding and appreciation for the mechanics this way.

I can't really offer up a guide, but I can tell you a few skills that pretty popular. Sweep and ground slam for melee, spark totem (thats spark + totem linked) for caster, and although I don't play one, I think lightning arrow and lesser multiple projectiles are popular with rangers. Someone can correct me on any of these. Aura's like hatred and anger are useful early on, and later you'll have access to mana regen. Totems are very useful, you can get health regen ones, or ones that taunt mobs to take the heat off you. These should carry you through for a few levels until you get a good grasp on the game and start seeing just how your items, skills, stats and weapons all synergise. It picks up soon enough, so stick with it.

I can't really offer up a guide, but I can tell you a few skills that pretty popular. Sweep and ground slam for melee, spark totem (thats spark + totem linked) for caster, and although I don't play one, I think lightning arrow and lesser multiple projectiles are popular with rangers. Someone can correct me on any of these. Aura's like hatred and anger are useful early on, and later you'll have access to mana regen. Totems are very useful, you can get health regen ones, or ones that taunt mobs to take the heat off you. These should carry you through for a few levels until you get a good grasp on the game and start seeing just how your items, skills, stats and weapons all synergise. It picks up soon enough, so stick with it.

Totems are overpowered right now and are being nerfed. I'd say decoy totem is the best if you aren't a spell caster. Spark+fork totems are probably the best at doing damage if you spec your build to get shock stacks. Support totems like ice spear are really good too.

The keystone in alpha to give you an extra totem now makes it so you can't attack/cast a spell that does damage.

Lightning arrow got nerfed in alpha too, so it is not nearly as good. It doesn't give extra shock chance and you can only hit 3 people at the most now.

Anger and wrath are good auras if you are going elemental damage. hatred and added fire are good if you are going physical.

Card Boy

Banned
I understand that classes are really just starting positions on the passive grid, but what is a good one to start as for a beginner?

They sort of ain't just starting positions. A Ranger or Shadow most likely won't even touch certain skills or keystones from the Marauder section like Resolute Technique or health buffs.

Just think what type of character you want to build and go from there. Do you want a high crit character? High dodge? Auramancer? Minionmaster? Wand Marauder, melee or ranged Templer? The choice is up to you.

Top Bottom