• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile (F2P Loot Hack 'n Slash) Open beta later this year

Perkel

Banned
I understand that classes are really just starting positions on the passive grid, but what is a good one to start as for a beginner?

Just look which character is most bad ass to you and start it. You will find malee is boting then switch to bow, bow is boring try spells etc etc.

Just play the game and everything will come to you naturally after few hours. Just enjoy exploration of your character if you will find new skill gen try to use it, if you will find new weapon type try to use it to same with spells.

And then when you will have experience with game try to do some specific build, focus on some skill and try to make it awesome.

Justin

Respec debate aside, how fast will it be to get an alt to max level if we screw up our build ?

Not sure, no one has ever reached max level yet. After you learn the mechanics it will decrease your leveling time by a lot. During a 3 hour ladder race this week someone cleared the first difficulty and got 1/3 of the way through act 1 on the second difficulty. You also will be able to share gems (skills) and items with your other character found which will make the early levels fly by.

Wait there is a max level? I assuming it was like 100.

Yeah 100 is the max level.

RankoSD

I'm predicting that by the end of the year HC characters will reach max level that is around 93. There will be a lot of deaths.

Deadly

I read in chat that the characters from CB won't get wiped, just the stats+gear? Should I be reserving names right now?

Might aswell its not like it gets deleted or anything. You just get moved to regular league when you die.

Choosing between hardcore and softcore really changes your playstyle.

You try your best not to die in hardcore, so you opt for more defense in the beginning, but softcore, you can sacrifice a lot more defense for dps because dying isn't much of an issue.

Twinduct

So sorry for asking, as I'm sure it's been asked before and I most likely know the answer. Has it been confirmed that there will be a character wipe for the Open Beta?

spirity

I understand that classes are really just starting positions on the passive grid, but what is a good one to start as for a beginner?

You could try a templar. There's a nice mix of life passives, mana regen, spell damage, weapon damage etc fairly early on, and you'll get a taste of both melee and casting.

Ah thanks. Will jump back in after the OB starts then!

This isn't here for nothing.

DvN26.jpg

Anyone use ground slam anymore?

I'm not sure if it'll be effective as I had once built it. I took all the AOE passives and made ground slam as massive as possible.

This was all before the whole resistance patch changes.

Justin

100 levels

Last wipe was almost a year ago and best player has 86 level. Hitting 95-99 will take years.

You can only get maps up to level 69 right now but in alpha they drop up to 75 so that should at least help push people closer to 90.

Perkel

Banned
You can only get maps up to level 69 right now but in alpha they drop up to 75 so that should at least help push people closer to 90.

I'm preety sure devs said that levels 90+ will be only for dedicated gamers and hitting max level will actually take years.

I only heard about the Cut-throat league today. That's ridiculous when combined with HC. I will never do that league except with a dedicated group. I wonder if it can be combined with Ironman.

Also, does HC have increased drops or something? Or is really just permadeath?

I only heard about the Cut-throat league today. That's ridiculous when combined with HC. I will never do that league except with a dedicated group. I wonder if it can be combined with Ironman.

I don't think Cutthroat and HC will ever be put together. You need players to continue and respawn in order to keep up the ecosystem of leveling through PVP.

Uh, I don't think HC has increased anything. Since it transfers to softcore after death, from a design perspective, they should have the exact same variables for everything.

That said, Hardcore will feel different. A player has to build the character differently than they would in softcore.

Perkel

Banned

There i no permadeath in PoE, your character just moves to softcore (default league).

That's the beauty of PoE there will be probably cut-troat league but you can just not play it at all if you don't like this idea.

I personally waiting for single cut-troat hc turbo league that will be amazing :D

I don't think Cutthroat and HC will ever be put together. You need players to continue and respawn in order to keep up the ecosystem of leveling through PVP.

Uh, I don't think HC has increased anything. Since it transfers to softcore after death, from a design perspective, they should have the exact same variables for everything.

That said, Hardcore will feel different. A player has to build the character differently than they would in softcore.

On cut-troat hc Chris said on stream that they will do this league but after full cut-troat normal league and they must test it if this will be viable.

Chris also said there will be ironman league for crazy people, and many other types. They just need to test it and change gameplay to make them viable. Like in cut-troat now you can use portal to run from your enemies but they plan to change it.

garath

Too bad these chars are going to get wiped. I just started getting into a groove with my shadow. Really had trouble until I bought a lighting strike gem and I started to turn it around from there. Finally starting to get some mana regen going and spamming lighting strike around a lit fire trap. Things die quick.

Second try at this was better, although I still find the starting area annoyingly bland.
(will turn off some new players)

Two small Qs on gear stats:

-What does Quality% do to the armor ?

-Also, is Energy Shield better to stack than AC (armor) ?

Thanks.

-Also, is Energy Shield better to stack than AC (armor) ?

ES is basically HP. It regenerates really quickly if not hit for 6 seconds (cooldown modified through skills)

AC reduces physical damage.

Like Wolf said, unless you're going for complex builds, your class usually dictates if AC or ES is better.

So I am playing hardcore. I hear on ventrilo the the salty tears of anguish from my friend who went ahead of me in The Cave and ate a face full of Spark (with lightning debuffs.) So now I have to commit suicide, seppuku if you will, so I can keep playing with him on softcore. Romeo, I come! This do I drink to thee.

Playing with materia again sure is fun.

garath

So I am playing hardcore. I hear on ventrilo the the salty tears of anguish from my friend who went ahead of me in The Cave and ate a face full of Spark (with lightning debuffs.) So now I have to commit suicide, seppuku if you will, so I can keep playing with him on softcore. Romeo, I come! This do I drink to thee.

Playing with materia again sure is fun.

Haha. That's actually one of my concerns starting hardcore with my friends. When one dies, everyone else will have to follow suit!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just poured a drink of whisky and I never do that when I have work the day after.

Over the past couple of days, I've experienced over 20 hours of alpha footage, here's a brief summary over some of the stuff that I've managed to gather up. Will continue to update the list. Strap your seatbelts, boys.

Notes:
====

Ruthless (hell) difficulty is removed - rebalanced the game across act 3

Merveil consistantly spawns exploding fire-monsters and throws them at you

Rename/recolour stash tabs

Changed death penalties: 0% Normal, 7.5% Cruel, 15% Merciless

New resistance penalties: 0% Normal, 20% Cruel, 60% Merciless

Legendary items have been rebalanced (mostly up) in power

Prismatic Ring - 8 (lowest roll) - 12 (highest roll) to all resistance

Added Quicksilver Flask - improved movement speed by 40% for 5 seconds (20 charges per use)

Bandit leaders now grant different stat bonuses on each difficulty level (Oak 45 from 40)

Cruel Bandits: 4% Attack, 4% Cast, 12% Physical Damage

Merciless Bandits: Maximum Power Charge, Maximum Frenzy Charge, Maximum Endurance Charge

21 maximum available passives through quests, compared to current state (16 points available)

Cruel is now actually hard. The game ramps up significantly near the end of act 3, where enemies can two-shot you.

The increase in level from map to map can be insane in merciless. The early zones can go from level 52 (Mud Flats) to level 58 (Tidal Island).

New Passives
=========

New passives: Five additional passives next to CI. Four of them being "6% increased ES" and one being "30% more ES"

New passives: 15% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield

New passives: Keystone Candidate 126 - Life Regeneration applies to Energy Shield instead of Life

Buffs
====

Haste buffed, gives movement speed (3% to ~5%)

Nerfs/Removal of stuff
===============

Granite Flasks now grants 4k armor (from 10k)

Phase Run - Gone from the game, being completely changed

Lightning Arrow - Chance to shock is removed. Number of targets is now always 3

Dual totems nerfed: Ancestral Bond - Can summon up to 1 additional totem. You can't deal damage with your skills yourself

Chaos Inoculation - Maximum Life becomes 1, Chaos Damage no longer bypasses Energy Shield.

Clarity nerfed, 2.1 Mana Per Second @ level 1 (previously 2.5). 20% nerf

Discipline nerfed, 25% less Energy Shield granted - and 25% more mana reserved

Eldritch Battery indirect nerf: Discipline is worthless (costs more mana than what it gives back with EB).

Grace nerfed, 25% more mana reserved

Anger nerfed, 40 more mana reserved (essentially making it pointless, especially early-mid game)

Chain nerfed, 50% less damage (from 40%). Chains two times (from three)

Fork nerfed, 30% less damage (from 20%)

Basically, all auras are nerfed. Almost every "derp" ranged build has been nerfed (either directly or indirectly).

I'm ok with that, there was really no point to play melee unless you were going in groups and needed someone to use melee gear.

Ranged was overpowered. Fork is still useful, I found chain overshadowed it for most builds but it still works fine.

With the auras nerf, you now actually have to decide on which auras to take instead of 3 or 4 of them working for just about every build.

Perkel

Banned
I just poured a drink of whisky and I never do that when I have work the day after.

Over the past couple of days, I've experienced over 20 hours of alpha footage, here's a brief summary over some of the stuff that I've managed to gather up. Will continue to update the list. Strap your seatbelts, boys.

Notes:
====

Ruthless (hell) difficulty is removed - rebalanced the game across act 3

Merveil consistantly spawns exploding fire-monsters and throws them at you

Rename/recolour stash tabs

Changed death penalties: 0% Normal, 7.5% Cruel, 15% Merciless

New resistance penalties: 0% Normal, 20% Cruel, 60% Merciless

Legendary items have been rebalanced (mostly up) in power

Prismatic Ring - 8 (lowest roll) - 12 (highest roll) to all resistance

Added Quicksilver Flask - improved movement speed by 40% for 5 seconds (20 charges per use)

Bandit leaders now grant different stat bonuses on each difficulty level (Oak 45 from 40)

Cruel Bandits: 4% Attack, 4% Cast, 12% Physical Damage

21 maximum available passives through quests, compared to current state (16 points available)

Cruel is now actually hard. The game ramps up significantly near the end of act 3, where enemies can two-shot you.

New Passives
=========

New passives: Five additional passives next to CI. Four of them being "6% increased ES" and one being "30% more ES"

New passives: 15% Elemental Resistances while holding a Shield

New passives: Keystone Candidate 126 - Life Regeneration applies to Energy Shield instead of Life

Buffs
====

Haste buffed, gives movement speed (3% to ~5%)

Nerfs/Removal of stuff
===============

Phase Run - Gone from the game, being completely changed

Lightning Arrow - Chance to shock is removed. Number of targets is now always 3

Dual totems nerfed: Ancestral Bond - Can summon up to 1 additional totem. You can't deal damage with your skills yourself

Chaos Inoculation - Maximum Life becomes 1, Chaos Damage no longer bypasses Energy Shield.

Clarity nerfed, 2.1 Mana Per Second @ level 1 (previously 2.5). 20% nerf

Discipline nerfed, 25% less Energy Shield granted - and 25% more mana reserved

Eldritch Battery indirect nerf: Discipline is worthless (costs more mana than what it gives back with EB).

Grace nerfed, 25% more mana reserved

Anger nerfed, 40 more mana reserved (essentially making it pointless, especially early-mid game)

Chain nerfed, 50% less damage (from 40%). Chains two times (from three)

Fork nerfed, 30% less damage (from 20%)

Basically, all auras are nerfed. Almost every "derp" ranged build has been nerfed (either directly or indirectly).

Good changes. No more 5 auras stacked together, no more faceroll with spell totems, CI now actually has serious drawback as all key passives should, phase run spam is out.

Love it. BTW did you noticed how monsters behave now ? I heard it is different same with pack of monsters.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Love it. BTW did you noticed how monsters behave now ? I heard it is different same with pack of monsters.
They seem to be "strolling" around a bit more now, and some packs are just aggressive as hell. Also they've changed the amount of enemy-packs you have to deal with at the same time. So sometimes you're going past three or four empty rooms (you never do that nowadays, there's always two or three enemies chilling around) - and then you head to the next room and it contains three billion enemies. It's pretty cool.

Perkel

Banned
They seem to be "strolling" around a bit more now, and some packs are just aggressive as hell. Also they've changed the amount of enemy-packs you have to deal with at the same time. So sometimes you're going past three or four empty rooms (you never do that nowadays, there's always two or three enemies chilling around) - and then you head to the next room and it contains three billion enemies. It's pretty cool.

I see i heard people like it. Much like D2 where this was the same situation. You explore few places and there is 2 elite mobs and one rare with full minion support.

You are playing it or you watched Krip stream ?

Yoshichan

Perkel: watching!

spirity: Yes.

Adding:

The increase in level from map to map can be insane in merciless. The early zones can go from level 52 (Mud Flats) to level 58 (Tidal Island).

garath

Changes sound good. My hopes of a dual wield melee char are back. Right now I had to start investing in lighting strike to have a viable duel wield char. Kinda counter productive for a shadow being that lighting strike is strength based.. sigh

Perkel

Banned
Perkel: watching!

spirity: Yes.

Adding:

Are mobs visible ? I mean like in D2 where you don't know what lies beyond doors.

Changes sound good. My hopes of a dual wield melee char are back. Right now I had to start investing in lighting strike to have a viable duel wield char. Kinda counter productive for a shadow being that lighting strike is strength based.. sigh

I may be weird but actually i am trying to build character without any skill. Just potions items and raw equipment damage + stats.

I would love option to switch off cleave, sweep, dual strike, double strike, heavy strike and leap slam FX. Just animation would be amazing.

Yoshichan

Are mobs visible ? I mean like in D2 where you don't know what lies beyond doors.
It's identical to Diablo 2 where you could see the aura color of the rare through the rooms - but you can't really see the minions around him (or what type of enemy it is).

Rolled a witch and am enjoying the game a bit more. Starting to faintly get a glimpse of how I'll proceed during OB.

Curious about the middle of the passive tree--is there a class that is going there?

Perkel

Banned
It's identical to Diablo 2 where you could see the aura color of the rare through the rooms - but you can't really see the minions around him (or what type of enemy it is).

So they changed how rooms/caves are lit ?

Rolled a witch and am enjoying the game a bit more. Starting to faintly get a glimpse of how I'll proceed during OB.

Curious about the middle of the passive tree--is there a class that is going there?

Hard to tell really. Passives inside that area are rather weak so they could fit nicely as downside for better tree position in long run. But keystones are there and those are to easy to get.

Top Bottom