• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patriots, Belichick most hated team; Philly has most hated fans, SI says

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Seems like jealousy to me ;P

The NFL season is almost here, which means its time to ratchet up the fanaticism. And by fanaticism, we're clearly talking about full-on hating everything that gets in the way of your team's success.

SI.com has done the heavy lifting for you, documenting all there is to hate from teams, to coaches to owners to fans (and more!).

Not surprisingly, the Patriots take first prize for most hated team and most hated coach. Partly because everybody tires of a perennial winner and partly (okay, mostly) because the league has identified the Pats as chronic cheaters, first with Spygate in 2007 and the ongoing Deflategate mess.

At the other end of the spectrum, Dan Snyder finally wins something: Most-hated owner. The man who bought the Redskins in 1999 is roundly unpopular, whether it's because of his questionable personnel decisions -- regarding players and coaches -- or his refusal to move on from the team's name, which is considered offensive by just about everybody from Native Americans to the the U.S. Government.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...hated-team-philly-has-most-hated-fans-si-says

1Pvz7Vr.gif

As someone who grew up in the Philly area and now lives in New England... well, I'm not sure what it means. Either way most of these professional athletes are terrible human beings, a pox on all of them.

entremet

As someone who grew up in the Philly area and now lives in New England... well, I'm not sure what it means. Either way most of these professional athletes are terrible human beings, a pox on all of them.

People hate the Patriots as team, Bellichek as a coach, and they hate Philly's fans.

Cowboys fans are like "finally!". Although it did take 20 years of irrelevance to not be the most hated but hey, we aren't complaining!

I rank this poll the most obvious poll ever.

Philly fans booed Santa Claus, remember that folks.

Because this nonsense ALWAYS COMES UP:

Philly fans throwing snowballs at santa:
he infamous "booing Santa Claus" episode took place at old Franklin Field (then the home field of the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles franchise) on 15 December 1968, as the Eagles squared off against the Minnesota Vikings in their final game of the season. The Eagles' record stood at a dismal 2-11 going into the game (they'd end the season 2-12 after losing to the Vikings that day); even worse, Philadelphia had begun the year with a pathetic eleven straight losses, and two meaningless late season victories had served no purpose other than to take the Eagles out of the running for the #1 pick in the upcoming NFL/AFL common draft. (The 1-12-1 Buffalo Bills garnered the first pick and used it to select a USC running back named O.J. Simpson; the Eagles went third and chose forgettable running back Leroy Keyes from Purdue.)

Adding to the disenchanting game environment that Sunday afternoon was the weather: It had been snowing in Philadelphia since the night before, and by game time the temperature was in the low 20s, with a wind chill factor abetted by wind gusts of up to 30 miles per hour. Arriving fans reportedly had to clear their seats of
an accumulated three inches of slush and snow before sitting down.
Still, as noted in The Great Philadelphia Fan Book, the fact that over 54,000 people showed up to watch a miserable team play in miserable weather is a testament to the loyalty of Philadelphia fans.

So Santa actually didnt show up, and then they grabbed some jabroni from the stands:
Some, such as Jim Gallagher, the Eagles' public relations director at the time, claimed the bad behavior was prompted by Santa's pathetic physical appearance, recalling: "He was the worst-looking Santa I'd ever seen. Bad suit, scraggly beard. I'm not sure whether he was drunk, but he appeared to be."

Also, Eisenhower was president. People get stabbed at dodgers games like every night now. find something new. Santa dont even care:

When the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers held a December 2003 promotion to set a record for the largest number of Santas at one gathering, in conjunction with a game against the Orlando Magic, Frank Olivo made an appearance in costume to reprise his role as Philadelphia's most (in)famous Santa Claus:
"They started out cheering," Olivo said of the fans, "then they realized they had to keep their image up, and it trailed off into boos. It made me feel right at home. I grew up with these fans. I'm one of them. But they didn't throw anything at me, that was a good thing."

Yall just baby skin soft fans

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I have no problems with the Patriots. As a Steelers fan, I'm looking forward to watching the Steelers destroy them week one.

Because this nonsense ALWAYS COMES UP:

Philly fans throwing snowballs at santa:

So Santa actually didnt show up, and then they grabbed some jabroni from the stands:

Also, Eisenhower was president. People get stabbed at dodgers games like every night now. find something new. Santa dont even care:

Yall just baby skin soft fans

They pelted jimmy Johnson with batteries. Philly fans suck, period. Forever angry at their hierarchy placement in the NFC East

And this is why I haven't picked up a Sports Illustrated issue in over a decade.

Even the swimsuit issue is a just a sad attempt to get hormones involved. You can just go online for that now.

Camwi

They pelted jimmy Johnson with batteries. Philly fans suck, period. Forever angry at their hierarchy placement in the NFC East

Seriously, as if the Santa incident is why they get so much hate. All you have to do is watch one Eagles home game. The team has one bad drive and the fans start booing. Really shitty way to support your team.

Seriously, as if the Santa incident is why they get so much hate. All you have to do is watch one Eagles home game. The team has one bad drive and the fans start booing. Really shitty way to support your team.

lol seriously if you can find me an on demand stream from a game last season where after every bad drive fans start booing ill eat a hat.

what happens in Brady's purse stays in Brady's purse

This sort of boosterism would make sense to me if, say, your ticket entitled you to a share of the team's profits. But as far as I can tell they've pulled off this amazing scam where they convince people that giving the team money makes the fans winners. In that sense I suppose its the modern version of convincing folks of admittance to the afterlife based on their tithing.

And also why Green Bay is probably the only semi-respectable football team in the US, based on their cooperative ownership structure.

PopeReal

I always enjoy that pointing out being caught cheating = salt.

I guess people should just ignore it. Can't have that truth salt.

Seanspeed

Banned
I always enjoy that pointing out being caught cheating = salt.

I guess people should just ignore it. Can't have that truth salt.
People making the biggest deal out of something that had no outcome of the game and want them stripped of a legitimate Superbowl championship = salt.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The cheating controversies were both overblown and stupid. Other teams do the same exact things and don't get called cheaters for it.

I love how Philly fans are considered the worst when the Dodgers/Giants fans actually KILLED PEOPLE and committed attacks that caused brain damage...

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Dodgers-fan-slain-following-Giants-game-4845399.php

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-men-plead-guilty-to-2011-beating-at-dodger-stadium/

But yea, Philly is the worst because of some snowballs.

LOL

This is exactly what I don't get. Sure Philly fans boo their team when they shouldn't and maybe aren't the most supportive, but then you hear about shit like this happening in parking lots and the booing doesn't seem so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom