• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patty Jenkins Confirms She's Directing the Wonder Woman Sequel

Link.

While speaking in a Q&A at Women in Film screening of her smash hit Wonder Woman, director Patty Jenkins confirmed she will indeed direct the upcoming Wonder Woman sequel.

"I had an epiphany about Wonder Woman 2," she told the audience of fellow female filmmakers, "I was like, you don't have to do this. It doesn't have to be a foregone conclusion that you do Wonder Woman 2. But then as I was falling asleep I had an epiphany. I was like, Wait a minute. You have the greatest character of all time that you love dearly, with a cast that you love sitting at the palm of your hand at this day and age — you can do whatever you want with them — are you crazy? And then I suddenly realized, it's not more, it's another movie. It's its own movie. And it's got to be great."

Amid cheers, she continued, "It's a continuation of the same character, but there's a great, entirely different story to be told." Jenkins also hinted that the sequel will take place in modern day. "With this character in our—" She said, before correcting herself, "in the world, that's fun, because now she exists, just funny, and also says something profound about the world we're in right now."

Jenkins broke records earlier this month when Wonder Woman achieved the highest-ever U.S. opening weekend for a film directed by a woman. She has directed numerous episodes of The Killing, Arrested Development, and Entourage, and broke into the industry with her 2003 writer-director debut, Monster, which won Charlize Theron the Academy Award for Best Actress for her portrayal of serial killer Aileen Wuornos.

Couldn't find a thread.

mcfrank

giphy.gif

Veelk

Banned
Good, good.

Only concern is how all of Wonder Woman's cast is now basically dead. I guess write a new supporting cast, but it's unfortunate that's necessary.

Also, hopefully, Wondy isn't character assassinated in Justice League in the meantime.

Raguel

Jenkins should be given a blank check from Warners to do whatever she wants after she delivered wonderfully with WW.

I mean, she did make the best DCEU movie so far, so it makes sense. I wouldn't want someone to ruin what she did with that character.

That being said, it had better still be in the past, because that's the most interesting part of the character in my opinion. A modern day movie with more super heroes would be a waste. Basically, I want the opposite of what happened with the Captain America movies.
Also maybe a more interesting villain than in the first WW?

lmaoo why? Kennedy is doing just fine

Without Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the Han Solo film has a good chance to end up like dog shit. Plus, she's 1 for 2 so far, and I wouldn't call 50% fine. To be fair, there's only been 2 movies, and TLJ looks like a step in the right direction, but I have little to no faith since this is now the second time a spin-off is in jeopardy because of her vice grip on creative control.

sphagnum

Banned
Without Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the Han Solo film has a good chance to end up like dog shit. Plus, she's 1 for 2 so far, and I wouldn't call 50% fine. To be fair, there's only been 2 movies, and TLJ looks like a step in the right direction, but I have little to no faith since this is now the second time a spin-off is in jeopardy because of her vice grip on creative control.

Kennedy probably saved Rogue One by bringing in Gilroy.

Boke1879

lmaoo she's 2 for 2. Don't try to rewrite history. These new movies have been loved by fans and the brand is as big as ever.

I have no idea how this Han movie will turn out, but it turns out Lord and Miller weren't the best fit. She's attempting to correct that mistake. We'll see how it pays off next year.

Also I'll say it here The last Jedi will make it 3 for 3 with her.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Seems like a wink wink, nudge nudge type of deal where she isn't explicitly confirming it, but strongly suggests it's going to happen. Complete with the ;) and hashtag.

She's negotiating in public. Gunning for a new yacht no doubt.

firelogic

Oh please. Ron Howard is a legit genius filmmaker. Han Solo will be better than fine.

If he directed it from start to finish it'd still be a maybe based on his recent track record but he's not even doing that. The movie has been filming for 4 months and only has 3 weeks left. He's got to salvage what they already shot and turn it into something. The 4 months of shooting that sucked so bad that they fired the directors.

sphagnum

Banned
If he directed it from start to finish it'd still be a maybe based on his recent track record but he's not even doing that. The movie has been filming for 4 months and only has 3 weeks left. He's got to salvage what they already shot and turn it into something. The 4 months of shooting that sucked so bad that they fired the directors.

IIRC they shot scenes both with improv and straight from the script to appease Kasdan, but left in control they probably would have gone with the improv. Howard will undoubtedly mostly use the takes from the scripted versions, plus reshoot what he wants.

Good, good.

Only concern is how all of Wonder Woman's cast is now basically dead. I guess write a new supporting cast, but it's unfortunate that's necessary.

Also, hopefully, Wondy isn't character assassinated in Justice League in the meantime.

Eh, going off of her characterization in BvS and the snippets we've seen on JL she's a little more worldly (and world-weary) but otherwise similar.

And technically Chief might be alive on account of that demigod thing.

lmaoo she's 2 for 2. Don't try to rewrite history. These new movies have been loved by fans and the brand is as big as ever.

I have no idea how this Han movie will turn out, but it turns out Lord and Miller weren't the best fit. She's attempting to correct that mistake. We'll see how it pays off next year.

Also I'll say it here The last Jedi will make it 3 for 3 with her.

I'm pretty sure a bunch of fans have changed their opinion on TFA after letting the hype die down, considering all the criticism it got for being a complete retread of Episode IV. I am one of those, therefor, in my mind, she's 1 for 2 (I did enjoy RO).

They weren't a fit with her. The Han Solo film should be an action-comedy, and with their experience with the Jump Street movies and The LEGO Movie to some degree, they are a pretty damn good fit, at least to me. And regardless of Ron Howard's pedigree, he's not as good of a fit as they would've been. Hopefully, like with Ant-Man, some of their vision shines through in the end.

Again, I'm cautiously optimistic for TLJ, but hopefully a new trailer from D23 will cement that optimism.

You make it sound like she's some newcomer that came out of nowhere and is ruining Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy is one of the most qualified, successful, and hardworking producers in Hollywood history. Probably second only to Spielberg. Her career spans decades, not just the few years since taking over Lucasfilm. She is in fact 2 for 2 with Star Wars and unquestionably revitalized the brand.

You make it sound like she's some newcomer that came out of nowhere and is ruining Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy is one of the most qualified, successful, and hardworking producers in Hollywood history. Probably second only to Spielberg. Her career spans decades, not just the few years since taking over Lucasfilm. She is in fact 2 for 2 with Star Wars and unquestionably revitalized the brand.

I know that she has a great history. I've seen her resume. It is undoubtedly impressive. My comments mostly have to do with how she's been handling Star Wars specifically. Just because people like Star Wars again doesn't mean that TFA gets a pass by me. I will eat crow if Han Solo turns out as good as Rogue One, since they both seem to have similar problems before release. But I believe this is a mistake, and at least to me makes it look like she is continuing to play it safe. And I don't think she personally is ruining Star Wars; it is absolutely in the best place it's been in years. But if the movies continue to have these behind-the-scenes problems, eventually it's going to bite them in the ass.

Falchion

I don't know about greatest character of all time but this is awesome news that she's coming back for another!

Ross61

WB isn't letting Jenkins go anytime soon.

Who she needs to sign ASAP is DuVernay.

Studio is probably, as Justice League gets closer to releasing, going to let rumors leak out that Whedon actually DID help somewhat on the first one

It wasn't tone deaf and sexist so I doubt it. Keep Whedon far away from Wondy.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Studio is probably, as Justice League gets closer to releasing, going to let rumors leak out that Whedon actually DID help somewhat on the first one.

I was actually joking based on everyone's reaction to that leaked Whedon Wonder Woman script.

Top Bottom