• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2012 Registration Open

Hero

pax-east.png

Just in time for the holidays, reigstration for PAX Easton 2012 has opened up. Seeing as how both PAX Prime and PAX East are getting bigger each and every year I figured it might be helpful to have a thread for people who are interested but on the fence or just not aware. Each year the badges seem to sell out a bit faster and with the whole fake ticket fiasco at PAX Prime 2011 it's pretty beneficial to register ASAP if you know you want to attend.

What: PAX East 2012 will be the third annual Penny Arcade eXpo convention on the east coast after the massive popularity and success of the original PAX (now known as PAX Prime) out in Washington. It is one of the largest public gaming conventions for console, computer and tabletop gaming. In 2011, PAX East reached a record-breaking 69,500 attendees in only its second year.

Where: Boston, MA at the Boston Convention and Exhibit Center (BCEC)

When: April 6th-8th 2012 An important notice here, PAX East 2010 falls on EASTER WEEKEND this year. Unfortunately due to availability in Boston this was the only available weekend. As either an added bonus or penalty, Anime Boston will be held during the same weekend in a different part of the city and the rumor is there will be shuttles throughout the weekend offering transportation between the two conventions. Get your game on during the day and get your weeaboo on during the evening. Anything is possible.

Site: http://east.paxsite.com/

Badges: 3 day weekend badges are 65 dollars up front and they will mail the badges to you.

Hotels: Currently a lot of hotel rooms are available but they are quickly going out. In fact the connected hotel (The Westin) is already sold out. Secure your room now. Generally hotel rooms are offered at a discounted rate for conventions and from the looks of it are in the 200 dollar per night range.

Last year was the first PAX I attended and had a blast. There will no doubt be huge industry presence there in the form of preview games, demos, betas, speakers, guest stars, musicians, etc. Hopefully there will be a large GAF presence as well.

Who's in for PAX East 2012?

UPDATE 3

Panel Schedule is now up! Check it out here! Lots of excellent, varied topics with a few GAFers being on quite a few of them.

UPDATE 2

Less than 1000 Saturday-only PAX East badges available according to the official Twitter. Last chance to be able to attend the convention.

UPDATE 1

3 day badges are officially sold out! From this point on the only passes they will be selling are single-day ones so if you want to go be sure to pick up the appropriate day badge. They will most likely sell out of these as well so don't delay.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I'll be going! I went to the last 2 PAXEasts and loved it. Already made hotel reservations and will be ordering my pass tomorrow.

Don't know if I'll have a job by then, or whether I can afford to go or not, so this might be the last one for a while.

But in. So in, again.

Ah right.

PAX East 2012 is going to suck royally for fans. This is the year where both PAX East and Anime Boston take place in the SAME Weekend due to a scheduling error. They want to work together but really? Non-profit and for-profit organizations can't work together.

This will either be a big screwup or an astounding success, there is no middle ground.

Eurocult said:
Is Anime Boston going to be at a different venue?

Yep. Anime Boston will be at the Hynes.

Eurocult

Thanks OP! I was waiting for registration to open, but I tend to forget about these things until it's too late. I'm moving to Cambridge next month so this was an easy decision for me.

Is Anime Boston going to be at a different venue?

Hero

Nora Kisaragi said:
Ah right.

PAX East 2012 is going to suck royally for fans. This is the year where both PAX East and Anime Boston take place in the SAME Weekend due to a scheduling error. They want to work together but really? Non-profit and for-profit organizations can't work together.

This will either be a big screwup or an astounding success, there is no middle ground.

If anything I'm hoping that there will be less of a crowd at PAX East because of Anime Boston going on during the same time. It was really crowded at PAX so hopefully this will open up some more space.

Still trying to decide if I want to go. I'm leaning toward yes but we'll see. Looking forward to hearing more info on what's going to be there. Press registration isn't even open yet.

krae_man

I had a blast at Prime this year, but I'm already going to Wrestlemania the weekend before and I can't afford both. I'll have to stick to Prime only next year.

Lucario

Nora Kisaragi said:
Ah right.

Absolutely nothing will change for PAX East, as tickets will sell out no matter what; probably a month in advance again!

AB may see decreased attendance however, as Anime Boston is a disgusting example of how to run a convention, especially compared to the glory that is PAX East; the main events (read: only reasons to go to the con) have lines that last multiple hours, and for years the scheduling has been so incompetent that simply waiting in line to get your pre-registered badge has taken some people 6 or more hours. The main concert is usually a 4 hour line minimum to get in, 6 or more to get decent seats.

You can do one thing daily at anime boston. The rest of the time will be spent waiting in lines because whoever runs it has absolutely no idea how to schedule, and refuses to change venues.

The rave is fun as hell, though. Last year I got fed up with the con and just got a 1-day badge to go to that.

Just signed up!

This will be my first PAX - any tips for making the most out of the 3 days? Things to avoid? Long lines that aren't worth it? Parties worth going to?

And for whoever mentioned the Anime Boston rave being a blast - is that a yearly official thing or something only for those "in the know"?

DTJAAAAM

This will be the first PAX I'll miss since I first started going in 2006. I really wish I could be in two places at once!

Just signed up!

This will be my first PAX - any tips for making the most out of the 3 days? Things to avoid? Long lines that aren't worth it? Parties worth going to?

And for whoever mentioned the Anime Boston rave being a blast - is that a yearly official thing or something only for those "in the know"?
No one?

Hero

3 day badges are officially sold out. From here on out if you want to go the only way is to get single day passes or buy a 3 day badge from someone else. From here on out the single day passes will be selling faster so don't put it off if you want to attend.

Just signed up!

As we get closer to the actual convention there will be a list of all the different panels and events. Determine beforehand if you want to go to any of those and if so depending on what it is prepare to wait at least 2 hours in advance in line to guarantee you get in.

The rave at AB or any other anime convention is official and happens every con and usually both Friday and Saturday nights. They usually start out really packed and then it starts to smell bad very quickly.

OnPoint

We took a friend to the rave last year to sober up before heading back to our hotel. He almost ended up kicking people in the face doing flips, lost his shoes, tore his shirt off... it was a great mess.

Can't wait for this year.

5amshift

Banned
Waiting confirmation on my Media badge again. Last year was amazing and hopefully Rockstar has Max Payne 3 available this year.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Speaking of panels. When are they putting the schedule up? Shit is less than two months away.

I figure Alcander knows if it's completed yet. Yes/No?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Which panels? I'd like to say "hi".

Mine is "Talkin' 'Bout My (Content) Generation", Friday, 10am, Naga. Community-focused discussion on making user-generated content systems 'work' in a technical and organizational sense, using Rock Band Network as the primary use case (though obviously other systems will be brought up for comparison's sake).

Speaking of panels. When are they putting the schedule up? Shit is less than two months away.

I figure Alcander knows if it's completed yet. Yes/No?

The deadline to verify panel participation is next Wednesday, so I suspect they'll be publishing the schedule first week of March or so.

Still waiting to be approved for my Media badge. Anybody else get an E-Mail about that yet?

All I know is we'll be hearing about panelist badges in late March, so maybe you'll hear about Media badges around the same time?

I really hope Giant Bomb makes the trek back. Their panel/Bombcast and subsequent bar meet-up was the highlight of my PAX trip last year. Eagerly awaiting confirmation / schedule!

creid

I'm pumped, but I've got to find a roommate. All my usual people are off celebrating Jesus's birthday, or something.

mollipen

Which panels? I'd like to say "hi".

Are we allowed to say at this point? I've never been part of a panel at any of these kinds of things before, so I don't know if what is being presented is some sort of secret before the full roster is shown.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Are we allowed to say at this point? I've never been part of a panel at any of these kinds of things before, so I don't know if what is being presented is some sort of secret before the full roster is shown.

Nope, the email said you can talk all you want about it if you want to.

That said, if the people moderating/running your panel want it to be kept quiet (I know one of the other Harmonix ones is secret for now) then it'd be best not to divulge.

Top Bottom