• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX Prime 2015 Attendees Thread

ADDENDUM: I'm a bit bummed that I'm missing Prime this year. The streamed content is helping, but not by much.
It's probably more fun if you have a hotel room and are going with a group of friends, anyway. The only game I really wanted to try was Dark Souls 3, but the line was 3 hours long. Nothing else has really stood out to me, so this has probably been the least exciting PAX for me so far.

Anybody go to the gearbox panel? What did they give away?
They gave away the Homeworld Remastered Collection. Plus, they said you'd get something else later down the line using the same code (that you redeem on their website). That panel went on for about 30 minutes longer than it was supposed to, though, which pissed me off. And some couple got married during it. It was really bizarre.

Karak

And some couple got married during it. PAX was really bizarre.
LOL

But ya I hear you. As for going or staying. Neither is a better option than the other having gone and having not gone they both have positives and negatives. Its not earth shattering and its not something that is easily missed if you can go.

I have gone as both press and fan different times and it has been relatively useful but not mind blowing.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Wait... as in HELD THEIR WEDDING there?? I've seen like Star Wars proposals at events, but not a full-on wedding! (Was it themed?)

Moofers

Somebody make a Donald Duck meme where he comes out and says "Everything was capped."

They need to address this problem next year. Fuckin 3 hour lines that are capped all damn day is not my idea of fun. I played Titanfall two years ago and it was the longest line there at an hour and a half. I ran through it a 2nd time and that took 45 minutes. It's fucking STUPID to go check out For Honor, find it's capped, go to The Division, find it's capped, go to Halo 5, find it's capped, and go to Morpheus and find out it's appointment only and they were all booked 10 minutes into the damn day!

Like what is the point of even going? It's a convention of standing in line. You do two of those 3 hour lines and there's your day. Wow, awesome! And that's if your lucky enough to be walking by when they let more people in the line.

It should be a rule that exhibitors need to have a wait line that is no more than 90 minutes. Redesign your booth and your damn demos if you are looking at a 3 hour wait for your game. Good Lord there's thousands of people at this thing you gotta get more than 75 of them in to play !

Rant over. Ugh. Sorry but I'm annoyed with it this year.

Trouble

Banned
I ended playing light gun games tonight. Good thing I'm not prone to seizures with one CRT I used!

I played honest to god VR games today after eating too much sushi for lunch and didn't vomit all over the place, so I feel fairly confident a that I'm not one of those people who can't play VR games.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I played honest to god VR games today after eating too much sushi for lunch and didn't vomit all over the place, so I feel fairly confident a that I'm not one of those people who can't play VR games.

I feel like VR is a bit disorienting. At least it was when I tried out Occulus' build at PAX13. It was just a demo where you sat in an F1 car and watched the game, not in control. The graphics at the time killed the experience, but looking around as a passenger was odd. I told the rep I wasn't too impresses and she seemed surprised :x

It's mind blowing to me that Dark Souls 3 didn't go with the same demo policy of "play till you die" and instead, apparently gives you the chance to make it to the boss regardless of times died. That's absurd and guarantees a long wait time.

Agreed 100% that some of the lines could be easily cut down via demo play times. I'd much rather wait in a 20 minute line for a 5 minute demo then a 2 hour line for a 30 minute one.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed 100% that some of the lines could be easily cut down via demo play times. I'd much rather wait in a 20 minute line for a 5 minute demo then a 2 hour line for a 30 minute one.

Agreed. One year there was a Zelda scavanger hunt for a tshirt. I really wanted one even though I was sick and it involved standing in line for the Windwaker HD demo. If you chose the explore demo, it took foreverrrrrr rather than fighting the boss. The line got very restless with lots picking that option, and finally we convinced the rep to give us the stamp via a quiz. Being sick and waiting like an hour sucked when it felt like your head was about to fall off.

Just like Mario Maker, some people were going for that full 20 mins. I like trying stuff but I don't like taking advantage of the full time when others want to sample ot too.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
waited 2.5 hrs to play 10m of dark souls 3. the free t-shirt is what kept me going too bad they ran out while i was half way through the line. feels bad man.

anyways i tried Morpheus almost died from the vr motion sickness. but just the first part of the game where you're just experiencing it is really cool. only got really sick once you got control of the game. one other thing is it was super aliased not sure if that was the game or the display.

also rode a roller coaster on i think a first gen occulus rift at the msi booth also got a little motion sick but not as much probably due to not having direct control.

HTC Vive truck line is approx 25% full already.
I saw the truck line at around 8. Didn't look so bad, so I may try that tomorrow morning.

Currently in the Annex line with maybe... 30-40 people in front of me. Not sure if it's any different from the main con line. I hope I can try out For Honor and/or Battleborn.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Wow I've been in the Nvidia line since 9 this morning and they have been giving out video cards to some people in line.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
***PAX Report***

Vive is the real deal. Go wake up early you butts. You want the portal demo. There's also another setup in the Hyatt for the non-loop, some adventure game.
Valkyrie on OR Cresent Bay was nice to see, but honestly having controllers and moving is just so much better. (Nvidia booth)
Gigantic is pretty darn fun and feels basically done, looking forward to playing at home.
Midair is pre alpha, missed whoever else went, but it's tribes. If you don't get tribes yeah it won't do anything for you lol.
Assault Android Cactus is cool as usual, great to say Paz finally. There's a lot more to the game than meets the eye if you go for high scores, its not just another twin stick shooter.
Below I finally played! Said hi to Nathan too.
Indie megabooth has a OR and GearVR setup with a hacking thing and a tabletop war game Tactica(?) Simple games that work really well and short line.
I heard lawbreakers was good so I'm gonna give that a shot today.

@VRsickness that's why VIVE is 90Hz with super low latency. Especially pax13 whatever is what they are solving.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Let the capping adventure begin!! Dark Souls 3 is capped for the next 20 mins. Star Fox is WORSE than Friday with the line looping around and going out the hall... yeesh!!

Mazre

Vive is awesome line up early for appt tomorrow or stop by cloudhead @hyatt, line is currently 2-3 hours (short according to the host)

Ugh. The wait for For Honor is taking way longer than I hoped for, but my turn is next. I'll be checking out mostly smaller games for the rest of the convention.

I may try Battleborn outside the official booth if given the chance.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
PAX16 OT:There's a line for that!

I had to sit since my back was sore with standing and waiting so long.

There were like 5 people in line when I played yesterday. You should get a t-shirt for playing, too.
I must have missed that. Back at Sheraton waiting for Game Scoop panel.

Lost 3 hours waiting to play For Honor. The game itself was fun and my team won, if just barely. The mechanics on how you attack and block are complex, as in you attack and block to the direction your opponent is attacking (somewhat like Infinity Blade when you parry in the same fashion).

Played Just Cause 3 for two short challenges. Like how you blow stuff up.

Indies played were as follows:

Lost Orbit - Hold X to boost and collect crystals while manuvering through asteroids. That's about it.

Rivals of Aether - 16 (?)-bit Super Smash Bros w/ furrys. That's all you need to know.

I was sure I wasn't going to buy anything, until there was a $5 discount for a $50 headset. Then I was upsold to use those $5 saved for a 16GB flash drive.
Sound quality is good though.

krae_man

Pit people was awesome. Super Mario Maker is awesome too. After Gamescoop, I'm gonna get ready for the Meetup. See you all there.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Dear PAX exhibit people: plz come next year with demos only 5-10 mins so we don't waste our time in dreadful lines. Everyone should be able to sample evn if they can't complete it. Some lines were already shutting down at like 330 today due to the length. It sucks.

Karak

Finished up an hour long meeting with President of Runic Games and some on hands with HOB. Got some good footage. All in all a fantastic look at what appears to be a great title.

For Honor was great.
Rainbow Six was surprisingly fun but they had some of the devs play with our team which was awesome.

Kingdom was a great little indie title.

Syndicate was surprisingly in depth and we had an outstanding developer discussion with the devs for AC. That was really interesting to see what they are attempting.

Hard West was fantastic. My lord.

Sword Coast Legends DM mode blew me away. Spent some time discussing the game with their devs. So many nuances across both modes and the surprises in store for peeps sounds great.

Homefront Revolution is by far the most improved game in a series I have seen. The weapon system was incredible the open world bits were a blast. But as always jury is out.

Saw about 12 dozen indie games and noticed that the pixel art look is getting very overused. Lots of games looked different but the same like they were all using UNITY or something lol

Got to interview the President of Harebrained Schemes, Jordan Weisman about Battletech, SR:HK, Cranston Snord's Irregulars and his career. That dude is amazing. Spent an hour with a smaller channel shooting the shit and laughing about the industry.

I almost wonder if PAX needs to implement more of an appointment-based system for demos, rather than the line chaos. Set aside the majority of stations for appointments that can be reserved digitally, then have a short line for any no-shows.

Might be tough to implement with the lack of reliable internet service within the convention center, but I have to imagine the current system isn't the best solution.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I almost wonder if PAX needs to implement more of an appointment-based system for demos, rather than the line chaos. Set aside the majority of stations for appointments that can be reserved digitally, then have a short line for any no-shows.

Might be tough to implement with the lack of reliable internet service within the convention center, but I have to imagine the current system isn't the best solution.

Or tickets or something yeah. These lines are putting me in a bad mood. I actually left one cause I got bummed out. Did not think it would take like an hr and a half but it did. By time I had to leave because I wanted to try something even more because they are closing soon. Really crappy situation. The lines are making me want to play anything less, really.

Somebody make a Donald Duck meme where he comes out and says "Everything was capped."

They need to address this problem next year. Fuckin 3 hour lines that are capped all damn day is not my idea of fun. I played Titanfall two years ago and it was the longest line there at an hour and a half. I ran through it a 2nd time and that took 45 minutes. It's fucking STUPID to go check out For Honor, find it's capped, go to The Division, find it's capped, go to Halo 5, find it's capped, and go to Morpheus and find out it's appointment only and they were all booked 10 minutes into the damn day!

Like what is the point of even going? It's a convention of standing in line. You do two of those 3 hour lines and there's your day. Wow, awesome! And that's if your lucky enough to be walking by when they let more people in the line.

It should be a rule that exhibitors need to have a wait line that is no more than 90 minutes. Redesign your booth and your damn demos if you are looking at a 3 hour wait for your game. Good Lord there's thousands of people at this thing you gotta get more than 75 of them in to play !

Rant over. Ugh. Sorry but I'm annoyed with it this year.

East was bad for this, too. Overwatch was perpetually capped.

krae_man

I think the solution is more floor space but the same number of exhibitors. Make the exhibitors have a proper amount of stations. 50 instead of 10. 100 instead of 20 etc.

Wazzy

Banned
Pax update for today:

Lined up for Ravana FF XIV and our group wiped. We had four new peeps(two which were our friends) and it just didn't work out since we ran out of time but it was still a good try. We really wanted to beat it and get the shirt so me and Bluebadger teamed up with two of the previous guys from our last try and made a group with some Twitch XIV player who was amazing. We cleared like it was nothing so I'm now a proud I Beat Ravana shirt owner. :D

Anyway we also played Tri-force heroes and we sucked ass in a hilarious way. We cleared it and got shirts and ended the day with that. Tomorrow's plan is to hit up Halo 5 and a couple other missed games before PAX ends.

wilflare

to the 3 GAFfers that dropped by today, thank you! :D
really appreciate you guys coming by - hope you enjoyed what you played!

Top Bottom