• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX West 2017 Attendees Thread

krae_man

GShYvRe.png

It's that time of year again!

What is it?

PAX Prime is a 4 day geek culture convention with video games as the focal point. There's an expo hall where you can demo some games before they come out, panels you can check out, a tabletop area, console freeplay, tournaments, concerts etc

When is It?

Sept 1-4, 2017

Where is it?

Washington State Convention Center, Seattle Washington

Expo Hall hours?

Show Floor is 10am-6pm each day. Other parts like the console freeplay, tabletop area etc are 10am-12am Fri-Sun and 10am-7pm Monday.

How much are tickets?

Tickets were $48/day but are now sold out. If you want tickets now you'll need to buy through a third party. You can try /r/PaxPassExchange among other places. There are often people selling tickets outside the convention center and PAX has a badge verification check you can use to verify a badges authenticity before purchasing. Do not buy from a third party outside the convention center unless the seller is willing to go with you to verify the badge.

fDj3KB9.jpg

The nearest airport is Seattle-Tacoma. The airport code is SEA.

Once you arrive at the airport, you can take the Light Rail link to downtown Seattle for only $3. Here are the last few light rail stops(note Convention center is on the corner of 7th and Pike):

YeV0F1v.jpg

You can walk to your hotel from there pretty easily if you picked one near the convention center.

The Light Rail now also continues on to Capital Hill and Washington University so you have more options to mass transit places.

lrKBg6R.jpg

The best place to book a hotel is through the official hotel list which you can access here:

https://compass.onpeak.com/e/012600482/1#hotels

Most stuff is already booked up but you might get lucky with a last minute cancellation. Otherwise you can check out what is available through others sites.

OmiEK9Y.jpg

Floor plans!

W8kBgs2.jpg

Panel list(subject to change) is available now via the Guidebook app. Just search PAX Prime 2017 on Google Play or iTunes or view the mobile app online here. Schedule is posted on the PAX West website as well.

Main Theatre: Benaroya Hall
Cat Theatre: Convention Center, Level 2
Hydra Theatre: Grand Hyatt, Level 1
Hippogriff Theatre: Grand Hyatt, Level 1
Sasquatch Theatre: Sheraton, Level 2
Sandworm Theater: Sheraton, Level 2
Sphinx Theatre: Sheraton, Level 3
Wyvern Theatre: Westin, Level 4

The Westin is a bit of a walk from the Convention Center so give yourself some extra time if you plan on attending a panel in the Westin. It's on the corner of 5th, Stewart, and Westlake(yep three corners).

Q) I'm not at PAX, any way I can experience it at home?
A) Yes PAX streams some panels on the following channels:

www.twitch.tv/pax

www.twitch.tv/pax2

www.twitch.tv/pax3

Will all be streaming theaters. Last year the Main, Hydra, and Wyvern theatres were streamed.

823FxYK.jpg

Bungie is taking over the Paramount Theatre Friday Saturday and Sunday. Go there for your Destiny 2 fix.

Console Freeplay is now on level 6 of the Convention Center

Swag Bags can be picked up at the Westin and contain a League of Legends code/skin thing.

evXOqTk.jpg

-Check out the exhibit hall and play some unreleased games
-Go to some panels. There is a wide variety so there is bound to be some you are interested in
-Console Free play. Borrow a game and play it on a number of retro consoles in the free play room. All free
-Table Top: Take part in some table top games in the tabletop area
-Retro Arcade. Play some cool old arcade and pinball games
-Tournaments. Throughout PAX there will be tournaments for various games. Games and times are in the schedule

igDrw6h.jpg

We’ve got some amazing musical talent closing out Friday and Saturday nights at PAX and we hope you will enjoy them with us. Friday will kick off in fantastic fashion with Bit Brigade, MC Frontalot, and Mega Ran & K-Murdock! Saturday doesn’t take its foot off the gas either with The OneUps, The Doubleclicks, and Super Soul Bros all coming to deliver awesome sets.

HrfaFJ8.jpg

Gameworks
Gameworks is a Barcade with tons of arcade machines. and it's pretty much right across the street from the convention center

Seattle Pinball Museam
Become the Pinball Wizzard!

Top Pot Donuts
mmmmm sprinkles

Seattle Monorail
yajcwXM.jpg

unA9Hsj.jpg

Friday Sept 1 9pm @ Rhein Haus

It's a bit of a walk, but it's a big place with a good selection of drinks and food and whatnot.

How do I Get there?

QimCUxp.jpg

It's a pretty simple walk. You could probably cut some distance walking on foot by cutting through Seattle University but Pike to 12th is the easiest if you're not familiar with walking around Seattle.

I plan on going to the Life Is Strange Before The Storm Launch party which is 6pm-9pm at the Unicorn which is right on the corner of pike and 12th. Everyone is welcome to join me for that first.

Why should I come?

Because putting faces to avatars and meeting new people is the best part of conventions like PAX(I'm an expert!). Come hang out have a drink if you like and chat about what you saw/played at PAX.

Meeting Gaffers is my favorite part of PAX, you should all come.

tmFKv2E.jpg

A pretty good up to date list of PAX parties can be found here:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/213098/pax-party-line-2017

Or here:

https://twitter.com/paxparties

nWDvQ9N.jpg

-Snacks and Water. You're going to be waiting in line a lot to get into your favorite panels and to try the latest games. It always helps to have snacks and beverages so you don't have to decide between waiting in line for food or going to another panel/playing another game.

Hand Sanitizer There will be plenty available for you to use around the convention center but it's always best to have your own in case it's just out of reach.

-Handheld game systems. Bring your Switch!

-Something to sit on. The floor can be hard on the old backside. Bring a cushon with you, or for elite level line waiting, bring a slacker stool.

-A easy to carry bag. You're going to need it for all the above, plus the swag you'll get. Don't go overboard though as you will have to carry everything with you all day. You're not backpacking across Europe. Some people bring poster tubes to keep posters they acquire in good condition.

-Your cellphone/Switch battery will not last. Conventions are murder on your battery. I strongly recommend investing in a external battery pack of some kind.

-How long should you wait in line for a panel? Most stuff you're fine if you're there 30 minutes early. Some stuff like the Keynote and the PAX Rumble panel always book up fast. Other times popular panels end up in smaller theatres and book up insanely fast too. If you absolutely positively must see a panel and are willing to wait whatever it takes, look at the schedule and see what time the panel before it starts. The second that panel begins is the earliest you can line up(typically 90 minutes early)

-Get your sleep. you probably don't need the full 8 hours, but you don't want to be getting back to your hotel room at 4am and then waking up at 7 so you can be near the front of the line for when the convention center opens at 10am the next day.

-You might not be able to see/do everything. Pick your priorities and wait it out.

-Go to the GAF meetup/other meetups. My favorite part of conventions is meeting people I've been chatting online with for years. If you take the chance and do it, It'll become yours too. Doesn't have to be GAF. Are you part of a subreddit that is having a meetup at the convention? a Playstaiton Fansite etc? Consider attending them.

-Have Fun

Also swag finds are posted here:

Throughout the event weekend, however, attendees on reddit update their findings on topics like these: PAX Swag Hunters.

krae_man

Let me know if you see any mistakes or would like to add anything.

If you're a Gaffer with a game at the indie booth or something. I'll add a section for that.

I can't believe we're already this close. Turns out I'm only staying until Sunday too. So I have to offload my two Monday tickets I'll be grabbing from you. Probably can sell them on Craigslist, out front, or to a scalper if all else fails.

If another Gaffer wants those or Friday tickets let me know and they're yours (at cost of course.)

JPS Kai

I'm still trying to confirm arrangements for press badges and hotel. Once those tricky things are out of the way, it'll be gravytown and coffee.

Got my badges, hotel room, and flight all set.
Unfortunately, I'll only be able to attend Saturday and Sunday, but I'll be leaving late that night after the Expo Hall closes.

I'll have all Monday to rest back home.

Blues1990

I still need my Saturday pass, but I got my Sunday and Monday passes locked, in addition to my hotel. (I'll be staying at The Washington Athletic Club's inn). I'll be traveling by bus, so that will be lovely to see the sunrise when I get to Seattle on Saturday morning.

TheFunkyCactus

Neo Member
This will be my second PAX. Definitely plan on trying to go to more panels this year. I got caught up standing in some of the longer lines last year and it ate up alot of the convention for me.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going Friday and (for the first time ever) Saturday! I probably won't have time for a meet up, though.

Also, I see that there's a Nintendo panel Sat morning... I'll try going to that but ugh first thing in the morning, the line will probably be killer to get in! First time I'll be going to a panel there too (if I can get in).

chemgear

Neo Member
It's always a fun time.

We ended up with two extra 4 day badges when friends bailed though. Will have to ask around I guess.

krae_man

By the time I land and drop off my bag(s) that day, this is gonna fill up.

... Who am I kidding? It's gonna fill up an hour or two. Sounds like a big deal.

That theatre is one of the tinier ones, but they stream from it so that's why that panel is there.

I'm going to line up really early for this. Unless word gets out what the theme is and it's something I don't care about(eg Smash).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
How early is everyone going to line up for the Nintendo panel? It sounds so mysterious (I hope there will be goodies! Free SNES for all!!) Since it's a small theater, I'm thinking even earlier...

I'll be cosplaying as the Blue Shell from Mario Kart, so if any of you see me, don't hesitate to yell out your hatred of the item. ;-)

krae_man

How early is everyone going to line up for the Nintendo panel? It sounds so mysterious (I hope there will be goodies! Free SNES for all!!) Since it's a small theater, I'm thinking even earlier...

Two PAXes ago the PAX Rumble was there and I got in line at 8am and barely made the cut.

Do with that what you will.

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
I sadly will only be there until mid-day Thursday as I'm doing a talk at PAX Dev and then need to fly back out here. If anyone is around early, feel free to reach out. I'd be great to meet up with some of the members of this awesome community.

Bandini

I'll be there on Sept. 3 (Sunday). Never been before, my only plans are to wander around, buy something cool for my wife, and maybe get a match of Magic in.

ZugZug123

8am at the latest. Never seen so much hype for a panel before. And is in the Hyatt so the room is not that big.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
8am at the latest. Never seen so much hype for a panel before. And is in the Hyatt so the room is not that big.

Weird that they picked such a small room (Nintendo not meeting demand, as usual!)

I am NOT an early morning person, but I'll have to go to this. I wonder if the lines will be inside the hotel? Since we can go in at any time, basically (I'm sure some parts will be blocked off, though).

ZugZug123

Weird that they picked such a small room (Nintendo not meeting demand, as usual!)

I am NOT an early morning person, but I'll have to go to this. I wonder if the lines will be inside the hotel? Since we can go in at any time, basically (I'm sure some parts will be blocked off, though).

Yes, you line up inside the hotel, the room is along a wide corridor and the enforcers will squeeze it and cap it once full.

If I had to guess, I imagine enforcers will announce a time that morning where they'll start letting people into the line. Nothing earlier. Otherwise, people absolutely will camp a spot overnight.

A part of me hopes they clarify what the panel is, just so people can realistically set expectations. If people assume this will be a live Nintendo Direct, there'sbgoing to be a riot of people trying to claim a seat.

krae_man

That theatre is one that streamed. That's probably why.

I hope we get some hint about what it is before it happens. I'm okay with missing lining up early to go into the expo hall once during my 3 days there but not twice and PAX Rumble is Sunday.

I'm only going to go do one.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Is anyone going to the Riot / League of Legends station?

They are giving away a skin that I'd like to have - and would appreciate a code if anyone nabs their swag bag.

Thank you!

So, my PAX app just updated and now it lists the Nintendo panel as a live 'Nintendo Minute' focused on Metroid: Samus Returns. Which definitely clears stuff up, though people will absolutely still rush the line in hopes of swag.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So, my PAX app just updated and now it lists the Nintendo panel as a live 'Nintendo Minute' focused on Metroid: Samus Returns. Which definitely clears stuff up, though people will absolutely still rush the line in hopes of swag.

I would definitely like swag :x At least we have some confirmation...

I feel like they may do another Prime 4 tease, too.

Psykoboy2

Is anyone going to the Riot / League of Legends station?

They are giving away a skin that I'd like to have - and would appreciate a code if anyone nabs their swag bag.

Thank you!

I'll do you a favor if you do me one as well...

Also, glad to see the Nintendo panel is in my hotel. Will make it much easier to get in line.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm going to be there Friday and Saturday with Bluebadger and a couple friends. We're going to be cosplaying which is a first for me and hopefully it goes well lol

I'm heading straight for the XIV booth to do the Susano challenge.

I'm going to be there Friday and Saturday with Bluebadger and a couple friends. We're going to be cosplaying which is a first for me and hopefully it goes well lol

I'm heading straight for the XIV booth to do the Susano challenge.

Ayyyy so excited!! I'mma cosplay too! Can't wait!!

dLMN8R

Looking forward to going this year!

And yeah, don't pass up the opportunity to visit the various neighborhoods, especially taking the light rail up to Capitol Hill and such.

ZugZug123

Looking forward to going this year!

And yeah, don't pass up the opportunity to visit the various neighborhoods, especially taking the light rail up to Capitol Hill and such.

There is light rail to Capitol Hill? How do I catch it? I like to take public transportation when traveling :)

Top Bottom