• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 3 Drops Below 1000 Players on Steam

Draugoth

Gold Member
It seems Payday 3 is having a rough time of late. Since the epic launch back in September 2023 it seems the shooter has dipped below 1000 players on Steam. What could be the reason for such a decline a mere four months after launch?

If we look back at Payday 3’s super rocky launch that resulted in days of server issues, complaints from the community not being addressed, and the lack of content, this could be seen as the catalyst for the drop. As we know how you launch a game can determine your long-term success.

What next for Payday 3? If Starbreeze hopes to improve the player base, it must address the community's concerns. They need to lay out a proper content roadmap outside of the announced DLC. Gamers will jump ship if they are not satisfied. If Starbreeze doesn’t correct course now, likely they will end up closing the servers later in the year as more heist-style games are brought into the mix.

Capture.jpg
To make things worse, Ulf Andersson, who worked on Payday and Payday 2, is returning to the co-op heist genre with his studio 10 Chambers. Ulf revealed that his upcoming game will be a cyberpunk-style, team-based action game.

Andersson struck out on his own as CEO and founder of 10 Chambers after working on the two original Payday games, and we can bet that after the success of GTFO, this game will likely blow Payday 3 out of the water.

Source

TVexperto

Really a shame, still playing it daily, the last updates made it so much better than payday 2 - hope the devs can turn it around to convince former players to return as well

RIPN2022

I said I'll put the game on hold last September when there were performance issues that needed sorting out and couldn't get into lobby. Here's hoping for update.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
What was the big criticism with this game? I heard it flopped, but what’s the reason? Was it just server issues at launch?
Massive launch issues making the game very hard to impossible to play.
Leveling up has been overhauled, and you can only get xp by doing challenges
Always online, so you can't pause a solo game
There was no in-game communication in lobbies, so you have no idea if people want to go loud or stealth.
DLC prices much higher than the packs for PD2, for a little less than 10 you get all three things related to the heist in PD2, in PD3 the heist alone is 10, almost doubling the total price.
Some more stuff I probably forgot.

it's a shame because when it works it's genuinely good, and a much needed updated to some of PD2's core, aging systems, but it's like they just forgot all the other things that made PD2 so good.

Top Bottom