• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PayPal payment option is coming to the Nintendo Switch eShop

Cerium

Finally.

The Switch eShop is adding a brand new payment option. Going forward, system owners will be able to use PayPal to add funds to their balance.

PayPal can’t be used directly with Wii U or 3DS. However, any game purchased on Nintendo’s website can be used with PayPal. That means if you’re purchasing a Switch, Wii U, or 3DS game on the site, PayPal is an option if you’re short on funds.

We are seeing the PayPal option on Switch in Japan at present. However, nothing appears to be live in North America or Europe. Today’s announcement did indicate that the PayPal option will be extended worldwide, so we’ll let you know if we see anything.

paypal.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Paypal doesn't work cross region on the PS4. Card tied to the account has to match the country of the store. I wonder if it's going to be the same on the Switch.

BasilZero

Seems like you can buy WiiU and 3DS games too but via the website and not through the systems themselves.

Better than nothing.

Maybe now I can finally buy NSMBU+Luigi U digitally since I rather use Paypal than CC.

Also I hate how NSMBU+LU never go down in price in retail >.>.

I'll be taking advantage of Switch digital in the future providing I can find good memory card prices.

Memory

Awesome, i hope it's not set up like PSN or XLive where you are forced to link your account. I want to make single payments like Steam without having to tether my account.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What I hate about paypal in PSN is that unless your card is American, they won't take it. I wonder if this is the same here.

woopWOOP

About time

Nintendo's eShop was the only digital store I still had to buy those code cards for from the local game shop. This is gonna save time

Good news. eShop is the only online storefront that refuses to accept my card for some reason so now I can finally stop needing to buy eShop cards.

Would be overjoyed if they added direct AMEX checkout. I've always been surprised that a company as large as Nintendo would be content to hold that L and lose customers who stick to AMEX.

Netto-kun

Just tried to use my Paypal account (Norway) with my Japanese Nintendo Account. Linking required and nope, it's just the same as with PS Store. I get an error page that says "This Paypal account can not be used with the Nintendo Account of this country".

imo you should never tie your credit card or paypal or especially a debit/bank account to your Steam, PSN, xbox, or nintendo account. Go out and buy eShop cards from amazon, gamestop, best buy, etc and fund your game wallets that way. Heck, you can just straight up buy those things with paypal on paypal's website (i think) or ebay, all online, and input them straight into the various eshops.

If anyone hacks your account they can't spend more than what you have stored, and all kinds of secondary problems arise if someone buys a bunch of shit you didn't authorize - chargebacks can trigger account bans, etc.

Also you are slightly more protected if the backends of those systems are ever breached, which has happened.

Atheerios

The functionality is live worldwide it seems, just tried it with my US account and it allowed me to link it with a PayPal account from other country! (though still in the Americas).

This is incredibly convenient for me.

El Sabroso

So is available for any country that has webstore, have checked in US and JP account, my Mexican account does not show it

edit: well, US account lets my MX based paypal to be linked at least

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Could someone from NA or EU try to purchase something from the Japanese eShop, not through their CC but by using money that has been loaded into their account?

Tsunamo

Thats a shame about paypal being region tied, especially considering i've heard the EU/Aus stores are missing Paypal as a option at the moment while the US and JP stores already have it.

J@hranimo

Banned
Just tried to use my Paypal account (Norway) with my Japanese Nintendo Account. Linking required and nope, it's just the same as with PS Store. I get an error page that says "This Paypal account can not be used with the Nintendo Account of this country".

Well, damn. That was the main reason I was looking forward to this feature.

Do you guys think this means we'll be able to use a US credit card to purchase games from the EU eShop or the Japan eShop?

Nintendo would get more of my money if I could buy more of the games that aren't in the US eShop.

Edit: Ah hell. It was too good to be true. No Monster Hunter for me.

Netto-kun

Bumping just to note that it looks like you can make a seperate Japanese Paypal account, add your (in my case Norwegian) debit card to it and then link the Japanese Paypal with a Japanese Nintendo Account (didn't get any error messages). Also seems to work with Japanese PS Store in the payment option settings.

Though I would also like to note that I haven't bought anything from either stores with Paypal yet since I still have plenty of money left from prepaid cards.

Edit: I also need to wait for the Paypal authentication code to show up in my transaction statement. So that might take another 1-3 days before the Japanese Paypal account might actually work for payments.

Top Bottom