• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-Age: Can't keep that framerate up? Don't lower your settings, cap your framerate!

Peterthumpa

dark10x said:
I love CRTs, but it just doesn't cut it for me on the PC. The Kuro looks much better overall with a better ANSI contrast ratio and motion handling nearly on par with a CRT. Plus, I could never find a 16:9 CRT and 4:3 feels too constrictive these days.

At least we agree that LCDs suck for gaming.
A bit too harsh here.

When well calibrated and with lower response times, LCDs are pretty good for gaming.

dark10x said:
I love CRTs, but it just doesn't cut it for me on the PC. The Kuro looks much better overall with a better ANSI contrast ratio and motion handling nearly on par with a CRT. Plus, I could never find a 16:9 CRT and 4:3 feels too constrictive these days.

At least we agree that LCDs suck for gaming.

Not everyone can afford god tier kuro plasmas though :(

But hey it seems we largely agree, I'm only hammering at the importance of input lag.
Everyone who is familiar with playing an fps in lan on a crt at 60 fps will cringe at the day and night (more like nirvana and 9th circle of hell) difference with playing on an lcd (tv *shudder*) at 30 fps on a shoddy wireless connection with a regular server (let alone p2p).

I like to compare it to giving a kid his first leather ball.
He may have been happy playing outside with his plastic ball, he could kick it too, it would bounce too.
But it would kinda have it's own mind and fly off in the wind.
Once he's used to being and feeling in control he's never going to appreciate the plastic ball anymore for anything other than what it really is. A poor man's placebo.

felipepl said:
A bit too harsh here.

When well calibrated and with lower response times, LCDs are pretty good for gaming.
This is why I hate LCD advertising.
Response time is not input lag.
Response time is the time it takes for a pixel to go from off black state to color/white state and back.

There is still image processing and buffering happening behind the scenes, which constitutes the delay aka input lag.

LCD manufacturers know their panels suffer from large amounts of input lag, so they quote the response time instead (which matters too, high response time means pixels stay lit when they should be out and the image will be blurry, but only upto a certain point where they can properly match the refresh rate).

LCD marketing and LCD tvs/monitors are like the biggest scam/misinformation business ever, it's disgusting.

Go google
-dynamic contrast
-motion resolution

-ghosting
-clouding
-input lag in LCD tvs /input lag in samsung lcd tvs or panels
-response time
-led backlit/edge lit vs oled
-native resolution
-24p and interpolating
-interlacing
-interpolating

If you want to know more.

angular graphics said:
Nvidia has added an option to limit the framerate to a, as of yet unreleased, driver: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=201570&view=findpost&p=1289441

That's fantastic news for all nvidia owners, soon there will be no need to tinker with 3rd party apps!

Hopefully this "future driver" is going to be the one that's going to be released later this month!! :)

FUCKING AWESOME!!!!

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE MAN!

I've been using DXTORY in the meantime. Excellent little app.

Top Bottom