• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC-Age: Can't keep that framerate up? Don't lower your settings, cap your framerate!

Blizzard

Banned
tmaynard said:
I would like to try this out on Left 4 Dead but it seems that it doesn't work with it.

This is EXACTLY what I came here to ask about. It makes me sad that it isn't an option for that game, as far as I know?

Also, is there a way to cap fps in TF2/Portal? It always tells me (even for Portal) that you can't set the max fps while "connected". I think I got that error even at the main menu. o_O

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just to bring this back to the top, has anyone managed to get " first_time_set = 0.035" for Crysis to work? The console does not recognize this command nor can I execute it using an autoexec or system file. I wanted to play the game again, but it won't allow me to limit the framerate.

Any ideas? I'm using the DX10 version, by the way, if that makes a difference.

This has always been one of the key annoyances with PC games. It really should just be an option. framerates jumping around is 10x more distracting and annoying than any screen tearing, IMO.

dark10x

Another question...

I only just tried out the FPS limiter program and it is indeed a great idea. However, there is constant (very minor) hitching that occurs when I use it. Basically, if you rotate the camera slowly around your character (using an analog stick is best) you can see hitching occur in a set interval in all games. Anyone determine a setting which can solve this?

Ywap

Personally if i haven´t the hardware to run a game at desired framerate i put it on hold for later. Gaming at 30 fps is to distracting to be enjoyable for me.

GWX

Ressurecting this, but...

There's any way to lock Batman: AA at 30fps? I tried FPSLimiter, I tried editing the "max smoothed framerate" thing to 30, and none worked.

Also, I can't lock Red Faction Guerrilla at 30fps either, since it's DX10 (not supported by FPSLimiter) and I can't find a config file.

tHoMNZ

Blizzard said:
This is EXACTLY what I came here to ask about. It makes me sad that it isn't an option for that game, as far as I know?

Also, is there a way to cap fps in TF2/Portal? It always tells me (even for Portal) that you can't set the max fps while "connected". I think I got that error even at the main menu. o_O

well you must have been still connected to a game even though you were in the menu. Find the game's config file and add the command there

fps_max xx

Asmodai

Banned
Framerate capping is a godsend for PC gaming. I can't stand a game fluctuating between 80 FPS and 20 FPS, as they often will from going through a sparse environment to one that requires many more system resources.

thewesker said:
What's the command for Crysis/Warhead?

It's in the first post =P

Crysis and Crysis Warhead

Achieve a locked 30fps by either making a System.cfg file and putting the CVAR in there (hit up Crysis Tweakguide to do this) or entering the command via the console (after you entered the command "con_restricted 0" which enables console use)

Command: first_time_set = 0.035

GWX said:

There's any way to lock Batman: AA at 30fps? I tried FPSLimiter, I tried editing the "max smoothed framerate" thing to 30, and none worked.

Also, I can't lock Red Faction Guerrilla at 30fps either, since it's DX10 (not supported by FPSLimiter) and I can't find a config file.

According to Eurogamer, you can't lock the framerate in Red Faction G =/

GWX

AgentOtaku said:
According to Eurogamer, you can't lock the framerate in Red Faction G =/

:/

Still, any workaround for Batman yet? For some reason, Batman doesn't work with FPSLimiter. It should, right? Maybe because only the BMStartApp.exe can be opened (the original executable of the game - ShippingPC-BMGame.exe - says that the game needs to be started with BMStartApp.exe)...

Yoboman

Does that FPS limiter program work on Windows 7? It doesn't seem to want to launch

I'd love to limit my framerate on FO3, cause it has a weird stutter going from 45 - 60 FPS when I'm running it in 1080p

Yoboman said:
Does that FPS limiter program work on Windows 7? It doesn't seem to want to launch

I'd love to limit my framerate on FO3, cause it has a weird stutter going from 45 - 60 FPS when I'm running it in 1080p

Don't think it does =/

Lince

Banned
don't know about Windows 7, it certainly doesn't work with dx10 games or with some Nvidia / Ati drivers, why can't this be a driver option?

and I can't find a similar or updated application to cap the framerate, seems like nobody cares and this fps limiter thing from two years ago is all we've got.

Chrono

Banned
I asked about this on some PC forum and some were saying locking it down is like locking your car speed to a lower one and taking longer to get to your destination, they'll take the ups when they can... -_-;

GWX said:

Basically all UE3 games support a framecap.

In Batman add:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=30.000000
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30.000000

To UserEngine.ini, which is found in My Doucments/Eidos....................

brain_stew said:

In Batman add:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE

Awesome man! ...thanks!

GWX

brain_stew said:

In Batman add:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE

Thanks, I will try.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AgentOtaku said:
Yep!

Bless Capcom, Square, Terminal Reality (Ghostbusters) for giving us the option of capping.
Someone tell me. How did a Japanese company become one of the best PC developers this generation? Their PC games are actually optimized.

SapientWolf said:
Someone tell me. How did a Japanese company become one of the best PC developers this generation? Their PC games are actually optimized.

Well Capcom's MT Framework engine is a PC engine first, then moved to consoles. So I'm sure it's relatively inexpensive for them to throw up a commercial PC sku for their current gen titles. Though SFIV isn't MT.

Also threw up engine cap command in OP for Batman

AgentOtaku said:
Well Capcom's MT Framework engine is a PC engine first, then moved to consoles. So I'm sure it's relatively inexpensive for them to throw up a commercial PC sku for their current gen titles. Though SFIV isn't MT.

Also threw up engine cap command in OP for Batman

You can use that command in the vast majority of UE3 games as well, its just a case of finding the correct config file and adding or altering (if they're already there) those few lines. Worth making a note of that in the op. I know for sure it works with Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect and UT3 as well as Batman.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is anybody still using this? brain_stew linked it to me in the I Nedd I new PC thread.
Basically, I can't get the java app to work under Windows 7 64 bit.
Does Dead rising 2 have a frame cap setting in-game like Resi5 does?
What about SFIV?

I wish someone updated this app to work with DX10 and DX11 too, but it seems it's a worse argument to throw around than saying to a PC-only gamer how you actually like to play FPS' sp campaign with a gamepad :/

dark10x

I've run across two newer programs which handle this function much better than ol' FPS Limiter. Bandicam and Dxtory are what I'm speaking of and both are actually designed to record video. However, they also include the ability to limit the framerate and they work with all APIs including DX10/11.

Just like FPS Limiter, however, I have an issue with skipping in both programs. This isn't an issue for all games, but those with the problem exhibit extra stuttering that appears like framerate dips only the framerate counter continues to read 30. I could be spinning in place, for instance, and every 2 seconds there is 1 second of stuttering.

Has anyone managed to tackle this problem?

Input lag.

/thread.

Or longer version: capping framerate to prevent/reduce tearing? Sure.
Capping framerate at 30 fps? LOL

Just lower settings and cap it at your monitor's refresh rate and enjoy responsive controls.

If I want 30 fps I'll go play on my ps3.
If I want higher settings than what my comp can comfortably render without choking on bigger scenes, I'll upgrade my gpu.

dark10x

SneakyStephan said:
Input lag.

/thread.

Or longer version: capping framerate to prevent/reduce tearing? Sure.
Capping framerate at 30 fps? LOL

Just lower settings and cap it at your monitor's refresh rate and enjoy responsive controls.

If I want 30 fps I'll go play on my ps3.
If I want higher settings than what my comp can comfortably render without choking on bigger scenes, I'll upgrade my gpu.
This just isn't always possible.

There are, in fact, games out there that even the fastest GPU will fail to render at a perfect 60 fps.

By limiting to 30 fps, you can crank all settings up to their maximum settings AND use gobs of anti-aliasing without any penalty. It's fantastic.

Also, to say "just buy a new GPU" is ridiculous. Of course, many people don't really seem to care about consistent framerates and that's why people actually fall for that multi-GPU scam.

Of course, I'm talking about single player games here. For multiplayer, I'd lower settings to hold 60 fps, but for something like The Witcher 2, limiting to 30 fps allows you to enjoy the graphics at their highest detail settings while achieving consistent performance.

dark10x said:
This just isn't always possible.

There are, in fact, games out there that even the fastest GPU will fail to render at a perfect 60 fps.

By limiting to 30 fps, you can crank all settings up to their maximum settings AND use gobs of anti-aliasing without any penalty. It's fantastic.

Also, to say "just buy a new GPU" is ridiculous. Of course, many people don't really seem to care about consistent framerates and that's why people actually fall for that multi-GPU scam.

Of course, I'm talking about single player games here. For multiplayer, I'd lower settings to hold 60 fps, but for something like The Witcher 2, limiting to 30 fps allows you to enjoy the graphics at their highest detail settings while achieving consistent performance.

Hey I'm not arguing against that, but the OP specifically suggests capping at 30 instead of lowering settings to keep your framerate from dipping too often and too low.
Which is bonkers.

Many engines/games have several frames of input lag, capping your framerate at anything lower than what your monitor can display is just ridiculous in such cases.

For turn based/strategy/rpg games it really doesn't matter , but I'm obviously not talking about those :p

The blanket 'fix' for wanting to have your cake and eat it too (while turning your sweet gameplay dough into latency pubes as you fix it) is silly.

If like me you've just come across this thread for the first time...

... Crysis/Warhead's cvar is fixed_time_step, not the one posted various times before.

Edit: Also, 100 times this. I'm running Crysis 2 all maxed out in what's possible with DX9 at 30fps. If I had a DX11 card I'd do the same. I also activated all the eye candy in JC2 andcapped the game at 30fps. I'm running Crysis 1 and The Witcher 2 at 30 too.

Mr_Brit

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
Hey I'm not arguing against that, but the OP specifically suggests capping at 30 instead of lowering settings to keep your framerate from dipping too often and too low.
Which is bonkers.
That's your opinion. I'd much rather play Crysis at 30FPS locked at high settings than play it at 45-60FPS at medium settings.

dark10x

SneakyStephan said:
Which is bonkers.
That's just what I was suggesting. For single player games, capping at 30 fps and raising settings isn't a bad way to go. To hit 60 fps The Witcher 2, for instance, you'd lose a LOT of details and it really isn't necessary for that game. It's better to cap at 30 fps and raise details.

If you're not 30 fps, you should be 60 fps. Anything else in between is crap and above 60 fps is pretty useless unless you are doing 3D.

dark10x said:
If you're not 30 fps, you should be 60 fps. Anything else in between is crap and above 60 fps is pretty useless unless you are doing 3D.

Where are you getting that idea from.
If a game suffers from 3 frames of input lag, then at 30 fps you'll have 100 ms input lag, at 60 half that, and at 45fps 66ms input lag.

What you are noticing is your input lag going from fairly negligable to closer to the terrible side of the scale when the framerate dips, so you'd rather play at the terrible side 100 percent of the time?

This, again, is why you lower settings a bit so the framerate doesn't drop as low.

Then again, with LCD monitors' input lag on top of it it's already ruined, and most games these days are designed around having terrible control responsitivity, so I guess the bar has faded to the point where people don't know/care anymore.

OP still suggests it's an ideal solution for everyone in every game, (while it's arguable the exact opposite) with no real downside (which it definitely has).
Even if you don't care about 'silly' things like being in control of the game and it feeling responsive, you have to agree that it's a deceiving batch of info in the OP.

Aeana

I used Dxtory with Witcher 2 and it really improved my experience. I usually notice skipping with other programs but I don't seem to get any with Dxtory.

To SneakyStephan: a stable framerate is important to me above all else. Jumpy framerates make me ill. Framerate limiters actually make it possible for me to play some games I normally wouldn't.

Aeana said:
I used Dxtory with Witcher 2 and it really improved my experience. I usually notice skipping with other programs but I don't seem to get any with Dxtory.

To SneakyStephan: a stable framerate is important to me above all else. Jumpy framerates make me ill. Framerate limiters actually make it possible for me to play some games I normally wouldn't.

Yes and that is why people traditionally lower settings so they can cap it at a (very close to) stable 60-70-85 or 100.
That way you can still enjoy great smooth 1:1 feel for your controls.

The thought of people starting to actively call out to devs for capping the framerate in games (because this is where things will go with this mindset) makes me cringe.

dark10x

SneakyStephan said:
Where are you getting that idea from.
If a game suffers from 3 frames of input lag, then at 30 fps you'll have 100 ms input lag, at 60 half that, and at 45fps 66ms input lag.

What you are noticing is your input lag going from fairly negligable to closer to the terrible side of the scale when the framerate dips, so you'd rather play at the terrible side 100 percent of the time?

This, again, is why you lower settings a bit so the framerate doesn't drop as low.

Then again, with LCD monitors' input lag on top of it it's already ruined, and most games these days are designed around having terrible control responsitivity, so I guess the bar has faded to the point where people don't know/care anymore.

OP still suggests it's an ideal solution for everyone in every game, (while it's arguable the exact opposite) with no real downside (which it definitely has).
Even if you don't care about 'silly' things like being in control of the game and it feeling responsive, you have to agree that it's a deceiving batch of info in the OP.
Input lag doesn't bother me in single player games. 30 fps doesn't introduce enough lag to ruin anything.

What's MUCH more important to me is visual consistency. Due to the way displays work, drawing framerates between 30 and 60 fps produce juddering artifacts that I find very distracting. A proper 60 fps or 30 fps should be a smooth, continuous image that updates very evenly. The whole point is to sync up with what the monitors are displaying. For a 60 Hz screen, 45 fps is going to suffer from judder.

If your display is only 60 Hz, there is no reason to ever go ABOVE 60 Hz. If you are using a CRT, you should match the selected refresh rate. A 60 Hz display simply won't smoothly display 45 fps (or anything else in that range). There will always be judder regardless of whether or not you use triple buffering.

It seems you prioritize input response over visual consistency. 30 fps may introduce more lag than 45 fps, but it looks unpleasant to the eye in comparison. That's the issue. If you aren't seeing this issue then perhaps it is you that needs to look into this more. A properly sync'd framerate is the single most important performance element to me.

I use a Pioneer Kuro as my PC gaming display, for the record, not a poor LCD monitor (though I have one attached on the first floor for other tasks).

Yes and that is why people traditionally lower settings so they can cap it at a (very close to) stable 60-70-85 or 100.
Don't tell me you disable v-sync as well. The only way you'd get framerates that high is if you are using a CRT or a monitor that actually accepts 120 Hz (and then, some of those numbers would look very poor in motion).

Higher numbers do not always provide superior visuals. Again, this is why SLI setups are bullshit. The micro stuttering and visual consistency issues they introduce are simply unusable to me. Completely ruins the image.

Ploid 3.0

dark10x said:
I've run across two newer programs which handle this function much better than ol' FPS Limiter. Bandicam and Dxtory are what I'm speaking of and both are actually designed to record video. However, they also include the ability to limit the framerate and they work with all APIs including DX10/11.

Just like FPS Limiter, however, I have an issue with skipping in both programs. This isn't an issue for all games, but those with the problem exhibit extra stuttering that appears like framerate dips only the framerate counter continues to read 30. I could be spinning in place, for instance, and every 2 seconds there is 1 second of stuttering.

Has anyone managed to tackle this problem?

Cool thanks for this, I just looked up that fps limiter link and it was down, then wondered if other programs were out by now. First game I'm going to put this bugger on is Saints Row 2. Then Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

I'd take 30fps locked solid any day. I'm not a competitive gamer so input precision don't effect me.

scitek

Some games, like NFS: Hot Pursuit, won't ever hit a stable 60fps regardless of what I do. I can lower the resolution to 720p and the shit's still jerky as fuck around 55fps. Soooo, I just cap it at 30fps and play with 4xSSAA instead. Looks awesome and the input lag isn't really any worse than without the cap considering it's sluggish in that game to begin with.

Other games I'll sway back and forth with. Like Crysis 2. With max settings on DX11 I can play at a stable 30, or I can turn everything to Extreme and play with a constant 60. Of course, if I could have 60fps with DX11, I'd definitely prefer that, but as long as I'm able to lock a game to a constant 30, I'm good with that too.

EDIT: And DXtory is the shit. I fucking love that program and use it all the time. Especially with Crysis and Warhead.

dark10x said:
Don't tell me you disable v-sync as well. The only way you'd get framerates that high is if you are using a CRT or a monitor that actually accepts 120 Hz (and then, some of those numbers would look very poor in motion).

Higher numbers do not always provide superior visuals. Again, this is why SLI setups are bullshit. The micro stuttering and visual consistency issues they introduce are simply unusable to me. Completely ruins the image.

CRT all the way ;)
1600x1200@85hz , 1280x1024@60 hz in demanding games, as a crt has the extra bonus of not suffering from that use native res or ELSE (shitty fuzzy IQ) bullshit.
My monitor doesn't tear and judder at varying framerates unless I go over the maximum refresh rate. (and I'm pretty sensitive to both, they bother the SHIT out of me on my LCD tv)

I fully agree on SLI set ups and microstutter.

Sounds to me like you need to get rid of that LCD screen and get yourself a good 21 inch crt if you value visual consistency that much (I do too).
The 0 ms additional input lag vs 20-50 with LCD and god tier contrast and colors are just a bonus.

Aeana

SneakyStephan said:
That way you can still enjoy great smooth 1:1 feel for your controls.

The thought of people starting to actively call out to devs for capping the framerate in games (because this is where things will go with this mindset) makes me cringe.
I was CPU limited with Witcher 2. I couldn't get a solid 60 no matter what settings I chose.

dark10x

SneakyStephan said:
CRT all the way ;)
1600x1200@85hz , 1280x1024@60 hz in demanding games, as a crt has the extra bonus of not suffering from that use native res or ELSE (shitty fuzzy IQ) bullshit.
My monitor doesn't tear and judder at varying framerates unless I go over the maximum refresh rate. (and I'm pretty sensitive to both, they bother the SHIT out of me on my LCD tv)

I fully agree on SLI set ups and microstutter.
I love CRTs, but it just doesn't cut it for me on the PC. The Kuro looks much better overall with a better ANSI contrast ratio and motion handling nearly on par with a CRT. Plus, I could never find a 16:9 CRT and 4:3 feels too constrictive these days.

At least we agree that LCDs suck for gaming.

dark10x

So has anyone experienced the "micro stuttering" like artifacts that limiting to 30 fps occasionally produces? Some games suffer from this, while others are totally consistent. All report 30 fps. It seems like a sync issue but it's really irritating.

Top Bottom