• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

to this day I still have no idea what this is supposed to be an image of. Whatever it is, it makes me realize that I never minded that the PC-FX didn't lead the way for the next path of gaming.

Does my heart proud to see some PCE games on the JPN eShop. Hopefully they'll release some of those titles over here.. hopefully China Warrior won't be among them!
Isn't that a 3d re-imagining of the second to last boss from Gate of Thunder? At least I think it looks kinda like it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I just got myself an Avenue 6 pad. Are there any games that this is compatible with other than Street Fighter II?

I already found out it doesn't really work with Fighting Street.

Celine

I just got myself an Avenue 6 pad. Are there any games that this is compatible with other than Street Fighter II?

I already found out it doesn't really work with Fighting Street.
Kabuki Ittoryan and the other arcade card fighting games .

Also Forgotten Worlds used a 3 button pad, not sure if it works with avenue 6 button pad.

Bar81

Kabuki Ittoryan and the other arcade card fighting games .

Also Forgotten Worlds used a 3 button pad, not sure if it works with avenue 6 button pad.

My understanding is that it doesn't work properly with the 6 button.

The 3-button controller and the 6-button controller are entirely different things, and unfortunately the 6-button controller does not have a 3-button mode.

Specifically, the 3-button controller's III button is a programmable button which can act like either the Run or Select buttons. So, it's useful for any game that puts an important gameplay function on Run or Select, which some games did. It has a switch on it to switch between Run or Select. It's most useful for Frgotten Worlds and Barunba (HuCard shmup which also has rotating fire), but there are other games that benefit from 3-button controllers as well.

The 6-button controller, though, is a proper 6-button controller, with a 2-button mode for compatibility, and 6-button mode for games that support it. Unfortunately the PCE doesn't have anywhere near as many 6-button pad compatible games as the Genesis/Sega CD/32X do, though. While the Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X have between them several dozen games that have 6-button support, the support list for the PCE 6-button pad is much shorter: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=764 It's some fighting games -- Strip Fighter II and Street Fighter II for HuCard, Advanced V.G. and Martial Champion for Super CD, and all eight fighting and wrestling games for Arcade CD -- plus some RPGs and mahjong games that support the 6-button controller for menu shortcuts and the like, and that's it.

ZealousD

While the Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X have between them several dozen games that have 6-button support, the support list for the PCE 6-button pad is much shorter: http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=764.msg4586#msg4586 It's some fighting games -- Strip Fighter II and Street Fighter II for HuCard, Advanced V.G. and Martial Champion for Super CD, and all eight fighting and wrestling games for Arcade CD -- plus some RPGs and mahjong games that support the 6-button controller for menu shortcuts and the like, and that's it.

FYI, the URL for the PC Engine FX forums is behind an account approval wall.

Thanks for the info, though.

FYI, the URL for the PC Engine FX forums is behind an account approval wall.

Thanks for the info, though.

If you really want the list of mahjong and RPG games that support it without having to make an account, then, here they are: Algunos, Ys IV, Linda3, Mahjong Sword Princess Quest Gaiden, Super Real Mahjong P II + III Custom, Super Real Mahjong PV Custom, and Princess Maker 2. Oh, and a few of the homebrew Turbo CD games support it for menu shortcuts as well, I believe. That's it. Pretty thin list compared to the Genesis 6-button controller's support list, sadly.

Finally did it and dropped the $300. Just got mine shipped from doujindance. Going to be in this thread a lot :D

These are the games I picked up for 100yen each last time I was in Japan. Going back out in February. Going to go in hard...

Ordered a new copy of Blazing Lazers, Bloody Wolf, Lords of Thunder.

IrishNinja

congrats CoachKevin! heads up though: my unit (also from dojuin) came with a bad resistor, and while he did a lot to work with me (provided tools & replacement bit) i'm still looking for a local with minimal soldering skills to help set it up right, and ive had it for months now. RGB looks beautiful, and fortunately most of my games are hucards (region free works awesome!) but my CD drive is currently useless, and he's resistant to the idea of sending it back for a replacement. Hopefully your unit works out better!

ZealousD

Just beat Lords of Thunder on Normal. That wasn't so hard, actually. How bad is Hard mode?

Teknoman

Just beat Lords of Thunder on Normal. That wasn't so hard, actually. How bad is Hard mode?

Grats! Probably not that bad... I havent tried it yet, but it seems to be about just maintaining enough money to buy shields and bombs every stage. Awesome on them for letting the goddess or whoever recharge you before the final battle.

ZealousD

Grats! Probably not that bad... I havent tried it yet, but it seems to be about just maintaining enough money to buy shields and bombs every stage. Awesome on them for letting the goddess or whoever recharge you before the final battle.

I'm still terrible at knowing when to use bombs, in any shooter.

Are the shields really that good? I kinda got by on Normal just buying continues and health packs. Then I bought an Elixir for the final boss, and that was kinda it.

AmyS

Back in the day this is what got me so very interested in the Tengai Makyo / Far East of Eden series: "over 20,000 screens of overhead maps"

wat ??

C1TSgDk.jpg

However (and correct me if I am mistaken) the actual subtitle is not Zira, but Tengai Makyo II: Manjimaru.

It's seems I was not the only one who's attention was caught by that 20,000+ screens claim:

http://iwasateenagepcenginefan.wordpress.com/2010/06/26/20000-screens-of-overhead-maps-eh/

20,000 screens of overhead maps, eh?

A few weeks ago, I posted the article–pulled from an old issue of Super Gaming magazine–that served as my introduction to Tengai Makyo II: Manjimaru. Today I’m posting the article–pulled from an old issue of Turbo Play magazine–that solidified my obsession with the titular Manjimaru and his magnanimous team.

I’m pretty sure the following sentence was the one that grabbed me by the short and curlies, so to speak: “In the course of the game, you will cover over 20,000 screens of overhead maps, fight 300 types of enemies and 48 boss characters, enjoy more than 90 minutes of incredible animation, listen to three hours of speech [and] hear 24 CD music tracks and over 80 different PSG (machine generated) music tracks.”

Teknoman

I want to play Psychic Storm now.

EDIT: Sucks that the 360 Far east of Eden english release was canceled. Always wanted to play a game from that series.

Celine

BTW are the english dubs good in the Ys IV translation patch?

TM Zero translation patch seems on its way to be released this year.
The game is already translated, we're just waiting on byuu (BSNES author) to hack the game now (the big problem here is that the cartridge used some complex chips to emulate correctly...).

My PC Engine Duo r from doujindance just arrived from Japan!

Time to play some Bomberman 93, Lords of Thunder, and Blazing Lazers!!!

mfw hearing the dub:

HUoTikT.gif

Still much better than reading a .txt file while playing in order to understand what's going on though.

I kinda like the bub, it's not good really, but it definitely feels like it comes from the early 1990s multimedia bad dub era, so it works for me. And it's still LOADS better than the Ys III, Valis, or pretty much any Turbo CD dub that wasn't Ys I and II.

jdkluv

I kinda like the bub, it's not good really, but it definitely feels like it comes from the early 1990s multimedia bad dub era, so it works for me. And it's still LOADS better than the Ys III, Valis, or pretty much any Turbo CD dub that wasn't Ys I and II.

Man, the dub for Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes on the TG-16 CD was hillarious. Love the game and the soundtrack, but dat voice-acting. So bad it actually makes the game like two times more awesome, lol.

ZealousD

GET!

CprR9jh.jpg

I rather like this version of the game. The voice samples are great and the gameplay is fully intact.

Only drawback is that the music feels more flat than the other versions, and the interface is a little weird, but otherwise this is really nice. Once I get a comparable SNES version on my own I think I might have a better perspective though.

ZealousD

Have you any experience with Hori's Fighting Commander PC? How does it compare to the Avenue 6?

Sorry I don't. Never used any of the Hori FC pads.

The Avenue 6 basically just feels like a normal PC Engine controller, but with 6 buttons. There is a subtle difference between the d-pad on the A6 and a normal PC Engine controller, but it's hard for me to describe. But the feel is pretty similar, and the d-pads are the same size.

Teknoman

BTW are the english dubs good in the Ys IV translation patch?

TM Zero translation patch seems on its way to be released this year.
The game is already translated, we're just waiting on byuu (BSNES author) to hack the game now (the big problem here is that the cartridge used some complex chips to emulate correctly...).

Ah cool. Well closer is better than nothing. Does that mean that repro carts would be out of the question though?

Celine

Nice Duo R Kevin!
Ah cool. Well closer is better than nothing. Does that mean that repro carts would be out of the question though?
It can be done I suppose but you need the real time clock chip and the SPC7110 chip to run the game.

TM Zero in fact use a timer for events (think animal crossing) and is probably one of the biggest SNES game ever released (40Mbit compressed, 72Mbit uncompressed).

Shining

Is the Hori Fighting Commander PC better than the Avenue Pad 6?

Haven't tried the Avenue pad, but i'm in complete love with the Hori FC. Almost feels like a SNES controller and the overall build is rock solid. The D-pad is so much better than stock PC Engine pads.

boss why are you sad about this thread
Maybe his partner broke up with him during a time in his life when he was playing a lot of PC Engine and this thread reminds him of that time. Maybe he never could afford one. Or maybe he hated the commercials so much that he just can't stand people talking about the system. Or maybe i'm just over analyzing.

I always wanted to own a turbo grafx 16. But I feel like the majority of the best games are on the Wii virtual console. Is there any huge benefit to owning the actual system? I have no nostalgia for it specifically, I just want to play the systems best games.

I always wanted to own a turbo grafx 16. But I feel like the majority of the best games are on the Wii virtual console. Is there any huge benefit to owning the actual system? I have no nostalgia for it specifically, I just want to play the systems best games.

Yeah most of the critically acclaimed games are on VC. VC is actually a great option to experience TG16 games.

espher

Saw a TG-16 (w/ TurboBooster and a few games, including Neutopia II and Splatterhouse) and impulse-bought it over the weekend. First one I've seen in this city in damn near a decade.

Time to read this thread. ;)

ZealousD

Yeah most of the critically acclaimed games are on VC. VC is actually a great option to experience TG16 games.

Jackie Chan and the Legendary Axe games aren't on there.

Saw a TG-16 (w/ TurboBooster and a few games, including Neutopia II and Splatterhouse) and impulse-bought it over the weekend. First one I've seen in this city in damn near a decade.

Time to read this thread. ;)

Wow, with the TurboBooster? How much did you pay for it?

dock

I have a Japanese PC Engine (with an RGB mod), which means I'm limited to JP Hu-cards only. I only have a small selection, but I really love it, and it's been a while since I bought any games.

Any recommendations of JP hu-cards that are light on Japanese that I ought to play?

Celine

A good chunk of japan only Hucard/CD games aren't available on western VC.

PCE is like the Saturn where some good stuff remained confined in Japan.

Any recommendations of JP hu-cards that are light on Japanese that I ought to play?
Legendary Axe (JP name is different), Momotaro Katsugeki, Bomberman 93/94, Bonk (JP name is different) games, New Adventure Island, Soldier Blade, Aero Blaster, Air Zonk, Download, Devil Crush and more...

espher

Wow, with the TurboBooster? How much did you pay for it?

Bundled with five games (that are probably worth ~$5 each at best), it was CAD$105.

Was in a local pawn shop that I've been dealing with for years. I didn't even know it had the TurboBooster in it and I was really hestiant to pay what I paid for it because it felt like an overpayment at the time, but now I think I got a solid deal on it (especially compared to online + the shipping fees I'd have paid). I think it's just the vanilla one, though, and not the plus (I haven't had a chance to hook it all up yet and double-check).

Top Bottom