• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

IrishNinja

Anyone got any spares of the replacement plastic sleeves?

I'm after a few for Sega games, and they're available on ebay and here, but postage to Australia is ridiculous on both, like $20 for what ill fit in a letter.

yeah, i bought a bunch years ago, gave my extras to Mzo & Bishopcruz though...sorry man!
im down to ship stuff for retroGAF, just dont know that it'd be any cheaper for you here

piggychan

Thought I would share this here. There's been talk about this device before, but GameTechUS got one to give his feedback on and he does so here in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4baUgr0Ym0

It can get you 720p through a DVI port out of a PC Engine or TurboGrafx16, though they want to charge 40,000 freaking yen for it!

the lack of cd rom support is hurting somewhat.. also at that price might be cheaper to go with a frame meister.

tumblr_o1v847VUCG1uxe2vgo1_540.jpg

nfg-retroge said:

AmyS

EGM #18 Jan. 1991 - Interface: Letters To The Editor [SFC - MD - Turbo/PCE]

Edit: some of the answers to these letters are pretty damn interesting, read them all.

Edit 2:

u3aLwm0.jpg

Anyone here just happen to have a copy of this magazine?

Sent my dead U.S. Duo off yesterday to Keith Courage to get recapped and modded, going to have RGB, s-video, and a Hucard region switch. I can't wait to finally be able to play my PCE/TG-16 library again not to mention these babies which are waiting for me (opened Twinbee which is still mint, rest are still sealed):

piggychan

Sent my dead U.S. Duo off yesterday to Keith Courage to get recapped and modded, going to have RGB, s-video, and a Hucard region switch. I can't wait to finally be able to play my PCE/TG-16 library again not to mention these babies which are waiting for me (opened Twinbee which is still mint, rest are still sealed):

ooo I love the pc engine version of parodius. I did some gifs to show some differences between it and the SNES and arcade versions...

piggychan

Sweet, would love to see those comparison gifs!

I did a lot if I post them all I might get banned! :D

RE: PARODIUS DA!

Seriously the pc engine version lacks a few levels and the levels that are present some of them the layered scrolling and colors took a knock and have missing scrolling fields. While the music although I really love the Konami pc engine synth sound it doesn't quite have that punch of the arcade but, the pc engine has in some cases is most of the animation frames are intact especially of the bosses while the Super Famicom while it feels more complete and has more polish it has missing animations on some of those bosses.

Arcade
DkrMy6.gif

PC engine
BBpKDY.gif

SNES
pYKrg2.gif

pc engine
9rBR93.gif

SNES
G6xyv0.gif

SNES
J6AGlv.gif

arcade
9rBRXz.gif

pc engine
rk5yBW.gif

pc engine
W6vk8X.gif

SNES
zp5Vn7.gif

AmyS

Nice.

I have to get this version of Parodius Da!

piggychan

Nice.

I have to get this version of Parodius Da!

From the looks of things it looks like some of the assets used in the X68k version have been taken from the super famicom version. But I would say it probably has the best sound of them all :D

Seriously the pc engine version lacks a few levels and the levels that are present some of them the layered scrolling and colors took a knock and have missing scrolling fields. While the music although I really love the Konami pc engine synth sound it doesn't quite have that punch of the arcade but, the pc engine has in some cases is most of the animation frames are intact especially of the bosses while the Super Famicom while it feels more complete and has more polish it has missing animations on some of those bosses.

Arcade
DkMy6.gif

PC engine
BBpKD.gif

SNES
pYKrg2gif

pc engine
9rBR93gif

SNES
G6xyv0.gif

SNES
J6AGlv.gif

arcade
9rBRXzgif

pc engine
rk5yBWgif

pc engine
W6vk8Xgif

SNES
zp5Vn7gif

Excellent gifs and nice breakdown, thanks!

piggychan

I was watching a different gameplay link for a later stage where the boss fight was the telling scene ...

Arcade (1990)
parodiusarcade.jpg

pc engine (1992)
PAROPCE1.jpg

super famicom (1992)
parodiussnes.jpg

X68000 (year of release ?)
parodiusx68k.jpg

sadly I could only grab the x68k version from a slight blurry youtube vid but that background looks very similar to the super famicom's..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h83e7eBrdaQ

how on earth did konami have the manpower to redraw stuff for almost every port of their games?

Finally take a look at these two stages.

Arcade Vs pc engine's, Am I right in saying that the pc engine version these particular stages there are more layers of scrolling than the arcade parent? Why did Konami do this ?

arcade
kRVPw5.gif

pc e
o29PAK.gif

arcade
gJVPPD.gif

pce
OYoRzE.gif

I know that each home version of Parodius -- NES, GB, TG16, SNES -- has an exclusive level, and they're different in each version. I only have the NES and GB versions, though, and the Saturn port of the arcade game. The SNES version definitely looks best, of the 4th-gen versions, since it has the most levels, but those cut animations are a bit disappointing, I didn't know about that.

As for the NES (FC, whatever) and GB versions, though, I like the Game Boy version more. It's really good, great handheld shmup.

eXistor

These just arrived. I'm expecting a couple more in a while. They've both been on my list for a while, but I got a pretty decent deal on these.

zmUMunQ.jpg

My Duo stopped loading data from the disc in the middle of the Ys III ending :( contacted Keith Courage and it's packed up waiting to go visit him again. Hopefully this will be the last trip it'll have to take.

piggychan

Nice, I have those two myself. Everyone with a PC Engine should have Final Soldier. It's regarded the worst of the trilogy but it's very inexpensive compared to the other two and still a great shooter.

Gameplay it's solid but I think it's ace is perhaps the music.

FINAL SOLDIER

Level select:
press Left, Left, I, Right, Right, II, Up, Down, Up, Down at the title screen.

Sound test:
Highlight "Set-Up" option at title screen and press Left, Left, I, Right, Right, II, Up, Down, Up, Down.

Arcade screen format:
Highlight "Normal" mode at the title screen then press: Left two times, I, Right two times, II, Up, Down, Up, Down, Left two times, I, Right two times, II, Up, Down, Up, Down. A sound will confirm correct code entry. Begin game play, then hold Run and press Select to reset the game. The game will restart in the Arcade Screen mode.

eXistor

Nice, I have those two myself. Everyone with a PC Engine should have Final Soldier. It's regarded the worst of the trilogy but it's very inexpensive compared to the other two and still a great shooter.
I finished it yesterday and personally I think it's pretty great. It's nice and easy. SSS is super-hard for me, with its "die once and restart the level" which is kinda bullshit. The music in Final Soldier is goddamn amazing btw.

IrishNinja

Which is pretty amazing, given Altered Beast was a crap port of a crap game.

it served its purpose! and most of ya'll know it didn't matter till sonic got the party really rolling with the mainstream anyway

still amazes me NEC bundled keith courage instead of legendary axe though

piggychan

Wasn't the Genesis cheaper at launch?

Also had two controller slots. :p

extra controller ports no problem!
pc-engine-multitap-2.jpg

as for why the genny was cheaper at launch who knows? it was a true 16-bitter while the pc-e/turbografx is a hybrid of 8-bit cpu so it's not really a true 16 bit console.

turbo/pce CD
v27z6X.gif

Genesis
gJVG4Y.gif

turbo/pce CD
wp8AzR.gif

Genesis
pY6qA6.gif

pc e
yPO0Xz.gif

genesis
pYj6lr.gif

NEC Avenue handled both these arcade ports. Although to be honest not all their work is great. Some imo is kinda sloppy in a bad way..

MikeMyers

as for why the genny was cheaper at launch who knows? it was a true 16-bitter while the pc-e/turbografx is a hybrid of 8-bit cpu so it's not really a true 16 bit console.

Heh.

In many ways, it can be argued Sega ended up releasing the true successor to the PC-Engine.

NEC lost the early 16-bit battle to Sega in NA just because of that game :p

Just think, we could have gotten R-TYPE as the pack in game like Europe if it weren't for the idiot NEC American exec who thought it would be cute to let her daughter choose the games for the initial U.S. lineup.

AmyS

Wasn't the Genesis cheaper at launch?

Also had two controller slots. :p

Yep, ten dollars cheaper. Genesis was $189.99 at launch, at least when it rolled out nationwide in September '89 in the U.S. The TurboGrafx-16 was $199.99 .

Just think, we could have gotten R-TYPE as the pack in game like Europe if it weren't for the idiot NEC American exec who thought it would be cute to let her daughter choose the games for the initial U.S. lineup.

I don't think NEC would've allowed R-Type to be a pack-in for TurboGrafx-16 here, it retailed for $69.99, all the way through 1990, maybe into '91.
I can't prove that, but then, Phantasy Star II on Genesis retailed for $79.99 in early 1990.

Visual proof of that @ Toys "R" Us, 1990:

fJJfwbn.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_96wWKzkp4s

I wish that guy had panned his camcorder over a bit more to the right, maybe we'd see all the TG-16 games, not just 1 or 2.

...and we complain about the $10 HD game "tax" that was implemented when 360/PS3 came out a decade ago.

Got word from Keith Courage that he's done modding and testing and my Duo is being shipped back tomorrow. I bought that Duo on clearance from Waldensoftare for only $99 back in 1994 and am thrilled I get to play my TG-16/PCE library again on the same system and in beautiful s-video (and once I get it) RGB. First thing I'm going to do is play a few rounds of Parodius then I'm going to start a new file on Dynastic Hero.

I don't think NEC would've allowed R-Type to be a pack-in for TurboGrafx-16 here, it retailed for $69.99, all the way through 1990, maybe into '91.

How much did the R-TYPE bundle cost in the UK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_96wWKzkp4s

I wish that guy had panned his camcorder over a bit more to the right, maybe we'd see all the TG-16 games, not just 1 or 2.

...and we complain about the $10 HD game "tax" that was implemented when 360/PS3 came out a decade ago.

Cool video, what a slice of time. And yeah bummer the guy didn't pan over to the Turbo games. Only store in my area that sold TG-16 games was Waldensoftware.

Top Bottom