• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

piggychan

so i made these back in 2011 and i have no clue what to do with them and instead of letting them die in my dropbox i thought.. why not upload them here

You just reminded me of something I did a few years back while at uni.

I did a mold of the japanese pc engine controller and then out of those made these with plaster of paris. I just pulled these out of storage as they been in hiding for a while, since I'm all butter fingers. They are part of a bigger picture but the other parts need to be remade and then hopefully get off my ass and have them on gallery display.
_DSC0005.jpg

You just reminded me of something I did a few years back while at uni.

I did a mold of the japanese pc engine controller and then out of those made these with plaster of paris. I just pulled these out of storage as they been in hiding for a while, since I'm all butter fingers. They are part of a bigger picture but the other parts need to be remade and then hopefully get off my ass and have them on gallery display.
_DSC0005.jpg

These are super cool. Are you going to paint them like an art project or something?

piggychan

These are super cool. Are you going to paint them like an art project or something?

on one of them I was just gonna pour paint over half of it and let it dry but I think I should just leave it as I suck at coloring. I only have 2 left the first one I did which was submitted began to warp over time and my course director took it away and did some additions to it. She was going to commission me to make one for her but the one that got warped I allowed her to keep for herself.

Cool PCE Controller castings

Your post reminds me of something that I saw elsewhere - and only just recently, not sure where ... and gonna look stupid if someone posted this a few pages back!

Anyway, someone was discussing PCE stuff and posted an image of a Japanese lady rocking a PCE controller as a key chain on her handbag, image below.

This got me thinking of maybe framing a PCE controller or something in one of those Ikea ribba frames (as they are quite deep) maybe.

Think I want an original controller - which is obv the white one, but unlike the one the lady below is rocking (as that has autofires on it).

I suppose I could get a vary large deep picture frame and frame a white PCE core and a controller like the famous advert image, although I own far too many PCE systems (except the white core and controller unfortunately), and I don't want to spend loads on a display piece.

I'm a bit undecided as to whether to go through with it or not, but I keep looking at controller auctions.

zgcC8gi.jpg

TeaJay

I've been thinking about buying a PC Engine Duo. Is there no 2nd player controller port? Is the only solution some kind of multitap?

e: After doing some research, I assume this is kind of a stupid question when it comes to a PC Engine system

piggychan

I've been thinking about buying a PC Engine Duo. Is there no 2nd player controller port? Is the only solution some kind of multitap?

e: After doing some research, I assume this is kind of a stupid question when it comes to a PC Engine system

yup additional multi tap is the way for multi player...

There is a site here that has a list and pictures of controllers and multi taps for the pc engine.

http://www.pc-engine.co.uk/?section=controllers

ReyVGM

Anyone here played Order of the Griffon?

Can anyone explain to me the password menu? When the game gives you a password, it has a lot of weird symbols. But when you try to enter the password, none of those symbols are available (not even the capital letters).

So does anyone know what do I need to do to be able to enter complete passwords?

TeaJay

Any tips on where to buy a plastic shell for the Turbo Everdrive (2.4) ? Europe, if possible.

e: I'm gonna want an extension cord for the controller as well but DAMN all the eBay sellers are offering a modest 25-30€ shipping fee on a 2 dollar cable. Fuck the global shitting program (excuse my language).

TeaJay

I don't know where in europe to get a shell for the TED, but have you checked out monoprice for the extension cable. This is the cable you would need. http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10215&cs_id=1021501&p_id=534&seq=1&format=2 (I'm just suggesting them incase they ship overseas for less)

I have. This is the cheapest shipping option they give me. Compared to this, the eBay options seem like charity.

GV65crc.jpg

I can also choose UPS Worldwide express saver which would cost me $ 105.60. But at least I would get $0.16 off, which makes it a lucrative offer.

This site offers ~$15 postal fees which still seems a bit excessive but it's the best offer I found. That's why I would be really interested to find these in Europe as well so if a fellow collector happens to read this and has one extra to spare, feel free to contact me.

Have you tried searching Amazon with 6ft MDIN8 M/F 1:1 Cable. Doing that in the US gets hits for the same cable. They're like two to three times the price but maybe amazon in your country has them?

They're just old apple mini din 8 pin cables. I wonder if maybe you searched the Micro scene there you might have better luck finding them. Instead of trying to search for PCEngine extension cables.

Teknoman

Was the reasoning behind Bonk's transformations ever given? I mean i get that meat made him more and more primal in the first game, but whats with him turning into Bonkette(?) and then a fire breathing butthead in the third game?

StevieWhite

My arcade card should be shipping today. Why I bought one, I dunno, but now I feel compelled to use it as vigorously as possible. Fatal Fury 2, here we come....

My arcade card should be shipping today. Why I bought one, I dunno, but now I feel compelled to use it as vigorously as possible. Fatal Fury 2, here we come....

The Arcade Card fighting games have really impressive graphics for 4th-gen console games, they're worth it... if you don't mind getting four ports of SNK games you can get arcade-perfect versions of on many newer platforms of course. I think they're worth it anyway! :) And the one exclusive Arcade Card fighting game, the Tengai Makyou one, is solid fun as well.

Beyond the other exclusive games the Arcade Card has other uses as well, including reducing loading times in some titles that support but do not require it such as Brandish, adding some animation and scenes to 3x3 Eyes, etc.

TeaJay

Does anyone have experience on using backups and which kind of media do you use? I've used 700mb TDK CD-R on my Saturn and PS1 without problems, but I recall reading that for the PCE 650mb would be best. That kind of discs are just impossible to come by nowadays.

Also, is there basis on the talks that CD-R can harm the disc reader?

TeaJay

I think the slowest my burner can do is 4x. I've done 8x on Saturn and PS1 and like I said I've had maybe 1-2 failed ones. But I will see how it goes, thanks!

I don't have that particular one so I can't comment on material or how it connects for sure. I have one made by Jelloslug and that one just clicks into place and is held in place by friction. This one looks like it holds in the same way. I would assume any of the plastics or resins would be fine.

Mega

Banned

I have one. It works fine, but yeah, his work is not good quality. I had a local modder open mine up for a minor modification to get the TED working and the inside looks like crap. Doujindance came recommended, even by people on this forum, and I myself looked into him and couldn't really find any major flags, complaints or pictures of awful insides. If I had known, I would've gone another route with obtaining a Duo R.

And after this shit, I made it a habit of requesting clear pics of the inside of mods in order to know what I was getting (UltraHDMI N64, backlit GBP).

bodine1231

Just picked up a white PC Engine complete in box for $110 shipped. Gonna have to clean the console and controller,they are a little yellow,but its cool to finally get one of these! Really wanted to pull the trigger on a RGB modded Duo but there are other systems I need to pick up first.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So since Doujindance is getting a bad rep from people here, what would you suggest if I want a good, working Duo-R with rgb out?

D.Lo

All the images you linked to (except I think the first one which I don't think even is stated as a doujindance job?) are of the same PCE, so it's not multiple examples.

And that seems like decent work to me, I have seen much, much worse. That guy obviously has very high standards, which is fine super clean mod work is great, but essentially he's complaining it is hard to undo? Which may be a concern of some people but not most I'd imagine.

I have doujindance RX, bought in 2012 and has never missed a beat with heavy usage over four years. Nowdays I would do the mod myself as my skills have improved since 2012 and better mod parts are available. But I'm still very happy with that purchase.

I didn't realize most of them are the same console but the first one is definitely another doujondance.

There's more than just messy there. Like my work is messy (but I also don't sell anything) so... whatever but...

Just in the capacitor replacement there's bad solder joints, cheapo capacitors in use, bizzarely leaving long wires on the caps, and not cleaning leaked acid off the board. Use of epoxy or over use of hot glue is a good sign that you're not soldering properly, and your joints will come undone with movement. There's also connecting a ground wire to a chip (instead of just... the ground plane???) when that risks bridging the pins on that chip, and then encasing it permanently in epoxy.

The irreversible thing is a pretty important problem. Mods tend to get better over time as the community discovers new/better ways of implementing things, and there tends to be new mods developed as well, and if your work can't ever be updated it's going to be a problem. And even if that's not a factor if there are any issues in your work it's going to be very hard to ever fix.

D.Lo

I didn't realize most of them are the same console but the first one is definitely another doujondance.
How do you know? It really doesn't look like it to me, there's no epoxy on that one is there? That one does look dodgy but also looks possibly elderly, maybe it was done ten years ago by someone?

The one that is definitely a doujondance mod shows a system already halfway into demodding (some epoxy clearly removed from a chip in the middle overall board shot) but I can't see any bad cap replacements there, in fact I can't see any at all, they all look original. And the ground wire was to ground a leg of the chip as part of the mod, it wasn't using the chip as ground. It really looks decent to me.

Epoxy, glue, reversibleness, sure whatever, but I'd say that's just a different philosophy of modding. Most people who buy a pre-modded system surely never plan to ever mod it again.

That said, hey all I can say is mine looks a lot like those the full board shot one (though I have no region mod which wasn't an option back then - luckily since those region mods were later found to not be compatible with the Turbo Everdrive) and I've never had any issues. The case was also beautifully cleaned and peroxided so it looked new, and the LED replaced with a cool blue one.

Maybe the standards changed over the last four years. The prices certainly did, I just looked at my ebay invoice in my email for mine and it was US194.99.

eXistor

Game always looked like good fun, I'll go try it in a bit.

/edit: Ankoku Densetsu btw, known outside of Japan as Legendary Axe II, but I guess most people here will already know that :)

vjK6syW.jpg

piggychan

Game always looked like good fun, I'll go try it in a bit.

/edit: Ankoku Densetsu btw, known outside of Japan as Legendary Axe II, but I guess most people here will already know that :)

Its Music tracks are what I regard as being that quintessential pc engine sound

StevieWhite

So my arcade card (duo) came in... and strangely, it doesn't work on my RGB modded Dojin Dance Duo R. Works just fine on my unmodded Japanese Duo.

I'm curious as to why this might be - the Dojin Dance Duo (about 3-4 years old at this point) generally works fine. It has issues with Everdrives (which I believe I discussed some months back in this thread) because the Everdrive itself draws on more power than your typical card. Is this the case for arcade cards as well?

On the plus side, I did get to see a lot of those sweet "wrong system card" screens during the testing process. I'll share them a little later.

So my arcade card (duo) came in... and strangely, it doesn't work on my RGB modded Dojin Dance Duo R. Works just fine on my unmodded Japanese Duo.

I'm curious as to why this might be - the Dojin Dance Duo (about 3-4 years old at this point) generally works fine. It has issues with Everdrives (which I believe I discussed some months back in this thread) because the Everdrive itself draws on more power than your typical card. Is this the case for arcade cards as well?

On the plus side, I did get to see a lot of those sweet "wrong system card" screens during the testing process. I'll share them a little later.

My Arcade Card Duo also no longer works on my Duo R ... seemingly after I got it modded. I thought maybe my card had gone bad, but I now suspect that there might be something related to the mod.

That would make sense, since the Arcade Duo card is literally adding more ram to the system. So it's going to draw more power than a typical hucard. There is a solution out there for getting everdrives to work on his stuff, I don't know what it is off hand but maybe that could help getting arcade duo cards to work as well.

StevieWhite

That would make sense, since the Arcade Duo card is literally adding more ram to the system. So it's going to draw more power than a typical hucard. There is a solution out there for getting everdrives to work on his stuff, I don't know what it is off hand but maybe that could help getting arcade duo cards to work as well.

Yep, some rewiring fixes the everdrive issue. If power is the issue, same fix might work.

IrishNinja

this is refreshing to see - when i bought my Duo-R years ago, i had nothing but trouble & heard all this great stuff about dojuindace, but whenever i hit him up for help, he'd just say very little and eventually mail me a tool.

again, thank god for keith courage or my shit would never have read CD's right.

this is refreshing to see - when i bought my Duo-R years ago, i had nothing but trouble & heard all this great stuff about dojuindace, but whenever i hit him up for help, he'd just say very little and eventually mail me a tool.

again, thank god for keith courage or my shit would never have read CD's right.

i bid on a duo r last night but the guy sent an offer but backed out by delisting the item bc he wanted to charge more for shipping. he relists it 10 seconds later, pretty scummy. (hope it's not a GAFer)

i was looking at doujindance too, thanks for the warning!

Wasn't there some talk about a patched system card file that would solve the Everdrive RAM issue?

Yes but that's a different issue entirely. The system cards add ram to the cd+base unit set ups. The Duos have that ram built in. So their bios is the system 3.0. When you run an everdrive that has the added ram on a duo that also has that ram built in, they basically fight over whose ram is going to be used and it can lead to stress on the chips. The patched system cards bios' prevent that from happening. Though the everdrives don't have enough ram on them to act as the arcade duo cards.

You only need the patched bios if you plan on leaving your everdrive at all times in a Duo/Duo-R/RX system. If you have a briefcase setup or the TG16+CD set up, or one of the core systems + super cd2, you don't need the patched bios. It also doesn't affect the region modding issues that cause problems with everdrives.

Mega

Banned
^You have a link to the patched system card bios? I have read about that problem before and wanted to avoid stress on my Duo R.

It's this guide stickied on the Everdrive forums.
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3733.0

A local modder did this for me for a few bucks and it worked out fine.

Mega

Banned
Thanks, grabbed the files and put them in my card.

And reading that thread I never thought to run the TurboGrafx CD bios to manage my saves with an English language menu!

Did they have the bios files up there too? I know the first link was just the patch files (which you need to apply to the bios before using it)

Top Bottom