• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC freezing - no solution in sight :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resilient

Update 1/2/2017 (or 2/1/2017 for the States..)

When I took the RAM out I had a closer look at the DIMM slots. I'm not sure if it's anything or if I'm just being paranoid, but are the 2 pins (in the clouded area) potentially damaged? They look a bit off compared to the rest.

pic15jssy.png

pic2w8sb5.jpg

pic3kpsh2.jpg

pic4wzsgs.jpg

Regardless, RAM has been RMAd, I'm going to buy new sticks tonight. Is Kingston a solid brand? Was going to pick up these: Kingston HyperX FURY HX424C15FBK2/16 16GB Kit (8Gx2) DDR4 2400 Desktop RAM

If the problem pops up again, I'm going to have one last shot with the CPU/RAM voltage. After that, it's time to disassemble, re-apply thermal paste and put it back together.

After that, RMA motherboard?

PaNaMa

Banned
Did you ever get around to trying running off a different power outlet, on a different circuit in the house? Or trying a UPS?

To recap my experience: After moving my computer desk to a different room in the house, I began having some issues with crashing / locking up.. At first I thought it was due to the second 7970 I'd recently installed (which in Crossfire mode caused the system to drawn another 270 watts - But I wasn't having that power/crashing problem at the other outlet..

So my computer would crash and hang sometimes, but usually it would just plain shut itslelf off ungracefully while gaming under load. ~650+watts being drawn from the wall outlet at the time, typically, if crossfired.

But it seldom crashed in scenarios where my TDP was less than 400W even over longer sessions. Before you say power supply, I RMA'd a Seasonsic 1050 platinum and BOUGHT a new Seasonic 1000 gold - same behaviour both PSUs. Seasonic sent me back a new PSU (so now I have a spare) but said they could find no problems with the one I exchanged.

Only when I bought a UPS did it reveal the outlet itself was the problem. Maybe the outlet was shorting out, or getting too hot, or the power was not perfectly stable or something because while gaming, the UPS would kick on for no reason, protecting my PC from the instacrash, and I would operate off the ups battery sometimes up to a minute or more. My system stayed stable the whole time when connected via UPS. Didn't crash at all, even while on crossfire.

The only thing I could think of was the outlet had reliability issues when delivering high wattage. Or the PC was really sensitive to even slight fluctuations. With the UPS, the power to my computer was cleaner and less subject to browning out. The wall outlet, for whatever reason, was having some kind of issue I suppose.

I don't know, it worked for me.

Resilient

WELL, been about a month now, figured I should update.

I replaced the RAM, and haven't had a problem since. Considering the length of time it's been, with no issues popping up, signs are pointing to the RAM being faulty. Really odd, as I tested it thoroughly with memtest 86. but after some more research I found that some users experienced faulty RAM despite cleared tests - apparently memtest can do that.

So good news! Thanks everybody for your help. Appreciate all the different responses and attempts to help from people.

If the issue happens again...I'll be back :L

Anion

Gosh ram issues are the worst. Had ram issues on my mac and also my gaming laptop and it took forever to diagnose. From now on I just tell anyone with random issues that its Ram lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom