• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer Teases Big Exclusive Next Month (NOT Diablo III)

I'd rather it not be Diablo 3, but Irrational's (2K Boston, whatever) secret game that's a sequel to an old "beloved" PC gaming franchise. (X-com please)

KTallguy said:
Please don't be an MMO...

According to Chris Hartgraves (a Blizz employee who left the company) Diablo III is NOT an MMO. And the game takes place in Heaven under an invasion by Hell.

The game has also had a very difficult birth, as it was completely rebooted after the closing of Blizzard North in 2005.

Diabloii.net has a good compendium on all the rumors.

Haunted

I thought we already got our Diablo sequel from the actual Diablo creators
(and it was shit.

sp0rsk said:
Diablo 3 made by Nippon Ichi please.

:(

I guess Blizzard is okay too :\
:lol you're so weird.

kbear

DeaconKnowledge said:
That's one hell of a reach.
Agreed.. I clicked the thread in a fervor only to be disappointed by yet another D3 rumor. I just think it's a stretch. God I hope I'm wrong.

Zzoram

Hmm

http://pc.ign.com/articles/870/870974p1.html?RSSwhen2008-05-01_110500&RSSid=870974

May 1, 2008 - The fan site known as Diablo3.com will be now known as DiabloFans.com as Blizzard now owns the rights to the domain. Considering the fact that Blizzard conceals all of its secrets in a lockbox guarded by demons, the company is denying that this is confirmation for the next Diablo game. Blizzard said it acquires domain names all of the time. The immensely popular action RPG debuted in January 1997 and was followed by Diablo II and two expansion packs, Diablo: Hellfire and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. Although there have been many Diablo clones in recent years, it has been nearly eight years since the last Diablo game came out.

Diablo3.com will continue to run as a fan site until the group transitions over to DiabloFans.com in the coming months. Blizzard's last major game announcement came in the form of StarCraft II, announced at Blizzard's 2007 Worldwide Invitational, the 2008 Blizzard Worldwide Invitational is approaching and will happen in Paris, France, from June 28 to 29.

i'm wondering how blizzard is going to support three Quadruple A titles at the same time.

I bet you those Bastards at Activision is Forcing blizzard to shit out more golden eggs.

Amarox

Technosteve said:
i'm wondering how blizzard is going to support three Quadruple A titles at the same time.
With the hundreds of millions of dollars a year they earn from their massively successful games?

dLMN8R

Technosteve said:

I bet you those Bastards at Activision is Forcing blizzard to shit out more golden eggs.
You honestly think it's possible for anyone to tell Blizzard what to do?

Zzoram

Technosteve said:

:lol Nobody pushes Blizzard around anymore.

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans 1994
The Lost Vikings II 1995
Justice League Task Force 1995
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness 1995
Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal 1996
Diablo 1996
StarCraft 1998
StarCraft: Brood War 1998
Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition 1999
Diablo II 2000
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction 2001
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos 2002
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne 2003
World of Warcraft 2004
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade 2007

Note how Blizzard releases a product every year in the past 14 years except in 1997, 2005 and 2006? The 1997 year is explained because it's clear they wanted Starcraft out that year but were a bit late, resulting in 2 releases in 1998.

The entire period from 2003 onwards, they had 2 teams that were not working on anything WoW related. Starcraft II and Diablo III have had ample time to polish. We know the Starcraft II development started right after Warcraft III, with art and story and units and all that jazz, and that full scale programming and what not began in ~2005/2006. We also know that Diablo 3 was almost done ~2006 and set as a war between Heaven and Hell, but the whole project was dumped and they wanted to start it from scratch again. Assuming that was the case, 2006-2009 would still be 3 years of Diablo 3 development, definitely enough for a high quality product.

Mindlog

Teknopathetic said:
I'd rather it not be Diablo 3, but Irrational's (2K Boston, whatever) secret game that's a sequel to an old "beloved" PC gaming franchise. (X-com please)

Good lord I wasn't even thinking about that. This surprise erection is never going to go away.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
JeffGreen said:
As a former magazine editor, I'd say Diablo 3 makes sense. That's my guess. Blizzard has the big Paris event coming up with a big game announcement. We've already been assuming over here that PCG would have the cover for this---because, well, who else would at this point? So I was waiting to see a Coming Next Month from them written exactly like this.

Gotta be D3.

:(

Amarox

JeffGreen said:
As a former magazine editor, I'd say Diablo 3 makes sense. That's my guess. Blizzard has the big Paris event coming up with a big game announcement. We've already been assuming over here that PCG would have the cover for this---because, well, who else would at this point?
One of the many PC gaming magazines outside of the US?

Weenerz said:
It won't be Diablo 3, It will cut into the World of Warcraft sales.

I hate to think that's true. That would mean I will never see a Diablo sequel. Besides, I quit WoW, I'm ready for DIII and I'm hoping I'm not the only one.

$h@d0w said:
Someone somewhere has probably said this already but - Diablo 3 is already out, it's called Mythos.

Diablo's art direction has always been a huge part of it's appeal to me. And in that respect, it pretty much stands alone, it does a very good job of walking the thin line between being darker than most fantasy games, without getting all emo about it. I never liked the orcs/elves setting and Diablo always provided something a little different, along with Fallout. So I will not accept any substitutes.

"NEXT MONTH
Have you ever had a secret that you're just dying to blurt out, but you can't for another month, and the stress of holding it in makes you want to do the pee-pee dance? That's what the PC Gamer staff is doing right now, because the August issue will be chock-full of exclusives, including a top-secret cover story so huge we had to go to [CENSORED] to get it. Just 30 days more ..."
WAT?

Zzoram said:
We also know that Diablo 3 was almost done ~2006 and set as a war between Heaven and Hell, but the whole project was dumped and they wanted to start it from scratch again. Assuming that was the case, 2006-2009 would still be 3 years of Diablo 3 development, definitely enough for a high quality product.

News to me (if all this is accurate), but it's good to know they're taking their shit seriously, as usual.

Still, I don't see Blizzard releasing anything remotely simultaneous. Both SC2 and DIII so near to each other would be too much goodness and can therefore never be true.

1-D_FTW

firehawk12 said:
Does anyone remember the last time they had a HUGE MEGA EXCLUSIVE OMG and it turned out to be FarCry 2?

If only this one is as awesome. I like the idea of it being Irrational's game, but I'm sure it'll be Diablo:(

Darklord

Banned
An editor of a big PC gaming mag in Australia let it slip that Blizzard will be making a huge announcement in Paris in June. And it isn't about StarCraft 2 or WOTLK.

Diablo 3 is almost 100% it.

Amarox

Darklord said:
An editor of a big PC gaming mag in Australia let it slip that Blizzard will be making a huge announcement in Paris in June. And it isn't about StarCraft 2 or WOTLK.

Diablo 3 is almost 100% it.
Are you talking about PC Powerplay?

Darklord

Banned
Amarox said:
Are you talking about PC Powerplay?

Yeah that's the one.

Edit: Just to make it clear. He didn't say it would be Diablo 3 but when someone asked if the latest Blizzard interview had any D3 details he said wait until #155. He also said he was going to paris for a big announcment.

YYZ

$h@d0w said:
Someone somewhere has probably said this already but - Diablo 3 is already out, it's called Mythos.
true, that's why a lot of people are interested in it too. It will be interesting to see which game is better and more successful.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
KTallguy said:
icon_topsecret.gif
Lead 3D Character Artist - Next-Gen MMO

Top Bottom