• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming is DEAD. Long live PC gaming! A different kind of pro-PC topic.

zoukka

BobsRevenge said:
There are plenty of indie games on 360 and PS3 though. I mean, shit, there are quite a few indie games that come out on console first, and then eventually make their way over.

It's like comparing a glass of water and the pacific ocean.

Dina

Kinda miss AAA myself, but getting sloppy AAA ports like Black Ops is bad in itself. Port it good or don't port it at all.

Most indies are kinda shit tho. Hardly there's an indie worth playing for more than 2 hours. But those good indies are insane value for money. Minecraft, Toki Tori, PvZ, World of Goo are prime examples.

Dina said:
Kinda miss AAA myself, but getting sloppy AAA ports like Black Ops is bad in itself. Port it good or don't port it at all.

Most indies are kinda shit tho. Hardly there's an indie worth playing for more than 2 hours. But those good indies are insane value for money. Minecraft, Toki Tori, PvZ, World of Goo are prime examples.
I don't even know what you're.. most indies are kinda shit? here are some excellent devs from my download folder; starwraith3d, soldak, spiderweb, arcen, frictional, bohemia, cryptic comet, introversion, basilisk, llamasoft, mode7, wolfire, amanita, imagespace, tripwire, newstar, kunos, simbin, paradox, blindmind, battlefront.com, atomic, lazy8, longbow, illwinter, codeforce, panther, dreamspike, railsimulator.com, sillysoft, petroglyph, neocore, doctorentertainment, kerberos, vstep, graviteam.. ok I'm stopping here. from what I remember none of these make sudoku or connect4 10 minute of depth crap but full products easily comparable to anything AAA in scope and value

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BobsRevenge said:
There are plenty of indie games on 360 and PS3 though. I mean, shit, there are quite a few indie games that come out on console first, and then eventually make their way over.

What enabled it is more distribution channels than a migration of big PC developers to consoles. Its not like consoles haven't had an explosion of indie games. Its just that the barriers of entry are more substantial.
The amount of quality indies on PC makes the consoles look silly and small. Hell there is tons of great stuff you can play for fucking free on PC.

szaromir

Banned
Dick Laurent said:
starwraith3d, soldak, spiderweb, arcen, frictional, bohemia, cryptic comet, introversion, basilisk, llamasoft, mode7, wolfire, amanita, imagespace, tripwire, newstar, kunos, simbin, paradox, blindmind, battlefront.com, atomic, lazy8, longbow, illwinter, codeforce, panther, dreamspike, railsimulator.com, sillysoft, petroglyph, neocore, doctorentertainment, kerberos, vstep, graviteam
Listing a publisher on indie dev list is kinda ironic.

IrishNinja

excellent thread. it's hard to comment since i'm only jumping in now, first from the indie stuff on steam sales, and now working my way back through the big budget 90s/early 2000's. i get the complaint that there oughta be more big-budget games built from the ground up for PCs (rather than often non-optimized ports), but it's hard to empathize when this consolization has slowed things down enough to get a beastly gaming rig at a price i can afford. :D

Sipowicz said:
pc gaming is the best. i can pick up some random game i didn't play from tn years ago and still have a better experience than any console game this gen

ugh, you really shit up threads with your blanket console hate, man. i mean, props on not somehow managing to squeeze handhelds into that somehow, but why not give it a rest?

Jintor said:
There's no PC equivalent of Bayonetta, thus PC can't yet claim total supremacy just yet :p
pretty sure the pc equivalent of bayonetta is something like eu3.

sexy sexy maps

eu3_5.png

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Fuckin pirates in EUIII, man… They piss me off. How am I supposed to civilize SA with these dicks around?

Kabouter

wmat said:
Fuckin pirates in EUIII, man… They piss me off. How am I supposed to civilize SA with these dicks around?
They don't bother me so much in Heir to the Throne, before then though, annoying as fuck.

Minsc

Gold Member
Fredescu said:
I'm making the comparison because "Nintendo make us pay way too much for old games!" was a really common complaint when the VC first launched, but the $10 pricepoint is pretty common on GoG and not too many people complain. The point that you can always find a way to get an old game running on current hardware if you try hard enough is a good one though, and funnily enough if I still owned the Mario World cart I'd probably just play it on an emulator on PC and be done with it.

GOG games for $10 are a better value, they're not tied to a single machine, and have no DRM. If I'm buying a decade old title (most likely) for nostalgia, I don't want it to not work in a couple years when I feel the urge to play it again because I don't have a Wii any more and then need to buy it again.

I was never turned off by the prices of the VC, I bought a handful of titles, but stopped a long time ago when I realized I'll probably lose them all if my Wii breaks (or at least have to put up with a huge hassle), or if I replace my Wii with Nintendo's next system.

Top Bottom