• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming will never be taken seriously until it fixes the bs

Fallom

Banned
I don't really get what "taking PC gaming seriously" means. I've been under the impression that big companies are releasing games on the PC and making lots of money off of them, but maybe I'm wrong?

Clawww

This is the main reason of my loathing towards PC Gaming. I can understand people who see this as a non issue or even "enjoy" this bullshit but not me. I was there, and I have no interest in coming back.

Insert the disc and play. That's all I want. Nothing more, nothing less.

Insert disc > mandatory game install > delete previous installs to make room on puny HDD > download dashboard update > sign into paid online service > start game > shit graphics and framerate.

Console gaming 2013.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
I've never really had problems at all. 1 pretty old game on steam took a bit to get working, but it didn't take too long.

The only problem I have and continue to have is HL. Downloaded it a few weeks ago and the game starts and I'm on the tram thing. Make it to the end, try to get off and the door won't open. The work around says to no clip through tram door, save and reload. It doesn't work either, you're off the tram, but the guard who is supposed to open the next door to the lab just stands there. I've looked everywhere for a fix, only thing I can think of is my steam folder is not in the program folders and it is somehow messing that game up.

It sounds like PC gaming isn't for you

There are the odd issues now and than that I'd get from any other regular PC (frozen boot screens, unresponsive programmes requiring a reboot) but gaming wise it's been smooth sailing

Into

I'm the furthest thing from a "tech nerd", I just google my issue and I fix it.

It's really not hard.

I dont find it difficult, been doing it since mid 90s, i find it tedious as fuck.

You never stop feeling like you are in Las Vegas playing the roulette with the platform, you have no idea if you will land on a game that works perfectly, or a game that you will have to spend time fixing, while you wade through 2008 threads on Steam community forum or whatever hell hole you found yourself in.

Actually i am wrong, its not only tedious but also frustrating. Because you paid money for this and it does not work. You naturally feel ripped off.

Not like anyone here can change that, nor do i or anyone expect them to, but the whole "master race", everything-is-paradise-here is plain conjecture, made up fantasy. There are problems on the platform and its mostly due to devs not putting enough work into their ports. Ive never had any real problems with Blizzard games since War 2 or ID Software games, ive almost always had problems with Bethesda, Bioware games and plenty of others.

One of the reasons I don't enjoy PC gaming as much. The first time you start up a game.

I still remember that the first time I started up Dead Rising 2, I had to fix my audio setting to get it to work. I heard it was something that had to do with Win8, I don't remember. Also Sleeping Dogs wouldn't go fullscreen because it would not respond after a few minutes of playing. It turns out that I had to update my graphic drivers. Sonic Generations wouldn't work after starting it up the second time, and it turns out I had to remove a file in the settings and set it up again.

So yeah technical issues reek, but PC gaming is still fun. Just one of those cons of PC gaming for me.

Insert disc > mandatory game install > delete previous installs to make room on puny HDD > download dashboard update > sign into paid online service > start game > shit graphics and framerate.

Console gaming 2013.

Sounds like my PC experience for the past 10 years with some modifications.

sign into free online service > mandatory steam update > insert disc/hit download > mandatory install > delete previous games for HDD space if necessary > start games > shit graphics and framerate (kidding)

Configuring an INI file? I haven't done that in years.

Also takes like 10 seconds if you know what you are looking for (most guides will tell you exactly what to do).

Fallom

Banned
Please help me here. Battlefield 4 is releasing on PC soon, and I'm trying to imagine what could be different about things if, in some glorious hypothetical future, people decided to "take PC gaming seriously". What is the BF4 that could have been?

Dylan

I love PC gaming and will probably never go back to consoles, but the little things do bother me as well.

For example, the new "Geforce Experience" software, which was created to streamline these issues, has been a total headache. The other day it identified an update to the video driver, but then after install, it would notify me of the same update, which made me think the installation was borked. Not a big problem, so I installed again, and yet again it identified the new driver, which just seems to be a bug, but it's a bug that costs the user ~25 minutes of downloading and installation time.

Once the driver is installed, I get a nice "game cannot be optimized" warning for every single one of my games. I figured out that you need to launch into the game in order to optimize them, but there was no indication that this was the case.

Finally, when Geforce Experience did optimize, it failed miserably. It couldn't even get basic settings right for a simple game like DOTA2, one of the most popular PC games out right now. Until I manually fixed each setting, the game was laughably unplayable.

None of this is the end of the world, but the idea that Nvidia spends resources to provide their users with a piece of software that can't even perform the sole function it was designed for is ludicrous to me.

Isn't customizing and tinkering to your best interests THE point of PC gaming ?

Also, what game made you download a missing .dll file ? That never happened to me.

This has happened to me on more than one occasion, not just games either. It probably happened during and update or in the installation process where files are being altered, however this problem does exist.

Most of the time things like this occur when people go around installing random things on their PC without thinking about how all these things interact.

PEBKAC

And if you think problems occur only on PC, I suggest you take a look at some recent releases on console. GTA5 for example.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Isn't that the point of consoles? People who don't want to deal with PC issues can buy a console and have the experience streamlined, easy peesy.

This is the main reason of my loathing towards PC Gaming. I can understand people who see this as a non issue or even "enjoy" this bullshit but not me. I was there, and I have no interest in coming back.

And yet I, and many others, had our 360's RROD and PS3's die. Should I loathe console gaming for having hardware issues? Or should I look at it objectively and understand that not everyone will have the same experience across all platforms?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
For nearly a year The Witcher 2 absolutely refused to launch for me, so I know the OP's pain.

And there was that one time where I couldn't finish GTAIV because my framerate was too high and I had to use FRAPS to halve it in order to get a cutscene to trigger.

But the pros such as far better image fidelity and resolutions, customizations, upgrading paths (still rocking my overclocked 980x with SLI 780GTXs), mod support etc., far outweigh the cons.

NotUS

To OP,

It appears it is a driver issue, roll back your driver and it will fix the problem.

A few users went from current drivers back to 320.49 and were able to complete the freeze fight and move on.

Nvidia have commented on one of the message boards that they have been unable to replicate the problem but are continuing to look into it.

Guy.brush

One of the reasons I don't enjoy PC gaming as much. The first time you start up a game.
I still remember that the first time I started up Dead Rising 2, I had to fix my audio setting to get it to work. I heard it was something that had to do with Win8, I don't remember.

Dead Rising 2 on Win8 should not count against PC gaming though. Game was never built for that OS and we can be glad that basically 99.9% of all games are backwards compatible.
Look to the consoles, they have to rebuy the same shit rebranded as HD every couple of years when their masters decide backwards compatibilty is something the platform shouldn't deal with.

I am currently installing NOLF1 (released in 2000) on Win8.1 (released Oct 2013)...so glad I can.

Dr Dogg

Having been a PC gamer for almost as long as I've played video games, the things you complain about are what makes PC gaming fun to me. The extra effort for the perfect gaming experience is exciting and well worth it.

I love tinkering.

Totally with you on that. Not just perfecting the experience but the experience I want.

If you think things are bad today with the list of issues you brought up try having to deal with vendor specific and card specific APIs, configuring your autoexec.bat file for specific games, nightmarish issues with none standard serial ports, sound settings that required specific revisions of Roland MT-32 or SoundBlaster let alone some quirky DOS workarounds some games required just to run.

People take the plug and play nature of modern PC gaming for granted sometimes.

Kinthalis

Banned
::reads TC::

User error.

The amount of hassle of PC gaming is inversely proportional to the stupidity of the user.

Also PC gaming is taken plenty seriously. Console fanboys notwithstanding.

RK9039

Console gaming 2013.

Patch the game > long loading times > hate mail for spamming hadoukens > syncing trophies > freezes > open 3DS XL and play Pokemon > you win.

But you just put in the BR disc and play.

The disc doesn't want to be played, you can't force it.. no one can.

hlhbk

I've been primarily a pc gamer for about three years now, and while it was awesome in the beginning to be able to play games at 1080p/60 frames a second. My tolerance for the level of bullshit I have to put up with has about run its course. It's not the price of entry, the mouse and keyboard, or playing games at a desk; those issues have already been addressed and largely fixed. It's the constant pc tinkering and general clunkyness that keeps people from pc gaming.

Disabling a keyboard driver to get a game to work, editing ini files and replacing .dll files on a regular basis, certain settings like DX11 or physx breaking a game, windows updates interfering with your game in the middle of a session, limiting certain games to two cores so they don't crash every 10 minutes, poor optimization, games being broken at launch, shitty 3rd party drm, and a whole bunch of other crap that is still common place and shouldn't be tolerated.

I just now reached my breaking point after not being able to progress in Arkham City due to constant crashes during the Mr. Freeze fight. I tried just about every fix I can think of: disable rivatuner-nope, disable D3Doverider-nope, evga precision-nope, restore all default nvida values- nope, update and restore drivers-nope, disable DX11 and physx- nope, and the list goes on and on ad nauesum for about an hour before I just decided to say fuck it, I'm not putting up with this anymore. There goes my money and about 6+ hours worth of play time down the drain. The time I spend to play games shouldn't be taken up with me pulling my hair out just to get a game to function properly, or just work for that matter.

And don't think I'm just being ignorant to the share of issues that plague consoles as well, but at least the only example of a console game I can think of that just flat out refuses to work is Skyrim for the ps3. Spending time to "fix" pc games and deal with the bs is a regular thing for me These issues have really made it hard to decide whether or not I should upgrade, or go ahead with consoles for next gen and for-go the extra bells and whistles with pc gaming.

I truly hope Steam os addresses to fix these issues, otherwise pc gaming will always be a shadow to consoles in terms of public awareness and publisher recognition. I say this as a core pc gamer, and I'm sure I'll get plenty of people playing dumb and telling me how wrong I am, but until people start to really address this and voice concerns, pc gaming will never be something that's taken seriously.

My god you seriously have no idea how much better you have it now than ever before. Back when I started PC gaming in 93 we were having to work in DOS to get games to work. It's so much easier to troubleshoot and get the definitive versions of the games to run than you make it out to be.

Oh yeah one other thing funny how myself and a ton of people I know with clean PC's that are used just to game and nothing else never have had any of the issues you listed above for Arkman City. 99% of the time the issues users see are caused by their PC's, not by the game.

PC gaming is already being taken super serious by the gaming industry, and have cut into the console sales majorly. Why exactly would going to a Linux based O/S fix the complexity?

Derrick01

Banned
Isn't customizing and tinkering to your best interests THE point of PC gaming ?

Also, what game made you download a missing .dll file ? That never happened to me.

No, it's playing games at far better settings than you can on consoles while paying noticeably less for those games. There should be minimal tinkering involved.

Console gaming 2013.

Unfortunately, consoles seem on track to borrow only the worst from PC gaming with none of the advantages.

Each time I buy a new game on PS3 I'm reminded of this shit. The "insert disc -> play" games are long gone. I really hope this changes on the PS4.

Since how long have you been away? I mean, it really is a non issue nowadays. The only moments when one can get into a messy situation is by putting yourself in it, but that's like after that 96th mod you installed in a gamebryo engine, etc.

KHlover

Banned
Haha, what? Are you trapped in a time before Steam? Really, the last time I had to do any of this before being able to start a game was before Steam became big. Unless I play pirated games it takes pretty much exactly 3 klicks from the store page of a game to starting it.

1. Klick "Buy" on the store page
2. Confirm the payment
3. Install

Steam installer handles all the additional shit. Also been literally years since the last unmodded game crashed on me.

CHC

You have to fire-proof your machine instead of putting out fires. I rarely struggle with the issues you describe, probably because I keep things very clean and simple. I didn't install the stupid app that came with my mouse, I use generic drivers where possible, I run very few background applications, I delete any application that doesn't serve my experience well (even if it was installed by a game, as long as research shows I don't need it), I run Steam as administrator to keep non-Steam games from having issues, I don't use any virus protection outside of what now comes with Windows, etc...

That doesn't change your argument that you have to learn how to prevent and fix issues. Just sharing my experience with the platform.

Dead on, I could not agree more. Keep it simple. If you're prompted to sign up / log in / install drivers / subscribe, etc etc, don't do it unless you absolutely must. I rarely have game-halting issues on any legitimate up to date copy of a game running via Steam.

That said I too am getting tired of dealing with the complications and endless upgrading of my PC. It's not exactly hard, but I've had an eye opening past two weeks in which I dusted off my PS3 and have just played a few games. I find I'm a lot less distracted when there is nothing to tweak / test / evaluate / be distracted by. Playing RE4 this past weekend I haven't paid a single thought to resolution, downsampling, SweetFX, FRAPS, any of that.

I know I'll come back to PC but I think to some degree PC gaming is more a hobby / sport / competition with regards to FPS and resolution and hardware and it can distract from actual, y a know, gaming.

Leb

The notion that PC gaming isn't taken seriously by publishers is sort of silly. Virtually every AAA multiplat gets ported to PC, and the quality of the ports, while variable, have only improved since the beginning of the current console generation. While concerns over piracy remain an issue, digital distribution has eliminated 0-day piracy and long tail sales are now seen as an attractive additional revenue stream for publishers. Meanwhile, for the next generation, the PC is the lead development platform for many multiplats.

"But where are the AAA PC exclusives?" you may ask. Well, indeed, those are few and far between but that makes sense, too. Console exclusive games are exclusive because the platform controllers (MS and Sony) are paying developers for their exclusivity; on the PC side, however, there's no one around to do so.

As to your anecdotal hardships, I don't doubt that you were personally frustrated when you made this thread, but to suggest that this in any way constitutes the norm for modern PC gaming is rather disingenuous.

Jedi2016

Maybe I'm just lucky, in having never had most of the problems the OP experienced. And I definitely disagree with the people that flat-out hate PC gaming because of this, apparently stupid enough to believe that it happens with every single release, which is absolutely not the case. I've had to do things like INI tweaks maybe three or four times, out of hundreds of games. That's a far cry from "every single game", and most of those tweaks for done for slight adjustments, fixing things that the majority won't even notice. With the other 99% of the games I play, I just install the game, hit "Play" and it just works, period.

You ever notice those posts and articles talking about some game-breaking bug in a console game? I've seen quite a few of those where the fix is to delete the install/cache from the HDD and have the game reinstall it. That is, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same thing as what people complain about "only happens on PCs". It's just you're doing it through the XMB instead of Windows Explorer, so I guess that makes it somehow better.

Yep that any many other reasons are why i dont like playing on pc. I bought bully during the steam sale and the thing runs badly and i tried lowering the resolution and other effects but it really had no effect. I hear it was a terrible port but got patched at some point, i shudder to think how bad it was before. I like having the soundtrack available in alot of games thats pretty cool, took me a while to find them though. Heck css was my first real mp gake and i played gta 3 and vc on pc but to many negatives and very little positives (at least that i can get out of it)

Console gaming 2013.

Start PC ( Always slower than even the slowest console ) > Start Steam > Launch Game > Tweak Graphical settings > Driver Crash > Reboot PC > Download latest drivers...

I mean this is not always the PC Gaming user experience. And, of course, the process you described isn't' always the console user experience. But let me tell you that even in the worst case escenario ( that easily can be the one you posted ) is never close to the bullshit you can go through with a PC. No, not even close.

EDIT : As for the shit graphics and framerate, this maybe true ( depends the rig ) but then process will be longer Tweak Graphical settings ( all ultra, all post-processing AA to the Max ) > play game > get 10FPS> order new card> order more RAM> order new CPU> assemble....

See my point. You can have your better graphics and gameplay for me, it isn't worth the hassle any more.

Clawww

Unfortunately, consoles seem on track to borrow only the worst from PC gaming with none of the advantages.

Each time I buy a new game on PS3 I'm reminded of this shit. The "insert disc -> play" games are long gone. I really hope this changes on the PS4.

Yeah, as I was writing up that post, the PS4 'boot to gameplay in 15 seconds' claim came to mind. I'd like that a lot.

Superflat

Every gaming machine has drawbacks.

Going from a console-only player to a PC was like going from renting an apartment to owning a house. It's more customizable, bigger, nicer looking and spacious, but guess what-- you have to maintain it all, and pay for everything. It's worth it to have one of course, but it's not like it doesn't come with its own set of problems.

I love my gaming PC and am currently using it 90% more than my consoles to play anything, but there are times when it frustrates me to no end.

eot

Banned
What does "taken seriously" mean?
I too can say shit like: as long as consoles make their UI slow as molasses so they can serve more ads, as long as they have stupid policies that prevent patching and free content, as long as there isn't a competitive digital market, as long as there isn't game agnostic support for user created content and mods, as long as I can't run my own server with my own setting / rules, as long as I have to pay for online [...] consoles will never be "taken seriously".

DeaviL

Banned
I already notice Rivatuner turning up and facepalm immediately, if you're gonna overclock or mess with anything instead of keeping it simple expect the "BS" to multiply.

Also, the "BS" is what gets games like Dark Souls locked at 30FPS to run at 60FPS not looking like a blurry mess.

Every gaming machine has drawbacks.

Going from a console-only player to a PC was like going from renting an apartment to owning a house. It's more customizable, bigger, nicer looking and spacious, but guess what-- you have to maintain it all, and pay for it. It's worth it to have one of course, but it's not like it doesn't come with its own set of problems.

I love my gaming PC and am currently using it 90% more than my consoles to play anything, but there are times when it frustrates me to no end.

That's a pretty good analogy.

Clawww

Start PC ( Always slower than even the slowest console ) > Start Steam > Launch Game > Tweak Graphical settings > Driver Crash > Reboot PC > Download latest drivers...

I mean this is not always the PC Gaming user experience. And, of course, the process you described isn't' always the console user experience. But let me tell you that even in the worst case escenario ( that easily can be the one you posted ) is never close to the bullshit you can go through with a PC. No, not even close.

I was mostly being facetious, but you can't be serious about PC start-up always being slower, right? That made me laugh. In any case, 'wost case scenario' for both platforms is that you don't get to play your game due to either the software or hardware being fucked up. If you're fucked like that, you have a lot more options on PC to get yourself out of that hole.

I have my days where I've about had enough of it too but thankfully I don't run into too many tech issues.

I'm in the same boat. I get frustrated sometimes but not enough to abandon PC gaming, not even close, in the end it's worth it.
I totally see what the OP is saying but when I'm low on patience I just use my PS3 or 3DS to keep things simple.
It gets worse with age because there's barely any time to play, so when you waste that precious hour you had for gaming tweaking ini files or messing around with drivers it's infuriating.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Can't remember the last time I had to edit a file or do anything to get a game to run, only time I'm messing around with files is to improve the experience (remove intros, increase fov, etc.)

Demon Ice

Banned
I honestly very rarely have an issue with a PC game that takes longer than 5-10 minutes to get up and running.

Usually it's a minute of messing with graphic settings to get what I like and I go. PC gaming is easy for me.

Same. I've never had to fuck around with drivers like what the OP is suggesting. And the only .ini files I have to edit are when I want to tinker with the game even more, fix the FoV, disable specific effects with turning the settings down, etc. Stuff you can't do on a console.

And at least PC gaming gives you an opportunity to fix the problem yourself instead of being dependent on the developers to patch it like in console games.

hlhbk

Oh BTW I forgot to mention in my response to the OP: You talk about having to troubleshoot and failures are unacceptable. Funny how I have never had my gaming pc ever completely die on me (the worst thing that ever happened was a bad stick of RAM) and yet I had 3 RROD's, and 1 YLOD on the 360 and ps3 respectively!

But console gaming never has problems!

This post should have been titled "A non-PC gamer tries to estimate PC game-related issues using terms they've heard"

Waaghals

I think the point was that consoles have become far less plug and play-friendly experiences.
Large and often slow patch downloads, mandatory installs - the works.

I agree that getting into the game is generally faster on consoles still, but that difference has narrowed.

Durante

Not like anyone here can change that, nor do i or anyone expect them to, but the whole "master race", everything-is-paradise-here is plain conjecture, made up fantasy.
The paradise on PC is not in everything being perfect from the start. It's in giving you the opportunity (and responsibility) of making things perfect for you.

Going from a console-only player to a PC was like going from renting an apartment to owning a house. It's more customizable, bigger, nicer looking and spacious, but guess what-- you have to maintain it all, and pay for everything. It's worth it to have one of course, but it's not like it doesn't come with its own set of problems.
This thread is full of great analogies.

avaya

The whole point of PC gaming is the tinkering and the ability to customise. If you don't have that all you have is console gaming.

Driver Crash -> reboot PC? This has not happened to me in like 10 years.

idk why some people are trying to dismiss complaints, as someone who has been playing games on the PC since I was a kid this sort of stuff is indeed frustrating when it comes up. Tinkering to get more performance or mess with graphics settings not available in the client are not the same thing as having to figure why a game will straight up not run or crashing constantly. If I have limited time and just finished downloading a game I don't want to find out I need to look up why the game is crashing. It's happened with skyrim, L4D2, and a few others in the past. I love PC gaming but it is indeed something that has yet to be alleviated much. It's funny this thread came up just as I've run into a crashing bug in arkham origins which I'm trying a myriad of ways to fix because it won't let me advance the game.

Top Bottom