• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming will never be taken seriously until it fixes the bs

Tumo

I love pc gaming when it works, but all to often I gear myself up to playing something and when I finally sit down to do it I need to fix various issues and by the time it's working I just don't feel like playing anymore.

Most recent was Antichamber a few days ago....

1st try = crash on start
tinkering...
2nd try = logos then black screen
tinkering...
3rd try = works windowed but not full screen
tinkering...
4th try = works fullscreen but can't change to native resolution or it crashes
tinkering...
5th try = still not working, tired of this and give up

It just seems like it's against me sometimes ):

Jedi2016

Start PC ( Always slower than even the slowest console ) > Start Steam > Launch Game > Tweak Graphical settings > Driver Crash > Reboot PC > Download latest drivers...
PC already running > Drivers update automatically > Steam already running > Latest updates already installed > Launch game > Play game.

Unless you're referring to first-time setup... then yeah, that twelve seconds to configure the graphics settings must be a fucking nightmare.

BasicCable

Neo Member
I've been primarily a pc gamer for about three years now, and while it was awesome in the beginning to be able to play games at 1080p/60 frames a second. My tolerance for the level of bullshit I have to put up with has about run its course. It's not the price of entry, the mouse and keyboard, or playing games at a desk; those issues have already been addressed and largely fixed. It's the constant pc tinkering and general clunkyness that keeps people from pc gaming.

Disabling a keyboard driver to get a game to work, editing ini files and replacing .dll files on a regular basis, certain settings like DX11 or physx breaking a game, windows updates interfering with your game in the middle of a session, limiting certain games to two cores so they don't crash every 10 minutes, poor optimization, games being broken at launch, shitty 3rd party drm, and a whole bunch of other crap that is still common place and shouldn't be tolerated.

I just now reached my breaking point after not being able to progress in Arkham City due to constant crashes during the Mr. Freeze fight. I tried just about every fix I can think of: disable rivatuner-nope, disable D3Doverider-nope, evga precision-nope, restore all default nvida values- nope, update and restore drivers-nope, disable DX11 and physx- nope, and the list goes on and on ad nauesum for about an hour before I just decided to say fuck it, I'm not putting up with this anymore. There goes my money and about 6+ hours worth of play time down the drain. The time I spend to play games shouldn't be taken up with me pulling my hair out just to get a game to function properly, or just work for that matter.

And don't think I'm just being ignorant to the share of issues that plague consoles as well, but at least the only example of a console game I can think of that just flat out refuses to work is Skyrim for the ps3. Spending time to "fix" pc games and deal with the bs is a regular thing for me These issues have really made it hard to decide whether or not I should upgrade, or go ahead with consoles for next gen and for-go the extra bells and whistles with pc gaming.

I truly hope Steam os addresses to fix these issues, otherwise pc gaming will always be a shadow to consoles in terms of public awareness and publisher recognition. I say this as a core pc gamer, and I'm sure I'll get plenty of people playing dumb and telling me how wrong I am, but until people start to really address this and voice concerns, pc gaming will never be something that's taken seriously.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but I had the same issue in that fight. The fix for me was rolling back my NVIDIA drivers to an earlier version. I think, at the time, it was 313 or somewhere around there.

Clawww

idk why some people are trying to dismiss complaints, as someone who has been playing games on the PC since I was a kid this sort of stuff is indeed frustrating when it comes up. Tinkering to get more performance or mess with graphics settings not available in the client are not the same thing as having to figure why a game will straight up not run or crashing constantly. If I have limited time and just finished downloading a game I don't want to find out I need to look up why the game is crashing. It's happened with skyrim, L4D2, and a few others in the past. I love PC gaming but it is indeed something that has yet to be alleviated much. It's funny this thread came up just as I've run into a crashing bug in arkham origins which I'm trying a myriad of ways to fix because it won't let me advance the game.

Well, it's not so much dismissing the complaints--people will tell you that manually tinkering to fix actual problems is rare, but no one is denying it. The issue is the thesis that 'PC gaming won't be taken seriously' until this aspect (essentially inherent to the open nature of the platform) is dealt with... which is just a meaningless, ambiguous, silly thing to say.

Into

The paradise on PC is not in everything being perfect from the start. It's in giving you the opportunity (and responsibility) of making things perfect for you.

This thread is full of great analogies.

Sure, and i am glad you admit that it does take effort, but not everyone wants to admit that it does take work and maintenance. It is more time consuming than a console. And when shit hits the fan, and we all know it does hit the fan at some point, it can be a very frustrating experience.

LCfiner

When a PC game works without issue and I can enjoy high quality IQ with no fiddling it's great.

But there's still issues. More issues than i've ever seen in years of console gaming. One example. Fez has not once launched without crashing. Regardless of settings, resolution, etc. Mac version works ok but PC version is seemingly permanently broken for me.

Fallout 3 would randomly freeze and crash quite a lot.

Big reason why i'm looking forward to new consoles is to get something closer to PC performance with less quirks.

woober

Are my friends and I the only people who dont have these issues? We buy a game and we run it. If we tinker, its because we want it to run/play better than intended.

Qassim

Start PC ( Always slower than even the slowest console ) > Start Steam > Launch Game > Tweak Graphical settings > Driver Crash > Reboot PC > Download latest drivers...

I mean this is not always the PC Gaming user experience. And, of course, the process you described isn't' always the console user experience. But let me tell you that even in the worst case escenario ( that easily can be the one you posted ) is never close to the bullshit you can go through with a PC. No, not even close.

It certainly is for me. I own all the current gen consoles, it certainly takes a lot longer for me to get into games on my consoles than it does on my PC.

My experience when GTAV came out:

Insert disc -> Wait well over an hour for the game to install.

I haven't had to deal with that stuff on my PC for 10 years! I can download and be playing most games within an hour on my PC. Takes me a tiny amount of time to boot up most games and be in them, all my games at automatically updated (unlike the broken PS3 system).

I accept there *should* be more friction involved with PC gaming because that is the nature of an open platform, but the reality for me has been far from that. It is that playing on the consoles involves so much more friction right from the distribution level all the way to actually getting in a game.

The next-gen should fix a lot of these things and tip it back into the consoles favour, but this current gen has been complete shit, and only been getting worse as time goes on for 'pick-up-and-play'.

Jedi2016

Are my friends and I the only people who dont have these issues? We buy a game and we run it. If we tinker, its because we want it to run/play better than intended.
Nope, I'm right there with you. I don't know what kind of fucked up PCs these other guys are playing on.

NotSelf

My only gripe so far with pc gaming is the controls I don't like a mouse and keyboard the F710 is also not cutting it and I don't think a ps4 controller is going to make any difference but i'm hoping the steam controller will be my savior.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Yeah, its fucking infuriating sometimes.
Last night I couldn't connect to Steam on my laptop, tried everything so don't you armchair fucks tell me what I should have done.

You sure Steam wasn't just down for maintenance? And deleting the .blob file fixes 99% of Steam issues.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, it's playing games at far better settings than you can on consoles while paying noticeably less for those games. There should be minimal tinkering involved.

Tinkering can be (and generally is) a large part in why you can play those setting. There is no one size fits all unless you spent a few $/£1000 and even then you'll run into some issues. Because every game will almost never be able to rune perfectly on every PC at the exact same setting you will NEED to tinker to get the best results for that specific game unless you don't want the best results and would rather have good ones.

Since as you said you want better settings than consoles to reach the best for the majority of gamers you will want to tinker. That's why people refer to it as the point.

For all the rest quoting my post I was, just like the member I responded, just exageratting What a PC user experience could be sometimes. And I would like to know how much long term PC Gamers are some of the people are assuming I don't know shit about it, but that's for another discussion.

Ysiadmihi

Banned

Honestly, the last time I had any serious issue with a PC game was Civ 5 at launch and all I had to do was update my drivers (which were about half a year out of date).

PC gaming has been smooth for me for a long time.

Durante

Sure, and i am glad you admit that it does take effort, but not everyone wants to admit that it does take work and maintenance. It is more time consuming than a console. And when shit hits the fan, and we all know it does hit the fan at some point, it can be a very frustrating experience.
When shit hits the fan on consoles though (which might happen more rarely, but does happen), you can't do anything about it. Your 80 hour Skyrim save on PS3 will never work well, and you can't fix or replace the component in your RROD 360 which is broken.

That, to me, is far more frustrating than anything I can improve, no matter how strenuous the process.

Skilletor

Nope. And with Geforce experience, it's only getting easier for me.

My experience: PC on > drivers updated automatically > geforce optimize graphics > game preloaded > play game immediately

I had an issue with DarkSouls because of GFWL and I lost my save in Arkham City because of the removal of GFWL and getting switched to the GotY edition (but apparently there's a fix for that), but I haven't had a single issue as described in this thread.

It's almost as plug and play as consoles in my experience. The most tinkering I've had to do has been to get my DS4 to work with my PC games.

I hate all the tinkering and upgrading too. Way too much work for something I want to have fun and relax with. But I guess the point of PC gaming IS tinkering and upgrading, a lot of people like to faf around with all that shit.

tineladia

Neo Member
My "currently playing" list includes games from the mid 90s all the way through to games released within the last month, and they all work on my current PC. Yes, it took some tweaking (e.g. DOS Box for some, compatibility mode for others), but I think that tweaking is worth it to be able to run games that old.

Yes, PC games can sometimes be quirky, but in general PCs are way more user friendly now than they were even 10 years ago.

CLEEK

My time with PC gaming came to an end when I realised I really didn't enjoy playing the mandatory meta-game of tweaking, testing, updating the games, OS and drivers.

As my career progressed and I had kids, my free time reduced and became far too precious to spend it fucking about getting games to run well.

plasmasd

I've been a PC (and console gamer) since I was 6 years old playing on my dad's 8088 in Monochrome CGA.

The issues will never go away. Part of enjoyment is tinkering, I doubt even a steam machine will make anything easier. You'll just have a whole new set of issues to learn and deal with.

Get the consoles that have the exclusives you want to play without tinkering. Get 3rd party AAA and indie titles on the PC that are worth taking the time to make them look their best.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The alternative is that you can't fix problems at all when they pop up on closed platforms. You can alleviate running into stuff like driver issues by choosing the appropriate hardware/OS in a lot of circumstances.

CHC

That's a personal thing, though. I was playing Civ 5 on my crappy laptop with rock-bottom settings happy as a clam because it was a nice sunny day to sit with my dogs and play games. Sometimes that freedom pays off in ways that don't relate to the biggest and best.

Good point, some of it probably just comes from taking a break and then returning to something, I just feel less of that careless joy on PC for some reason because I think too much about what's under the hood

Phinor

Sure, there are bad days and if you don't want to put any effort into the quality of your gaming, PC isn't probably a good platform for you. It is frustrating to debug a seemingly unsolvable problem but if you can't fix it yourself, there's always someone else who can (although it might cost money, but PC is a premium platform anyway).

Tinkering and tweaking settings is the main reason I enjoy PC gaming. On consoles you are stuck with whatever the developer, publisher or platform holder decided. It starts from small things: for example if I couldn't change FOV whether via in-game options, editing .ini files or indeed using a program that changes memory registers on the fly, I probably would have quit gaming already thanks to developers who decided that low FOV is the only option they want to offer us.

The day they lock PC gaming platform is the day I quit gaming. Luckily for me that day will never come. Also consoles are so damn slow with their unresponsive UI and loading times it makes me angry, grr. It takes me more time to get into a game of NHL 14 than it takes to reboot my computer twice while starting and quitting a game between reboots. SSD was a game changer.

Honestly this is why I never really went for PC gaming

I made a gaming rig a couple years back and can work out problems with games not working correctly but I just can't be bothered to do it as often as I seemed to back then

I love to tinker with my computer itself but when I want to play a game, I just want to play a game as fast as possible

I realize YMMV but this is the main reason why I've never done much on PC's short of RTS and the like

For all the rest quoting my post I was, just like the member I responded, just exageratting What a PC user experience could be sometimes. And I would like to know how much long term PC Gamers are some of the people are assuming I don't know shit about it, but that's for another discussion.

I imagine this is more of a technical topic, so a kid of 16 who never played Baldur's Gate II doesn't have less merit in knowing what PC gaming entails. He may a well be a tech wiz. Technology is not about seniority.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That's true of pc's full stop. Either you know how to fix the issues or someone else does but it's far more easier if you can find those answers yourself. Unless everyone starts to use super closed environments for everything (e.g tablets) it's something you'll have to deal with.

system11

OP just listed pretty much every reason I don't play games on PCs. I spend all my day at work dealing with a pretty huge farm of servers, and when I get home the very last thing I want to do in the world is deal with a PC.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
What did I fucking SAY?
Of course I tried all that shit, everything, including rebuilding the windows route map via netsh.
Don't try to make out that Steam is trouble-free. it fucking isn't.

Probably user error to be honest, did you try turning it off and on again?

When a PC game works without issue and I can enjoy high quality IQ with no fiddling it's great.

But there's still issues. More issues than i've ever seen in years of console gaming. One example. Fez has not once launched without crashing. Regardless of settings, resolution, etc. Mac version works ok but PC version is seemingly permanently broken for me.

Fallout 3 would randomly freeze and crash quite a lot.

Big reason why i'm looking forward to new consoles is to get something closer to PC performance with less quirks.

The highs are higher but the lows are lower.

Ideal conditions:
- PC: Minimal first-time install, can likely remove annoying unskippable startup logos, much better graphics performance, pretty much download-and-play
- Consoles: Must always wait for annoying, slow updates, multiplatform games are almost always run on the equivalent of Medium on PC, with 30 FPS that's more likely than not to be unstable.

^PC Wins.

Worst conditions:
- PC: Game straight up does not start, no matter how many hours you devote to fixing it (happened with me on Dirt 2. Ugh). Game is bricked.
- Consoles: Still wait for annoying, slow updates and poor graphics/performance, but game is never unplayable unless the game itself was shit (like Skyrim on PS3 after 60+ hours), not counting actual hardware failure (which can occur on both PC and consoles).

^Consoles win.

"But where are the AAA PC exclusives?" you may ask. Well, indeed, those are few and far between but that makes sense, too. Console exclusive games are exclusive because the platform controllers (MS and Sony) are paying developers for their exclusivity; on the PC side, however, there's no one around to do so.

Are you saying Sony and MS pay devs to not release games on PC? Many games, especially JRPG, stay exclusively on console because that'st where their target audiences are. Sony and MS don't always have to pay.

derExperte

Whatever. He loves Baldur's Gate 2.

I'm honestly surprised, everytime I see him talking about PC gaming he're crapping on it and coming across like he doesn't know a lot. Might have actually stopped playing on PC right after BG2. I may have missed some posts but this thread doesn't help. At all. And quite a few console gamers are exactly like that. But yeah, whatever.

en0s

Neo Member
Going from a console-only player to a PC was like going from renting an apartment to owning a house. It's more customizable, bigger, nicer looking and spacious, but guess what-- you have to maintain it all, and pay for everything. It's worth it to have one of course, but it's not like it doesn't come with its own set of problems.

great analogy

Durante

That's a personal thing, though. I was playing Civ 5 on my crappy laptop with rock-bottom settings happy as a clam because it was a nice sunny day to sit with my dogs and play games. Sometimes that freedom pays off in ways that don't relate to the biggest and best.
I agree, the focus on PC being only for ultra top-end gaming detracts a bit from some strengths of the platform.

As per your example, recently I continued a Civ V game I started on my desktop on my Vaio on a plane, with multitouch. That was nice.

OP, you should blame the shitty ports and releases that developers do, and then also blame the massive amount of configurations of PC parts available for the inability to iron out all those bugs.

The price of admission for 1080p 60fps godlike textures and choice of controls and mods is patience. Fixing the majority of bugs takes two seconds. Some are unavoidable, like buggy bullshit in the Arkham games.

Don't get all buttflustered about them. Just go play something else and tell the developers why you wont buy their games.

I'm honestly surprised, everytime I see him talking about PC gaming he're crapping on it and coming across like he doesn't know a lot. Or has stopped playing on PC right after BG2. I may have missed some posts but this thread doesn't help. At all.

Well of course when he brings it up he likes to say it's the last PC game ever worth playing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Honestly this is why I never really went for PC gaming

I made a gaming rig a couple years back and can work out problems with games not working correctly but I just can't be bothered to do it as often as I seemed to back then

I love to tinker with my computer itself but when I want to play a game, I just want to play a game as fast as possible

I realize YMMV but this is the main reason why I've never done much on PC's short of RTS and the like

If you're tinkering more than a few times it cause you want too for the most part. I love tinkering for a lot of things but it's not all that necessary or that common in the course of a week and even less if you consider months or a year. Also a couple of years ago isn't the same as now. Windows 7 and 8 done right are a much different experience than vista or xp could ever give you.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What did I fucking SAY?
Of course I tried all that shit, everything, including rebuilding the windows route map via netsh.
Don't try to make out that Steam is trouble-free. it fucking isn't.

Nothing is, but chances are your in the minority, Just like some consoles have a higher chance to overheat, there will be some specific configurations steam will have an issue due to the large amount of variables there will almost always be something that gets through. You just learn from the issues of your bad luck and move on.

Top Bottom