• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC : Grand Theft Auto IV, Who's playing it ? And how?

Darklord said:
GTAIV2008-12-0218-28-39-84.jpg

1.5GB GPU? Wow. 1GB cards are fairly rare. More than that is insane.
It telling you how many resources it requires is pretty awesome. More games should do that.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
FuKuy said:
Try lowering traffic density.... 360 and PS3 versions had density set to 30.
Haha seriously? Wow, is that cars-covering-street-space-percentage?? Because when I'm blitzing around in LC, the city is very densely populated with cars except in industrial areas..

Maybe you actually don't want 100 then - cars covering all street space would break the game.

Dabanton

DaCocoBrova said:
Damn, this sucks. I won't even bother...

I didn't even know this was out. Will there be mods? If so, a good year complete w/ patches etc. will do this port justice.

Most of the mods with the exception of MTA and SA:MP were appalling.

so don't expect much on that front.

Personally I'll be waiting for when they manage to get 100+ players in the MP mode.

infinityBCRT said:
It telling you how many resources it requires is pretty awesome. More games should do that.
No!

I cannot choose my native resolution (1280x1024) because of my 8800GTS 320! Damnit

crap my sister bought me this for my birthday and I only have a core 2 + x1950 pro. My PC handled DMC4, Bioshock and Fallout 3 no problemo so I was hoping for more of the same..

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dabanton said:

Personally I'll be waiting for when they manage to get 100+ players in the MP mode.
Don't listen to this man. There were some awesome car mods for all 3D GTAs.

Dabanton

wmat said:
Don't listen to this man. There were some awesome car mods for all 3D GTAs.

Yes i know there were some very good car mods and skin mods i have plenty. But i think he was asking about story and gameplay mods.

Which were rubbish.

Lince

Banned
and I skipped the console vers for this one... too late to cancel my order, it's already been shipped, I guess there will be patches/new drivers to address performance because this is a joke.

edit: I thought having the engine already optimized for multicore would benefit the PC version alas DMC4, something has gone terribly wrong.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
whose playing this game?

god. on his brand new hand built rig. he's getting almost constant 25fps!

Kabouter

Seems like Rockstar is on a roll with PC ports lately. Bully was the worst port ever, this doesn't seem much better.

Cheeto

Lich_King said:
And then they will blame piracy for sales...
I assume theres no demo either? So they'll probably see an even larger number of people downloading the game than usual to see how it runs.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Cheeto said:
I assume theres no demo either? So they'll probably see an even larger number of people downloading the game than usual to see how it runs.

i'm convinced this was a big factor in the initially low sales/high piracy rate for crysis - even though there was a demo, it was moot as soon as there were widespread reports of the retail version being more optimised. sales which quickly ramped up to platinum as soon as the 8800gt was available in mainstream numbers.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Dabanton said:

I wasn't referring to total game conversions, but adding cars, characters etc. There was some really nice add-ons for GTA:SA

*sighs*

And I was looking forward to this all year. Amazon hasn't shipped my preorder yet so I'll just cancel this until (if?) they patch it. Don't have the time to play it right now anyway.

Woffls

Assuming there's no demo, It's probably going to be a popular choice to acquire the game through unconventional means just to see if the damn thing runs or not. I'm sure as hell not buying it at this rate if it's not going to run well. I have an 8800GT and i'm concerned that a game wont run on my system... remember when 8800's were hawt, with the frog and stuff.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Revolutionary said:
"Definitive version", eh?

Just recalling some quotes from the GTAIV PC announcement thread.. :lol

It still will be the be definitive version.
in 5 years time when everyone can run it smoothly.

Lich_King

Cheeto said:

At least 3 of my friends downloaded it after they heard about this, so maybe it's new DRM in pirated version? They weren't able to play it at any reasonable FPS :lol

p3tran

Banned
can one of you guys that already have the game (and are using a decent rig) try these settings:

everything as in the pic above, except:

view distance: 80
detail distance: 65
vehicle density: 45
shadow density: 4-6

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Revolutionary said:
"Definitive version", eh?

Just recalling some quotes from the GTAIV PC announcement thread.. :lol
Er...well, when we all have Dual GTX-280 class graphics cards it will be.

My word GTA 4 PC looks badly optimized. I was going to buy it on Friday but my system will not like me for this, yuck.

Is this all from pirated copies, or do some of you actually own the game?

R* said that pirated copies would not run properly. I still expect it to get hacked, but it could be the cause of this.

Cheeto

HurricaneJesus said:

R* said that pirated copies would not run properly. I still expect it to get hacked, but it could be the cause of this.
Did they? This is an interesting twist.

Davidion

HurricaneJesus said:

Uh oh. :lol :lol :lol :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
HurricaneJesus said:
What a dick move. I love it.

derder

HurricaneJesus said:

Dear lord, I hope not. They tried to do this for Titan Quest and it backfired.

HurricaneJesus said:

This is like the worst idea ever. Crippling the performance in a game this way just makes sure that your game gets flamed by the "hardware enthusiast" crowd and is labeled as "unoptimized" or is a "terrible port" at internet speed, scaring away the other actual gamers who would buy your game.

Titan Quest did this and Ironlore specifically mentioned that it was a very, very bad decision in retrospect.

HurricaneJesus said:
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/11/29/pc-version-gta-iv-be-saddled-securom

Rockstar also warned that pirated versions would not function properly:

Aside from the fact that warez are a great place to pick up a Trojan or key logger, using a cracked copy of GTA IV PC will result in varying changes to the game experience. These can range from comical to game-progress-halting changes.
wow

I'm still downloading this off of steam, its going to take a while.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The press thing doesn't say that the warez'd version is supposed to have performance issues.

woeds

Has anyone tried this on a quadcore yet? I've read that playing around witht he GFX settings doesn't affect the framerate that much. I could be that this game is CPU limited (or even CPU-Core limited) seeing that it's simulating an entire city.

maxax

Fragamemnon said:
This is like the worst idea ever. Crippling the performance in a game this way just makes sure that your game gets flamed by the "hardware enthusiast" crowd and is labeled as "unoptimized" or is a "terrible port" at internet speed, scaring away the other actual gamers who would buy your game.

Titan Quest did this and Ironlore specifically mentioned that it was a very, very bad decision in retrospect.
I'm still weary of buying Titan Quest because people saying it's a buggy shitfest still lingers in the back of my head.

Top Bottom