• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC : Grand Theft Auto IV, Who's playing it ? And how?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
woeds said:
Has anyone tried this on a quadcore yet? I've read that playing around witht he GFX settings doesn't affect the framerate that much. I could be that this game is CPU limited (or even CPU-Core limited) seeing that it's simulating an entire city.
What do you want to say?

It doesn't simulate an entire city at once, by the way.. Just the part where you are.

Zenith

Banned
HurricaneJesus said:
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/11/29/pc-version-gta-iv-be-saddled-securom

Rockstar also warned that pirated versions would not function properly:

Aside from the fact that warez are a great place to pick up a Trojan or key logger, using a cracked copy of GTA IV PC will result in varying changes to the game experience. These can range from comical to game-progress-halting changes.

mygtacq7.jpg

and from the same guy:

gta4uz1.jpg

I got 32fps average on the benchmark tool but I reckon I'm playing it at about 20-25.

morons.

I never accused anyone of pirating, I was just relaying what I read on GP.

I guess this thread is solely for bashing R* and GTA IV?

My mistake.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It seems like alot of issues are related to ATI cards, going by posts on other aussie forums. Hopefully ATI will pump out a performance patch or rockstar will do their job.

Also

- Had to install Rockstar Social Club
- Had to install Games for Windows Live
- Had to install the Game and securom
- Be told I cant save the game without a Live account
- Get Windows Live Account
- Get Games Account
- Be told I don't have a Rockstar Social Club account every time the game is booted
- Sit through loading screen with no loading bar
- Instantly notice the major graphical glitches. Cannot see anything in opening scene. Just the ocean and a few jaggies
- Get to gameplay and framerate is 10-20 fps.
- Restart game but be told I don't have the original disk by securom
- Try for the third time and securom works
- Repeat the same issues

That has to suck :lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wow so my notebook (2.4Ghz C2D, 9800M GT 256bit 512MB DDR3, 3GB Crucial DDR3 RAM) has no chance at running this piece of shit?

So what the fuck, the min specs listed a 7900 for GPU, yet 4870s can't maintain 30fps above low setting? I don't care how CPU intensive a game is, when an 8600GT is listed along with the recommended specs, even my notebook should slaughter the game.

Good fucking game Rockstar. GGNORE.

j-wood said:
I am confused by your post. What are you trying to show?
Legit copy.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
HurricaneJesus said:
I guess this thread is solely for bashing R* and GTA IV?

My mistake.

if a 360 port of san andreas ran at 20-25fps, you'd be pretty pissed too.

This is unfortunate. There was a part of me that was quite curious to see this game in its full glory as it can be an extremely gorgeous game on the 360 and like everyone I assumed the PC version would be stunning.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
j-wood said:
I am confused by your post. What are you trying to show?
The Rockstar quote was obviously posted to suggest that people dealing with poor performance may be pirating the game while the photos were designed to show that even legit users are having severe performance issues.

ghst said:
if a 360 port of san andreas ran at 20-25fps, you'd be pretty pissed too.

How many of the people bashing actually have the game? Also, if these people hate R* and GTA IV so much, then why do they care how it runs?

I purchased GTA IV for my 360 on day one, and think it is an awesome game. I tried to provide some input in this thread, and got flamed. Enjoy bitching about a game you never wanted to enjoy in the first place.

Manager

I suppose Eurogamer don't have the piracy copy:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=322028

But on other levels, it hasn't a clue. Like the vast majority of PC games, it auto-calculates its graphic settings. Unlike the vast majority of PC games, which generally underestimate what your PC can manage for the logical reason that a less-attractive game is less annoying than a less-playable one, its auto-calculation is more than a little optimistic. I had to knock down the default graphic options quite a bit on my PC (dual-core 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 640MB GeForce 8800) until I got an acceptable rate, and even then there was the occasional really nasty drop. While my experience was more pronounced than most, speaking to other reviewers via the secret review-grapevine lead to confirmation that fiddling to get it playable was universal.

That said, it's worth noting that even turned down, Liberty City remains one of the most visually stunning places yet seen in videogames. And, in terms of future-proofing, there's a lot of sliders that can be turned wayyyy up. In five years' time, the PC version will be the definitive visual incarnation of Liberty City - playing with a draw-distance set around to 20 and traffic-density way low makes the prospect of those hitting the 100 exciting. But now... well, it probably still is the most attractive version, but it's annoyingly fiddly to get there.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
HurricaneJesus said:
How many of the people bashing actually have the game? Also, if these people hate R* and GTA IV so much, then why do they care how it runs?

I purchased GTA IV for my 360 on day one, and think it is an awesome game. I tried to provide some input in this thread, and got flamed. Enjoy bitching about a game you never wanted to enjoy in the first place.

riddle me this: i wanted to buy this game, now i don't.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
HurricaneJesus said:

The quote doesn't say anything about performance.

ghst said:
riddle me this: i wanted to buy this game, now i don't.

Then don't buy it based on these first impressions. From the reviews, it sounds like the game runs fine if you don't try and max everything out.

x3sphere

evlcookie said:
It seems like alot of issues are related to ATI cards, going by posts on other aussie forums. Hopefully ATI will pump out a performance patch or rockstar will do their job.

I'm going to remain hopeful but I honestly doubt it. San Andreas ran like crap on a lot of PCs when it first came out, and the performance issues were never fixed. It just got better over time as hardware improved. Rockstar has done a poor job on optimizing its PC games. Also it seems like GTA IV in particular is more CPU limited than GPU.

I like how they spent all the effort with the rockstar social network and then dropped the ball completely on the one thing that pc gamers will not forgive or forget, bad performance.

just skip this for now, if there is a mod scene later you can score a copy from amazon marketplace for $10.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
HurricaneJesus said:
Then don't buy it based on these first impressions. From the reviews, it sounds like the game runs fine if you don't try and max everything out.
Well, from the user experiences, it doesn't quite sound like that. So who's right?

Uk release date is tomorrow, Friday is usual release day, game sent yesterday afternoon, hopefully get it tomorrow.

I just hope they've put the effort in, they usually do with the pc ports, we'll see.

HurricaneJesus said:

if the game doesn't run fine with everything maxed out, then you need to change what maxed out is so it does run fine maxed out. Never, ever, ever make that angry guy with a hardware website have to turn stuff down beyond a notch or two at most-that's bad. It'll go from his site to hardforum and arstechnica in like two hours, and by the end of the day shacknews and blues will have it on their front pages and it's welcome to meme-ville, population-"your game runs like a turd"

wmat said:
Well, from the user experiences, it doesn't quite sound like that. So who's right?

So if the game ran like complete shit, and the reviewers weren't even able to enjoy the game, you don't think they would mention it?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
HurricaneJesus said:

for a guy with a bill hicks avatar, you're doing a great impression of a shill.

ghst said:
for a guy with a bill hicks avatar, you're doing a great impression of a shill.

Now the personal attacks start?

You don't even have the game, dude.

Edit: The only reason I responded to this thread in the first place is because I am sick of all the GTA IV hate. The collective have already made their minds up about it, so I guess there was no point. Flame on.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
HurricaneJesus said:
So if the game ran like complete shit, and the reviewers weren't even able to enjoy the game, you don't think they would mention it?
Exactly. 100 points.

The discrepancy between reviewer's alleged performance and experienced performance at home is legendary for the really big titles.

See San Andreas, if you need an example. Or Battlefield 2.

HurricaneJesus said:

We care how it runs because we're spending our fucking money on it? Stop defending a cruddy unoptimized PC port.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
HurricaneJesus said:
Your mind is already made up, so I won't even bother.
Made up about what, exactly? When the absolute top of the graphics cards can't manage 30fps on medium settings, somebody FUCKED UP BADLY.

Pardon me, but I don't understand your point of view.

K.Jack said:
Made up about what, exactly? When the absolute top of the graphics cards can't manage 30fps on medium settings, somebody FUCKED UP BADLY.

Pardon me, but I don't understand your point of view.

Define 'medium settings'.

From the sounds of the reviews, 50 on the sliders is not medium settings.

Zzoram

Guys remember, when you say you're running it on Low and getting 20fps, you're running it on low at 1680x1050 or 1280x1024. The 360 version was 30fps at 1280x720, probably on Medium with sliders at like 20-30.

HurricaneJesus said:
Now the personal attacks start?

You don't even have the game, dude.

Edit: The only reason I responded to this thread in the first place is because I am sick of all the GTA IV hate. The collective have already made their minds up about it, so I guess there was no point. Flame on.
Waa waaa.

Zzoram said:
Guys remember, when you say you're running it on Low and getting 20fps, you're running it on low at 1680x1050 or 1280x1024. The 360 version was 30fps at 1280x720, probably on Medium with sliders at like 20-30.
Still terrible.

I get 25 FPS maxing out Crysis Warhead at 1680x1050. And GTA IV ain't no Crysis Warhead.

Fio

Well, I think it's better to ignore some attention whores in this thread. Move on.

If there are more reports about how the game is running, please post them. I want to buy the game but it has to actually works properly.

Zzoram

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Still terrible.

I get 25 FPS maxing out Crysis Warhead at 1680x1050. And GTA IV ain't no Crysis Warhead.

Ya, that's true. I can play Crysis Warhead with everything maxed except Shadows and Motion Blur at 35fps at 1680x1050 noAA with my E8400 + 4870 in DX9 mode, and that *should* mean that I can play everything out there this year or older maxed or close to it above 30fps.

That said, I played GTA IV on Xbox 360, and then I traded it in. I don't intend to get the PC one.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
HurricaneJesus said:
The only reason I responded to this thread in the first place is because I am sick of all the GTA IV hate. The collective have already made their minds up about it, so I guess there was no point. Flame on.

steer your way towards the gta4 pc announcement thread before you start throwing around such dismissive bile.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zenith said:
the people who posted the first screens and news of poor performance also posted photos of themselves with the game.

Quoted because seemingly 6 people missed this.

If this is the performance of it, well that's shit. No excuse for a small street like the one shown when draw distance is not in effect, unless it is constantly processing objects you can't see...

Which brings us to the next point. Maybe it is super CPU bound?

ghst said:
steer your way towards the gta4 pc announcement thread before you start throwing around such dismissive bile.

I am talking about the performance issues.

Edit: Look, I am not going to bother with this anymore. I will wait until more is known before taking a stance on this.

Maybe the game is unoptimized, maybe not. It is too early to make that call. When more is known, maybe the discussion can continue.

Zzoram

Hazaro said:
Quoted because seemingly 6 people missed this.

If this is the performance of it, well that's shit. No excuse for a small street like the one shown when draw distance is not in effect, unless it is constantly processing objects you can't see...

Which brings us to the next point. Maybe it is super CPU bound?

If it was optimized for the 3-core Xbox 360, and they were too lazy to fix it for 2-core PC CPUs, then it's possible. Has anyone with a Quadcore reported bad performance?

HurricaneJesus said:

Aside from the fact that warez are a great place to pick up a Trojan or key logger, using a cracked copy of GTA IV PC will result in varying changes to the game experience. These can range from comical to game-progress-halting changes.
Fear based copy protection?

Companies should put out misinformation torrents that look like a real game and then blow up after a while (without harming the pirates computer) just to screw with pirates, IMHO.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
HurricaneJesus said:
Maybe the game is unoptimized, maybe not. It is too early to make that call. When more is known, maybe the discussion can continue.

if you're so determined to argue that we don't drag r* over the coals on this one, do a little googling of your own and find some user reports that contradict those of seemingly every single person in this thread whose gone out and bought it.

until then, i'll stick with occam's razor.

TheExodu5

Banned
speculawyer said:
Fear based copy protection?

Yeah, that's the idea.

speculawyer said:
Companies should put out misinformation torrents that look like a real game and then blow up after a while (without harming the pirates computer) just to screw with pirates, IMHO.

Wouldn't do much. Most of the popular torrent sites have comment sections, and a bad release quickly dies off.

- Had to install Rockstar Social Club
- Had to install Games for Windows Live
- Had to install the Game and securom
- Be told I cant save the game without a Live account
- Get Windows Live Account
- Get Games Account
- Be told I don't have a Rockstar Social Club account every time the game is booted
- Sit through loading screen with no loading bar
- Instantly notice the major graphical glitches. Cannot see anything in opening scene. Just the ocean and a few jaggies
- Get to gameplay and framerate is 10-20 fps.
- Restart game but be told I don't have the original disk by securom
- Try for the third time and securom works
- Repeat the same issues

Christ. I can't even laugh at this shit. It's just sad. And look at the garbage you're forced to install. Why isn't that optional.

TheExodu5 said:
Wouldn't do much. Most of the popular torrent sites have comment sections, and a bad release quickly dies off.
Well, that's why I said 'after a while'. Let it it go for a while before blowing up.

You certainly wouldn't stop piracy but perhaps you could make it annoying enough so that it is just easier for people to buy the real game.

Log4Girlz

Can someone linke that great GTAIV PC destroys console version thread? Not saying it still doesn't, but the performance is a kick in the nads.

Chris R

maxax said:
I'm still weary of buying Titan Quest because people saying it's a buggy shitfest still lingers in the back of my head.
They fixed most of the bugs with patches.

Also, several of the first bug reports were from people who pirated the game.

I wont be buying this right now, but if Rockstar gets their shit together down the road I might. GTASA on the PC is still my fav GTA game so here is hoping they can get on improvements...

HurricaneJesus said:

i wanna see what comical shit it does :eek:

SOMEONE REPORT ON THIS

Top Bottom