• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Low Settings Screenshot Thread

Rapstah

Arguably, the worse the games look on low, the better optimised for PC they are.

Yes: it's not a bad thing if good-looking games look like shit on their lowest settings. Max Payne 3 looking "surprisingly good" is because it doesn't actually run on too low-spec PCs.

screenshot2012-06-12alv7oi.png

screenshot2012-06-12aicuq9.png

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
etqw2012-06-1217-33-1g4i9t.png

Probably a bit lower than low in some cases, didn't check my .cfg!

Also, why restrict to 720p? Should just be your native res.

Oh and fisheye.

mclem

I'm pretty positive that the Doom 3 screenshots posted are below the lowest settings due to config file hacks.

They are, that's why I highlighted it wasn't really directly within the rules of the thread; it just happens that it's an interesting feat that was managed.

zorbsie

Love the idea behind this thread. Wonder if posting the framerate would be a good idea. Although at that point I guess you'd have to list PC specs as well.

Witcher 2 is a weird example. I looked at a HD video comparing all settings and there are shockingly few differences as you progress higher and higher, while keeping resolution constant. Like you can notice the difference, but the range is miniscule compared to games like Half Life 2 or Crysis.

It seems to be the case that multiplat games that lead on console are the ones that typically have very small range from low to high, and compensate for this by having higher min requirements than would otherwise be the case.

Jubern

While it's not quite within the rules of the thread, I have to throw out a mention to the guy who managed to coax Doom 3 into running on two SLI'd Voodoo 2s. Feast your eyes on this:

(Images were already compressed at the source, I'm afraid - this isn't something I can conjure up myself!)

http://i.imgur.com/FgNW2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iSN0V.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/isZtR.pg

Who says you need a flashlight?

(Given the circumstances, that's really not a bad framerate, considering)

Holy shit lol

That reminds me of when I was playing Half-Life (&OF), Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 and, even worse, Red Faction on my first PC. It was a Pentium II 266mHz, with 96 Mo of RAM and a pitiful ATI 3D Rage Pro. It ran rather well, all things considered, but at low settings 640*480. And boy was it horrible, I wish I had screenshots of it. Red Faction at low, low settings was amazing. It was circa 1999-2001 I reckon.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sorry to derail but is there an image hosting addon for chrome that doesn't compress the shite out of piccies?

yeah, nice idea. As someone who'll be gaming on a laptop from time to time, it's nice to see games aren't total butt on low.

although when I first played Crysis, I had to do so on low and it looked rather butt-esque.

elcapitan

Scalability, bitches. One of the things I love about PC gaming. I think framerates should be posted too. I wonder how much of a performance boost these give along with their specs. I expect 300fps on the high end.

There are two low setting threads?
There are 2 screen shots threads. The 2012 one covers normal gameplay in any setting, HUD configuration and can be taken with stuff like fraps in the picture.

There's an artistic one. For the super high quality stuff, no HUD's and some other requirements.

So where does this fit?
Can't tell this thread apart from the High Res Screenshot thread lately, huh?

Well, I have been away for a while.........
Cause that thread you mentioned serves this purpose and let's clutter in super big forum like this is good?

Just asked if there was a good reason. But i guess another topic can't hurt :)

Top Bottom