• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC monitor just exploded

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date

Reversed

That gets me worried about my Samsung curved monitor that sometimes flashes when turned on (replugging the HDMI cable sometimes fixes it), and acts weird when looking at grainy gifs.

lem0n

Got a 970 as well and I just picked up an LG ultrawide on Amazon, 29um58 or something like that. Good monitor so far!

Swarna

144hz, no vsync > 60hz anything

At any frame rate. Say goodbye to laggy v-sync'd 60hz where a single frame drop leads to judder or excessively screen tearing without v-sync.

Tearing is less noticeable the higher refresh rate you go. Needing to push 144fps or requiring g-sync is one of biggest myths about 144hz.

First of all you can't tell us your monitor exploded and then move on In a nonchalant way.

I have a 144hz monitor and going from 144hz to 60hz doesn't feel like going from 60hz to 30hz. I personally don't feel that way. 60hz might not feel as smooth, but it's not choppy. Plus not counting input latency and only visually speaking, I can't tell a difference once I go above 90-100fps

Set the monitor to 120 hz if you don't get a gsync monitor. Otherwise anything other than 72 and 144 fps will be a stuttering mess.

144hz, no vsync > 60hz anything

At any frame rate. Say goodbye to laggy v-sync'd 60hz where a single frame drop leads to judder or excessively screen tearing without v-sync.

Tearing is less noticeable the higher refresh rate you go. Needing to push 144fps or requiring g-sync is one of biggest myths about 144hz.

Tearing is terrible no matter the fps. Even at 100 fps I can't stand tearing. Adaptive refresh rate is amazing and it will be part of every display sooner or later.

After getting a G-sync panel I can't NOT recommend it even though you said it's too rich for your blood. It's just incredible what it does. Going back to play an Xbone or PS4 game after getting used to it is very, very hard.

After getting a G-sync panel I can't NOT recommend it even though you said it's too rich for your blood. It's just incredible what it does. Going back to play an Xbone or PS4 game after getting used to it is very, very hard.

I fully agree. It's a huge difference. Barely any stutter ever again. It's wonderful.

Ash735

Set the monitor to 120 hz if you don't get a gsync monitor. Otherwise anything other than 72 and 144 fps will be a stuttering mess.
This, I wish more people would aim for 120Hz. 144Hz is such an odd number that only games can make use of it. At least with 120Hz you'll have a correct ratio for 24fps (Movies/Blu-rays), 30fps (Some Games, TV content), 40fps (an extra stop gap between 30-60), 60fps and of course 120fps.

GTX 970

Well I mean it's not in bits like a grenade hit it, but it was an extremely loud bang that nearly gave me a heart attack, smoke and some bright lights. Something inside died obviously but no idea what, I just unplugged it and it's on my bed. I've never had anything like this happen before.

Sounds pretty fucking horrifying...hope you're safe and nothing bad happened

OBias

GTX 970

Well I mean it's not in bits like a grenade hit it, but it was an extremely loud bang that nearly gave me a heart attack, smoke and some bright lights. Something inside died obviously but no idea what, I just unplugged it and it's on my bed. I've never had anything like this happen before.

A capacitor blew up, probably.

Tmac

My upper backlite stopped working long ago and my monitor is very dark... That happened long time ago and i'll still using it.... too lazy (or cheap) to replace it. lol

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

I just didn't have the money. The Viewsonic XG2401 will be arriving within the next 8 hours so hopefully it's as good as everyone says, I read a ton of reviews and it seems to be the best TN/144Hz/1080p monitor on the market so it should be a big step up to what I had. I've been bored without a computer so I finally cleaned out my spare room which no longer looks like a horders paradise, so at least something good came of this.

It's frustrating that I now have Freesync but I can't benefit from it, I read that Nvidia could implement it if they wanted to but obviously they won't as they want to sell monitors for a £200 premium. Maybe when the PC gaming fund replenishes I can look at upgrading to Vega sometime in the future.

Make sure to try out blur reduction (ULMB, LightBoost, etc).

144hz is good but blur reduction makes it even better and gets it even closer to CRTs.

u1crMSl.png

Having the motion clarity that lets you read this map(warning: fast scrolling map) while it's in motion is pretty amazing compared to how blurry and unreadable it is on a 60hz monitor.

FYI this adds input lag

Always found 144 to be >>> 120 strobed

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, not a good first impression here. Unless I tilt the monitor back or put it to it's highest stand setting the bottom half of the screen is tinted blue, I'm guessing that's a viewing angle issue or what? It's much worse the brighter the screen settings and on white backgrounds. My old monitor was a TN panel too and nowhere near this extreme. Nearly all the stand heights and positions render the display unusable. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to let me know.

EDIT: Couldn't get it to look non dog shit using the default Windows profile, but using NVCP to set it up using online calibration tests and now it looks really great, much better than my other monitor and 144Hz feels nice, although, it wasn't as massive as I was expecting but still noticeable.

Top Bottom