• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

TJP

18449317_1547971321888146_8312751218597060032_o.jpg

Hehe, was a great day all round yesterday actually.

Marco bought lunch after picking me up from the station in his 911 before we headed to the office. Had a good play with the cars/ai then had a real enlightening chat with him for a couple of hrs.
Got a much greater understanding and respect for what they've done and are doing for the future.

Makes me want to visit all the nay sayers and trolls on the ac forums in a Jay and silent bob strikes back style! :D

TheBear

Can someone explain the situation with automobilista and VR? I read something on their forums about not being able to do it because of DX9? Not even sure what that means, but I sure would like to play Reiza games in VR

Can someone explain the situation with automobilista and VR? I read something on their forums about not being able to do it because of DX9? Not even sure what that means, but I sure would like to play Reiza games in VR

That's correct. Oculus dropped DX9 support near the start of DK2's life. I think Reiza issued a mea-culpa after they mentioned it in their Indiegogo campaign, but I think they just weren't up to speed on what had happened.

TheBear

Sounds like it is happening now though? Just still in development? AMS is their platform moving forward right so it I imagine it would just be updated at some point with VR

TJP

Had a good play with the cars/ai then had a real enlightening chat with him for a couple of hrs.
Got a much greater understanding and respect for what they've done and are doing for the future.

Makes me want to visit all the nay sayers and trolls on the ac forums in a Jay and silent bob strikes back style! :D
So you had lunch bought for you and were driven around in a 911 - you are little more than a shill!
I kid !!! :cool:

It is amazing what you can learn when you are able to talk with a developer or team member once the P.R. bullshit is removed and you can talk freely. I've learnt a lot about the sim racing business through testing and the respect shown to other developers and passion the dev's have in their product and for cars, racing and the sim racing genre, often despite a sometimes toxic community, is commendable.

Dave_6

Man iRacing has become brutal for me this week. Doing the fixed Trucks at Kansas and in three races my rating has dropped from nearly 2.8 down to 2.3 due to other peoples crashes. So frustrating getting penalized for not being able to avoid something.

TJP

Looking to buy some DLC for Raceroom but I'm a bit strapped for cash which are the best packs the "must have" if you will
GT3 or ADAC series worked on by real world drivers would be my pick because there are lots of good cars that are all different to drive.

The DTM series was worked on with Bruno Spengler's direct input although there are only 3 cars.

Dave_6

They make some of the nicest mods I've ever seen. They also just released the Jordan F191 last week as well and it's fantastic. Plus they have some some in the works like the McLaren MP4/5, MP4/20 and the Renault R25.

Business

I'm thinking of getting 3 monitors for a triple screen setup. Any of you guys has recommentadions for 1080p monitors for this job? The usual stuff, narrow bezel, low response time...

Jilt

So you had lunch bought for you and were driven around in a 911 - you are little more than a shill!
I kid !!! :cool:

It is amazing what you can learn when you are able to talk with a developer or team member once the P.R. bullshit is removed and you can talk freely. I've learnt a lot about the sim racing business through testing and the respect shown to other developers and passion the dev's have in their product and for cars, racing and the sim racing genre, often despite a sometimes toxic community, is commendable.

That does happen, not only in the sim business, everywhere on the internet. The freedom of speech thingy has gotten people to loose any kind of politeness or tact. You can burp away rather anonymous on any topic you don´t have a clue about and hurt peoples feelings. But hey, they are just words, right?....

I'm thinking of getting 3 monitors for a triple screen setup. Any of you guys has recommentadions for 1080p monitors for this job? The usual stuff, narrow bezel, low response time...

You can spend as little as $250, or as much as $1400. You're going to have to fall on the spectrum first before anyone can help.

I just had a go in the Honda Civic BTCC after the update in rFactor 2.

Why is the "weight off the steering axle = lighter forces"-effect so extreme in that car? It's even happening when I'm taking it slower with hardly any understeer.
Let's say the tire load factor in the FFB is pretty high in rF2 compared to other sims, then still... why in that car so much more?
Do I miss some logical reason why the effect actually should be drastically enhanced in a FWD race car?

:)

I was thinking 800€ - 1000€ but I don't mind going higher if I think it's worth it.

Great, well my answer would probably be the ViewSonic XG2401 which people seem to regard as one of the best TN 144Hz out there. You take an image quality hit on most of these TN panels, but this one is actually supposed to be pretty nice.

I think I'd bail from 144Hz if you wanted to spend less than that. The "gamer tax" is a bit brutal on some of these other crappy 144Hz monitors. I'd rather spend considerably less, and get a lovely picture in a big size. Something like the BenQ GW2760HS. 60Hz won't kill you ;-)

mrsmr2

I just had a go in the Honda Civic BTCC after the update in rFactor 2.

Why is the "weight off the steering axle = lighter forces"-effect so extreme in that car? It's even happening when I'm taking it slower with hardly any understeer.
Let's say the tire load factor in the FFB is pretty high in rF2 compared to other sims, then still... why in that car so much more?
Do I miss some logical reason why the effect actually should be drastically enhanced in a FWD race car?

The Civic has always majored on torque steer and there were plenty of similar posts about it when it was first released. It's weird.

The Civic has always majored on torque steer and there were plenty of similar posts about it when it was first released. It's weird.

This thread might be worth reading: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/honda-civic-btcc-v1-3-observations.55619/

Occasionally good info is posted on that forum. The tl;dr answer is the tyre changes have made the FFB alter, especially on medium compound tyres.
Thanks guys.
Can't be torque steer though since it would always be steering in the same direction on-throttle then(edit: and would also steer in that direction when trying to drive straight). I thought it might be from a from a very low diff pre-load and the diff restricting very suddenly, but a) the effect would still be overdone in my opinion and b) a FWD race car usually has a pretty high pre-load, why would it be so different here.

I haven't tried the other tire compounds for that car, but if it's true what the guys in TJP's linked thread say and the other two compounds feel normal, he must be right and it is something unintentional with the medium compound and will be fixed soon (I hope).
Definitely felt interesting though.

Business

Great, well my answer would probably be the ViewSonic XG2401 which people seem to regard as one of the best TN 144Hz out there. You take an image quality hit on most of these TN panels, but this one is actually supposed to be pretty nice.

I think I'd bail from 144Hz if you wanted to spend less than that. The "gamer tax" is a bit brutal on some of these other crappy 144Hz monitors. I'd rather spend considerably less, and get a lovely picture in a big size. Something like the BenQ GW2760HS. 60Hz won't kill you ;-)

Thanks for this. I'm not sure how much I'll end up using that rig so the BenQ seems like a good compromise. 60 Hz hurts a bit but yeah I should survive.

I'm using these. I run them at 72Hz (so that it syncs with a 144fps cap). They're one of the lowest latency VA 60Hz panels, so they feel pretty good for driving, but the pixels don't switch as fast as a TN, meaning it's still fairly blurry in motion. VA is better at colour and contrast however.

But... if you can afford 144Hz panels and your PC is capable of running sims at 144fps at 5760x1080, then you'll get a better driving experience.

Thanks for your input as well, I wasn't aware you could run them at 72hz.

Thanks for this. I'm not sure how much I'll end up using that rig so the BenQ seems like a good compromise. 60 Hz hurts a bit but yeah I should survive.
I'm using these. I run them at 72Hz (so that it syncs with a 144fps cap). They're one of the lowest latency VA 60Hz panels, so they feel pretty good for driving, but the pixels don't switch as fast as a TN, meaning it's still fairly blurry in motion. VA is better at colour and contrast however.

But... if you can afford 144Hz panels and your PC is capable of running sims at 144fps at 5760x1080, then you'll get a better driving experience.

Effect

Been enjoying racing some of the formula styled cars in PCars and curious about trying one of the F1 games. Any suggestions on which one to get? One of the older and cheaper ones? Is the latest F1 2016 good? Kinda liking the career system that game seems to have from the little I've watched. I remember hearing that 2015 was really bad so I guess I'll stay away from that.

Thanks

DD

Been enjoying racing some of the formula styled cars in PCars and curious about trying one of the F1 games. Any suggestions on which one to get? One of the older and cheaper ones? Is the latest F1 2016 good? Kinda liking the career system that game seems to have from the little I've watched. I remember hearing that 2015 was really bad so I guess I'll stay away from that.

Thanks

F1 2016 is pretty great (best one in the series), but it has Denuvo, unfortunately.

TJP

Version 1.14 Change log:

New autosaved replay options and UI added to launcher main theme
New Audi TT Cup
New Audi TT RS (VLN)
New Audi R8 GT3 2016
New Audi R18 LMP1 2014
New Lotus 3-Eleven (race)
New McLaren 570S
New McLaren P1 GTR
New Maserati MC12 GT1
New Toyota Celica ST185 Group A
New Toyota TS040 Hybrid 2014
Mandatory pitstop window is now related to pit entry timing (replacing old system)
Pitstop animation enabled with oculus or STAY_IN_CAR enabled (system/cfg/pitstop.ini)
Added Position set digital script
Added ballast and restrictor option offline for championships and multiplayer. Work in Progress for offline quick race and race weekend UI
Added wind algorithm
If controller is keyboard then Pitstop app is replaced by mouse pitstop
Mouse pitstop with Mouse Steering enabled is now working correctly
Tweaked backfire flash flames in many cars
Realtime app: qualify/practice colors are based on leaderboard position, race color on current position
Added DIGITAL_PANEL script to display current position and P2P on car's external panels (Audi TT Cup)
Added FUEL_PERC script to show fuel quantity as percentage (McLaren 570S)
Fixed broken UI interaction due to session switching when pitstop was not finished
Fixed rare automatic pitstop activation at car spawning in the pit
Fixed deadzone for gamepads
Fixed Tyre App thermal value for exploded tyres
Minimum for automatic reset tyre on track is now 2
Fixed flag rendering in VR with PP off (again, hopefully for real this time
Fixed Achievements from unlocking when car is blackflagged
Pitstop app: new tyre pressure can only differ from the current one by 4psi (because of minimal height rule)
Added Push To Pass system (Audi TT Cup), P2P amount depends on grid position, enabled in Practice and Race sessions only
Added physics option for different fuel weight/density (optional section in car.ini [FUEL_EXT] KG_PER_LITER=value)
Adjusted Lotus 98T tyre wear
Fixed old pitstop UI from allowing more fuel when setup is fixed
Added Black Flag description
Added Online time of day multiplier (x1 to x10)
Added track animated starting lights
Added blink feature to RPM SERIES script (updated all relevant cars)
Added acServerManager 1.14.0
Added Time multiplier
Added Wind
Added Restrictor (BoP)
Fixed BoP server message to client
Fixed bug on client fixed setup 2nd reloading
Added resolution string on splash screen
Added "safe mode" initialization when first DX11 init fails, it will try again with desktop resolution and AA/Fullscreen off
Added AI Aggression selection
More AI differences within a single lap to generate more battles
Added AI wing setup variations
Added new Random camera mode algorithm
Fixed driver model visibility bug in Random camera mode
Removed AI slowdown hack for cars with spool differentials
Improved Downshift Protection algorithm
Fixed AI giving away green light by flooring gas 500ms in advance
New AI algorithms for understeer detection and downshifting
Fixed Car Engineering app sometimes reporting wrong total and sprung weights
Added Fuel x Time on Setup Fuel tab and pitapp
Added best splits at the end of the race on leaderboard timetable
eTweaked leaderboard to show player name/position even if that player has disconnected
Updated Steam statistic reader to synchronize steam achievement
Added "virtual desktops" functionality to in-game GUI (cyclable through ctrl+u key combination)
Fixed session synchronization issue when session switches while a new player is joining
AI is now using kers
Fixed Nissan Skyline R34 having downshift protection when it should not
Added "variation" slider for AI. It will randomize the AI level in the range selected.
Fixed Nissan GT3 texture map on lod B
Added player's nation flag support (not valid flag will be rendered as AC logo)
Added new Driver Label GUI (customizable in \system\cfg\name_displayer.ini)
Added nation flags on leaderboard GUI
Tweaked opponents list to include nationality
Update special events to include nationality
Added Mandatory Pit warning message at the start of the race
Added minisectors to overlay leaderboard and performance delta app, this can be disabled through [Documents]/Assetto Corsa/cfg/gameplay.ini
Some template updates to existing content
Porsche 911 RSR 2017 template added
Templates added for Lotus 3-Eleven, Audi TT Cup, Audi TT VLN, McLaren 570S, Mclaren P1 GTR, Toyota Celica ST185, Maserati MC12 GT1,
Minor graphical updates on the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup and Lotus Exige V6 Cup
Digital display script tweaks across the board
Fixed a bug on Nissan GTR GT3 LOD B
Minor livery fix on Glickenhoue SGC003
Python new functions:
getWindSpeed
getWindDirection
getDriverNationCode(CAR_ID)
getCarSkin(CAR_ID)
Added deactivation on lateral G on McLaren P1 and P1 Gtr (optional [DEACTIVATION] LIMIT_G=[x] in drs.ini)
Porsche 911 RSR 2017 official WEC liveries added

Kunos have made available the 'Ready to Race' DLC car pack.

Ready to Race DLC Content:

Audi R8 LMS 2016
Audi R18 e-tron Quattro
Audi TT Cup 2016
Audi TT RS (VLN)
Lotus 3-Eleven
Maserati MC12 GT1
McLaren 570S
McLaren P1 GTR
Toyota Celica ST185 Turbo
Toyota TS040 Hybrid

TJP

Post: https://www.studio-397.com/2017/05/roadmap-update-may-2017/

we now go left with the USF2000 oval package upgrade. Recently we got our hands on some good hard data on the oval package run by the USF2000 series – the resulting upgrade package we’ve developed makes for a more challenging open wheel oval experience. The added adjustments, being in line with the real world data add the proper baseline asymmetry needed, making the car better suited to the sustained wheel-to-wheel and ‘in the draft’ oval action. Additionally, the provided asymmetrical setup is a great starting point for those daunted by having to make an oval setup, it should be well balanced out of the box for a wide range of ovals – so don’t be afraid to just jump in start racing. You should see this update early next week.

and...

Over the weekend, we will be at the Jumbo Racing Days, driven by Max Verstappen, which is a spectacular event at Circuit Park Zandvoort. In a partnership with Red Bull, Fanatec, PlaySeat and Team Redline we have setup a large tent in the paddock area with a couple of rigs where you can test your skills against some of the Team Redline drivers on-site. We’ve heard that Max Verstappen will drop by himself to set a benchmark lap! He will of course also give a lot of demonstrations with his racing car on the real track throughout the whole weekend.

For us this is a great opportunity to share the first preview of our new Zandvoort track, which will be coming to rFactor 2

Nice sign along the pit straight :)

Dave_6

New AI is much, much better IMO. The fact that I never race with AI in anything and I did three AI races last night says something, lol.

TheBear

I often hear about V8 supercar teams using simulators for training their drivers to learn tracks etc, but what game are they using? Iracing only has a handful of Aussie tracks, AMS doesn't have any and I think RF2 is just modded tracks which aren't even close to the real thing. Reason I ask is I would like to practice on some local tracks (namely Sydney Motorsport park) but I can't find a laser scanned track in any of the current sims. But the supercar teams must have a version of it right?

TJP

I often hear about V8 supercar teams using simulators for training their drivers to learn tracks etc, but what game are they using? Iracing only has a handful of Aussie tracks, AMS doesn't have any and I think RF2 is just modded tracks which aren't even close to the real thing. Reason I ask is I would like to practice on some local tracks (namely Sydney Motorsport park) but I can't find a laser scanned track in any of the current sims. But the supercar teams must have a version of it right?
I doubt you'll find any laser scanned versions of Aussie tracks for any sim apart from Phillip Island in iRacing (which I keep reading people don't care for which is nuts). There are a few Aussie tracks being made for Assetto Corsa; likely to be using Google Earth and YT clips.

The V8 Supercar teams most likely use an off the shelf application such as rF Pro which can only be bought by racing teams. rF Pro has a laser scanned version of the Nurburgring that rF2 owners have been wanting for 24 months ;)

Or they use Forza Motorsport 5 & 6 if the Xbox ads are to be believed.

TheBear

Ok that's interesting, would it be likely that RF Pro would have the other Aussie tracks? Or would they use mods? Not sure why they would bother with inaccurate tracks though

Also, why wouldn't they just release laser scanned versions of all of their tracks to the consumer model? Some sort of licensing issue?

TJP

Ok that's interesting, would it be likely that RF Pro would have the other Aussie tracks? Or would they use mods? Not sure why they would bother with inaccurate tracks though

Also, why wouldn't they just release laser scanned versions of all of their tracks to the consumer model? Some sort of licensing issue?
Unfortunately only the actual V8 teams would know what they use; I'm guessing based off the fact the maker of rF Pro stated F1 and NASCAR teams used rF Pro. The Ferrari F1 certainly team did until a few years back when everything went in house.

The Nurburgring for rFactor Pro could be ported to rF2 in theory, licencing costs are a major issue as ISI pointed out on their forums. From what I understand R3E, AC and iRacing all use the same scan data of the Nurburgring which is now out of date due to changes and resurfacing.

Plenty of Devs use Google Maps and GPS data to make tracks and often get telemetry from the teams for elevation changes. Laser scanning is just one of many techniques available nowadays to track modellers.

TJP

This puts things into perspective!

Marco statement: https://m.facebook.com/marco.massarutto.1/posts/10208970344209788
I would like to take advantage of this gameplay video to say something. We are a team of crazy, genuine people who love their job, showing some talent but, even more, a genuine devotion for what they do. This makes Assetto Corsa what it is today. But I can't forget to mention that, most of AI&physics algorithms, as well as the tyre model, the netcode and the graphics engine of our game has been programmed by one single person, my teammate in business Stefano "Kunos" Casillo. All the tracks (except for one) have been modeled by one guy, Simone Trevisiol, who takes care also about shaders, post processing effects and gfx fine tuning. Most of the sound environment and effects has been managed by one guy (with some programming support), Luca Sodano. Only one guy, Aristotelis Vasilakos, is behind the car handling, vehicle dynamics and tyre data (that means this lazy guy updated all the hundreds of cars included in the game each time Stefano updated the code behind physics and tyre model). And Gianluca Miragoli is behind the 3D modeling of at least half of the car models and most of the interiors. I should mention all the others that made Assetto Corsa what is today and I thank all of them. But the people mentioned above are with us by the beginning. I'm proud to be part of this team

Ian Bell of SMS posted: I once told Stefano I had 15 coders doing what he does. I was wrong, it's 32 given the above.

Stefano is a genius. In fact, I think he is something like the John Carmack of our present time.

I love Assetto Corsa and I too think that Stefano is a very, very smart and devoted guy. That he knows so much about coding, programming languages, mathematics for 3D engine development as well as physics and vehicle dynamics (look at how complex just the topic "tires" is) and never went to college - 100% self-taught - is really amazing, ...however, I've read Masters of Doom and nothing really compares to John Carmack, if you're looking at game development.
Some bullet points from John Carmack's list of achievements:
- first side-scrolling platformer on the PC platform (Commander Keen)
- first really fluid and fast scrolling 3D engine with Wolfenstein and in a mor advanced form Doom
- first game that spawned a dial-up "play over the internet" service (DWANGO was developed primarily because of DOOM's LAN success, the code was Carmack's)
- first game in "true" 3D space and 3D character models with Quake
- first use of colored lighting effects and a cube mapped skybox in Quake 2
- first use of spline-based curved surfaces for Quake 3 Arena (among other things)
- first use of stencil shadowing for Doom 3

there are also the stories about fast inverse square root, 3D headset development and rocket science.

Comparing Stefano to Will Wright for example would be better in my opinion (in a less casual and talkative way though ;).

Patrick S.

Banned
Carmack pioneered so much stuff, there's nothing left :D

Stefano is the one guy who I would think of if you asked me "who is the most impressive programmer/dev guy today?".

Top Bottom