• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

I can't say for sure if it runs at higher frame rates, but it's certainly smoother for me. Whether that's improved frame timing or something else. Don't know. The only place where it was a slideshow was in the replays with the over the top DoF on ultra.

I see no shortage of people who are having terrible performance, but what else is new.

Game looks great however. Clear step forward.

mrsmr2

The game is currently windowed mode only, fullscreen is not working.

That means it has the downside of running with that overhead but with the upside of using Windows' triple buffering vsync if you have Aero turned on.

On mine AMP with the GT500s it's very stuttery but USFs around Mores is ok. Unplayable with 20 cars on the grid at Toban. Framerate says 60 but it isn't - thanks triple buffering.

Turning Aero off (turns off vsync) helps but I still get some stutters even then.

Windowed mode is great for systems with plenty of headroom but there are very few of those when it comes to rF2.

I'm out until they bring back full screen mode.

And in the spirit of the ISI way of doing things, the updated tracks and contents have disappeared from the workshop so you can't get them again if you choose to move back to the dx9 version - so it seems from reading the forums.

Win7, 3570k, 970, 8GB

TJP

GamerMuscle rF2 VR video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8q5krDiEHg

First mod track, Barbagello for rF2, has been updated to DX 11 specs: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=768933002
20170502234711_1_zpsoutwpsft.jpg

UsePostFX=1

And in the launcher's video settings Post Effects is set to Ultra.
We still doing text edits in rF2? I presume this turns on FXAA instead of SMAA? Jeez I thought we were past this ;)

Will get into it for sure.

Just like to say, thanks for the constant updates in this thread.
No worries :) We have to keep out little sim racing niche within the Gaming Discussion tab

TJP

I'm pretty sure I have an issue with the YEBIS Post-Processing

8)

I'm seeing reports of the DX11 version of rF2 being very CPU bound although we have Marvel stating he is running a 35 car grid.

mrsmr2

rF2 seems to behaving better tonight.

Went back to Toban, turned Aero off but put PP on Ultra, and it was pretty good. Lots of tearing but no stutters at all. With all settings at max (apart from shadow blur set to Fast), and AA at 3, I was around 80% GPU. Surprisingly, GPU load was hardly affected by having 19 cars in front of me on the grid.

I then found a screenshot of settings I used in Jan with quite a few turned down from max - Shadows, Particles, Road and Environment Reflection. It's possible these are the settings I was using prior to the DX11 build.

I used those settings and that gave me better performance. Turned off PP and I was under the magic 50% GPU load - which meant I could go back to my normal 120fps capped framerate. After that Toban felt like it did before. However, the starting grid had a significant impact on fps - down to around 91 fps, rising to 120 as they spread out.

Buoyed with my new optimism, I took my lower settings and PP off to AMP with the GT500 (but capped at 60) - which was a nightmare yesterday. Better than yesterday but you can see AMP is a performance killer. Still, it was playable - around 60-70% GPU capped at 60fps.

What I can see is that new engine can have excellent frame times. There is no tearing during these periods and it looks like vsync is on. Toban was mostly smooth. and even AMP had moments of smoothness.

What is odd is how the engine changes. I took the Corvette GT2 to Oulton Park and for the first few laps there was a lot of tearing in cockpit view but smooth/great frametimes in bumper view. However, after switching back to cockpit for a few laps, the situation reversed and the bumper view started tearing consistently.

So, I'm a lot happier tonight and I can consider rF2 playable. However, I would cry if I didn't have the option to turn Aero off. Otherwise, I'd have to turn a lot of things down and it might still stutter. And I still want full screen as I'm sure that would free up a bit more resource to the game.

TJP

Seems S397 have taken to their blog again: https://www.studio-397.com/2017/05/the-road-ahead-open-beta-explained/

Beta update thread: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/dx11-beta-updates.55357/

Discord link: https://discordapp.com/invite/7ca8Wf8

I have no idea what that setting does, I just wanted to turn on as many FX as possible and break rF2.
It turns on FXAA ;)

Edit: I just read to set the PP effects to medium. Marcel apparently stated on Document (link has been posted) that the high and ultra settings are only recommended for still images.

TJP

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy1TjDwF8xg

Changelog 04-05-2017:

Released Anderstorp Circuit.

Game:

Fixed an issue where time allowed to give a position was showing 15 seconds instead of 30.
Fixed an issue where players sometimes received a penalty while on the grid at the start of MP race.
Added a 2 second period during which the yellow flag is caused still can be overtaken after he/she has fulfilled the criteria for not causing a yellow anymore.
Increased the speed threshold needed to release a yellow flag.

Multiplayer

Added a setting “Stay in Practice Session if Empty” to turn on/off session freeze to dedi. If ON, the server will stay in practice session if it’s empty. If OFF the server will continue to qualifying even if it’s empty.
Added a setting “Allow Players Join in Qualifying” to allow/disallow players join during Qualifying. If OFF players can’t join during Qualifying. If ON players can join during Qualifying.

Sounds, Cameras, Physics & AI:

Mclaren 650s: Camera update following the steering wheel alignment fix.
Suzuka: Fixed BMW Procar going wide in 130R and fixed too harsh 130R cut rules

Art:

McLaren 650s GT3: Fixed alignment of the steering wheel.

Portal & Backend:

Fixed some inconsistencies with competition starting and ending time being x hours off depending on the players local time difference to UTC.

Watevaman

Glad to see Anderstorp in R3E now. I had a lot of fun on that track in GTR2. I always seem to get it confused with Knutstorp, which was in one of the Race07 expansions I believe. I think that was my favorite track for the longest time.

TJP

Forum Link: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/official-dx11-beta-updates.55357/

5/5/2017 : Build ID : 1802039
- Added "Aggressive Threading" On/Off option (this could improve performance for older AMD/INTEL processors )
Default Value is off.
Keep it to OFF to test performance improvements

5/5/2017 (2): Build ID : 1802266
- Internal file acces improvements

5/5/2017 (3): Build ID : 1803126
- Improved transfer data to the GPU

DX9 vs DX11 Thread: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/official-dx9-vs-dx11-performance-difference.55385/

I'm still finding the beta build VERY heavy on GPU resources, even with the PP dialed back to the suggested medium settings. A full grid of F1 2012 AI cars (25) at Not-Suzuka saw the GPU usage rise to 94% at one point. I see a lot of micro stuttering too which may be an issue with Nvidia's own v-sync settings (as it can be with R3E).

mrsmr2

rF2 only runs in Windowed mode so you are using Windows' vsync option. If you have Aero on, as most people will by default, you'll be using Aero's triple buffering.

This causes stuttering on mine.

Try turning Aero off. You'll get tearing but the stuttering should go. I found Aero on almost unplayable.

EDIT: and presumably you are using some form of frame limiter. Otherwise the fps will be all over the place.

TheBear

Looking at selling my PSVR and getting into VR sim racing. Seems like the rift would be the way to go as it's cheaper and less intrusive to setup, do either have any particular advantage in sim racing?
Also I own dirt rally on steam, will that work on the rift? Not sure how that stuff works. Mostly going to be playing iracing

TJP

EDIT: and presumably you are using some form of frame limiter. Otherwise the fps will be all over the place.
I have limited frames in my json profile as the video card screams when rendering just the rF2 in-game menus at 900fps!

I'm sure my rF2 on Win10 is running full screen but I'll double check. Lots of reports of terrible frame rates with DX11 with only a few people stating the opposite. Good thing S397 have Discord open for one to one chats with the community.

Looking at selling my PSVR and getting into VR sim racing. Seems like the rift would be the way to go as it's cheaper and less intrusive to setup, do either have any particular advantage in sim racing?
I consider the Rift to be the better choice for sim racing. The Vive is better at room-scale, which is not particularly relevant to this genre. The Rift is more comfortable, better-supported across racing sims and achieves more consistent performance on lower spec hardware.

The Vive is brighter and has a slightly wider FOV, but I think these are outweighed by the Rift's sharpness in the centre of the lens (better for looking into the distance) and its clarity across the full diameter of the lens (it gets less blurry towards the edges). People go on about the wider FOV on Vive, but the fact is, neither headset has a good FOV for sim racing, and therefore having higher clarity is more important - for glancing at off-centre HUD elements in iRacing for instance. It is much easier for me to read my F3 box (which I place in the top right corner) on Rift with a glance, whereas I find myself turning my head towards the box when using the Vive in order to improve clarity.

Also I own dirt rally on steam, will that work on the rift? Not sure how that stuff works.
Yes it does. Dirt Rally is a prime example of delivering a better experience on Rift than Vive.

Incidentally, I recently updated my piece on VR racing sims here.

TheBear

Thanks for the reply Betta. Have you played Driveclub VR? When looking at the horizon everything was a blurry mess, is the rift in Pcars, iracing etc a significant improvement?

Thanks for the reply Betta. Have you played Driveclub VR? When looking at the horizon everything was a blurry mess, is the rift in Pcars, iracing etc a significant improvement?
Sadly I've never played it! But you can be sure that the Rift is a significant improvement, or at least has the potential to be. The PSVR hardware itself is actually very capable (arguably better than the Rift or Vive in terms of display quality), but it is restricted by PS4 performance. Clearly DriveClub's visuals had to be heavily paired back from the original game, so I strongly doubt it is delivering a render target that is comparable to what can be achieved on the PC. Plus, the arcade nature of the game doesn't lend itself well to a VR anyway, because the movement and handling is so unrealistic. You'll feel much more comfortable simply driving a game that has reasonably true-to-life physics, like any of the current PC sims. On top of that, the game runs at 60fps, whereas the Rift runs at 90fps, which would provide further distance clarity in motion. (A game I have spent a decent amount of time with on PSVR is EVE Valkyrie, which I've played on Rift and Vive too. This had the same framerate difference, and I'm quite certain the Rift and Vive versions look better as soon as any fast movement is involved).

On PC, there's so much more potential to get the most out of a VR headset, but you need a decent GPU if you want to experiment with higher render targets (supersampling) and more MSAA (very important for VR image quality), ideally a GTX 1070 or above.

If you try to run PCARS on minimum spec hardware, you might need to drop the visual quality to something approaching DriveClub VR levels before it starts hitting 90fps. It is extremely demanding.

TheBear

On PC, there's so much more potential to get the most out of a VR headset, but you need a decent GPU if you want to experiment with higher render targets (supersampling) and more MSAA (very important for VR image quality), ideally a GTX 1070 or above.

If you try to run PCARS on minimum spec hardware, you might need to drop the visual quality to something approaching DriveClub VR levels before it starts hitting 90fps. It is extremely demanding.

I have an i5 4xxx and a 1080, will that do the job?

Darkdeus

Yea with that 1080 you should be able to set the pixel density from 1.5-2.0 which helps a lot in sims. In iRacing and AC I can see the track very well with pixel density 2.0. It should be a big step up from the PS4 pro.

PCars runs like ass with the Vive on pretty much every rig, regardless of settings.

I've heard that disabling all reprojection improves things dramatically but...fuck that?

TheBear

Apologies it's actually a 1070 and i5 4570

Should still be ok right?

Also, Dirt Rally doesn't show up in the VR section on Steam, how do I get it running on the Rift?

VVV Mars VG

Driveclub stands alone when it comes to blur, the thinking behind this is that the development of the game was concluded long before the release of the final hardware which may have differed from early prototypes. Indeed the final hardware was far more impressive than anything I saw running on it in the years before launch.

Rift and Vive are better, but things are still difficult to see in the distance, the current resolution just isn't good enough.

TJP

Rift and Vive are better, but things are still difficult to see in the distance, the current resolution just isn't good enough.
I've just been listening to the AV Forums podcast and their man reckons the PSVR is better than the Vive.

Opinions are so subjective ;)

Alan, will we see any rF2 coverage on Team VVV's YT channel?

VVV Mars VG

I've just been listening to the AV Forums podcast and their man reckons the PSVR is better than the Vive.

Opinions are so subjective ;)

Alan, will we see any rF2 coverage on Team VVV's YT channel?

PSVR is decent but not even close to Vive because not only does the Vive have a wider field of view, the extra grunt from the PC improves resolution and the head-tracking is far superior. PSVR head-tracking lets is down and everyone comes off it with a hot flush even if they can deal with the nausea. Also the light bleed from the lower edges mean you have to sit in a darkened room, not to mention the lack of room-scale VR, need I go on.

You might do in the future, nothing this side of July, right now its all E3 prep and finishing off other planned bits'n pieces.

Apologies it's actually a 1070 and i5 4570

Should still be ok right?

Also, Dirt Rally doesn't show up in the VR section on Steam, how do I get it running on the Rift?
That i5 is slightly below the original min spec (i5 4590) for Rift and Vive. Oculus have since lowered their min spec, but this is due to the introduction of ASW - not ideal for racing sims. If you want to hold 90fps, then the original min spec is still relevant. But you're close enough, and the GPU is great, so it should just power through. However, PCARS and iRacing in particular seem to benefit from CPUs with higher clock speeds, so you have a bit of a weak link there.

The Steam version of Dirt Rally launches automatically on the Rift headset if it is plugged in.

TheBear

That i5 is slightly below the original min spec (i5 4590) for Rift and Vive. Oculus have since lowered their min spec, but this is due to the introduction of ASW - not ideal for racing sims. If you want to hold 90fps, then the original min spec is still relevant. But you're close enough, and the GPU is great, so it should just power through. However, PCARS and iRacing in particular seem to benefit from CPUs with higher clock speeds, so you have a bit of a weak link there.

The Steam version of Dirt Rally launches automatically on the Rift headset if it is plugged in.

Would it be worth over clocking my CPU? Would it make a meaningful difference in this instance?

Edit- it's not a K so can't OC.

TJP

And it's 1.7GB!

8/5/2017 : Build ID : 1807962
Content updates for the following tracks: Toban, Mores, Silverstone, Portugal, Indianapolis, Palm Beach, Mills Metro Park, Malaysia and the following cars: Karts, Corvette C6.R, Camaro GT3, AC 427SC and the Honda Civic.

We also updated the stable DX9 build with this content and you can find the new workshop items here (you need to subscribe to them): http://steamcommunity.com/id/studio-397/myworkshopfiles/?appid=365960&p=1&numperpage=30

Link to all DX11 upgraded Studio 397/ISI addo-ons: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/subscribe-to-the-latest-dx11-updated-content.55273/

Would it be worth over clocking my CPU? Would it make a meaningful difference in this instance?

Edit- it's not a K so can't OC.
Yeah that's unfortunate. iRacing shows clear gains from having a CPU well above 4.0GHz, although since its move to DX11 the massive gulf between min and max framerate has been reduced, and perhaps over time it will become more GPU dependant. But the next time you're considering a GPU upgrade you might need to think about a new CPU too.

TheBear

iRacing has offered me a 25% discount for 3 months. Is that a good deal? I feel like I got a year subscription for like $60 once

AxeMan

iRacing has offered me a 25% discount for 3 months. Is that a good deal? I feel like I got a year subscription for like $60 once

Who knows? Only you can answer that. Value is different for every person. I personally think it's slightly under priced at it's current full price sub, so with that in mind I'd say any discount is good

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Greetings gentlemen, quick question. Is anyone working on a version...or has there been released a version of any of the following tracks for rFactor 2:

Isle of Mann TT
Dundrod
Solitude
Rouen Les Essarts
Machwerk

........?

Patrick S.

Banned
Does anyone here play ProjectCARS with a Trackir or Freetrack? I was playing with Facetracknoir and the PS3 Eye, and everything was fine. I wanted to play again later, and now ProjectCARS crashes everytime if I have the Freetrack stuff running.

Edit: of course today it works fine. Thanks Obama.

TJP

Greetings gentlemen, quick question. Is anyone working on a version...or has there been released a version of any of the following tracks for rFactor 2:

Isle of Mann TT
Dundrod
Solitude
Rouen Les Essarts
Machwerk

........?

Isle of Mann: completed for rF and GPL. Not converted to rF2.
Dundrod:http://downloads.xtremefactor.es/en...ctor-2-dundrod-1950-sardian-heights-2004.html
Solitude: Available for all isimotor 2 Sims, not for rF2
Rouen: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rouen-les-essarts.8809/
Machwerk: Same as Solitude.

Database: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WiUJ5dgkL9MWsRkGN6r9EQ4F-CDErkOr6s0NJr0EyWQ/htmlview

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Isle of Mann: completed for rF and GPL. Not converted to rF2.
Dundrod:http://downloads.xtremefactor.es/en...ctor-2-dundrod-1950-sardian-heights-2004.html
Solitude: Available for all isimotor 2 Sims, not for rF2
Rouen: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rouen-les-essarts.8809/
Machwerk: Same as Solitude.

Database: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WiUJ5dgkL9MWsRkGN6r9EQ4F-CDErkOr6s0NJr0EyWQ/htmlview

Thank you TJP for your reply much appreciated. Two things....

1)The Dundrod link is not working. Can you please provide an alternative link?

2)What is this ISImotor 2 sim?

TJP

Thank you TJP for your reply much appreciated. Two things....

1)The Dundrod link is not working. Can you please provide an alternative link?
It worked for me ;) It's only 50MB so I don't believe it'll be a great looking mod.

Hope this link works: https://ufile.io/gtqfx

2)What is this ISImotor 2 sim?
Short answer is Everything SimBin/SMS made together (GTR, GTR 2, GTL) along with rFactor, AMS, Race07 + DLC and a bunch of other sims are running on isimotor 2. Some like RaceRoom use a modded version of isimotor with about 20% original ISI code is used in R3E. I believe SMS did something similar with NFS: Shift and Unleashed. isimotor can be broken to down into gMotor = Graphics engine and pMotor = physics engine.

rFactor 2 runs on isimotor 2.5 and is built off the knowledge gained with rFactor Pro (commercial grade simulation for F1, NASCAR and other racing teams). Only rF2 uses this engine.

You can read about ISI here: http://imagespaceinc.com/software.php

isamu

It worked for me ;) It's only 50MB so I don't believe it'll be a great looking mod.

Hope this link works: https://ufile.io/gtqfx

Short answer is Everything SimBin/SMS made together (GTR, GTR 2, GTL) along with rFactor, AMS, Race07 + DLC and a bunch of other sims are running on isimotor 2. Some like RaceRoom use a modded version of isimotor with about 20% original ISI code is used in R3E. I believe SMS did something similar with NFS: Shift and Unleashed. isimotor can be broken to down into gMotor = Graphics engine and pMotor = physics engine.

rFactor 2 runs on isimotor 2.5 and is built off the knowledge gained with rFactor Pro (commercial grade simulation for F1, NASCAR and other racing teams). Only rF2 uses this engine.

You can read about ISI here: http://imagespaceinc.com/software.php

Thank you good sir! :)

isamu

Has anyone tried the new 1955 mod for GPL?

TJP

Introducing "Ready To Race", our all-new DLC for Assetto Corsa, available for PC Steam on May 18, then in the near future on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. "Ready To Race" includes ten new cars from AUDI, Lotus, McLaren, Maserati and Toyota, providing the "most wanted" models ready to race!

Our all new RTR DLC provides a great variety of models that mix technology, power, history and design from Italy, Great Britain and Japan, resulting in a package designed to meet all your wishes!

CARS INCLUDED

Audi R8 LMS 2016
Audi R18 e-tron quattro
Audi TT Cup 2016
Audi TT VLN 2013
Lotus Eleven
Maserati MC12 GT1
McLaren 570S
McLaren P1 GTR
Toyota Celica ST185 Turbo
Toyota TS040 Hybrid
May 18th also sees the launch of Update v 1.14 on Steam. Check out just some of the changes you can expect below...

Added wind algorithm
Added AI Aggression selection
More AI differences within a single lap to generate more battles
Added AI wing setup variations
New AI algorithms for understeer detection and downshifting
Improved Downshift Protection
Updated Steam statistic reader to synchronize steam achievement
Stay tuned over the coming days for more info on these truly incredibly cars and our next major Steam update.

Full information: https://m.facebook.com/Assetto.Corsa/posts/1915188928507416

34575941676_54a598d772_h.jpg

Top Bottom