• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims Thread

ruttyboy

I disagreed with the PRC guys creating a livery using under age girls and gloating about it being allowed on RaceDepartment.

As for real grid girls, whatever. The WEC stance makes sense to me.

Oh right, I wondered if you were talking about the latter rather than the former. F1 seems to be going backwards if anything in this respect (progressiveness), with the red carpet line-up to honour whichever dictator they happen to be the guest of that week.

Also, Betta, if you're reading this, loving the Oval Office, although I'm still confused as I ever was what the hell oval racing is about.

Oh right, I wondered if you were talking about the latter rather than the former. F1 seems to be going backwards if anything in this respect (progressiveness), with the red carpet line-up to honour whichever dictator they happen to be the guest of that week.

Also, Betta, if you're reading this, loving the Oval Office, although I'm still confused as I ever was what the hell oval racing is about.

I think Betta will tell you the same thing, but oval racing makes a lot more sense once you've had a chance to do it yourself within a sim that does it well. NR2003 or iRacing basically. Everything else is not only a poor representation, but often very misleading.

There's a lot to learn about the driving, rules, etiquette, setups, etc. I think if you have an incomplete or simplified understanding of oval racing, it's hard to put the whole picture together.

That certainly applies to real life as well. If I had a dollar for every non-American who's said what I just saw Max Chilton say over the years, I'd be filthy rich!

That makes two of us! ;)

Haha glad you're enjoying it! It is a very unique form of racing, and as BT says, lots to learn. Without iRacing's spotter system and the excellent explanation it gives of the various rules 'on the fly' I'd be completely lost. It also helps to leave the mic chatter on - I can find it quite distracting on the road side if people keep talking, but on the ovals it's a very different vibe and feels like part of the fun. The arguments are entertaining, but it's mostly friendly chat and there's a lot of helpful tips being dished out from seasoned oval racers, often unintentionally.

Spookie

So after watching the recent RaceDepartment league race in GSCE got be craving a quick bash.

*40 minutes later*

This game needs more content! I forgot how damn good the FFB in those cars are.

Risgroo

Just pre-ordered F1 2015 on GMG. WHY.
BSFJsCo.gif

Megasoum

Banned
What is the worst it can happen when you preorder a game that doesn't have any gameplay footage available 32 days before launch?

Well to be fair, that's kinda the norm with the F1 titles because of the stupid license but yeah.... zero confidence in that game.

TJP

Who? Carn, we need controversy in this thread. We've had it nice in here for too long, with people playing more than one sim from different devs and actually enjoying more than one of them!
Indeed. Constructive criticism is always welcome in this thread; drive by horseshit posts and other such nonsense can and should be derided.

I started my career in pCARS with the karts - they are fucking awful whereas the Formula Rookie on the other hand is much nicer to drive. I really like the the graphics and sound effects; shame I haven't been able to use the presets I found in \pCars\Settings\PredefinedSettings.xml - anyone know how we use these presets?

So after watching the recent RaceDepartment league race in GSCE got be craving a quick bash.

*40 minutes later*

This game needs more content! I forgot how damn good the FFB in those cars are.
...but it's such an old looking ism and the tyre model isn't 'best in class' because its isiMotor 2...
/sarcasm
. GSC-E is a sublime experience; 'tis a shame more people haven't tried or bought it.

Megasoum

Banned
...but it's such an old looking ism and the tyre model isn't 'best in class' because its isiMotor 2...
/sarcasm
. GSC-E is a sublime experience; 'tis a shame more people haven't tried or bought it.

GSCE is great for sure... I really don't mind the old engine and the old graphics. The only thing that bugs me about its age is the fact it doesn't automatically adjust wheel rotation for each vehicle like you get in modern sims.

TJP

How are the pCARS karts compared to GSCE?
I much prefer the GSC-E karts. I don't have experience with tarmac karts, only 125cc dirt track karts :)

The only thing that bugs me about its age is the fact it doesn't automatically adjust wheel rotation for each vehicle like you get in modern sims.
Yep, it's a pain in the arse. That said, Sector3 got it sorted out and I'm sure the folks at Reiza will too.

TJP

Now this is a 'shots fired' article:) http://pretendracecars.net/2015/05/11/do-people-even-know-what-simcade-means/

GT6:
Pretend Racecars said:
GT6, as badly as it’ll make some of the PC elitists freak out when reading this, is definitely not simcade. With a wheel, this game is very close to Assetto Corsa with all of the driving aids turned off.
iRacing:
Pretend Racecars said:
Praised as the most accurate and most hardcore racing simulation available, iRacing’s tire behavior is behind even the “simcade” console franchise we discussed above. As someone who’s won championships on iRacing’s oval side here’s what it gets right: Nothing
DiRT Rally:
Pretend Racecars said:
DiRT Rally does a lot of things very well when it comes to rallying. So far, my only genuine complaint about the physics has been that the tarmac sections of the Monte Carlo stages are a bit too grippy. DiRT Rally is one of those games where people gotta learn to drop the simcade label just because the game doesn’t try to kill you every corner
Assetto Corsa:
Pretend Racecars said:
So what you’re seeing is guys who have never bothered to adjust the track settings from Optimal to something realistic, proceeding to go out and slaughter lap records and cry that Assetto Corsa is simcade. I highly doubt Ferrari and Dallara would let their high-tech in-house simulations be powered by anything other than a hardcore driving sim
Actually, Ferrari are using rFactor Pro for their simulation software..

Project CARS:
Pretend Racecars said:
I gotta hand it to them, I actually really enjoyed both the Radical SR8 and RUF RT 12 in Project CARS. The discrepancy between cold tires and warm tires was heavily exaggerated, and at some points the SR8 felt a little too on rails, but in the end I liked what I drove and it was comparable to how the same car drove in Race 07
R3E:
Pretend Racecars said:
You can tell who hasn’t played R3E or given it a fair shot, because they’re the first to say it’s simcade. R3E feels like Sector 3 tried to inject as much of their own code as possible into the aging gMotor2 engine to get their sim to feel like Assetto Corsa. Personally, I think they’ve succeeded, as the game not only runs well, but looks phenomenal and feels familiar, as if the gMotor2 engine has grown up since you’ve last messed with it. We’ve already went over that GT3 cars can be bought by just about anyone, I’m sure they don’t make ’em that difficult to drive, and as a result, you’re damn right they should be planted in a sim
Another correction to the article; R3E utilises the physics from isiMotor 2 (fettled/changed by Sector 3) and their own graphics engine.

Makikou

I'm pretty sure PRC is just a plain troll site nowadays. Gotta get those clicks and money i guess.

Not that it ever was too credible.

ruttyboy

I'm pretty sure PRC is just a plain troll site nowadays. Gotta get those clicks and money i guess.

Not that it ever was too credible.

I don't see it myself. Whoever writes it seems to have a constant opinion and most of the time it's hard to disagree with what they say.

As for his comments on GT6, he is absolutely right in that turning off all the assists makes it a totally different game. And by all, I mean all, ABS is not actually ABS in GT6, it has a stability control element to it which breaks the game, 'hardcore' simulation wise.

TJP

Did they write anything on GSC?
No mention at all; I believe the PCR guys really enjoy GSC-E although the karts were lacking realism according to one writer. Another of their writers is competing in Race Department's GSC-E league. I doubt anyone with a working brain would label GSC-E as a 'simcade' release.

JamboGT

To be honest I have always found Assetto Corsa and GT6 to be very similar, GT needs more work on the drivetrain simulation I feel, how shifts affect the car and stuff like that but it is pretty close for me.

Iracing is something which I don't have huge amounts of experience with but I have worked with someone who won the NASCAR championship and he is not a fan at all of it lately.

saladine1

To be honest I have always found Assetto Corsa and GT6 to be very similar, GT needs more work on the drivetrain simulation I feel, how shifts affect the car and stuff like that but it is pretty close for me.

Iracing is something which I don't have huge amounts of experience with but I have worked with someone who won the NASCAR championship and he is not a fan at all of it lately.

This, so much!

PD really need to simulate driveline flex. Loading just doesn't seem to be present and those damn shifts....something out of the 80's arcades..

Have the FFB issues with DiRT Rally been resolved? I'm holding back my purchase until then, but haven't seen anyone mention any update.
1) (G)SCE 4 stroke
2) rFactor 2
3) (G)SCE 2 stroke
4) pCars
BTW, I put these in order of fun. In terms of realism, the chassis flex in rF2 puts it at the top.

How's that Kart Racing Sim (sorry, can't remember the name) coming along? I suppose it's been Greenlit of Steam? (everything else seems to be)

Shaneus

Have the FFB issues with DiRT Rally been resolved? I'm holding back my purchase until then, but haven't seen anyone mention any update.
BTW, I put these in order of fun. In terms of realism, the chassis flex in rF2 puts it at the top.

How's that Kart Racing Sim (sorry, can't remember the name) coming along? I suppose it's been Greenlit of Steam? (everything else seems to be)
KartSim was done by an Aussie guy and last I heard it's been moved to UE3 (and looks worse for it, IMO), but that's it.

Niels has a new vid

Interesting comments about the rF2 tire model, but nothing you probably haven't heard before. He puts the nail in the coffin for Reiza on isiMotor 2.5. Not happening. I guess that means Reiza really are doing their own stuff from here on out. We know about the many of the physics/tire changes coming. We'll see if they have any major plans for the graphics engine.

If I'm ISI, I'm starting to get pretty nervous. Thanks, but no thanks isn't what they needed. That's a blow.

Btw, there's a real good interview with Renato in the new issue of Sim Racer. Highly recommended!

Shaneus

I suppose when they have their own thing nailed down so much with their current engine, they might as well customise even further to the point of doing their own thing completely rather than upgrade to someone else's product and customise further *again*.

I'll watch that video when I have a chance. But if I had to guess, if the Senna thing is still on the cards then they'll go with whatever their next significant upgrade is for that before anything else.

I'll watch that video when I have a chance. But if I had to guess, if the Senna thing is still on the cards then they'll go with whatever their next significant upgrade is for that before anything else.

In the Renato Simioni interview I mentioned in my last post, he all but says that's the plan.

--------------------

So much for the Suzuka license; meet GSC's Kansai Track! At least they didn't touch the layout.

Dat motion sickness tho! Is it always like that? I run such a low fov, I never see that much car.

Shaneus

Oh, so they never had Suzuka? I suppose when they mentioned it, it was only referring vaguely to the layout or something. Still not disappointed, dat free content.

markao

Niels has a new vid

Interesting comments about the rF2 tire model, but nothing you probably haven't heard before. He puts the nail in the coffin for Reiza on isiMotor 2.5. Not happening. I guess that means Reiza really are doing their own stuff from here on out. We know about the many of the physics/tire changes coming. We'll see if they have any major plans for the graphics engine.

If I'm ISI, I'm starting to get pretty nervous. Thanks, but no thanks isn't what they needed. That's a blow.

Btw, there's a real good interview with Renato in the new issue of Sim Racer. Highly recommended!
it's getting a bit old, to hear that same camera story, feels a bit to "defensive".

I still remember the first time Niels starting asking questions about the gMotor physics engine/files on the old RSC forums and how he bit by bit started to get a grip on it and releasing his first tweaks, alternative files and later his own mods. So I do understand by now, so many years later, that his knowledge of what and how to get something feeling good out of that engine means he would have to start from almost scratch again, but seriously wish he/they (Reiza) would.

Because for me those gMotor sims never feel as dynamic as some of the cars in the next generation of "real time" physics engines (iRacing/RF2/pCARS/AC). You never get the feeling of a tire working under heavy load (braking/accel./cornering), it always feels "smooth' as if you drive on a "curve".

Do agree with him that there still is a lot of time needed to fully understand how get the best out of those new engines. The difference between different cars in the same sim, or even same cars on different tires, is sometimes huge, but when they do work it is enough for me to not want to get back to older generating engine sims.

It might be difficult to work with the new camera, specially when you have not read the manual, but you can take pictures with them that wouldn't be possible on your old one ;)

How much should i be spending to buy a new Logitech G27 wheel set? I see the prices have dropped recently, but are these prices the best seen historically?

VVV Mars VG

Alan from VVV is far too polite to ask for donations, so I will ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p-TGXMNvA

If you enjoy Alan's coverage, feel free to help out with a donation via his Patreon page. Alan works his arse off and is essentially a one man band - the videos he makes take a shedload of time to be granted access, record, edit and upload.

The minimum is just $1 a month and you can pledge up to $175! More info here: https://www.patreon.com/user.php?v=TeamVVV

Thanks TJP, really appreciate the mention. Been a back breaking few weeks of editing, we've also doubled the news output on the website and working on lots of community features. Talking of which, its free to create a blog on the site we'd love to get some sim racers on there.

markao

How much should i be spending to buy a new Logitech G27 wheel set? I see the prices have dropped recently, but are these prices the best seen historically?
I don't know were you live (current $/€ value might have had an influence), but this is an historic price graph in my country (Netherlands €).

Tweakers.net G27 (bottom page)

it's getting a bit old, to hear that same camera story, feels a bit to "defensive".

I still remember the first time Niels starting asking questions about the gMotor physics engine/files on the old RSC forums and how he bit by bit started to get a grip on it and releasing his first tweaks, alternative files and later his own mods. So I do understand by now, so many years later, that his knowledge of what and how to get something feeling good out of that engine means he would have to start from almost scratch again, but seriously wish he/they (Reiza) would.

Because for me those gMotor sims never feel as dynamic as some of the cars in the next generation of "real time" physics engines (iRacing/RF2/pCARS/AC). You never get the feeling of a tire working under heavy load (braking/accel./cornering), it always feels "smooth' as if you drive on a "curve".

Do agree with him that there still is a lot of time needed to fully understand how get the best out of those new engines. The difference between different cars in the same sim, or even same cars on different tires, is sometimes huge, but when they do work it is enough for me to not want to get back to older generating engine sims.

It might be difficult to work with the new camera, specially when you have not read the manual, but you can take pictures with them that wouldn't be possible on your old one ;)

Yeah, I can certainly understand that sentiment. Especially when he shrugs it off with the "old dog, new tricks" line which I've heard him say before. I do wish he showed more interest just for interest's sake.

I like and agree with your "on a curve" assessment though. We'll see what happens with their own RealRoad tech, and tire improvements. Perhaps if they can keep up on features, it'll be easier to overlook that special sauce you may get from realtime calcs.

It's taken a lot of really smart people a lot of time to get their tire model situated. If he's not up for that fight, I can at least see why. It's a huge pain in the ass!

Megasoum

Banned
Wasn't there a reason to do that with old racing transmissions or something? I thought I read about that somewhere... But then again you guys have a lot more experience with that stuff than I do.

fresquito

Hi there. I'm new to the setup world as I'm learning the basics right now. I have a doubt about what order I should be following when doing setups.

Is there any particular order that I should be following or is it down to preference or car?

Wasn't there a reason to do that with old racing transmissions or something?
I'm not sure what you mean? You wouldn't want to downshift like that in reality, i.e clutch disengaged, banging through the gears - as marvelharvery says, he appears to have an autoblip enabled, and he's not re-engaging the clutch after each shift. Pretty sure an F1 car of this era would benefit from (or even require) good heel&toe technique for downshifting.

Hi there. I'm new to the setup world as I'm learning the basics right now. I have a doubt about what order I should be following when doing setups.

Is there any particular order that I should be following or is it down to preference or car?
Hi! I'd say the order is not that important, only that whatever you choose to adjust is part of a methodical process, i.e. only changing one value each time before testing. It can be frustrating as that one element will impact many other things, so can give mixed messages as to what is really happening. Springs and dampers seem to be the worst for this, so I tend to leave them until last (or simply don't touch them at all!). I usually experiment with tyre pressure first, followed by anti-roll bars and brake balance (plus wings depending on the car)... camber adjustments can transform the feel of a car too, but I try not to mess with them too much as it opens up a whole new set of problems...

I'm not a setup expert - I prefer to adjust my driving to suit the car. A car has to feel really horrible or seem way off the pace to prompt me to dig into the setup deeper than PSI/ARB/BB - I'm usually comfortable enough after a few clicks through these.

Top Bottom