• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

mclaren777

A new one-man project just popped up on my radar called RallySim and I think the physics look really good.

Website

rallysim.gif

mclaren777

The latest issue of AutoSimSport has a great interview with Ian Bell and an interesting look at the development of rFactor 2 and Project CARS.

Link to PDF

imSp8N9KWoiIG.jpg

It also has a great look at Assetto Corsa, which seems to be progressing nicely given the recent screenshots.

Assetto Corsa Thread

iNlT2f8zrEBrE.jpg

Shaneus

I didn't realise that one of the guys from Papyrus was behind iRacing. I'll have to give it another look.

That was the monthly fee one, yeah? Makes it far less appealing.

I didn't realise that one of the guys from Papyrus was behind iRacing. I'll have to give it another look.

That was the monthly fee one, yeah? Makes it far less appealing.

It's the best sim on the market. While you might not want to pay for it over the long haul, it's without question worth 12 bucks to try it for three months. Use the content they give you for free, and have fun with it.

iRacing OT

Arucardo

Awesome, had another 3 months for 9usd offer in my email for iRacing from Feb and it still worked :D . Not that expensive of a sim when you take breaks between your subscriptions, they seem to send me one of those offers every now and then.

Ofc buying cars and tracks can get expensive, I've only bought one or two cars and a track or two.

Shaneus

Just signing up now. Hopefully race times are friendly for Australians!

Is the 3 for 1 deal a regular thing that existing subscribers can use? Because three month blocks are ideal but I doubt my ability to come back if it's almost always $12/month.

Arucardo

Is the 3 for 1 deal a regular thing that existing subscribers can use? Because three month blocks are ideal but I doubt my ability to come back if it's almost always $12/month.

The 3 for 1 offers you find on the web aren't but they've sent me an email with a $9 for 3 months offer a few times now, I guess you have to let your subscription run out for some time first though.

Frawdder

Most series have official races going on at reasonable Aussie times. Especially starting out, the MX-5 always goes official as does the Skip Barber in the D Class and the Star Mazda in C Class. A good way to find out the best time to race a series is to click on the 'Results' link underneath where you select a series to race because it shows you which races went official.

The 3 for 1 deal is usually only for new members but iRacing do sometimes have specials for existing members. Also, once you hit D Class racing you earn credits you can use to either buy content or extend your subscription. Just the other day I got $5 credit for being a member for a full year. If you can afford it, iRacing is great but I can understand why people get turned away, it does get expensive once you start buying all the content.

spicy cho

I've been playing iracing on and off for a few weeks and the system is great, so is the racing. I don't know if I'll stay subbed after my three months expires but I definitely see the value in it, nothing else is as good for multiplayer.

Arucardo

iRacing is the one sim that makes me realize how much I could use a load cell break pedal. The MX 5 loses the rear end surprisingly easy under breaking, if I could tune it I'd probably increase the front end stiffness a little to lessen the rear to front weight transfer. Not sure if I'll go for a separate load cell brake for the G25 pedals or sell the G25 set and get the Fanatec CSR elite pedals.

Shawsie64

Banned
iRacing is the one sim that makes me realize how much I could use a load cell break pedal. The MX 5 loses the rear end surprisingly easy under breaking, if I could tune it I'd probably increase the front end stiffness a little to lessen the rear to front weight transfer. Not sure if I'll go for a separate load cell brake for the G25 pedals or sell the G25 set and get the Fanatec CSR elite pedals.

I've got a T500 myself and there's a mod in the working for a load cell for the pedals.. Hes sending out beta versions to a few testers at the moment so cant wait to jump on the load cell wagon

Shaneus

I've only just realised that now I have a G27, I'm now open to all these mods. Any recommendations for quick and/or cheap but effective ones for me to try?

1-D_FTW

$75 and it sounds pretty good based on this video.

http://www.apelectrix.com

iHAsbFyUo7bKL.jpg

Interesting. I was driving for too long before I actually used a FFB wheel and I suck at the game brakes for this reasons. Well, that and not being able to feel the Gs in turns. But I have absolutely zero finesse with braking in games and this looks like a great/cheap way to get it to behave more naturally.

So I'm assuming you could set calibration defaults in all games? Even arcade racers like the Dirt series and stuff?

Shaneus

Yeah, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just stretch the top half a little bit and tighten the bottom by a whole lot. If they are standard spring sizes (I don't know if there is such a thing :/) I might just buy something tomorrow and have a play.

The loadcell pedal does seem to be like a bit of a revolution though. I still don't think it is cheap but compared to what's on the market it's probably the 'to go' hardware to improve feel and performance. The sprung braking pedal is the only thing that really stands in the way of me really enjoying driving games with a wheel.

Arucardo

Yeah, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just stretch the top half a little bit and tighten the bottom by a whole lot. If they are standard spring sizes (I don't know if there is such a thing :/) I might just buy something tomorrow and have a play.

You know that's going to void your warranty :p .

Bought the Williams F1 car for iRacing and man, that car is AWESOME. Spent 3 hours just lapping Laguna Seca in practice sessions. What a great car, you think you've reached the limit of the car, then when you try going even faster through a corner it doesn't even flinch. I realize that this is because of the bigger downforce generated by higher speeds but man, it still manages to surprise me.

I highly recommend this car, well worth the 12usd imo.

Shaneus

You know that's going to void your warranty :p .
Well yeah, anything more than a squash ball is going to ;)

But I just realised, that GTEYE spring is actually made by a guy in Melbourne (ie. an hour's drive away). Will order now with the knowledge it would be at my doorstep within the space of a day or two :D

1-D_FTW

You wouldn't get the same effect because this aftermarket spring has variable rates.

Well, I'm more interested in the load cell mod anyways. I need to load up some arcade racing games and make sure there's actual calibration settings in them before I make a pre-order though.

So im loving Project CARS atm. But I seriously think im playing without breaks lol. Im using the Force GT wheel, but will only detect as a "Force" wheel, I change it to Force GT and its a no go. Anybody know of any issues with this?

AcridMeat

Banned
One of us, one of us, one of us.
PKpQy.jpg

Considering I did one lap of the track before the race, happy with how I did. I was holding 1st for a while but I think that was the guy who won was toying with me as he seemed to stop at one point.

edit: The guy who disconnected was the one who slowed down. The blue must have been in a crash early on.

So I thought I'd go back to GTR Evo... tried installing through Steam, forgot that it needed Race 07, so I downloaded that too. Got an error message saying 'race_steam 1.2.1.10 has crashed'. Tried verifying the files, uninstalling, removing all the remaining Race 07 data in the Steam folder, and just downloading Race 07 again without GTR Evo... same message. :(

I'm not the only one with this problem, but most people seem to be saying that a fresh install works. I just did that and it's still not working. I don't fancy downloading 2.6GB for a third time...

Anyone got any advice? Or should I just give up and try a different game? I'm waiting for rFactor 2 really, looking for some good online races to fill the gap... but it seems silly to invest in rFactor 1 right now...

Orgun

So I thought I'd go back to GTR Evo... tried installing through Steam, forgot that it needed Race 07, so I downloaded that too. Got an error message saying 'race_steam 1.2.1.10 has crashed'. Tried verifying the files, uninstalling, removing all the remaining Race 07 data in the Steam folder, and just downloading Race 07 again without GTR Evo... same message. :(

I'm not the only one with this problem, but most people seem to be saying that a fresh install works. I just did that and it's still not working. I don't fancy downloading 2.6GB for a third time...

Anyone got any advice? Or should I just give up and try a different game? I'm waiting for rFactor 2 really, looking for some good online races to fill the gap... but it seems silly to invest in rFactor 1 right now...

You know you can get that right now, right? :)

No idea about the other stuff, never played a GTR game

Oh... I thought it was rather unfinished? Is it worth getting right now? I'm happy to wait for the finished product... although I guess the nature of rFactor means that it's never really finished... but I'm already bored of the CARS development. I want shiny finished products dammit!

Orgun

Oh... I thought it was rather unfinished? Is it worth getting right now? I'm happy to wait for the finished product... although I guess the nature of rFactor means that it's never really finished... but I'm already bored of the CARS development. I want shiny finished products dammit!

No idea, I've not picked it up. :)

I'm currently just playing CARS and iRacing...mostly iRacing, infact I haven't loaded up CARS in about two weeks.

Hmm. I'm unsure about iRacing - the three month offer is okay but there's no monster cars to play with... and I don't want to invest in other cars unless I'm gonna stick with it, which seems unlikely as rFactor 2 seems far more appealing.

mclaren777

Oh... I thought it was rather unfinished? ... I want shiny finished products dammit!

I wouldn't recommend rF2 in its current state if you want a "shiny finished product". It's still far from being perfect and it still needs another batch of official content before someone like yourself would enjoy it.

mclaren777

I feel like I should mention something in this thread about Automaniax, that super-secret game that SMS is allegedly making.

It's a full simulation game in development with Porsche and they plan on picking up other makes and licenses. It's supposed to be a continually expanding online racing community (according to one of the devs).

I was at the new Porsche boxster launch this week and they had 4 sim units set up. Was very nice and felt very good, very realistic, amazing sounds and great models. The only car available was the GT3 cup and it was on Hockenheim but I was very impressed.

The race had 24 cars on track at once and the graphics were quite good.

Going to keep an eye on this, supposedly it will be free to play and include online multiplayer, clubs, different classes and events, series racing, and all sorts of community elements.

Source

iQliqk1FB7B3W.png

I wouldn't recommend rF2 in its current state if you want a "shiny finished product". It's still far from being perfect and it still needs another batch of official content before someone like yourself would enjoy it.
Yeah. So... what to do... Race 07 refuses to work... I guess I've gotta try iRacing...

mclaren777

Yeah. So... what to do... Race 07 refuses to work... I guess I've gotta try iRacing...

Richard Burns Rally and netKar Pro are also worth considering.

Also, the DVD version of rFactor is only $20 and I think it's the best bang-for-your-buck in sim racing.

For around £100 you could pick up the Fanatec Carerra pack.

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_e...id=66&osCsid=ffb55a777dff75b918ff559d24e75b00

btw, anyone installed the latest Fanatec 737 firmware? I did it earlier but have lost the use of the shifter, calibrated it on the wheel but the driver control panel and LFS doesn't see it anymore.

edit: must be a driver problem because the shifter is working in G25 mode and on Forza.

So all these years all my PC racing sim time was with friends PC´s and low end machines without videocards.

Now that i finally have an awesome computer, i´m getting all my favorites for proper enjoyment.

I think some of the things on those games are brilliant, i just wish, in an ideal world, that this great content was packed with a game, like GT and Forza do.

Nothing beats community mods, and playing Nascar 2003 with the 2012 mod is gold.

I´m expecting a lot of great things from rFactor 2, specially the SuperGT mod.

Does anyone know how to make Network Q rally work on a windows 7 64 bit?

I love this game to death, and back in the day, it was just an example of "things i´ll never play on a console".

30 minute rally stages with weather and mechanical problems :)))))

Arucardo

So all these years all my PC racing sim time was with friends PC´s and low end machines without videocards.

Now that i finally have an awesome computer, i´m getting all my favorites for proper enjoyment.

I think some of the things on those games are brilliant, i just wish, in an ideal world, that this great content was packed with a game, like GT and Forza do.

Nothing beats community mods, and playing Nascar 2003 with the 2012 mod is gold.

I´m expecting a lot of great things from rFactor 2, specially the SuperGT mod.

Does anyone know how to make Network Q rally work on a windows 7 64 bit?

I love this game to death, and back in the day, it was just an example of "things i´ll never play on a console".

30 minute rally stages with weather and mechanical problems :)))))

I only knew it as Rally Championship growing up but I played the hell out of this game :D .

Got a question about the AP Electrix load cell, does it still work as intended when connecting through a Fanatec wheel? I would imagine that it does since it still works with the G25/27. From what I understood the bodner cable is just for getting higher resolution and having the pedals as a separate device.

amar212

I feel like I should mention something in this thread about Automaniax, that super-secret game that SMS is allegedly making.

iQliqk1FB7B3W.png

Here is why I got in the email:

Thank you for signing up for Automaniax!

We will shortly release the closed BETA-Version of automaniax.com (about end of April) , which provides a new race experience online.
With real cars, real tracks,and real motorsports. And that for free. We would be happy, if you take part in this community and race experience.
We will release more details to you shortly before the release, so that you are one of the first who can check out this experience.
Hopefully we see soon on automaniax.com

Thank you very much
The Automaniax Team

spicy cho

I won my first iracing race in the mazda cup the other day, it was a blast. I didn't qualify beforehand but not too many did either so I started about 7th or 8th on the grid and worked my way to the top by the second lap just overtaking people who were slower or screwing up, and I did so pretty cleanly. I only had minor contact when I saw an opportunity to pass the cars in the front of the pack and didn't ruin anyone's race, and from there on it was smooth sailing for 25 laps. I was surprised no one was able to catch me because my pace was nothing special, but I guess I was matched to players who weren't that amazing. Proud moment all the same, what a blast. I think what led to my success was that I didn't do any practice sessions before the race, I just did the pre race warmup so I was fresh and able to focus, making it a lot easier to finish the race without screwing up like I usually did.

I only knew it as Rally Championship growing up but I played the hell out of this game :D .

Got a question about the AP Electrix load cell, does it still work as intended when connecting through a Fanatec wheel? I would imagine that it does since it still works with the G25/27. From what I understood the bodner cable is just for getting higher resolution and having the pedals as a separate device.

Rally Championship is the one also called Mobil 1 Rally, which at the time came out for the PSone but it was garbage for the consoles.

Great game on the PC, i have it, and it also has very long stages.

Arucardo

Rally Championship is the one also called Mobil 1 Rally, which at the time came out for the PSone but it was garbage for the consoles.

Great game on the PC, i have it, and it also has very long stages.

Never played the console version or the V-Rally console games, grew up with PC gaming (glad I did) from '94 and onwards.

Top Bottom