• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Shaneus

Got the GTEYE the day after it was posted, installed that night, is fucking AWESOME. Makes such a difference in controlling how much brake is applied. Driving lines have improved tenfold.

1-D_FTW

Got the GTEYE the day after it was posted, installed that night, is fucking AWESOME. Makes such a difference in controlling how much brake is applied. Driving lines have improved tenfold.

Hmm.

Is there any review site that compares the apelectrix and the GTEYE? Is the apelectrix really that much better? It seems like the GTEYE kind of is a "load cell", just in a low-tech and analog way. Plus it has better compatibility. I noticed with the apelectrix, you have to rewire differently depending on if you're using it for PC or PS3.

Shaneus

Hmm.

Is there any review site that compares the apelectrix and the GTEYE? Is the apelectrix really that much better? It seems like the GTEYE kind of is a "load cell", just in a low-tech and analog way. Plus it has better compatibility. I noticed with the apelectrix, you have to rewire differently depending on if you're using it for PC or PS3.

Your entire post went right over the top of my head. I only bought GTEYE because it's a single spring and not too complicated to install and cheap. I wasn't going to go overboard ;)

The fact that the guy is in Melbourne, hence delivered overnight on regular shipping, was the deciding factor pretty much.

1-D_FTW

Your entire post went right over the top of my head. I only bought GTEYE because it's a single spring and not too complicated to install and cheap. I wasn't going to go overboard ;)

The fact that the guy is in Melbourne, hence delivered overnight on regular shipping, was the deciding factor pretty much.

No. I was wondering if I formatted that badly. I really only meant "Hmm, interesting" for your quote. The second paragraph was a general question that I was asking. Wasn't expecting you to know that:)

mclaren777

Would you like to test one of these?

Link

fanatec2.gif

KillerAJD

Wooo! Won my first race last night at the Charlotte Legend Oval in the Street Stocks. I know most of you are more interested in road stuff, but the guy who bought me a sub (for building him a rig) races mainly oval stuff so I've been sticking with him for now. That track is nuts though. You are constantly hammering on the breaks, and any throttle adjustment in the turns whips the car around. It's more work keeping the car going forward then getting around people, especially if you're trying to break away from people behind you. Too bad the DFGT pedals are such crap though. I'm having trouble in some of the oval stuff and all of the road stuff with locking up the breaks because the pedals have no resistance to them. It might not seem like much, but I'm getting more and more competitive, and those few extra tenths make a pretty large difference. Having a lot of fun with it though. I might buy a lower class open wheel car (the mazda and the skip barber cars look decent), but I don't have enough of the tracks to run a season in that stuff unfortunately.

Arucardo

Wooo! Won my first race last night at the Charlotte Legend Oval in the Street Stocks. I know most of you are more interested in road stuff, but the guy who bought me a sub (for building him a rig) races mainly oval stuff so I've been sticking with him for now. That track is nuts though. You are constantly hammering on the breaks, and any throttle adjustment in the turns whips the car around. It's more work keeping the car going forward then getting around people, especially if you're trying to break away from people behind you. Too bad the DFGT pedals are such crap though. I'm having trouble in some of the oval stuff and all of the road stuff with locking up the breaks because the pedals have no resistance to them. It might not seem like much, but I'm getting more and more competitive, and those few extra tenths make a pretty large difference. Having a lot of fun with it though. I might buy a lower class open wheel car (the mazda and the skip barber cars look decent), but I don't have enough of the tracks to run a season in that stuff unfortunately.

Try putting a rubber ball or something similar behind the brake pedal.

AcridMeat

Banned

Won my first race last night too! Sticking with the Mazda cup stuff at the moment. However with that said, I'm still only around 2.74 or so. :(

I'm having a real problem with people running into the back of me at starts and having it put me at fault. I'm keeping a very tight line and making sure to not stray towards people.

edit: 2.71 :C

Shaneus

Man, I should start *racing*. Like I said, I've only just been dicking around with performance and settings up to now.

AcridMeat

Banned
Update of the races tonight. First, a wash of a race but a V8 Supercar driver was in it! (Nick Percat).
yFvnr.jpg

Immediately wanted to redeem myself, and did so! Blew my previous fastest lap out of the water.
uP7Oc.jpg

Was chasing 1st the entire time, was intense as hell for 20 laps.

Polyphony

You don't happen to be Caio are you...? I keep racing that guy late at night lol.
Just won my first Mazda Cup race with a 59:826 fastest lap and 1:00:897 average. Even with minimal lead changes, these races are SO exciting!

Arucardo

You don't happen to be Caio are you...? I keep racing that guy late at night lol.
Just won my first Mazda Cup race with a 59:826 fastest lap and 1:00:897 average. Even with minimal lead changes, these races are SO exciting!

I always get a huge adrenaline rush at the start of a serious race, I calm down after a few laps though.

AcridMeat

Banned

No I'm Peter, add me! I only have Orgun so far.

Orgun

Wow, a 59 second lap. Think the best I ever did was 1.00:6xx then I got bored of that track...seriously, I hate Okayama Short with every fibre in my body!

edit: Wait, I see it's on LimeRock now. Nevermind :)

mclaren777

Why doesn't Assetto Corsa seem to get much love here on GAF? Is it because few of you have played netKar Pro? Does it just seem too obscure to care about until release? Possibly something else?

Dedicated Thread

ineGW5HBrdDfY.jpg

1-D_FTW

Why doesn't Assetto Corsa seem to get much love here on GAF? Is it because few of you have played netKar Pro? Does it just seem too obscure to care about until release? Possibly something else?

Dedicated Thread

Because I haven't played netKar. So I have no vested interest in what they're doing next. And since it's not out now, there's no reason for me to get excited about it.

But, with their alleged pedigree, and the announcement of the Lotus 49, it's definitely something I'll watch for in the future.

_machine

Not that much to talk about yet, I guess. It's my second most anticipated sim and most of the screens look fantastic, but that's pretty much all we've got so far. A video or a couple wouldn't hurt and I'd like to see some more cars announced too. Laser-scanned Imola sounds like heaven though.

E: And I've never tried netKar Pro, though I've heard lots of praise for it.

scogoth

Dedicated Thread

ineGW5HBrdDfY.jpg

3rd one. I want to be able to play it. Thats what I like about C.A.R.S even though the current build is pretty limited in terms of car and track variety.

I'm super excited about AC because the screenshots so far look gorgeous

TJP

Most people never played NetKar Pro or FVA and many here are too enamoured with the graphical splender of CARS. One could say the same about Game Stock Car which features fantastic FFB and physics plus free car and track updates yet never gets a mention and rarely gets above 10 comments on websites such as VirtualR.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on Assetto Corsa (and GTR 3) but without an alpha or beta to play, looking at build screens only goes so far.

Longshot

So I'm looking for a new PC racing sim but I don't know where to start, I'm really after interesting cars and some nice driving physics.

Opinions?

Arucardo

So I'm looking for a new PC racing sim but I don't know where to start, I'm really after interesting cars and some nice driving physics.

Opinions?

Honestly, I would gladly recommend iRacing if you're not completely new to driving sims. The three months for one deal is a good way to get an idea what it's like. They'll be adding a new free car too starting next month (a 500+ hp Cadillac CTS-V).

If you want the most value for your money there's nothing better than rFactor on PC right now. The Historic GT & Touring Cars mod alone makes it well worth while, but unfortunately that mod also requires a valid GT Legends dvd or a digital copy (also a great racing sim by Simbin).

Shaneus

Can any of the old rFactor stuff be (easily) used in the beta for rFactor2? Keep in mind I'm a total newbie to the rFactor series.

Arucardo

Can any of the old rFactor stuff be (easily) used in the beta for rFactor2? Keep in mind I'm a total newbie to the rFactor series.

Nope, sorry. Someone has to convert the car/track for rF2. I hope they don't make the converting too easy, since then rF2 would get flooded by stuff that's not exactly up to rF2's standard/quality level. I'm sure many of the original rF modders will come out of the woodworks when 2 is out, I'm especially looking forward to Historix team's Hitoric GT & Touring cars 2.0 mod (they said it won't need a GTL disc anymore).

There's some good stuff out there now like the Virtua_LM Mid Ohio track (it's a track for original rF but the level of quality is way above the average)

Although, I'm sure the cream of the crop from original rF will get converted/upgraded to rF2 when it's out of beta if not before.

EDIT: Virtua_LM seems to have also released Fuji Speedway now, gotta try this out myself at some point.

Shaneus

BTW that GTEYE is SO GOOD. Replaced that spring in my brake, put the old brake spring in the clutch and the clutch spring in accelerator. So much of a fucking difference, it's amazing.

1-D_FTW

BTW that GTEYE is SO GOOD. Replaced that spring in my brake, put the old brake spring in the clutch and the clutch spring in accelerator. So much of a fucking difference, it's amazing.

Never thought of that. That is a good idea. Sold. Going to order right now.

I'm hesitant on the apelctrix, but 30 dollars for a spring sounds a lot better when you're improving all three.

bee

nixim brake mod clone, did mine about 2 years ago along with bodnar cable, i found the cable provides much smoother throttle application for exiting corners and the brake spring mod almost completely eliminates brake locking. both mods cost me a total of about £42 and completely transform the pedals, so much so that i feel no need whatsoever to get a set of clubsports, wish thrustmaster sold the t500 on its own with no pedals :(

1-D_FTW

nixim brake mod clone, did mine about 2 years ago along with bodnar cable, i found the cable provides much smoother throttle application for exiting corners and the brake spring mod almost completely eliminates brake locking. both mods cost me a total of about £42 and completely transform the pedals, so much so that i feel no need whatsoever to get a set of clubsports, wish thrustmaster sold the t500 on its own with no pedals :(

:( For a couple dollars more, I could have ordered that and gotten a two-stage clutch spring with it (Plus whatever that buffer thing does with the gas pedal).

Probably would have arrived quicker too. Oh, well. Too late now.

EDIT: Just watched the ISR reveiw on those. They don't like the clutch spring and the buffer thing is just an eraser I could add myself. So I guess it didn't really matter where I ordered from.

saladine1

I'm sorry this is a little off topic but maybe someone here can help me.

I remember playing a drag racing game long ago that featured a very detailed tuning process. Things like carby jet sizing/flow rates choices, alcohol fuel choice, transmission options..etc
I don't know if it was a NHRA or IHRA game. Just can't seem to remember the name.
Please help!

Arucardo

I'm sorry this is a little off topic but maybe someone here can help me.

I remember playing a drag racing game long ago that featured a very detailed tuning process. Things like carby jet sizing/flow rates choices, alcohol fuel choice, transmission options..etc
I don't know if it was a NHRA or IHRA game. Just can't seem to remember the name.
Please help!

Top Fuel Thunder? I remember another old pc drag racing game too but can't recall the name...

mclaren777

Opinions?

Try the beta for rFactor and see if it floats your boat. Otherwise, there are softercore and hardercore options to consider, but rFactor is a great place to start.

Link to rFactor beta

Virtua_LM seems to have also released Fuji Speedway now, gotta try this out myself at some point.

I really hate Fuji as a track and that mod isn't really up to Virtua_LM's typical standard (they only helped with it).

Shaneus

Yeah, it's actually the guy who made it who suggested it. Because they're linear springs, they can be put in any of the pedals. After a bit I first thought of changing them back, but even though they'd be easier on your feet they'd actually be harder to use as a regulated input.

I do like (and appreciate) that the guy making them suggested this and didn't just make springs for the other pedals like the other dudes. Not saying they did it to cash in, but GTEYE used some nous to win over some extra people by offering a simpler DIY solution without resorting to extra parts.

Bonus that he's a Melbourne guy and I essentially got it delivered overnight :D If you're looking, I think they're only sold on eBay at the moment.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'd say look into the Simbin games as well. I played on a 360 controller for a while before getting a wheel and enjoyed myself.

Piggus

So.... Fanatec Forza CSR or Logitech G27? Leaning towards the Fanatec for the belt drive and because it works on 360. Already have a Logitech DFGT. Would I be seeing a pretty big difference in smoothness and overall realism by going with the Fanatec?

These are probably pretty dumb questions but I'm new to this. :p

Arucardo

So.... Fanatec Forza CSR or Logitech G27? Leaning towards the Fanatec for the belt drive and because it works on 360. Already have a Logitech DFGT. Would I be seeing a pretty big difference in smoothness and overall realism by going with the Fanatec?

These are probably pretty dumb questions but I'm new to this. :p

I'd go with Fanatec, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself over it when the next Forza comes out ;) .

And the belt drive is so much better than a gear driven wheel imo. I had a G25 before getting a PWTS and I haven't touched the G25 since.

Piggus

I'd go with Fanatec, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself over it when the next Forza comes out ;) .

And the belt drive is so much better than a gear driven wheel imo. I had a G25 before getting a PWTS and I haven't touched the G25 since.

Thanks. :)

I actually have two DFGTs so I'm going to sell one of them to help pay for the Fanatec.

And yeah, the only thing keeping me from getting Forza 4 is the limited wheel support. Can't wait to try it out again.

Top Bottom