• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

1-D_FTW

That worked a treat, cheers!

Having some problems with RealFeel now, I remember why I dumped PC sims a long time ago.

Rfactor is in a league of its own when it comes to that stuff. No game even comes close to being so high maintenance. So if you can hack the management of running rfactor, no other racing game will come close to giving you issues.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is it really that easy to mod my G27's pedals with GTEYE?
Bear in mind I absolutely, totally suck at anything DYU. Are the improvements that noticeable? Because the idea of it sounds like everything I wanted from the G27 out of the box.

Shaneus

Is it really that easy to mod my G27's pedals with GTEYE?
Bear in mind I absolutely, totally suck at anything DYU. Are the improvements that noticeable? Because the idea of it sounds like everything I wanted from the G27 out of the box.
Yeah, it really is quite easy. Make sure you do have the right size hex thingy though, because I used a torx screwdriver that was the right size but because it wasn't right-angled, there was a lot of fuffing about getting access to the screws. But if you like, I can email you the instructions the dude sent to me in case you wanted to have a look beforehand. PM if you're keen, obv.

Longshot

Are there any good rally racing type sims? I always liked DiRT but I think it's a bit 'arcadey' for me.

Trying to decide on which racing game I want to play is hard. :(

Got it working late last night, Leo's FFB was reversed and Real Feel was ok, I had to go get another keyboard because Ctrl + 8 wasn't working.

The car is fantastic, only real downside is after adjusting my seating position and FoV it's screwed up for every other vehicle.

derwalde

i hope this is the right thread for this kind of questions. anyway: im a huge fan of test drive unlimited, so is TDU2 worth the money? i dont need online play, so i would be happy if part 2 provides more of the same gameplay with better graphics. are the driving physics the same compared to TDU1? how is the performance (im sitting on a 6950)?

thanks in advance.

1-D_FTW

i hope this is the right thread for this kind of questions. anyway: im a huge fan of test drive unlimited, so is TDU2 worth the money? i dont need online play, so i would be happy if part 2 provides more of the same gameplay with better graphics. are the driving physics the same compared to TDU1? how is the performance (im sitting on a 6950)?

thanks in advance.

A couple people in the Steam thread have raging hostility towards TDU2. I mean just hate and resent what they did to it. So I'd be weary of it.

mclaren777

Are there any good rally racing type sims? I always liked DiRT but I think it's a bit 'arcadey' for me.(

Richard Burns Rally is the gold standard but it's almost too realistic, so I hope you have some real driving skill and a cool head.

RSRBR.gif

Richard Burns Rally
Price: $9 @ Amazon
Demo: Yes, but force feedback doesn't work for some steering wheels
Description: Richard Burns Rally is the gold standard for rally games. Nothing else has ever come close to challenging it. In a lot of ways RBR is like Demon's Souls--it's incredibly demanding but also infinitely rewarding. When you screw up there's nobody to blame but yourself. RBR has been feverently supported by the modding community (RSRBR 2011) but I actually prefer the vanilla experience with a simple numeric pacenotes mod). Other useful tweaks: Link #1,Link #2

Youtube - Triplescreen Onboard
Youtube - RBR in Slow Motion
RSRBR 2012

xLpYf.jpg

Longshot

Richard Burns Rally is the gold standard but it's almost too realistic, so I hope you have some real driving skill and a cool head.

RSRBR.gif

Richard Burns Rally
Description: Richard Burns Rally is the gold standard for rally games. Nothing else has ever come close to challenging it. In a lot of ways RBR is like Demon's Souls--it's incredibly demanding but also infinitely rewarding. When you screw up there's nobody to blame but yourself. RBR has been feverently supported by the modding community (RSRBR 2011) but I actually prefer the vanilla experience with a simple numeric pacenotes mod). Other useful tweaks: Link #1,Link #2

RSRBR 2012

xLpYf.jpg

Excellent post, you've convinced me - now all I have to do is either find a digital copy or a DVD version in my region (Australia), thanks!

Shaneus

RSRBR.gif

Richard Burns Rally

RSRBR 2012

xLpYf.jpg
Total slacker question: Is there a way to legitimately buy it online without needing/requiring a physical copy? Because, to be honest, I'm not forward-thinking enough to be able to wait for such a thing before my interest gets diverted elsewhere :/

Also... G27 support? Good?

1-D_FTW

My GTEYE has arrived. Ordered last Sunday and it shipped out on Monday. So it came in exactly one week. Pretty good for the US east coast.

Gonna put this baby in in a little bit and give it a whirl tonight:)

EDIT: Or not. Guess I'm going to have to pick up a 2.5 mm allen wrench tomorrow. I just assumed this wasn't going to be an issue since I have so many, but most of them are imperial and not metric. And if Logitech did include an allen wrench to adjust the pedals, I threw the box out long ago.

Ordered me a copy. Definitely want to own this game even though I am sure I could dig up a copy I "acquired" in the past.

Can't wait to install all the mods and updates and see how it has aged and been supported.

This game holds a very special place in my driving history. I distinctly remember playing the shit out of it and becoming fairly decent, especially feeling proud of getting better at the snow stages. That winter we had a lot of snowfall, I would take my Impreza 2.5RS out into some quiet neighborhoods up on this hilside and the translation in of driving technique in RBR to real life was 1:1. It was an incredible feeling nailing apexes in full drift (at lower speeds obviously) all because of a game.

mclaren777

I've had a number of people ask me for RBR advice, so here goes...

• The Pacenotes Mod – I prefer the decreasing option, but both work great – Download
• RBR Fixup – Adds features like v-sync and support for widescreen monitors – Download
• Feel free to try any of the following tweaks...

Unlock all content
Create a new player profile and name it MULLIGATAWNY. All cars and tracks will be immediately unlocked for this profile. It gives you a chance to try everything out before you unlock them with your normal profile.

Disable intro movies
Open the RichardBurnsRally.ini file and find this line:
RunIntro = true
Change it to:
RunIntro = false
Save the file

Disable lens flare
Open the RichardBurnsRally.ini file and add this line:
RenderLensFlare = false
Save the file

You'll notice that I didn't mention the RSRBR mod. That's because I don't really like it. In my opinion, RBR is about developing your skill as a driver, not playing around with community-made cars and tracks. When it comes to pure driving skill, RBR is the deepest rabbit hole in sim racing and I think it's best to focus on mastering the stock content (which may never happen).

1-D_FTW

So put me down as a fan of the GTEYE. Took me a bit to get there.

Originally installed the GTEYE as the brake, moved the brake to the clutch, and the clutch to gas. Closed it back up.

Then it looked like the gas was shorter than it had been (which I attributed to the shock spring being shorter). So I opened it back up and put the gas spring back in. After I did that, I eyeballed it and realized it was making no difference. So I pulled the gas spring back out and again replaced it with the clutch spring. Then I closed it all back up.

Did one lap and realized I absolutely hated the clutch spring with a passion. Gas pedals have very little resistance in real life and the tension on this thing was all I could focus on. It wasn't natural and was killing my sense of immersion.

So I opened everything back up for a third time and replaced the clutch spring with the gas spring.

With everything finally settled, my initial reaction was I wasn't noticing a whole lot. Subtle at best. But I wasn't braking enough and was missing corners a lot.

So I figured the best thing to do was load 67 Monaco in rF2. That's short track with lots of demanding brake points. After about 5 - 10 laps, it began showing itself. My braking is much smoother and natural with this thing. I can see where some people would frown over spending 30 dollars on a simple spring, but I think I'm going to get my money's worth from this:)

Shaneus

You think it's worth putting the gas spring in the clutch? I felt the same about the stiffness but once it was back together I really couldn't be fucked! I can see how much of a difference it would make though.

1-D_FTW

You think it's worth putting the gas spring in the clutch? I felt the same about the stiffness but once it was back together I really couldn't be fucked! I can see how much of a difference it would make though.

Nah. Not unless you want a light clutch pedal. I like the stiffness of the brake spring in the clutch pedal. It's putting the old clutch spring in the gas I had issues with. Even if it was a pain to reopen everything back up, it was a necessity IMO to have the gas spring be gas. Besides, by the third time I reopened everything, I'd mastered how to prop it up so I didn't have to unscrew the cable (plus I was only putting half the silver screws back into the bottom).

Shaneus

Ohhhh. I misread what you wrote. So the gas is gas again, clutch is old brake and brake is GTEYE.

Glad (and relieved) you like it, too. That extra amount of resistance (graduated, no less) makes a surprising difference once you've tweaked the in-game settings. By far the best part about it is that you don't actually notice the effect it has until you realise you've been taking corners that little bit later and a LOT smoother.

mclaren777

I'm growing impatient. :(

Quick update on what's happening. Last month Zach unfortunately hit a few barriers in the software he is using to make KartSim. Long story short, there was something affecting the performance of the physics model. In motorsports speak, we were bouncing off the rev limiter in top gear, couldn't go any faster. The good news is in the last week Zach made inroads into the causes and as a result we are back to testing as we were before, ironing out the bugs and making a few tweaks before the beta release.

1-D_FTW

So it's without question the GTEye is a fantastic product. I've been racing on mostly Monaco 67, but I went onto Spa 67 and it makes my ability to just attack put a smile on my face. That first turn out of the starting straight was always a bit of an adventure for me. So smooth now.

Also found another interesting tuning site:

http://www.racelinecentral.com/RacingSetupGuide.html#How to Use this Guide

Seems like it was written as a manual for Nascar, but it really does a good job of explaining what each thing is doing on a technical level. And how you should test to find optimal settings for each course.

Between slowly working the kinks out of the setups so I can really attack, and the new brake, the 67 F2 car in rf2 is becoming my favorite car of all-time.

Polyphony

So I tried googling around but couldn't find an answer to my poor man's clutch solution. I dug out my old Logitech Driving Force FFB wheel (from the PS2 days) and was wondering if there would be a way to assign one of its pedals as a clutch pedal for my existing DFGT setup. Basically, I'm trying to make my computer and sims recognize both FFB wheels at the same time but the Logitech profiler is causing me some problems. Anybody tried this before? lol

Shaneus

So it's without question the GTEye is a fantastic product. I've been racing on mostly Monaco 67, but I went onto Spa 67 and it makes my ability to just attack put a smile on my face. That first turn out of the starting straight was always a bit of an adventure for me. So smooth now.

Also found another interesting tuning site:

http://www.racelinecentral.com/RacingSetupGuide.html#How to Use this Guide

Seems like it was written as a manual for Nascar, but it really does a good job of explaining what each thing is doing on a technical level. And how you should test to find optimal settings for each course.

Between slowly working the kinks out of the setups so I can really attack, and the new brake, the 67 F2 car in rf2 is becoming my favorite car of all-time.
Sounds like I'm going to have to give those car/track combos a shot. Do you have any special setting for the FFB or wheel sensitivity?

PS. Glad you like the GTEYE! It seems weird that a spring could make such a difference, but it's amazing that it does. Much simpler than the other brake mods as well.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah, it really is quite easy. Make sure you do have the right size hex thingy though, because I used a torx screwdriver that was the right size but because it wasn't right-angled, there was a lot of fuffing about getting access to the screws. But if you like, I can email you the instructions the dude sent to me in case you wanted to have a look beforehand. PM if you're keen, obv.

Did you get my PM a few days ago? I'd love to get those infos.

1-D_FTW

Sounds like I'm going to have to give those car/track combos a shot. Do you have any special setting for the FFB or wheel sensitivity?

I'm still using the settings I posted back in the rf2 thread:

Saved Controller Profile and Controller.ini:
Steering effects strength = 7000
Steering torque filter = 8
Jolt magnitude = 1.00000

In-game:
FFB = 1.0

Profiler:
Overall Effects = 100%
Spring Effect = 5%
Damper Effect = 10%
Center Spring = 0% (box checked)
Degrees of Rotation = 900
Allow Game to Adjust Settings = box checked

And then in the game settings, I set the wheel rotation to 300 degrees. I suppose I could go higher, but I set it lower back when I was having major control issues. Also have the steering lock set to 16 degrees. The rest of the steering control settings are at default.

If you know of any easy hosting service that's free, I could upload my car setups for those two tracks. Someone who's good at tuning would cringe at some of my settings, but they're a work in progress and so much better than factory defaults. I may be leaving speed on the track, but at least I've got a stable car that I can build from. But as I've said, it's a hackneyed way I've gotten there. I need to get much better at tuning everything and having settings complement one another.

Did you get my PM a few days ago? I'd love to get those infos.

If you need to, PM your e-mail address and I can e-mail you the PDF.

The short story is this: You need to remove the 2 2.5 mm allen wrench screws on each pedal. Then the 14 silver screws on the bottom side of the base. That'll get you inside. Then you have to remove two 2.5 mm allen screws on each pedal you want to change. That'll open up access to the spring. You also need to remove a couple screws holding the cord in place (although if you prop that base up against a heavy box, it'll stand up right and you can avoid disconnecting it. It makes it easier, but if you were to spaz out and cause it to fall, you would risk ripping your wires from the connections).

Type_Raver

Sweet thread, great info as well!

Looking forward to rFactor 2 and the SuperGT mod! Anyone know more about this and its release?

Megasoum

Banned
People out there with Fanatec Porsche wheels should watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpjvNtefMV4

I saw that video the other day and I still think it's voodoo magic lol. I can't understand how that external box fixes a loose pot in the pedals. Anyway great for the standard pedal users.

Me, after breaking 2 standard pedal sets in a month I caved in and bought the CSP. I'm happy with them of course but that's still 200$

From the comments under the review:

Szilárd Hompoth said:
How much advance from the Fanatec's CS/CSR Elite pedals? Does this really worth the much more money?
Phill Routledge said:
Put simply the Fanatec offerings are toy like in comparison. Nothing currently competes in the same ring as these pedals. NOTHING.

bee

Why would you pay 1500$ for something that is essentialy Fanatec CSP (available for 200$) but with a bit more resolution (that you would probably not even notice).

cst's are basically clubsports.........hahhahaha ok

Megasoum

Banned
From the comments under the review:

Maybe, I can't say without trying both but there's nothing toy like about the CSP. I'm talking about the original CSP (all metal ones) not the new plastic stuff.

I'm having a tough time watching/reading reviews for the hardcore stuff like that since all those sites (all those youtube reviewers like ISR for example) have to completly rely on the company and PR to get free stuff to test. I've been following ISR since before the Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel came out and I don't think I've ever heard them give a real negative review. Everytime they have to give cons for a product they are always super apologizing.

They were praising all the fanatec stuff for years until a couple of months ago where they had some kind of dispute with Thomas (the ceo) and since then they don't even mention anything Fanatec related in their videos and suddenly all the other wheels are amazing.

Anyway, to get back to those pedals, maybe they really are amazing but that guy sounded way too positive about them in his review and that sound sketchy to me (maybe I'm just too paranoid I don't know). In the end, no matter how good they are, I still have a tough time justifying a 1500$ pedals sets that are marginally better (on paper) than a 200$ set.

Megasoum

Banned
I thought they stopped praising Fanatec stuff because Ganji started working for them so they didn't want to sound biased?

Darin doesn't work for them anymore. He did only for a couple of months and then "something" happened and now they are in some kind of dispute.

Yoritomo

I think it has more to do with Fanatec being a small company. Darin was highly critical of something in development with the newer wheel (firmware issues or something similar) and felt like he wasn't being listened to. Most likely a problem with the CSR elite that he knew about and fanatec either decided not to or didn't have time to fix before release.

He gets worked up about it and leaves his position as community rep, and in response Fanatec blacklists him. The issue with creating a product yourself from the ground up and having your hand in every aspect of the business is it's difficult to take criticism. A large or sometime minor failure on your part could mean your entire business, so instead of treating PR like you should, you have a tendency to be overly defensive of your product.

If someone is gaming the warranty system of Logitech the support rep who handles your ticket doesn't care and it doesn't affect his bottom line at all since he's divorced from the proceeding at the company. Logitech has a budget set aside for such things. At a 6 man operation like fanatec, someone gaming the warranty system is taking food out of your kid's mouth. If someone starts an internet hate campaign against logitech, well logitech is still in every electronics store on the planet. Start a hate campaign against fanatec and it could literally destroy the company, so they tend to be way overprotective of their product and image which in turn can be completely counterproductive to their actual goal of having a good reputation amongst their target audience.

1-D_FTW

Anyone know if the LeoBodnar mod for the G25/27 is still alive? I've had that site bookmarked for a long time, but it never gets updated with new stock. Still stuck on expecting new stock by the end of March.

I have no idea what to expect in terms of performance, but with my new set-up, it would be more convenient for me to have the pedals hooked up via USB. So I kind of want it for that if nothing else.

Megasoum

Banned
What Yoritomo said

Very good point and I agree completly.

Funny, yesterday I was watching ISR and discovered Darin was working for Fanatec. They were discussing the new wheels. Seems I was lttp.

Haha yeah that was, at least, a couple of months ago (can't remember when the whole thing happened exactly) but they haven't mentionend Fanatec products in a while. It was particularly showing in last weeks show when they did a review of a sim rig. They were giving pros/cons for using the rig with every Logitech and Thrustmasters wheels possible (heck, even the official microsoft 360 wheel haha) but zero information about the Fanatec wheels. That's the kind of stuff that Fanatec users want to know. In that case it turned out that the actual rig was shitty anyway but still.

Top Bottom