• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Seanspeed

Banned
Well you sort of answered it, rF2 and Assetto Corsa (both presumably the future of moddable sims) are not done/not out. That said, I'm not sure we're going to see the mod scene ever get as huge as it once was. Not anytime soon, I mean.

That said again, just about everything that is moddable are getting mods made for them.

iRacing, rF2, RaceRoom, Game Stock Car, Formula Truck, pCARS,, AC tech demo are what's in my regular rotation of what I'd call modern, or at least new to market. There's plenty of "old" stuff I occasionally play too. rF mods, GTR2 mods, RACE 07, RBR, etc.

Let me just say this to you Sean, yes iRacing is expensive, but I really think it would be right in your wheelhouse. I know you liked doing a lot of public lobby Forza racing, and this is just about everything you could hope multiplayer racing to be. I'm certainly not saying it's perfect, but it's just about as good as it can be. Sign up here for 3 month promo (wait until you get your PC obviously). You asked where are all the modders? A lot of them, and their market are playing iRacing.
Oh wow, so is that basically 3 months of iRacing with that specific car only? That would be pretty cool.

Honestly, I'd probably love iRacing, but I'd hate having to justify the costs. I'll try it out, though. I will. Are you signed up for this Cadillac series? It'd be cool to race with ya again. Its been a while.

Also, how much better is a G27 than a G25? If I can find a super cheap G25, would I still be pretty set?

rFactor is great. True PC game.
Was always my favorite. I never had a great computer, so I didn't get great framerates and wasn't as competitive as I'd have liked to be, but the amount of mods and the core physics engine were just superb.

It's a Virtua_LM track. They did an awesome job.
Them and CTDP always put out the best stuff.

Shaneus

It's a Virtua_LM track. They did an awesome job.
Damn, they've done a good job of it then.

I know car models from console games have been ripped for use in certain PC titles (Forza 4 cars in TDU and GTA4, for example), but has anyone done the same kind of thing for tracks? Because I know Sebring is in FM4, but I don't know if the same thing is possible given that a track is obviously far more expansive than a car is.

Also, how much better is a G27 than a G25? If I can find a super cheap G25, would I still be pretty set? .
I can't speak for the differences, but from what I've gathered over the last few years the G27 was far more popular so I'd think you'd be more likely to find a cheaper G27 than G25 (assuming you're talking about second-hand. New, I don't think you can get a G25 at all).

Oh wow, so is that basically 3 months of iRacing with that specific car only? That would be pretty cool.

Honestly, I'd probably love iRacing, but I'd hate having to justify the costs. I'll try it out, though. I will. Are you signed up for this Cadillac series? It'd be cool to race with ya again. Its been a while.

The Cadillac promo is 3 free months of the service, the base package, plus 3 additional tracks. So:

Cadillac CTS-VR
Mazda MX-5 Cup
Mazda MX-5 Roadster
Pontiac Solstice
Ford Spec Racer
Street Stock
Legends Ford '34 Coupe

Lime Rock Park (Road)
Okayama International Circuit (Road)
Summit Point Motorsports Park (Road)
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca (Road)
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Road)
Mosport - Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Road)
Sonoma / Infineon Raceway (Road
)
Charlotte Motor Speedway (Oval and Road)
Oxford Plains Speedway (Oval)
South Boston (Oval)
Lanier National Speedway (Oval)
Thompson International Speedway (Oval)
USA International Speedway (Oval)

There's plenty to do on just a basic subscription, and all that stuff is yours forever as long as your subscription is active. You don't have to spend a ton of money, but the pull is definitely there to drive new cars and tracks. You can piece stuff in at any rate you'd like (or not at all).

Racing with friends is usually done through leagues, but you can make plans ahead of time to join a public race together at the same time. If a race is full, it gets split by skill, so it's not a sure thing however. Anyway yeah, I'd be happy to race with you, or anyone else here for that matter, on any sim.

TJP

I agree regarding the Cadillac promo - it's well worth using to at least try iRacing. It put plenty of the negative words I'd read about to bed and is easily the best online experience for sim racers around.

TJP

Anyone know when Raceroom is going to get some proper single and multiplayer racing modes?
The simple answer is this: when single and multiplayer are ready, you'll see these modes apeear in a new build. Internal testing of mulitplayer is underway however RaceRoom is a completely new title from SimBin, issues need to be ironed out before any new modes are released. There is little else to say other than that.

Anyone ever watch the iRacing livestreams?

The World Championship Grand Prix Series is on at 10AM on Saturdays, so I always to seem to notice it's on and click the "watch now" button on their front page. I've never gotten into the e-sports thing before, but I'm really kind of enjoying watching it. Everybody knows Greger Huttu. He runs in the series, and often wins.

Live now@Spa EDIT: over, here's the YT copy. A pretty fun watch.

Youtube archived races

DrTeflon

Hey guys, I have a Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience, yeah I know is not the best wheel out there but its the only one I can afford at the moment. I bought SimBin collection on Steam, already have Project Cars and rFactor 2. Any other great pc racing sim I should buy or I am good for now?

Darkdeus

Hey guys, I have a Thrustmaster Ferrari GT Experience, yeah I know is not the best wheel out there but its the only one I can afford at the moment. I bought SimBin collection on Steam, already have Project Cars and rFactor 2. Any other great pc racing sim I should buy or I am good for now?

Check out Game Stockcar 2012! There is a free demo for it so definitely at least try it. http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/en/

Also it's worth it to pick up Netkar Pro in order to have access to the Assetto Corsa demo. Netkar is fantastic anyways and is worth the purchase. If your into rally racing make sure to track down a copy of Richard Burns Rally and intall the rsrbr 2013 mod.

If you want to get into racing online I would try to look out for one of the iRacing promos as well.

DrTeflon

Check out Game Stockcar 2012! There is a free demo for it so definitely at least try it. http://www.game-stockcar.com.br/en/

Also it's worth it to pick up Netkar Pro in order to have access to the Assetto Corsa demo. Netkar is fantastic anyways and is worth the purchase. If your into rally racing make sure to track down a copy of Richard Burns Rally and intall the rsrbr 2013 mod.

If you want to get into racing online I would try to look out for one of the iRacing promos as well.

I'm not that into online racing due to the fact that I suck at driving usualy lol, but thanks for the tips, I'll get next month Netkar pro and Game Stockcar 2012

EDIT: Damn I decided to bite that Cadillac iracing promo. The game looks and feels amazing but oh boy do I suck at driving on it. Any tips?

iRacing is going to be offering what they're calling "tech tracks". They're unfinished tracks that aren't yet ready to be pressed into service, and sold for 5 bucks. Long Beach is the first one, and here's a video. The racing surface and walls are done, and everything else is point cloud. For sale presumably soon.

Darkdeus

I'm not that into online racing due to the fact that I suck at driving usualy lol, but thanks for the tips, I'll get next month Netkar pro and Game Stockcar 2012

EDIT: Damn I decided to bite that Cadillac iracing promo. The game looks and feels amazing but oh boy do I suck at driving on it. Any tips?

Which car are you driving? I just finished my first week of iRacing and was able to earn my D license. This was my first time ever racing online as well. I would recommend that you start with the Mazda Mx 5 and do the Mazda Cup series. I would not start off with the Cadillac if that's what your doing.

Some general tips though. Make sure your wheel and ffb are set up correctly. Also if your using one screen you need to drop your FOV to around 50-60. You will lose some sense of speed but it will help a lot in other ways. I would then just focus on one track. Watch some videos of people setting good times and try to notice their racing line, brake points, and how they are driving the car. In the mazda for example you actually can just lift for a lot of the turns and carry the momentum through the turn. Other turns may just require some light braking. Get comfortable running time trials and practices before entering races. Consistency is the key. You should be able to do 20 laps at the same pace, in time trials and practice, with no incidents before racing.

To get out of the rookie league I also found it helpful to set a good qualifying lap so that I was usually placed in the top 4 on the grid. This can help you avoid a lot of the turn 1 crashes and madness. I also was very careful about passing and avoided dive bombing people, or taking any unnecessary risks during races. A lot of times I just put in consistent laps let everyone else make major mistakes before passing them. This let me get out of the rookie league in a week with a 4.36 license and only 4.5 average incidents a race! Hope this helps!

DrTeflon

Which car are you driving? I just finished my first week of iRacing and was able to earn my D license. This was my first time ever racing online as well. I would recommend that you start with the Mazda Mx 5 and do the Mazda Cup series. I would not start off with the Cadillac if that's what your doing.

Some general tips though. Make sure your wheel and ffb are set up correctly. Also if your using one screen you need to drop your FOV to around 50-60. You will lose some sense of speed but it will help a lot in other ways. I would then just focus on one track. Watch some videos of people setting good times and try to notice their racing line, brake points, and how they are driving the car. In the mazda for example you actually can just lift for a lot of the turns and carry the momentum through the turn. Other turns may just require some light braking. Get comfortable running time trials and practices before entering races. Consistency is the key. You should be able to do 20 laps at the same pace, in time trials and practice, with no incidents before racing.

To get out of the rookie league I also found it helpful to set a good qualifying lap so that I was usually placed in the top 4 on the grid. This can help you avoid a lot of the turn 1 crashes and madness. I also was very careful about passing and avoided dive bombing people, or taking any unnecessary risks during races. A lot of times I just put in consistent laps let everyone else make major mistakes before passing them. This let me get out of the rookie league in a week with a 4.36 license and only 4.5 average incidents a race! Hope this helps!

I was using the Mazda. Actually I'm having a issue with my iracing now. Everything I boot up it simply hangs on loading and makes me ctrl+alt+del to close it.

I deleted all the settings, next time it boots up the everything works. I decided to exit for a quick second, the last time it hangs again. It just keeps loading until a point where I can see my pointer and then it's stuck on that screen. Does anyone know why?

My specs:
I5-2500k
16gb ddr3 1600
2x1tb had 7400rpm
Amd 7950 xfx

On the other hand, is it just me or most racing sim Ais aren't that great? Played some rfactor2 today and my god almost everyone crashed during the first lap lol.

Darkdeus

hmm does it do that in all browsers as well? I would try disabling anti-virus or firewall stuff as well to see if that helps any.

I think the AI in rfactor 2 can be pretty good depending on the track. I think Gamestock 2012 has some of the best AI though.

Check out these videos of me racing them in order to see how close they can race without crashing into you.

GSC 2012 AI:
http://youtu.be/o5IospugD8g
http://youtu.be/b741cYu2X-0

I think Gamestock 2012 has some of the best AI though.
After growing of impatient for RF2/AC/PCARS, and seeing all the praise here on GAF, I took the plunge and grabbed Gamestock 2012 a few minutes ago. I sent the AI down the pitlane to test my framerate on Ultra settings and he drove straight into a concrete wall at the pit exit. I'm sure it's just a one off lol.

After growing of impatient for RF2/AC/PCARS, and seeing all the praise here on GAF, I took the plunge and grabbed Gamestock 2012 a few minutes ago. I sent the AI down the pitlane to test my framerate on Ultra settings and he drove straight into a concrete wall at the pit exit. I'm sure it's just a one off lol.

lol, hope you're enjoying though. It really is such a fun title to pick up and play.

I just read over on the iRacing forums that after almost a full year delay the Lotus 49 is finally going to be released next week along with a new build. Yeeeesss!

Dave Kaemmer's blog post about it. Nothing earth shattering, just an intro to the car, but there you have it.

Old L49 video from January

lol, hope you're enjoying though. It really is such a fun title to pick up and play.
Sadly all I've seen of the game so far is the AI drive down and crash into the pitlane wall. Yesterday turned into a busy-baby-day and I never got around to giving GSC a shakedown. I'll be trying it out later today though.

BTW, is there some shared DNA between GSC and RFactor? Menus, UI, lighting etc have an eerie similarity.

Sadly all I've seen of the game so far is the AI drive down and crash into the pitlane wall. Yesterday turned into a busy-baby-day and I never got around to giving GSC a shakedown. I'll be trying it out later today though.

BTW, is there some shared DNA between GSC and RFactor? Menus, UI, lighting etc have an eerie similarity.

Yeah, gMotor2 which powered rFactor, and all the SimBin spawns. Reiza Studios is essentially a collaboration of several of the top mod guys from rFactor squeezing the life out of that engine. It's a real labor of love project. An easy one to want to support.

Finally got 4 laps worth in, taking a Formula 3 around Tomara (or however it's spelt). Felt wonderful to driver, great track, the AI were close and well behaved, exhausts were popping and banging... then the baby woke up. Hopefully I can get some more track time later this evening.

What I found most refreshing though was the track selection. I'm sure my fellow sim-sters will disown me for saying such a thing, but Silverstone, Monza, The Ring, Suzuka, Laguna Seca, Barcelona, Sebring and Spa have appeared in too many racing games and no longer hold my interest. I want the Lydden Hills, the Sugos, the Angoulêmes and the Putnam Parks. Thankfully, GSC 2012 provides a nice selection of small, relatively unknown and challenging tracks. I'm very much looking forward to learning them all (inbetween all the crying and diaper changing)

Shaneus

What I found most refreshing though was the track selection. I'm sure my fellow sim-sters will disown me for saying such a thing, but Silverstone, Monza, The Ring, Suzuka, Laguna Seca, Barcelona, Sebring and Spa have appeared in too many racing games and no longer hold my interest. I want the Lydden Hills, the Sugos, the Angoulêmes and the Putnam Parks. Thankfully, GSC 2012 provides a nice selection of small, relatively unknown and challenging tracks. I'm very much looking forward to learning them all (inbetween all the crying and diaper changing)
If you just went to the bathroom rather than thinking you have to game non-stop, you could avoid the diaper changing completely.

I just read over on the iRacing forums that after almost a full year delay the Lotus 49 is finally going to be released next week along with a new build. Yeeeesss!

Dave Kaemmer's blog post about it. Nothing earth shattering, just an intro to the car, but there you have it.

Old L49 video from January
Exciting times. What is most promising is the tyre model that apparently caused the Lotus 49 delays is being rolled out onto the Skip Barber car as well. This means it is suitable for the most underpowered and most overpowered open-wheeled vehicles in the sim.

p3tran

Banned
guys, a quick q about a problem I'm having with iracing..

game wont start anymore, and it always pops-up this error:

<<The following error occured while trying to join the session:
Failed CreateProcessAsUser [740] >>

win8 64, admin priv user, UAC (user account settings) on control panel pulled way down to "never notify"

game used to run. and no other game has this problem.
any ideas?

p3tran

Banned
All iRacing errors I've seen have been solved with a restart. Otherwise, you might need to reinstall it.
I uninstalled iracing after failing to make it work by troubleshooting it.
right now its downloading again tracks and cars, so pretty soon I will know if that fixed it or not.
support says that if this dont fix it, then re-installing OS will. but that ain't happening :D

edit: re-installing fixed it 8)

markao

Yeah, gMotor2 which powered rFactor, and all the SimBin spawns. Reiza Studios is essentially a collaboration of several of the top mod guys from rFactor squeezing the life out of that engine. It's a real labor of love project. An easy one to want to support.
Renato worked for SimBin (GTR EVO + formula cars) for he started Reiza, before that he did indeed mod for rFactor (F1 79 mod).

It is a great little sim, but like most old gMotor based games, I have a little "been there done that already" feeling. As with all other smaller sim teams, I hope they made some cash with earlier work, so that they eventually can upgrade their engine. (great reason to support them if you had not already ;) )

Finally got 4 laps worth in, taking a Formula 3 around Tomara (or however it's spelt). Felt wonderful to driver, great track, the AI were close and well behaved, exhausts were popping and banging... then the baby woke up. Hopefully I can get some more track time later this evening.

No, no, I'm with completely you. Interlagos, Jacarepagua, and a whole bunch of tracks I can't even pronounce, let alone know the layouts of. Perfect! Interesting that you mention Sugo and Putnam Park because Alex Sawczuk, the guy that originally made those tracks for rFactor, is the guy that made all the tracks for GSC. He also released a really nice unofficial fictional track for GSC (and FTruck) called Autodromo Floripa. Definitely grab that for yourself from over at his site.

Laser scanned, fictional, or seldom used/obscure - if a track doesn't fall into one of those categories, then it doesn't really move the needle for me any more.

Exciting times. What is most promising is the tyre model that apparently caused the Lotus 49 delays is being rolled out onto the Skip Barber car as well. This means it is suitable for the most underpowered and most overpowered open-wheeled vehicles in the sim.

Cool, right? It'll be nice to have an immediate comparison.

Renato worked for SimBin (GTR EVO + formula cars) for he started Reiza, before that he did indeed mod for rFactor (F1 79 mod).

It is a great little sim, but like most old gMotor based games, I have a little "been there done that already" feeling. As with all other smaller sim teams, I hope they made some cash with earlier work, so that they eventually can upgrade their engine. (great reason to support them if you had not already ;) )

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how everything transitions going forward. The Senna sim seems to be in a holding pattern waiting for all the engine options to fully materialize.

TJP

From Kunos on their FB page:

netKar PRO + Assetto Corsa Technology Preview € 3,99 - Last Call!

From today it is possible to purchase a full license of netKar PRO for only 3,99 Eur; this promotion includes the Assetto Corsa Technology Preview, featuring the Lotus Elise SC at Magione Racing Circuit. Enjoy it!

You guys want some different tracks - buy nKP and head over to radiators-champ.com and download a few of the 45+ tracks they host for nKP.

TJP

Formula Truck 2013 - 38 new screenshots: http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/07/formula-truck-2013-38-new-screenshots/

FTruck_2013_02.jpg

Addnan

Trying to play the Formula Truck 60min trial and I must be getting the wheel setting (DGFT) wrong somewhere. I have most assists on so that shouldn't be the issue. I press the accelerator to leave the garage and as soon as I touch the wheel the truck does a 360 spin and the engine cuts out or something. Game doesn't respond to wheel rotations or anything.

I've turned the game off for now, probably wasted 20 of the 60min demo :(

Trying to play the Formula Truck 60min trial and I must be getting the wheel setting (DGFT) wrong somewhere. I have most assists on so that shouldn't be the issue. I press the accelerator to leave the garage and as soon as I touch the wheel the truck does a 360 spin and the engine cuts out or something. Game doesn't respond to wheel rotations or anything.

I've turned the game off for now, probably wasted 20 of the 60min demo :(

Same thing happened to me when I first played it. I think just disabling "auto-pit" or whatever it's called fixed it. It may have been something else though, so if that doesn't work, post back and I'll think harder :)

You'll think the brakes are broken too when you first start! Just keep backing up the brake zone until you can make the corner ;) Don't forget to map the horn to the center button either. Got to let 'em know who's boss.

Addnan

Same thing happened to me when I first played it. I think just disabling "auto-pit" or whatever it's called fixed it. It may have been something else though, so if that doesn't work, post back and I'll think harder :)

You'll think the brakes are broken too when you first start! Just keep backing up the brake zone until you can make the corner ;)
That helped. Now I almost made it out of the pitlane. This is odd driving this thing lol.

Fox Mulder

So what is the best Forza/GT replacement on PC with singleplayer progression similar to what they do?

I'm looking to get back into PC gaming, and dipped into the recent steam sales a bit, but this was my first question as well.

I love what forza or GT provide, which appears to be unique to consoles these days.

At the time of posting:

LFS racers online: 693

iRacing racers online: 2406

Considering the excruciatingly slow pace of LFS development compared to what is supposed to be the premier racing simulation at the moment, I'd have expected the gap to be bigger.

I asked this in the Euro Truck Sim 2 thread but it makes sense to ask here too:

This is probably a stupid question because I'm probably the only person dealing with it. I bought this stand for my wheel months ago:

For the most part it works perfectly for my wheel. The one problem is, I play on a hardwood floor and out of the box there is nothing keeping it from just sliding (that foot on the back is hard rubber, almost like plastic and does nothing). Now my solution has been to use non-skid bumpers that I bought, which absolutely do the trick, except the adhesive can't take the force over more than a few hours and the pull off. I just took 2 of the used pads that pulled off and sanded the back smooth and applied them to the bottom with super glue. The adhesion seems stronger but I'm not full convinced it will hold long term.

I think a perfect solution would be some kind of non-skid tape that I could apply across the entire length of each side but I have yet to find something like that. Has anyone else solved this problem?

Rather than attaching something to the wheelstand have you thought about a small non slip mat it could sit on, you could stick some Velcro strips to the bottom of the stand for extra grip if needed.

Rather than attaching something to the wheelstand have you thought about a small non slip mat it could sit on, you could stick some Velcro strips to the bottom of the stand for extra grip if needed.

That would probably be a more reliable solution. Maybe I could come up with a way to physically attach the mat to the stand. Your velcro idea is one possibility I think if adhesive ran the length of the stand it would hold up.

bee

At the time of posting:

LFS racers online: 693

iRacing racers online: 2406

Considering the excruciatingly slow pace of LFS development compared to what is supposed to be the premier racing simulation at the moment, I'd have expected the gap to be bigger.

yeah but iracing has about 4k at peak time and if you actually look at the break down of players for lfs which currently has 697 playing, the split is 491 Demo - 206 Licensed

Top Bottom