• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

bee

So iRacing is the best sim to go for? Really tempted to try one of these sim racers out :)

i own most of them and imo you only need two right now, game stock car 2012 for offline racing and iracing for online racing. game stock car has fantastic physics, probably the best out there and you can download 50 or so tracks(of varying quality) for free for it and race against the ai or time trials. iracing is the only sim to play online it has like more players than all the others combined times five.the content is kinda pricey but its all laser scanned and the physics are certainly improving a lot with ntm v5.

of course when assetto corsa comes out that will be a must have purchase, the rest of the sims are unnecessary imo

They did all the Codemaster stuff...that's probably the closest they got to a driving sim... And I think most of those quicklooks were with Ryan playing in Chase cam lol.
They've looked at Forza and GT too. I believe Jeff usually takes such games on to review, and he doesn't approach them from the eye of a sim racer. He offers the 'gamer' opinion, concentrating on the feature set, customisation, career mode, etc. They never delve into an analysis of the physics, or the practicalities of wheel support, hardware setup, that kinda stuff. This is fine for Forza/GT, but he would be all at sea in iRacing - he has stated many times that he simply doesn't 'get' cockpit view in games, so he'd be pretty negative about it from the beginning.

Drew on the other hand seems to like his flight sims on PC, as does Vinny. I've not listened to many bombcasts so I dunno if they're already into driving sims, but they seem to be the go-to guys in the GB crew for this kind of thing. Will be interesting to see what they say, but I doubt they will be showing iRacing in the best light... because most of the QLs involving flight sims have been hilarious, spending half the time just trying to get the thing off the ground. But it is good exposure for iRacing anyway.

Shaneus

Drew is a new guy? I haven't been playing that closely to GB too recently.

I do know now that Jeff was pretty cut about Bizarre when they were closed by Activision so I know there's passion there, but not necessarily for sims, just action games.

TJP

When did it become "1.3 Final"? Recently, or aeons ago?
It went final a while ago although the client did download a small update to version 1.3.0.1727 Hikki early last year I think. Stefano originally posted the update on the Radiator Springs Racing website. Some prefer the older version feel; others like this update 8)

Megasoum

Banned
They've looked at Forza and GT too. I believe Jeff usually takes such games on to review, and he doesn't approach them from the eye of a sim racer. He offers the 'gamer' opinion, concentrating on the feature set, customisation, career mode, etc. They never delve into an analysis of the physics, or the practicalities of wheel support, hardware setup, that kinda stuff. This is fine for Forza/GT, but he would be all at sea in iRacing - he has stated many times that he simply doesn't 'get' cockpit view in games, so he'd be pretty negative about it from the beginning.

Drew on the other hand seems to like his flight sims on PC, as does Vinny. I've not listened to many bombcasts so I dunno if they're already into driving sims, but they seem to be the go-to guys in the GB crew for this kind of thing. Will be interesting to see what they say, but I doubt they will be showing iRacing in the best light... because most of the QLs involving flight sims have been hilarious, spending half the time just trying to get the thing off the ground. But it is good exposure for iRacing anyway.

Duh, how could I forget about GT/Forza. The GT5 quicklook is amazing. Takes something like 45min before they get ingame lol.

Drew is a new guy? I haven't been playing that closely to GB too recently.

I do know now that Jeff was pretty cut about Bizarre when they were closed by Activision so I know there's passion there, but not necessarily for sims, just action games.

Drew joined GB in 08 (or maybe 09?) as an intern. He's been working as a video producer ever since.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys how do I turn off the iRacing auto renewal? Got in with the Cadillac promo. Also, if I turn it off now will it means my 3 months sub will immediately stop working (hopefully not)... kinda scared to forget and find my cc charged for a sub later on, lol

Click 'My Account' at the top of the page, then scroll down to the billing section... there is a button to disable auto renew. There's no reason why it should cancel your three month trial.

It's worth mentioning that the best ways to resub are through promotions. They almost always have something going. You've seen a couple guys here go for the 2 year deal. Alternately, you let your sub lapse, and they'll start sending you "please come back" emails with promo codes.

Addnan

I really want to play more iRacing. What I have played has been excellent, but I don't understand the model. You pay a sub then you pay for cars and tracks too. How can they have a F2P model and then have a sub :/ .

I'm sure that has been complained about to death in other places.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Click 'My Account' at the top of the page, then scroll down to the billing section... there is a button to disable auto renew. There's no reason why it should cancel your three month trial.

It's worth mentioning that the best ways to resub are through promotions. They almost always have something going. You've seen a couple guys here go for the 2 year deal. Alternately, you let your sub lapse, and they'll start sending you "please come back" emails with promo codes.

Cool. Thanks guys.
The thing that is holding me back is that I can go a couple of weeks without ever firing it up once, seems such a waste

I really want to play more iRacing. What I have played has been excellent, but I don't understand the model. You pay a sub then you pay for cars and tracks too. How can they have a F2P model and then have a sub :/ .

Funny, no one's ever mentioned it ;)

It is interesting though now that it's been around for 5 years, industry pricing models have come and gone, subscription services have come and gone, but these guys have had pretty good stability and growth. Despite the pill being bitter, they've attracted and retained the people they were going after, and they've made the money they've needed. Granted, no one else has an (ex) billionaire as a founder. They play by rules, but probably not the same ones the rest of the industry does.

Anyway Addnan, my advice would be to not feel like you have to buy tons of content. Run what you own. If that's just the base stuff, that's perfectly fine. There's actually a lot there to try and master. If you buy one car, like say the Skippy, then run the races using those tracks you already own. Run something else in the off weeks. Although the schedule is always changing, use it anyway to gauge where you can find good value. Example, the Skippy runs on lots of base tracks, or Watkins Glen is on lots of series schedules.

You're really buying into competitive racing, and you can get that in any class/car/track.

I don't really understand your question there... there is no F2P model? Or were you comparing it to something like RaceRoom?

The way I see it is thus:

The iRacing model is hard to justify if you compare it to other racing games, because it's very expensive if you believe 'value' correlates with 'content'. However, iRacing's setup is unique, and I believe the 'value' is found in the quality of the racing and the organisation rather than the individual cars and tracks. The consistency of their servers, the reliability and smoothness of the connection of every player still amazes me each race, and I've been on the service for over a year now. And then there is the organisation of the events, the ranking system, safety system, etc. Once you've passed the lower ranks, you're almost guaranteed a great race every time you load it up (as long as you are in the right mindset), and I've never been able to say that about any other racing game. And because everyone is using their real name, you can treat it very much like a virtual racing career.

Subscription costs = paying to keep their servers running 24/7, plus it is your 'racing licence', in the same way you'd pay a subscription to a real racing club. They throw in a few cars and tracks, enough for competitive racing throughout the year. If you were part of a local racing club, chances are you'd race at the same track every month, in your only car, and it would cost you a lot more. I spent the best part of a year pretty much just racing the MX-5, switching between Lime Rock and Okayama, and it felt like good value, because the racing was close, smooth and (mostly) respectful.

If you want to progress your virtual career further, you need to pay to 'visit' extra tracks on the calendar. It makes sense to focus on one car, as you would in real life - there's no point in buying loads of cars just to build a virtual garage - this is not Gran Turismo. So if you want to go the open-wheel route like I did, invest in the Skip Barber car. And to get the best value, it would be wise to buy at least 6 pieces of content at once, to get the 20% discount. So you get the Skip, and maybe 5 additional tracks that are scheduled for the upcoming Skip series. They always seem to run the included tracks in this series, so buying 5 extra would mean you're covered for at least 8 weeks in the 12 week season. This important because a) season points totals are calculated based on your 8 best weeks and b) if you attend races during at least 8 weeks in a season, you get $4 in credits. If you do multiple series, you can earn up to $10 each season. I decided to do the full 12 weeks in the Skip last season, and with those tracks I was also covered to do 8 weeks in both the Spec Racer Ford series and the GT Challenge series. So I got $10 this week, woo!

I don't see it as being all that expensive if you participate a lot. A year's sub is usually $49 on Black Friday week, you can earn up to $40 in credits over the year if you can participate in enough series, and you get $5 for maintaining a year's subscription. So in theory, a year's subscription could cost $4... but of course, you have to invest in the relevant tracks that would allow you to meet the participation requirements, but you can do that pretty sensibly and buy in bulk when you can.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Short answer is no. PC ports of console games such as Dirt and Shift are your best bet for that type of thing.

Alright, thanks. I could just hook my PS3 back up and play GT5, but we'll see.

In other news, after a lot of hunting, I was able to find an unused G27 for $200 shipped. Should be here next week!

TJP

Ever since I found out the Procar existed via PGR4, I've been obsessed with it ever since. MOAR VIDEOS.

PS. R3E really is looking pretty damn good. Digging the muted colours, for a bit it actually looked like real footage.
I'm surprised SimBin released footage of Hungaroring and the M1 so soon but I guess with the F1 teams there at the moment, it makes sense.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So my G27 will be here Monday/Tuesday. I'm going to subscribe to iRacing, but I have to ask...

What's the best way for a newbie to get started? Subscription, track, and car wise? I LOVE having a reasonably large track selection at my disposal, but I don't want to go broke buying tracks.

Also, I apologize for asking, but what's the next best Sim option? Not even for the competitive aspect, but just for having tracks to drive and learn and practice? Like I said, I love track options, but the realism is important...I don't want to learn bad habits.

Watevaman

So my G27 will be here Monday/Tuesday. I'm going to subscribe to iRacing, but I have to ask...

What's the best way for a newbie to get started? Subscription, track, and car wise? I LOVE having a reasonably large track selection at my disposal, but I don't want to go broke buying tracks.

Also, I apologize for asking, but what's the next best Sim option? Not even for the competitive aspect, but just for having tracks to drive and learn and practice? Like I said, I love track options, but the realism is important...I don't want to learn bad habits.

GTR2 is a good choice (and my personal fav), as is rFactor.

Addnan

Game stock cars is loved by a lot here.

Addnan

When I play GTR2 the wheel just doesn't feel right. When I turn it the whole wheel just loses all weight on that side and you have to hold it up. not really sure how to describe that :/. Race 07 feels great though. Is there a setting somewhere I don't know about? (DFGT)

Hmm, not loading for me.
Think it was down when you posted, try again now. Site is up.

TJP

If you are looking for a sim with many tracks and cars, realistic physics and a lot of mods, both tracks and cars - I believe SimBin has you covered. An older title such as GTR 2 was co-made between SimBin and SMS (then Blimey!) and features an excellent racing school, 24 hour day to night cycles, changing weather and is based around the 2003 and 2004 FIA GT Championship series. Lots of mods are available for this, most notable is Power and Glory version 3 which focuses on cars from the 60's and 70's. It takes inspiration from the other SimBin and Blimey! co-production, GT Legends, and is considered to be one of the best mods for any SimBin title.

Race '07 and its various expansion packs (GTR Evolution, Race On, Formula Raceroom, STCC - The Game, STCC - The Game 2, GT Power, WTCC 2010 and The Retro expansion) covers many different forms of motorsports from Mini's to F1 style open wheelers. Confusingly, 'Race Injection' is a roll-up of Race '07 and most of the expansions I listed above except for GTR Evo and Race On. Personally, I'd download demo the versions of Race '07, GTR Evo & Race On and wait for the SimBin Mega Bundle to go back on sale at $20USD or less as this contains everything SimBin have released on Steam!

Another sublime sim is Game Stock Car 2012 which is a NeoGAF favourite as well as being crowned 'Game of Year' on RaceDepartment and SimHQ in 2011. Based around the Brazilian 'Stock Car' championship, GSC features the JL G-09 520HP V8 powered 'stock' cars plus Formula Reiza (modern F1 car), Formula Classic (turbo era F1 car), Formula 3 plus Mini Challange and Camaro SS and tracks soley from Brazil - the only ones I knew of were Interlagos and Curitiba. You can find a lot of tracks for GSC - many ported from SimBin titles - on the internet too. Naturally, the quality of these tracks varies.

A budget option but extremely realistic sim is netKar Pro which is avaliable for 4 Euro; a bonus is access to the Assetto Corsa Tech Preview. nKP throws you in the deep end with little hand holding. You can find over 40 tracks on Radiator Springs Racing as well as one extra car, the Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 Valentino Balboni.

Zinthar

netKar Pro is now 3.99 Euros - http://www.netkar-pro.com/

Thank you, sir. I picked it up at that price almost exclusively to play the Assetto Corsa tech preview, and I was pleasantly surprised that I found it to be every bit as good as the hype for it would suggest. Admittedly, I have no idea how that Lotus should handle on that track, having never driven one, but AC had detailed force feedback and I could distinctly feel when I was approaching the edge of grip -- much moreso than I've felt with any of the cars I've tried in iRacing.

I'm hopeful that AC ships with some solid netcode before I'm tempted to sink $100 into buying the content necessary to compete in a full season of one iRacing's C class leagues.

The second part has been answered very well by other posts, but regarding how to get started in iRacing - I'd refer you to my previous post about the 'value' of iRacing, where I'm basically suggesting that the actual racing is so realistic that you don't need to buy anything extra to get your money's worth. I'm assuming you are more interested in the road course side of things, so just get to grips with the MX-5, and work your way up the rankings in the Mazda cup. If you want to be quick you need to be really familiar with the car and track - there is so much depth to the physics and surface detail in the tracks that you will be discovering new lines and ways to carry more speed around corners each time to you drive. However if you really want a lot of tracks, iRacing is going to become expensive, and there is no 'best' way of starting your collection, because the tracks in non-rookie series are swapped around every season. But if you want to move on, pick a series like the Skip Barber and Spec Racer, look at the schedule for this season, and buy at least 6 items to get the 20% discount. Then you can race in at least 8 weeks of the season, so you could contest for a high finish in the championship, and it will give you $4. If you can race in both the Skip and Spec Racer seasons, you'll get $8. So... here are the schedules, starting tomorrow:

Spec Racer Ford Season:

Week 1 (2013-07-30) Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - Full Course
Week 2 (2013-08-06) Watkins Glen International - Classic
Week 3 (2013-08-13) Autódromo José Carlos Pace - Grand Prix
Week 4 (2013-08-20) Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - Grand Prix
Week 5 (2013-08-27) Okayama International Circuit - Full Course
Week 6 (2013-09-03) Watkins Glen International - Boot
Week 7 (2013-09-10) Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Full
Week 8 (2013-09-17) Oulton Park Circuit - Intl w/no Chicanes
Week 9 (2013-09-24) Summit Point Raceway - Summit Point Raceway
Week 10 (2013-10-01) Canadian Tire Motorsports Park
Week 11 (2013-10-08) Road America - Full Course
Week 12 (2013-10-15) Lime Rock Park - Full Course

Skip Barber Season:

Week 1 (2013-07-30) Summit Point Raceway - Summit Point Raceway
Week 2 (2013-08-06) Road America - Full Course
Week 3 (2013-08-13) Suzuka International Racing Course - Grand Prix
Week 4 (2013-08-20) Watkins Glen International - Boot
Week 5 (2013-08-27) Okayama International Circuit - Full Course
Week 6 (2013-09-03) Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - Grand Prix
Week 7 (2013-09-10) Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca - Full Course
Week 8 (2013-09-17) Canadian Tire Motorsports Park
Week 9 (2013-09-24) Road Atlanta - Full Course
Week 10 (2013-10-01) Lime Rock Park - Full Course
Week 11 (2013-10-08) Sebring International Raceway - International
Week 12 (2013-10-15) Autódromo José Carlos Pace - Grand Prix

Included tracks are in italics. Additional tracks that appear in both series are bolded.

So you could buy:

1 - Skip Barber Formula 2000
2 - Watkins Glen
3 - Autódromo José Carlos Pace
4 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
5 - Canadian Tire Motorsports Park
6 - Road America

For 20% off. Which means you could race 10 weeks in the Spec Racer series and 9 weeks in the Skip Barber series. Two chances to win championships, and $8 to go towards another track pack next season (when they change some of the tracks around).

[edit] I should point out that if you're just starting now, these series won't be available to you until you get out of Rookie, so you might be too late for promotions (which happen this evening). However, once Season 3 begins tomorrow, you can still do a bunch of races in the Rookie series (e.g. the Mazda Cup) and quickly get your Safety Rating to above 4.0 - then you will be fast-tracked to promotion and immediately eligible to race in the Spec Racer and Skip series.

When I play GTR2 the wheel just doesn't feel right. When I turn it the whole wheel just loses all weight on that side and you have to hold it up. not really sure how to describe that :/. Race 07 feels great though. Is there a setting somewhere I don't know about? (DFGT)
Sounds like your FFB is reversed. Logitech wheels need 'inverted' FFB in some games - Race 07 is the same engine so I'm not sure why it's working there and not in GTR2. Maybe GTR2 didn't auto-detect properly. There should be a check box to invert in the options.

Addnan

Sounds like your FFB is reversed. Logitech wheels need 'inverted' FFB in some games - Race 07 is the same engine so I'm not sure why it's working there and not in GTR2. Maybe GTR2 didn't auto-detect properly. There should be a check box to invert in the options.

That fixed it! Haha, stopped playing quite a few games just because I didn't what was going on. Thanks.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thank you guys for all the excellent info! I'm going to be doing some extra research and make my final decision in the next few days. Until I do, I'll probably just hook up my PS3 and play some GT5 to get a feel for it (and not have to pay any more money). It seems like getting into competitive iRacing could be a LOT of fun, but it feels like it may be tough to keep my schedule matching that of the race schedule. Even still, I look forward to things!

Your best bet is to get the free three months through here: https://cadillaccupracing.com/

And just give it a go with the included content. On the road side, the behaviour of the Solstice and Spec Racer is more intimidating than the MX-5, so the Mazda Cup will probably give you better racing in the beginning. Of the included cars the Spec Racer is probably the best to teach you good techniques of smooth inputs, as it rotates very easily when you make the back end light under braking or lifting off the throttle, and it doesn't have ABS so you have to learn to deal with locking up.

If you start to enjoy it then maybe look to buying more content to start more seriously next season, in the same way I described above. Diving in to attempt Season 3 immediately from tomorrow, buying more tracks etc might not be a good idea if you're still unsure about the whole thing.

kanuuna

Your best bet is to get the free three months through here: https://cadillaccupracing.com/

I got the weirdest urge to go get myself a wheel last friday after watching that iRacing Quick Look GB did, and by some miracle of a coincidence, I was able to find Logitech's G27 set used at an online market place. The guy selling it lived right about 15 km out of my home, and he was asking for 230€ (299€ new at retail) with still roughly an year left on the warranty. I sent the guy an e-mail, and I ended up picking the thing up for 170€ later the same day - which I thought was a great deal. Everything worked, not the slightest scratch on anything and he even had the original box.

Now, I've been playing a bit of F1 2012 and, of course, Project Cars - I had only used a gamepad before I got this wheel. It's been a miles different
pun inteded
experience already. I've mostly been driving with just the paddle shifts and the clutch set to automatic, and I'm not exactly setting world records, but I think I'll give this iRacing thing a try. The quick look made the game seem really expensive, but this trial you linked should serve as a good taster.

I'd really like to get one of those chairs now, too, and try Gran Turismo 5/6.

Was never compelled to try it. If it does go, I hope they allow some form of offline mode for the guys who have bought content (if that isn't already available?).

Megasoum

Banned
Was never compelled to try it. If it does go, I hope they allow some form of offline mode for the guys who have bought content (if that isn't already available?).

No idea. Never tried it either. All I know is that it was kinda expensive? Like, even compared to iRacing.

Korezo

I got the weirdest urge to go get myself a wheel last friday after watching that iRacing Quick Look GB did, and by some miracle of a coincidence, I was able to find Logitech's G27 set used at an online market place. The guy selling it lived right about 15 km out of my home, and he was asking for 230€ (299€ new at retail) with still roughly an year left on the warranty. I sent the guy an e-mail, and I ended up picking the thing up for 170€ later the same day - which I thought was a great deal. Everything worked, not the slightest scratch on anything and he even had the original box.

Now, I've been playing a bit of F1 2012 and, of course, Project Cars - I had only used a gamepad before I got this wheel. It's been a miles different
pun inteded
experience already. I've mostly been driving with just the paddle shifts and the clutch set to automatic, and I'm not exactly setting world records, but I think I'll give this iRacing thing a try. The quick look made the game seem really expensive, but this trial you linked should serve as a good taster.

I'd really like to get one of those chairs now, too, and try Gran Turismo 5/6.

Yep, I got the same wheel and started playing GT5 again. I started the endurance races since its bearable to do when using a wheel but sitting on a regular chair for hours been killing. I'm just waiting for the fanatec csl seat to get in stock in 2 weeks to order one.

TJP

So apparently SimRaceWay is on the verge of shutting down.

http://www.virtualr.net/simraceway-shutting-down-soon
I'm glad I gave $20 as a bit of support when I did - SRW is a solid ISIMotor2 based sim with plently of cars and completely free tracks. I therefore do not understand why anyone with a functioning brain would think this is is excellent news. The McLaren deal with SRW hasn't precluded any developers from being able to licence McLaren cars in their sims/games.

Edit: The head of SRW, Phil Davidson, responded to the article:

Hey Guys,

Just got wind of this, unfortunately - for VirtualR traffic volumes - the rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated. However we have had a really tough break of late and so had to let some folk go but the operation is certainly not shutting down and we’re continuing to develop and push out new content – feel free to check out our new Skill Sharding, this weekend saw some of the closest racing we've yet achieved.

All the best,
Phil

P.S. VirtualR admins our name is actually “Simraceway” (not SimRaceWay), our company name is “Ignite Game Technologies” (not Ignite Skill Gaming) and that screenshot is nearly a year old!

Further more of the 100+ cars we've released all of them can actually be acquired for no cost via credits and only a small number have very high prices (if you want to buy them rather than earn them), in fact over 40 of them are less than $1 each.

There are countless cars and tracks that you can simply dump into your GTR2 install folder, but if you're talking about total conversions then you need Power & Glory 3. It is GT Legends content running on the GTR2 version of the engine, taken to a much higher level of quality and attention to detail, with physics overhauled by Aris Vasilakos (Assetto Corsa physics guru). Do it as a standalone install, and ensure you follow the instructions about patching the profile for better FFB.

Addnan

There are countless cars and tracks that you can simply dump into your GTR2 install folder, but if you're talking about total conversions then you need Power & Glory 3. It is GT Legends content running on the GTR2 version of the engine, taken to a much higher level of quality and attention to detail, with physics overhauled by Aris Vasilakos (Assetto Corsa physics guru). Do it as a standalone install, and ensure you follow the instructions about patching the profile for better FFB.

That is quite a massive overhaul. Been playing it for a few hours, pretty great.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was able to un-box my G27 today. Wow. This thing is fantastic!

But! Now I need to figure out how on earth to set this up to use. I feel like my desk isn't going to cut it space wise!

Top Bottom