• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

I was able to un-box my G27 today. Wow. This thing is fantastic!

But! Now I need to figure out how on earth to set this up to use. I feel like my desk isn't going to cut it space wise!

Nice, have fun. Remember there is a learning curve, so be patient, and keep practicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFLTUPbE3Po

great video, a lot of people need to watch this

Yeah, Matt has a great channel. He does a terrific job with all his videos.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, stupid question...

How do I set the wheel/peddles/shifter up? I want to boot up iRacing or my PS3 with GT5, but I seriously have no idea what to hook everything to. Outside of a rig, what are my options?

E: To answer my own question with another question, is it worth investing in a wheel stand? And if so, are there any affordable recommendations that don't suck?

OK, stupid question...

How do I set the wheel/peddles/shifter up? I want to boot up iRacing or my PS3 with GT5, but I seriously have no idea what to hook everything to. Outside of a rig, what are my options?

E: To answer my own question with another question, is it worth investing in a wheel stand? And if so, are there any affordable recommendations that don't suck?

No luck clamping it to your desk? Provided it'll fit on there, that should be perfectly adequate for PC use. The cheapest and easiest way to play GT5 would be to move your PS3 over to your PC and connect it to your monitor via HDMI or DVI adapter, and either coax or optical for the sound.

You're probably interested in playing GT5 on your TV, in which case you absolutely need something to affix it to. Wheel stand, small desk, something.

Somebody else can be of greater help than I, but the Wheel Stand Pro (v2), and Fanatec RennSport are both pretty popular. There are others of course. Better? Worse? Cheaper? I'm afraid I can't be of much help. Google should turn up plenty of results though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
In actually running into trouble with the pedals not staying still more than anything. That's making it very tough to enjoy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are you on carpet?

The gripper on the bottom of the pedals can be adjusted if you haven't already done so.

My desk has one of those plastic floor mats under it. Kind of hard to deal with.

BUT!

I may be turning the loft into my racing/gaming room, so I may just build a really cheap PC that can output to my TV and have the options to play and race on that. In which case, I'd be on carpet.

My desk has one of those plastic floor mats under it. Kind of hard to deal with.

BUT!

I may be turning the loft into my racing/gaming room, so I may just build a really cheap PC that can output to my TV and have the options to play and race on that. In which case, I'd be on carpet.

In the meantime, presuming your desk faces a wall, put something behind the pedals to close the gap to the wall so you can push. Books, milk crate, towels, whatever you've got lying around.

You can also try picking up a cheap rug pad to use, although I'm not sure how well it'll work on plastic. Worth a shot.

http://youtu.be/DizVd-SF5Jg

bee

been driving the skippy for the last couple of day, the ntm v5 is excellent, i'd say it's at least equal with game stock car for the physics now and probably better imo, you can really feel the car and slides are much easier to catch, anyone who calls this iceracing now hasn't played it for a long time

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I need some help.

I was able to drive my G27 a bunch last night. Played some iRacing, Raceroom Experience, and rFactor 2. As I'm still new to the sim world, they all felt similar enough. Most of these comments are regarding the wheel and how it interfaces with the game, but I think some are general driving tips.

iRacing
It took me a while to get used to the interface and the way it runs and launches via website. But once I got it down, it felt very cool. I love how the stats are always rolling by and updating...Definitely a neat way to increase that immersion. I feel like if I ever feel competent enough to compete, this will be a premium way of doing so. Cost wise, I can see how it quickly adds up, but it is what it is.

I did notice that even after setting up my controller, there was no need to use my clutch. I could shift without it and it seemed to have no impact on my driving. Is this normal? Is there a setting I need to change? I turned off any semblance of auto-clutch.

Raceroom Experience
This one was something I grabbed on Steam a while back. I tried it with a controller and decided it was impossible. Once I plugged my wheel in, however, it felt much better. I couldn't figure out how to drive anything but the crazy green paddle-shift car, though.

rFactor 2
The thing I was excited about with rFactor was that there are a TON of tracks out there that people have put together. I love variety and that's something that really gets me excited about racing. Mastering a track to cut my times down by 0.010" isn't as fun to me as being able to seamlessly drive a complex road course. rFactor 2 has that, so it seams.

There were a few things about it I didn't like, though. Mind you, this was the demo...But I also felt like the clutch was unnecessary. I made sure auto-clutch was off, but I could still shift without a problem. But something that was really bizarre was that sometimes, I would be driving, down shift, and then my car would stall (a yellow flag would pop up), and then nothing. I couldn't drive, couldn't rev the engine, nothing. I could shift, and the gears would change, but it's like every other input was dead. Maybe I broke the car? No idea...Any clue what that's about?

In general
So here's something that's really basic, but I don't think I understand how to drive, haha. I've played a bit of GT5 with a controller, but that's a different beast. With a wheel and pedals and H-shifter, things get a biiiiiit more hairy. I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to downshift and brake. And am I supposed to be holding the clutch in? I mean hell, I've never driven stick, so this is all new to me.

When I played GT5, I played with auto-clutch. This wasn't an issue. But now, I'm sort of lost. I (vaguely) understand driving lines, braking before the turn, accelerating out, etc...But I don't understand how to properly do said things with a wheel. Tips here would be great.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the increased level of realism this provides. Once I get it all sorted out, I think it's going to be even more exciting. This has definitely given me reason to preorder GT6, too. :)

iRacing
I did notice that even after setting up my controller, there was no need to use my clutch. I could shift without it and it seemed to have no impact on my driving. Is this normal? Is there a setting I need to change? I turned off any semblance of auto-clutch.
Depends on the car, as they have different transmission models. Cars like the Skip Barber have a 'dogbox' sequential, which can be shifted without a clutch, but requires some throttle lift. The McLaren has a semi-auto, which doesn't require the clutch or a throttle lift, and it even prevents you from downshifting too early. The more basic cars like the MX-5 and Spec Racer have synchromesh like a typical manual road car, so you need to use the clutch. However if you attempt to shift when the revs match the next gear up or down, it is possible to get it into gear without the clutch, but very unreliable. If you are able to shift happily up and down without a clutch in the MX-5 then you haven't disabled the clutch aid...

Note that iRacing has anti-stall when you stop so there is an auto clutch even when shift aids are disabled. In the pits it will seem like you can shift through the gears without a clutch in any car, but you won't be able to once some of them are rolling.

rFactor 2
There were a few things about it I didn't like, though. Mind you, this was the demo...But I also felt like the clutch was unnecessary. I made sure auto-clutch was off, but I could still shift without a problem. But something that was really bizarre was that sometimes, I would be driving, down shift, and then my car would stall (a yellow flag would pop up), and then nothing. I couldn't drive, couldn't rev the engine, nothing. I could shift, and the gears would change, but it's like every other input was dead. Maybe I broke the car? No idea...Any clue what that's about?
Unlike iRacing, you can stall the car in ISI sims. Very likely that's what happened if you're not using the clutch. You may have to configure a 'starter' button to get the engine running again. You can also blow the engine in most sims, but you should see smoke... ;)

In general
So here's something that's really basic, but I don't think I understand how to drive, haha. I've played a bit of GT5 with a controller, but that's a different beast. With a wheel and pedals and H-shifter, things get a biiiiiit more hairy. I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to downshift and brake. And am I supposed to be holding the clutch in? I mean hell, I've never driven stick, so this is all new to me.
I would recommend watching this famous tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQRmYMlmdqM

It's amusingly dated, but still entirely relevant.

Then go to the Reference section in iRacing, and watch all the videos in the Driving School. Some things will be repeated, but no harm in watching two different perspectives.

When I played GT5, I played with auto-clutch. This wasn't an issue. But now, I'm sort of lost. I (vaguely) understand driving lines, braking before the turn, accelerating out, etc...But I don't understand how to properly do said things with a wheel. Tips here would be great.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the increased level of realism this provides. Once I get it all sorted out, I think it's going to be even more exciting. This has definitely given me reason to preorder GT6, too. :)
Yep, GT5 (and 6, it seems) has no proper transmission model. It sucks. You can learn some very bad habits in GT!

been driving the skippy for the last couple of day, the ntm v5 is excellent, i'd say it's at least equal with game stock car for the physics now and probably better imo, you can really feel the car and slides are much easier to catch, anyone who calls this iceracing now hasn't played it for a long time

I've only done a few laps in it, but it's a dramatic improvement. It used to be an evil little car on corner entry. A fraction too much speed and it would go around. Now it's fully catchable. Ntm4 helped a little, ntm5 helped a ton. Way better.

bee

I've only done a few laps in it, but it a dramatic improvement. It used to be an evil little car on corner entry. A fraction too much speed and it would go around. Now it's fully catchable. Ntm4 helped a little, ntm5 helped a ton. Way better.

yeah it's almost a completely different car, try lime rock or brands hatch it's so much fun. just updated rfactor 2 and tried the skippy on there and it's not even in the same league as the iracing one now. it also highlighted how much an ssd helps loading, i have gsc and iracing installed on an 840 pro and tracks take about 10 secs to load, tried the 433mb(lol) rfactor 2 version of silverstone installed on a 3tb WD red and it took about 1min20 to load, completely unacceptable

also updated my graphics drivers and nvidia hasn't forgotten us! the latest beta drivers have added a couple of great shortcuts for surround users, ctrl+alt+r is a life saver for morning pre work web browsing and windows opening off screen if you only have one active

surround9ry3b.png

edit: a great oculus rift iracing video has been uploaded to youtube, it really shows you what it's like to use it minus the 3D of course, just wish it was that resolution on the rift :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_X5kyL13ek&hd=1

Megasoum

Banned
Ok soapbox time...

I REALLY wish all the pc sim devs would start putting multiple bindings for the transmission in every games from now on. It's such a simple thing to do but almost nobody does it!

I want to be able to bind both my paddles and my sequential shifter to down/upshifts. I know I can use Joy2Key (or other similar softwares) to workaround the issue but it's always a pain in the ass to have to deal with that.

Megasoum

Banned
A few games (pCARS and Dirt 2/3) that have better support do it out of the box for my DFGT. Its very useful.

That's a feature of your DFGT I think . There's no way to bind more than one button to a gear shift in pCARS. So, with my Fanatec CSR I can't bind both.

Watevaman

That's what I mean. I imagine all the wheels that have profiles in pCARS will have both the shifter and paddles (if applicable) already bound to shifting I would think.

GT5 has a transmission model? clutch in, shift, release clutch.
That's not what I mean. There's no point in using a clutch in GT5. All cars shift as if they're running the latest dual clutch gearbox, with instant shifts even in vintage cars, and there seems to be no penalty for shifting up and down impossibly fast.

I've been playing Shift 2 with the community patch and Polish Tyre Mod and I've been enjoying it but man the performance is disappointing on my 7970. It fluctuates between 40 and 60 and I have AA and motion blur disabled and shadows to low and no matter what I do I can't seem to improve performance.

Megasoum

Banned
I've been playing Shift 2 with the community patch and Polish Tyre Mod and I've been enjoying it but man the performance is disappointing on my 7970. It fluctuates between 40 and 60 and I have AA and motion blur disabled and shadows to low and no matter what I do I can't seem to improve performance.

That's weird...I used to be able to run it at constant 60 on my old setup (either my 570 or my 6870...can't remember last time I actually played it). I didn't have all the settings maxed out but it's was close to maxed out.

That's discouraging. Doing some quick searching and others with the same GPU are getting much better performance at max settings. I guess it could potentially be CPU bond but I have not encountered too many games where my i7 930 @ 3.9 Ghz has been a bottleneck. It's getting a little older now but it typically holds its own. Maybe it's a performance issue associated to the community patch or the Polish Tyre Mod? I don't know.

bee

Thanks! Also does anyone use and recommend a buttkicker? I been watching some YouTube videos and I want to try one out but not sure if its worth it.

buy one tell us what they're like! :p i actually went to buy one a few weeks back, was all set to click buy then i thought hey i'll just check i have enough room on the chairs central support to attach the buttkicker (gamer 2) to.....my chair doesn't have a central support, it's a good one too so i won't be replacing it

just ordered the 458 wheel for the t500 instead, amazon are only getting them on the 14th though

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow Project CARS really needs to chill with the contrast. Human eyes adjust, you know. Yeah the car model is divine but when the other 90% in view looks way better on rFactor 2...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Weird, after the patch I could run it maxed out at 1080 with 2xAA at 50/60fps on a HD5850.
It's Shift 1 which runs like crap for me and was basically unplayable pre-patch 2.

Weird, after the patch I could run it maxed out at 1080 with 2xAA at 50/60fps on a HD5850.
It's Shift 1 which runs like crap for me and was basically unplayable pre-patch 2.

I'm using the 1.1 community patch prerelease and I'm reading that it may have issues with the Steam version of the game. I'm not having any bug or stability issues but maybe they suggest not to use it with the steam version because of performance issues? I wish I knew. I'm not experiencing any performance issues in any other game.

TJP

Sign me up! It wasn't too expensive beforehand though, was it? And that's the full thing?
For all who do not know FVA is a time trial sim - there is no weather and no time of day changes. What you are buying is a Kunos made sim with 3 laser scanned tracks and 3 cars whose handling was fettled in accordance with Ferrari's demands - hence the 458 understeers a little too much as Ferrari wanted it handle in a 'safe' manner.

Shaneus

For all who do not know FVA is a time trial sim - there is no weather and no time of day changes. What you are buying is a Kunos made sim with 3 laser scanned tracks and 3 cars whose handling was fettled in accordance with Ferrari's demands - hence the 458 understeers a little too much as Ferrari wanted it handle in a 'safe' manner.
Oh, I knew that there was a tiny amount of stuff, I just wasn't sure whether there was one or two more tracks/cars.

You were implying that I didn't know, yes? ;)

TJP

Oh, I knew that there was a tiny amount of stuff, I just wasn't sure whether there was one or two more tracks/cars.

You were implying that I didn't know, yes? ;)
Nah, it was more for those who may read this thread and don't know what FVA is or was as the competiton closed ages ago. Last time I checked, all the FVA money goes directly to Kunos.

I did read a post somewhere that another FVA might be made with the Assetto Corsa graphics and physics engines but that could be just fantasy level BS.

Shaneus

Nah, it was more for those who may read this thread and don't know what FVA is or was as the competiton closed ages ago. Last time I checked, all the FVA money goes directly to Kunos.
Oh really? Did Kunos only get 100% of money once that comp ended? I'd assume it was a different ratio while it was on, but it's a great promo for both companies involved. Pay a small fee to get a very refined, tight sim with the possibility you could get to drive in a real life (insert manufacturer here) car. Everyone wins.

Megasoum

Banned
huh...so something is not clear about the Ferrari deal...

So I have the basic package already (Fiorano + F10)... the website says 3 cars + 3 tracks for 5 Euros but ifI click on that the only thing I can buy is the "Adrenaline Pack" which is the 150 Italia + 458... No mention of the other two tracks anywhere.

TJP

huh...so something is not clear about the Ferrari deal...

So I have the basic package already (Fiorano + F10)... the website says 3 cars + 3 tracks for 5 Euros but ifI click on that the only thing I can buy is the "Adrenaline Pack" which is the 150 Italia + 458... No mention of the other two tracks anywhere.
You'll get the tracks with the Adrenaline Pack.

From the RSC FVA review: 'The recently released Adrenaline Pack adds the Ferrari 150° Italia + 458 Challenge to the F10, along with the Fiorano, Mugello and Nurburgring circuits, all accessed with the existing Ferrari Virtual Academy game'. I bought the complete pack eons ago and have to rely on adrenaline pack reviews to get the info.

Megasoum

Banned
You'll get the tracks with the Adrenaline Pack.

From the RSC FVA review: 'The recently released Adrenaline Pack adds the Ferrari 150° Italia + 458 Challenge to the F10, along with the Fiorano, Mugello and Nurburgring circuits, all accessed with the existing Ferrari Virtual Academy game'. I bought the complete pack eons ago and have to rely on adrenaline pack reviews to get the info.

Cool thanks.

Top Bottom