• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Watevaman

Hey there, I work at Eutechnyx on the NASCAR game and can assure you that the codes are genuine, they just get taken very quickly. We rarely get people saying they got them either but there really is nothing we can do about that.

Am sorry if it looks like it is rigged but again, I promise that it is not.

Did you work on the Ferrari challenge game? That was one of my favorite console racers of this gen.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey there, I work at Eutechnyx on the NASCAR game and can assure you that the codes are genuine, they just get taken very quickly. We rarely get people saying they got them either but there really is nothing we can do about that.

Am sorry if it looks like it is rigged but again, I promise that it is not.

That's fine but seriously, if you ever do giveaways like that again in the future, never put steam codes "in the clear" on Facebook or Twitter, there's bots that scan and get codes before any humans can touch them. Always remvoe one of the letters with a hint of what it is or something like that to make sure that a human is getting it. I can assure you that codes that show up directly on twitter like that are almost always taken by bots.

JamboGT

I will have a word with the guys that do that and let them know :)

Hey Watevaman, I didn't actually, though I bought and played that game when it came out. I only started at ETX about a year and a half ago, been working on NASCAR mostly!

If not trucks vs. karts, how about trucks vs. Barrichello in a kart? ;)

Now we're talkin'!

LC7vALZ.jpg

Hey Watevaman, I didn't actually, though I bought and played that game when it came out. I only started at ETX about a year and a half ago, been working on NASCAR mostly!

I have to try your game, i keep seeing the ads on jayski.com and i would really appreciate a good Nascar game.

Is it closer to papyrus sims or more like the casual likeness of the old EA games?

DD

Should have a demo.

Cool to have you here. Now... remember this?

Test_Drive_Le_Mans_Coverart.png

Now... what about this?

FIA-WEC-Silverstone-Start.jpg

Huh? Huh?

Please?

PLEASE?

Coldsnap

So what's up? Buy a Logitech G27 now? or wait to see if they make anything that supports next generation consoles (forza would be cool) and PC?

Shaneus

Now we're talkin'!
Bahahahaha.

SCool to have you here. Now... remember this?

Test_Drive_Le_Mans_Coverart.png
Oh god, that game.

THAT GAME.

Made (at least mostly) in Melbourne too, I believe.

Looked great in it's day, with amazing attention to detail, a FULL NIGHT CYCLE (it's no use, I know Turn 10 don't come into any kind of "sim" thread, lolz) and captured everything perfectly. Glowing brakes, trackmarks in grass, headlights... oh man, I loved it.

I wonder how the emulated DC version runs on PC? Bet it looks awesome upscaled.

On that note, I'd *kill* for a modern-day version of that... that's officially licensed and mainstream enough to make money for whoever tackles it.

VVV Alan recently did an interview with Darren Jobling from Eutechnyx. Really enjoyed it. Nice walk down memory lane with a dev that's been around a long time.

http://youtu.be/cp20y91DTJA
Unrelated, but Alan caught up with Rushy (of Evolution) at Gamescom to talk about Driveclub. So I guess we can expect something soon on that front?

Shaneus

Have you played the DC version? Able to compare? Because I know the PS2 and PC ports were released around the same time and I believe the PS2 one was supposed to be pretty woeful compared to the DC one. Curious to know how the PC one fared.

Shaneus

I have access to a Dreamcast which I should borrow it and the game along with Le Mans and MSR 8)

Shaneus, you read this yet? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77999117&postcount=608
Yes I did :) (and replied!)

If you wanted to borrow those games, I think I know where all my copies are (emphasis on "think"). If you had trouble tracking down copies, I'd be glad to post them to you. It's been a while since MSR and 355, but I remember LM24 aging surprisingly well I don't think MSR will, but I have a feeling 355 might... there's a lot of detail gone into that one car.

I found a triple screen 355 Challenge coin-op a few weeks ago in great condition, couldn't resist chucking a couple of quid in.

Hard as fucking nails and way ahead of it's time.

TJP

If you wanted to borrow those games, I think I know where all my copies are (emphasis on "think"). If you had trouble tracking down copies, I'd be glad to post them to you. It's been a while since MSR and 355, but I remember LM24 aging surprisingly well I don't think MSR will, but I have a feeling 355 might... there's a lot of detail gone into that one car.
Thanks for the very generous offer Shaneus. I know my brother in law owns both MSR and LM24 so obtaining copies of both won't be an issue. Getting them and the DC out of storage might be though 8)

TJP

After the debacle that was F1 2012 on PC, anyone looking for a freelance job as QA tester for Codemasters should preorder F1 2013 ASAP.

I'm sure I'll end up with F1 2013 at some point. I've played all the previous ones on console, and for me it's a better fit. I want to have one last hurrah with the speed wheel too, and I found them to be a good combo.

RBR is God tier. I don't have it installed right now, but I really should.

TJP

RBR is like GP500 - hard as nails because of the uncompromised physics & zero hand holding. Both are still going strong thanks to great communities and up-to-date mods.

Watevaman

Speaking of F1 games, I recently popped in F1CE for PS3 and damn if I don't think that's still the best "all-in-one" F1 package out there. The commentary, the UI, the physics, etc. are all amazing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Not going to renew my sub anyway so If you guys want I've got iRacing credit promo codes.

$25 for $20
$100 for $75

PM me if you want 'em.

Shaneus

From the Assetto Corsa thread, for those that may have missed it:

Also some really nice impressions by Alessandro Balzan - Race car driver. Alfa Romeo 147 cup Champion 2002. Porsche Carrera Cup Italian Champion 2009, 2010, 2011. Ferrari Challenge European and World Champion 2012.

2JV0N49.jpg

ENG translation
Today, thanks to the staff of Assetto Corsa and Luca Casarotto, I had the opportunity to test their simulator.
I'd like to state that I'm not paid by Kunos Simulazione, except for the coffee, and indeed I'd like to thank them for their commitment and dedication. I'm looking forward to buy a copy immediately.

The impression, never had with other simulators, is the feeling of the car, the feel of the tyres / adhesion and especially not having to do "forced" trajectories where the grip is higher. I started at Imola, professional bias, with the 458 gt2, the car with which I won the 6h Vallelunga in real life.
In terms of graphics the combination of track/car give a staggering result, but I do not give that much importance to the beauty. I go out of the pits on cold tires and forcing immediately I can feel that the car is not ready .. taking it easy for 2-3 laps and apart than overshooting the braking point a couple of times, I never go in spin. It's not me that is good but the fact that I finally feel so gradually the loss of grip on the gas. Counter steering gives an obvious waste of laptime, but also big satisfaction for having controlled oversteer in third and fourth gear.
I could never drive like this right out of the box with any simulator, 5-6 consecutive laps without crashing heavily somewhere. Sorry in advance for the long post, I will add details if anyone is interested.

Trying the 599xxEvo, that I've really driven, the admiration for Assetto Corsa increases. From the sound to the violence of the acceleration, to the active rear wing, stunning in the replays... and then a bit of vintage Lotus Senna (98T) where you are brainwashed... manual gearbox, locking the wheels, turbo lag... thank god for modern electronics! Beautiful and cursed at the same time.

Changing to the road car BMW M3 where Aris gave me a little lesson on drifting... you can appreciate the drive-ability and the sincerity of the steering wheel even more.. Watching the replay at Magione of car drifting, let you speechless, but not with me driving eh!!

I have one word to describe Assetto Corsa. SENSATIONAL CORSA! I'd like to thank all the guys at Assetto Corsa for the opportunity. Last thing, I wanted to write what I really think based on my real life experience, so it should be taken as a free personal thinking that you might agree or not! Ciao!

Dash Kappei

I used my own $20 one already, but I'll pm you before they expire in a couple of days to see if you still have it. Maybe I'll double dip.

I don't know how all that you're mentioning works, but if you're absolutely positive you're going to use it then I can give it to you straight away. As long as they won't go wasted I'm fine with it :)

JamboGT

Bit late to reply!

I actually had the Le Mans game on PS1, loved being able to change revs and everything, was a lot of fun! I would love to work on a Le Mans game as well, the variety of cars on track and the difference in speed, allied with the changing conditions would be great to work on.

Regarding the codes, in the future we will embed them in an image so they can't just be copied :)

Where NASCAR 2013 stands in regards to being a sim. I would say it is in between the Papyrus games and EAs games. We are more forgiving than a full on sim but you do really have to take care of tyres and not overdrive or you will lose time/slide around a lot late on in a stint. It really is quite challenging on champion with worn tyres!

mrsmr2

It's a pity AC is Steam only. I'm not a Steam hater (I have a lot of Steam games) but I prefer to not spend lots of money (base game plus future dlc) on something I won't own.

Hopefully, there will be a retail version at some point.

Or, it comes up in a Steam Sale ;-)

Addnan

Given the hassle some people are having with Steam forcing users to convert all of the Race 07 content to a new file format, I'd say you're not alone in this thought.

What happened? Isn't that just the new content delivery system that steam have to make downloads smaller? Uncompressed everything should still be the same.

TJP

What happened? Isn't that just the new content delivery system that steam have to make downloads smaller? Uncompressed everything should still be the same.
It was decided by whomever running Steam to convert the Race '07 series to the new, more efficient, file format - this has nothing to do with SimBin. This change was tried some time ago and was a complete disaster. Looking on the Steam community thread, many people are having issues and some are reporting that they've lost all of their mods.

What I find amusing is that all of my Race '07 content converted fine, I can play every DLC pack, expansion pack and the base Race '07 just fine but when I verify the game cache of each there will always be at least 2 files that are corrupted and require a download to fix. I've completed the verify game cache process twice since the conversion completed and every time I do 'corrupt' files need to be reacquired; often it's the same 7.9MB download for Race '07!

TJP

From reading the SimBin beta forum it appears Race '07 and the expansions are the last games using the old file system and Valve/Steam won't allow SimBin's older titles to remain using legacy file structures nor allow SimBin to revert to the old system ever again. Steam are trying to fix the various issues they've created!

@DD

I'm getting stutters in corners in Race '07 etc which is laughable as I never had this prior to the file conversion. RaceRoom RE runs at maximum settings without an issue (I'm using a factory OC'd EVGA GTX 680).

Dilly

Banned
Holy shit, that GT6 audio video on VirtualR is one of the saddest engine sounds I've ever heard.

It's not a PC sim, but damn.

Megasoum

Banned
Holy shit, that GT6 audio video on VirtualR is one of the saddest engine sounds I've ever heard.

It's not a PC sim, but damn.

Are those the SRT videos? I saw them pop-up in my Youtube feed but haven't watched yet. I got a GPVWC race to watch first lol.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah ok I just watched the GT6 videos... as always, the graphics are good and the physics are probably ok but the audio (the car, the tires and the collisions) are the worse... It was already terrible in GT5 and it's not better in 6.

TJP

I can't believe what I'm hearing with GT6 - after many hours with RaceRoom, GSC and pCARS, going back to this makes my ears bleed from the awful sounds.

Dash Kappei

Sure, send the $20 code over. If I have it, I'll use it :) Thank you!

Replied to you in PM.
I thought they were codes but on further inspections they're actually links to click "which will then automatically apply the discount/s to your shopping basket" (says the promo email), so I need an address where to forward you iRacing's email.

Top Bottom