• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Replied to you in PM.
I thought they were codes but on further inspections they're actually links to click "which will then automatically apply the discount/s to your shopping basket" (says the promo email), so I need an address where to forward you iRacing's email.

I sent you back a pm earlier. Need me to resend it? The promo expires in 2 hours, so hopefully I catch you.

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Final comparison between Gran Turismo 5 and Project CARS (pre-Alpha) in the king of the circuits, the "Green Hell", Nürburgring Nordschleife. The comparison is both from the cockpit of the Ford GT40 Mk IV.

I hope you enjoy it!

I clicked on the Twitter link, but there was no other info sadly. Although I did learn that 'preorder' in Italian is 'preorder'... that's at least three words I know now.

TJP

YES!!! I cannot wait to order my copy of Assetto Corsa.

My body could not be any more fucking ready. Hoping these guys smash the fuck out of this, take it to the big boys with budgets and staff 10 times the size of Kunos.
There is no doubt in my mind (and that of almost anyone who's played any Kunos sim) that Assetto Corsa will be brilliant. The only disappointment will be waiting for features that didn't make it into version 1.0

Shaneus

YES!!! I cannot wait to order my copy of Assetto Corsa.

There is no doubt in my mind (and that of almost anyone who's played any Kunos sim) that Assetto Corsa will be brilliant. The only disappointment will be waiting for features that didn't make it into version 1.0
I'm sure it will, but I really hope it's not that brilliance that seems to only attract sim racers. I don't know how it could be done, but if they're able to somehow able to manage making an honest-to-god sim racer that's genuinely able to appeal to a wider audience (even if it's only to, say, hardcore *console* racers) then they could have a winner on their hands should they choose to go down the indie-pub route on PS4.

TJP

I'm sure it will, but I really hope it's not that brilliance that seems to only attract sim racers. I don't know how it could be done, but if they're able to somehow able to manage making an honest-to-god sim racer that's genuinely able to appeal to a wider audience (even if it's only to, say, hardcore *console* racers) then they could have a winner on their hands should they choose to go down the indie-pub route on PS4.
If only the criteria to sell in huge numbers were sublime physics and tyre modelling...

Shaneus

If only the criteria to sell in huge numbers were sublime physics and tyre modelling...
I'm thinking more if they can wrap it with a decent (friendly, eye-candy filled) front-end and some semblance of a career mode. Hell, if they could get some narration in there (*especially* if it was in Italian and had subtitles, just to make it feel more foreign and different to English-speaking markets) it could be badarse and a great antidote to console racers.

TJP

Interview with WRC4 developers >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAgGpxuiId0

Nice to hear they are making improvements regarding physics, wheel support and audio..
Thanks for posting the video; WRC 4 always sounds rather promising. I hope Milestone optimise their graphics engine because MotoGP '13 - which apparently uses the same graphics engine as the WRC games - is a resource hog for VERY average graphics. Perhaps Nvidia can't make decent drivers for Milestone games...

Shaneus

Thanks for posting the video; WRC 4 always sounds rather promising. I hope Milestone optimise their graphics engine because MotoGP '13 - which apparently uses the same graphics engine as the WRC games - is a resource hog for VERY average graphics. Perhaps Nvidia can't make decent drivers for Milestone games...
Not just an nVidia thing, tiger.

PS. Did you see at the start of that video?
qB6FwOS.png

Lucid were there. Those guys should be glad I didn't go.

TJP

Not just an nVidia thing, tiger.

PS. Did you see at the start of that video?
qB6FwOS.png

Lucid were there. Those guys should be glad I didn't go.
I'm glad to read the issue isn't just for Nvidia users.

I did see Lucid in the video 8) I see Lucid are bombing fecalbook with posts for their latest iOS game 2K Drive and they posted 'there are no plans for a console release'. Looks like DriveClub will be my PGR replacement.

Shaneus

I'm glad to read the issue isn't just for Nvidia users.

I did see Lucid in the video 8) I see Lucid are bombing fecalbook with posts for their latest iOS game 2K Drive and they posted 'there are no plans for a console release'. Looks like DriveClub will be my PGR replacement.
Pretty much the same on this end. I'm tempted to have a look at that driving game now it's not F2P, but I've noticed they still have F2P-esque IAP, so I don't know what it's going to be like.

I'm hoping WRC4 is a big step up from WRC3. I love WRC3, but it still felt like a budget European title in presentation and production-wise. I like what Milestone are trying to do and really hope they do well, but I feel like unless you're doing a AAA-scoped game in the same ballpark as FM or DC (or NFS) then you might as well be making a budget title or hardcore sim for all the audience you'll get.
Perhaps I'd like to see them collaborate with another dev who can give them that quality whilst still being Milestone.

amar212

The most interesting news there is 900 degree steering support, so hopefully they have actually looked at how ridiculous their steering system was in WRC3 (blatantly optimised for gamepads), and given it proper linearity, real FFB and no deadzones.

This, this and this.

So looking forward to it.

Megasoum

Banned
Fuck it, I'm reinstalling Shift 2 and starting a new career (my old career is forever lost in limbo because of stupid EA auth servers programming).

Megasoum

Banned
Got tired of trying to find a proper Fanatec setting for Shift 2 so fuck that....

I started a new career in PGR4 instead. Shaneus will be proud! lol.

This game is still so amazing. Still look great too. I just wish it was on pc in 1080p with a ton of AA.

TJP

This game is still so amazing. Still look great too. I just wish it was on pc in 1080p with a ton of AA.
PGR was a fantastic series that MS kind of forgot about after PGR 2...PGR 4 remains my favourite racer on the 360 and an all-time fav as I never had more grins per minute playing any other racer - it remains a sublime experience.

A PC port would be awesome - but with MS as the IP owner it'll never happen. Perhaps a 360 emulator in a few years time will see it happen. DriveClub looks to be a next-gen version of PGR and is one reason I'll be buying a PS4.

Shaneus

Got tired of trying to find a proper Fanatec setting for Shift 2 so fuck that....

:D

PS. Play it in cockpit mode. With no HUD (unless you have to, I guess with things like cone challenges). Bike cockpit view is epic as shit, too.

PGR was a fantastic series that MS kind of forgot about after PGR 2...PGR 4 remains my favourite racer on the 360 and an all-time fav as I never had more grins per minute playing any other racer - it remains a sublime experience.
This. It may have been "arcadier" than PGR3 and back, but it was so fucking perfect I'm yet to find anything that is quite as fun. Honestly believe that DC will hit that bullseye no worries.

Megasoum

Banned
:D

PS. Play it in cockpit mode. With no HUD (unless you have to, I guess with things like cone challenges). Bike cockpit view is epic as shit, too.

Yeah I'm in cockpit mode.... but fuck bikes. It's 4 wheels or nothing lol.

PGR4 is also my favorite but I'm biased. It's the only game I've seen that includes Quebec City. That's 2 and half hour drive away from here and I used to live there so I can actually recognize the streets. It's amazing.

Shaneus

Seriously, even in TT mode or something, try riding on a bike in cockpit without HUD. Even better with rain, it's *insane*.

TJP

It may have been "arcadier" than PGR3 and back, but it was so fucking perfect I'm yet to find anything that is quite as fun. Honestly believe that DC will hit that bullseye no worries.
I remember reading MS asked Bizarre to dial back the physics in PGR 3 as PGR was encroaching into Forza's territory. I wonder what BC could have made if they received better support.

Shaneus

I remember reading MS asked Bizarre to dial back the physics in PGR 3 as PGR was encroaching into Forza's territory. I wonder what BC could have made if they received better support.
A marketing budget? A release date not near the launch of the biggest game on the console to date?

Megasoum

Banned
So Nascar The game 2013 is a midweek madness right now for 20$... Which means it can be bought for about 10$ with keys... This is tempting.

TJP

Forget NASCAR, buy GSC 2013. From Reiza's FB page - 'The game will se for US$ 24.90 and it will be soon available for pre-order along with a special promotion. Stay tuned!'

More details:

• The new version of the acclaimed Game Stock Car will be released by the end of September. GSC2013 will include all the cars and tracks content from GSC2012 developed with new improvements, along with a variety of new cars and tracks with their own unique appeal to the enthusiast simracer.
  • With GSC2013, you race from dusk to dawn and also at night! A new feature in GSC2013 is 24h time cycle - all tracks are equipped with their actual night lightning. Customize the race starting time and time acceleration to run whenever you wish.
  • The renowned GSC2012 formula cars are 'extensively revised' for an even more realistic experience.
  • Opala Stock Car, the first car used in the early years of the series has been added to GSC 2013
  • The Copersucar-Fittipaldi FD04, the first car driven by Emerson Fittipaldi in the team that carried his name has been added to GSC 2013.
  • GSC2013 will include 125cc karts, in direct and shifter variants. Included are 'two temples of brazilian karting': Granja Viana and Interlagos, with several alternative layouts.

TJP

I'm buying GSC 2013 simply because Reiza are a great indie dev team making one of the best racing sims currently available. Adding a few more cars plus karts and fettled the Forumla cars and day-night cycle is music to my ears.

ISI need to let Reiza work with ISIMotor2.5 ASAP.

Shaneus

When's it out?

BTW I'd be surprised if they didn't offer some kind of discount... given how they've operated with offering free updates to previous owners, it'd be strange to go from that to charging full-price for everyone.

Having said that, bring it the fuck on, that game looks insane. I'll pay whatever they ask.

PS. It feels like they're doing what Milestone *should* be doing with their licenses. Heck, I reckon they could probably work together quite well, being smaller(ish) teams than the likes of Codemasters and Criterion and such.

Shaneus

tumblr_lfaw9oHBMO1qfjrr6o1_250.gif

This made me laugh... on Reiza's FB page:
Game Stock Car 2013 celebrates a great brazilian adventure!

The Copersucar-Fittipaldi FD04 was the first car driven by Emerson Fittipaldi in the team that carried his name. On his first race at Interlagos 1976 he took this car to fifth place on the grid.

Feel the "rush" of adrenaline by reliving this great moment on GSC2013, in what promises to be one of the best sim-racing experiences you will ever have.
lolz
Loved this comment on VirtualR as well:
omsPa4j.png

TJP

When's it out?
First dot point I made - end of September for $24.90 USD ;) a 'special promotion' is going to be offered too.

BTW I'd be surprised if they didn't offer some kind of discount... given how they've operated with offering free updates to previous owners, it'd be strange to go from that to charging full-price for everyone.

Having said that, bring it the fuck on, that game looks insane. I'll pay whatever they ask.
We'll have to wait and see on discounts for current GSC/Formula Truck owners - $24.90 is sweet FA for a proper racing sim. Look at the additions: full 24 hour cycle, 125cc karts plus two new cars and more tracks. Given how generous Rieza were with the upgrade to the 2012 season for free, additional cars (3 Formula series open wheelers, Mini Challenge and the Camaro) and track updates - all free - you'd have to be a miserly bastard (or bitch) to begrudge the asking price for GSC 2013. Sublime post release support will almost be assured given prior releases.

Fact is Reiza shame very nearly every developer and the PC sim racing community should reward Reiza by supporting them.

PS. It feels like they're doing what Milestone *should* be doing with their licenses. Heck, I reckon they could probably work together quite well, being smaller(ish) teams than the likes of Codemasters and Criterion and such.
I agree but to be fair, MotoGP 13 is a huge step up for Milestone. It remains a LONG way off the all-round brilliance of SBK 2001 and is laughed at by the people playing GP Bikes. It's also plagued by bugs and issues that should have been sorted long before it released...Here's hoping Milestone create a sublime experience with WRC 4 and/or MotoGP '14 (or perhaps SBK 2014)

Shaneus

We'll have to wait and see on discounts for current GSC/Formula Truck owners - $24.90 is sweet FA for a proper racing sim. Look at the additions: full 24 hour cycle, 125cc karts plus two new cars and more tracks. Given how generous Rieza were with the upgrade to the 2012 season for free, additional cars (3 Formula series open wheelers, Mini Challenge and the Camaro) and track updates - all free - you'd have to be a miserly bastard (or bitch) to begrudge the asking price for GSC 2013. Sublime post release support will almost be assured given prior releases.

Fact is Reiza shame very nearly every developer and the PC sim racing community should reward Reiza by supporting them.
Oh yeah, that's why I said I'd still buy it anyway :) Just surprising that there's nothing mentioned considering it was such a big thing with 2012.

TJP

Oh yeah, that's why I said I'd still buy it anyway :) Just surprising that there's nothing mentioned considering it was such a big thing with 2012.
Posts from the Reiza guys from RaceDdepartment:

A lot of work has gone into updating the GSC2012 content, and trust me it's very time consuming when you have to revamp 15 tracks, so it's not just about the new content. And don't assume that the content on release is all the new content there will be.
The Copersucar and the GP75 are 2 different cars. They race in the same series but you're getting 2 different vehicles there. The new V8s were not included in GSC12 as I have redone EVERY texture used in the Stock vehicles. They also have brand new physics and sounds. There are 3 different karts included, 1 which has bodywork.

You are not rebuying old content. You're buying new content (including several circuits which were not included in GSC 12) and the old content is being given to you for free. In the new game you get brand new Stocks, 2 1970s F1 cars, 3 different Karts and a Chevrolet Opala. For free you're getting the Formula Reiza, Formula Classic, Formula 3, Mini and Camaro from GSC12.

Just discovered someone has added a Porsche Supercup mod to GSC 2012...very interesting 8)

Shaneus

Ahhhhh, that makes sense. So to clarify, there wasn't *really* enough new content in GSC12 for them to validate charging existing buyers anything, but with this there is. Fair enough! They deserve every penny :)

Original + free 2012, 2013 + free 2014 is perfectly fine in my book. I only mentioned a discount because I think they may have at one point. What would it have been anyway 10 bucks? I'm certainly not going to quibble over a cup of coffee per yearly update extra.

My only wish is that they'd email anyone who bought 2012 in the last month or two and offer them a deal.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Got a 12 months sub 50%off promo for iRacing (comes at $50 instead of $100), new accounts ONLY. If anyone's interested shoot me a PM.

Can't wait for GSC13, looks boss! :)

Shaneus

A lot of people (in this thread at least) seem to be on the GSC wagon. Reckon it's worth starting an OT once it's out and maybe getting a little time trial league/comp going?

I'm in Australia so any actual multiplayer would be out, but anything time-trially would probably be pretty fucking awesome.

Watevaman

This thread is making me miss my DFGT setup. I don't have enough room at school to have it in my room so I'm stuck playing pCARS on a 360 pad.

Polyphony

A lot of people (in this thread at least) seem to be on the GSC wagon. Reckon it's worth starting an OT once it's out and maybe getting a little time trial league/comp going?

I'm in Australia so any actual multiplayer would be out, but anything time-trially would probably be pretty fucking awesome.

I am so down with this. It's one of the reasons why I end up playing more iRacing than GSC. It's so much easier to have quality online racing with the first. Having a GAF club would save me a couple of dollars :)

TJP

A lot of people (in this thread at least) seem to be on the GSC wagon.
That's because mostly smart people post in this thread with the occasional troll to keep us entertained ;) I won't be surprised if GSC 2013 wins GOTY again on RaceDepartment..

Reckon it's worth starting an OT once it's out and maybe getting a little time trial league/comp going? I'm in Australia so any actual multiplayer would be out, but anything time-trially would probably be pretty fucking awesome.
An OT would be good as we could post links to updates, extras (cars and tracks) and mods (official and unofficial). As for a TT, that would be excellent - online is best handled by joining having your own private sessions or in a league that uses teamspeak and a passworded server to avoid the 'Skidrow' types. RD runs leagues for GSC - they even have a 'Sunday Driver' league.

As mentioned above, online is where iRacing wipes the floor with nearly every other sim - hopefully RaceRoom and CARS become viable alternatives in the near future.

Shaneus

Oh, I more meant TT in that it's asynchronous and doesn't require us to all be online at once (although if we could schedule the odd race I'd still likely be down with that).

I don't know if I can be arsed doing an OT given my relative inexperience with the series, but I'd be happy to give it a crack if no one else wanted to (and I could get some help). Should probably think about doing it soon though if it's at most a few weeks away.

Hell, maybe even make it a Reiza (or GSC/FT) thread?

Megasoum

Banned
So...anybody using a Fanatec wheel has been able to get proper button placement on the wheel lately (and by lately I mean in the last like 2 years lol).

Since they started the CSR-E and CSW wheels the firmware have been fucking up the button placements on the old Porsches Wheels and the CSR (non elite).

I have a CSR and I haven't seen proper binding in games forever. For example any Codemasters games that would normally map the steering wheel like a 360 pad won't work anymore. The game won't even recognize the weel as a fanatec wheel anymore.

Top Bottom