• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

Inside Sim Racing did a nice interview with the President of iRacing, Tony Gardner.

http://youtu.be/3XFJt81g97k

Some nice info on what's coming for the service (OSs, CotA, driver swaps, tech tracks, Ruf), pie-in-the-sky stuff like motorcycles, modding, and nextgen consoles, but also a lot of general racing sim talk. A good watch whether you're into iRacing or not. PR bullshit-free.

DD

Is it me, my wheel or the game? I remember that the force feedback on RaceRoom was amazing, and now I feel that it's just boring and weak...

Anyone noticed the same? Did they change something?

Is race room a good game? Is it just ghost racing?

Yeah, It's basically a time trial game.

Visually it's beautiful, yet simple. So it doesn't require a powerful machine to run. I used to think that it had the best use of great physics and force feedback, but now I don't know if they changed something or if my wheel has problems (which I doubt, since it works fine on other games).

It's free to play. Give it a try! ;-)

TJP

Is it me, my wheel or the game? I remember that the force feedback on RaceRoom was amazing, and now I feel that it's just boring and weak...

Anyone noticed the same? Did they change something?
I'm not sure how much I can say as I'm not a SimBin representative however they are VERY aware of the negative reaction to the changes to the FFB (across all wheels) and thus changes are afoot to get the old FFB feeling back. There are a great many things going on behind the scenes...stick around as it'll be worth it in the long run.

Yeah, It's basically a time trial game.
For the moment RaceRoom is a time trial and hot lapping sim. Multiplayer is coming but SimBin aren't a dev who announce additions until they are 100% ready and operational. SimBin are writing the code for multiplayer from scratch. RaceRoom isn't Race 07 reskinned, it's a completely new sim.

Visually it's beautiful, yet simple. So it doesn't require a powerful machine to run. I used to think that it had the best use of great physics and force feedback, but now I don't know if they changed something or if my wheel has problems (which I doubt, since it works fine on other games).

It's free to play. Give it a try! ;-)
RaceRoom is only going to get better across a variety of areas 8) I do hope those awful braking markers get the arse in the near future. The physics are still very good to great (approved by actual professional racers not that SimBin publicise this fact) it's just that the the FFB has changed as I mentioned above.

DD

I'm not sure how much I can say as I'm not a SimBin representative however they are VERY aware of the negative reaction to the changes to the FFB (across all wheels) and thus changes are afoot to get the old FFB feeling back. There are a great many things going on behind the scenes...stick around as it'll be worth it in the long run.

For the moment RaceRoom is a time trial and hot lapping sim. Multiplayer is coming but SimBin aren't a dev who announce additions until they are 100% ready and operational. SimBin are writing the code for multiplayer from scratch. RaceRoom isn't Race 07 reskinned, it's a completely new sim.

RaceRoom is only going to get better across a variety of areas 8) I do hope those awful braking markers get the arse in the near future. The physics are still very good to great (approved by actual professional racers not that SimBin publicise this fact) it's just that the the FFB has changed as I mentioned above.
That's great to read!

I played the beta and a little bit after the public release, but I don't like this MS-points-like currency system, and thought that that stuff was expensive, I got tired of the same cars and tracks and stoped playing. Now with this 50% off sale I decided to buy some cars and tracks, and got disapointed with the force feedback.

It's nice to know that. Thanks, TJP!

DD

Well, had to buy something:

iYCi72oDBqI0H.jpg

Thanks for the hint, guys!

MOAR

ibtUnRHe7Fp75S.jpg

Dammit!

PS: that M3 GT2 is SOOO GOOD!

TJP

Reiza and GSC 2013 update:

In the next few hours we´re wrapping a GSC2013 RC build (release candidate), basically meaning everything should be OK but we´re still due some final testing. Official release thus will be postponed for a few days, however this RC build will still be made available overnight for all who already pre-ordered the game.

So to sum up: Everyone who has pre-ordered or pre-orders now will receive the links for this RC build by email in the next 12 hours. Those who are waiting for official release should wait for a few more days

https://www.facebook.com/ReizaStudios

Nice. I was just thinking today how I hope they don't drag out this preorder period too much longer. Copersucar+classic Interlagos, I'm ready.

Shaneus

I know it's not strictly *sim*, but I don't think it's worthy of a new thread... Bugbear's next car game (they did Flatout and Ridge Racer Unbounded) is... Next Car Game. The main reason I'm mentioning it is because I think it would appeal to people here.

The words they used to describe NCG is to think of it as a cross between Flatout, Psygnosis' Destruction Derby, and... Street Rod! So you should all check it out, I've already preordered it at the minimum tier (which is just the base game itself and no special backer DLC trinket things).

Addnan

The last updates from Reiza was about 8 hours ago, made it seem like it wasn't too far out.

Just a few last minute delays folks, hold your horses. Wont be long.
There's a few little things we've had to correct. Go enjoy a beer or something, there'll be plenty of time to drive soon :)

From Reiza guys at racedepartment.

TJP

E-mail from Reiza have now been sent; only two mirrors to download the files from so it's a slow download at the moment although some have downloaded and installed GSC 2013. If only Reiza had set-up a torrent for pre-order people to use...

A comment from Race Department:

Just got done playing it for a little while and felt the need to quit the game to come here to say WHAT A FANTASTIC JOB REIZA! The reworking of the already perfect FFB and vehicle physics is just amazingly well done. I can't even describe how great this update is. Thank you reiza. Now back to playing

Shaneus

Should you post those links given that the more people that have them (as in, people who didn't preorder) the slower the downloads will go?

PS. That 787B mod for rF2... that official?

Addnan

Download went really fast for me. Took about 7mins to download all the parts. Couldn't play for long. Damn lecture.

Phinor

No e-mail yet regarding GSC2013. Seems most people already got their download links. And BF4 is unplayable. Maybe I should google about that Civ 5 fall patch or something.

TJP

Should you post those links given that the more people that have them (as in, people who didn't preorder) the slower the downloads will go?
Probably not. I saw on on Race Department that these links were for people who've pre-ordered only and I'm guessing Reiza don't want everyone to have access to the sim just yet. I've now removed the links. I managed to download all of the files at home at a reasonable speed tonight but when I tried earlier in the day (10am); no dice even on a corporate network.

Edit: I've had a brief play on the G27 and Game Stock Car 2013 is - as expected - fantastic. Reiza have made the best looking isiMotor 2 and I'm not damning it with faint praise either. Reiza don't take bullshots so what we've been shown in screenshots is what I see on screen. FFB and physics are of the usual Reiza standard - sublime - and the sounds are pretty good (I'm spoilt by RaceRoom). First drive was the Fittipaldi FD04 around Interlagos Classic (of which there are two versions 70's and 80's) and it's great. Tried the Opala Stock Car Classic at Curitiba and that is a hell of an easy car to drift when you want it to. Last car to try was actually the 125cc kart Shifter 6 speed at the first Granja Viana layout. So much fun as once the tyres are warm, these things stick like shite to a blanket. I can see myself spending a lot of time just in the karts let alone the rest.

I did see quite a few mutliplayer servers open with quite a few modded tracks being raced on so I can only presume the previous games mods work fine. The Fittipaldi FD04 at the full Nurburgring in 24 hour mode should be something special.

The big question is if we at NeoGAF can get a few people who are fence sitters to at least try GSC 2013. Why anyone would pay for F1 2013 over GSC 2013 is beyond my comprehension.

PS. That 787B mod for rF2... that official?
Mak Corp don't make 'official' releases but they do make solid mods. Might be worth downloading once the beta period passes.

IT'S HAPPENING IT HAPPENED

Can't wait to work this baby out later. The posted videos look great. All the new content really looks exceptional. I don't even know where I'll start! Thanks for the impressions, TJP!

Shaneus, we still on for an OT?

Addnan

Anyone getting the game should downsample. Looks so much cleaner, reduces aliasing a ton. Doesn't really require much to do it either. I am getting 300fps+ at 3840x2160 with gtx 770 and 3570K, so yeah you won't even need that much.

1shs4k.png

2pfsbz.png

What's the difference between GSC2012 and 2013?

I don't think they've put out a list of all that's been improved, but essentially everything has been touched. Graphics, lighting, physics, ffb, etc.

Revamped F1 and V8 stockcars
24 hour day/night cycle
125cc karts several configs
Copersucar-Fittipaldi FD04 (1976 F1)
Classic Brazilian stock cars (Chevy Opala)
Two Kart tracks several configs
Classic Interlagos several configs

@Addnan Nice shots! We need some skin packs for those F1 cars. I'm sure they're out there.

Megasoum

Banned
Turned on 60x normal light cycle. It got a little dark for cars without headlights.

1puu7f.png

That reminds me when I did the same thing with the Formula A in pCARS in Spa....

Alone on the track going through the forest. Everything was silent except for my engine and seeing the sun slowly rise between the trees... Kid you not, one of the most beautiful and poetic thing I've seen in a racing game.

ADRIANF1esp

Neo Member
Hi guys, graphics comparison between Game Stock Car 2013 and its predecessor, Game Stock Car 2012. This is a lap to Interlagos circuit with the Mini Challenge.

I hope you enjoy it!

TJP

Hi guys, graphics comparison between Game Stock Car 2013 and its predecessor, Game Stock Car 2012. This is a lap to Interlagos circuit with the Mini Challenge.
A great video as always Adrian. Pity people can't feel the better physics and FFB in videos 8)

I'd imagine there's a bigger mod-library for 2012, but on the other hand, maybe they're compatible with 2013?
Based on what I've seen of the GSC 2013 mulitplayer servers, mods for GSC 2012 work fine in GSC 2013.

TJP

GSC2013 bought!

Downloading ... at 20B/s.

Yep, 20 bytes a second.
Try the download links from sim-racing-evolution.fr - I used these and got the files rather quickly. That said, GSC 2013 appears to be quite popular and the download mirrors are getting hammered.

Shaneus

Anyone getting the game should downsample. Looks so much cleaner, reduces aliasing a ton. Doesn't really require much to do it either. I am getting 300fps+ at 3840x2160 with gtx 770 and 3570K, so yeah you won't even need that much.
Can't downsample with ATI :(

GSC2013 bought!

Downloading ... at 20B/s.

Yep, 20 bytes a second.
Along with TJPs suggestion (obviously), use a program called wxDownloadFast. It creates multiple connections to servers to download, so even off some of the crappiest links (if the site supports it, some don't support "resuming") I can get up to 30x what the speed of a single download stream is.
It's buggy and it's old (tends to crash more often than not on my PC) but when I have a slow download going, I always try it first.

Just did a couple of laps.

Copersucar@ Classic Interlagos ('75 version?) It could be one of my favorite combos ever. Certainly the track portion of it. Just amazing.

When the sun goes down, so does your framerate! Start of a race, 20 V8s all with headlights on, chugs harder than Trevor at the strip club.

It really does look quite a bit better. Color palette, textures, lighting. It looks very nice.

Got to go back for some more laps!

TJP

Can't downsample with ATI :(
That sucks.

Along with TJPs suggestion (obviously), use a program called wxDownloadFast. It creates multiple connections to servers to download, so even off some of the crappiest links (if the site supports it, some don't support "resuming") I can get up to 30x what the speed of a single download stream is.
I use Free Download Manager (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) and have done for ages - works very well and I got all of the setup files very quickly.

I forgot to mention that I too have seen the frame rate plummet at certain times - leaving the pits at night at Curitiba (33 cars on track!) and a few other tracks like Campo Grande again at night. For the most part, GSC 2013 runs at full settings - shadows left to their default of high - with more than 30 cars on track with little to no slowdowns during the day. At night with a gaggle of cars on track (and the times mentioned above) sees the framerate drop for 5-10 seconds (lowest has been 43fps). I'm running GSC 2013 at 1920x1080 with forced AA through Nvidia Inspector as I've no idea what settings to use with the in-built AA (same for rF2). Thuis build is a release candidate so these issues are expected.

Previous track mods do work - I ran the 2007 VLN Nurburgring course for GSC 2012 (mod is on Race Department) in the Mini (night to day) and the classic Stock car (day-night-day) without any issue. There is a noticable downgrade in the visual quality of the track compared to the standard GSC 2013 tracks and a lot of texture popping/flickering which may be caused by forcing AA.

Anyone else liking the AI making mistakes? I've had the AI spin in front of me, drop wheels off track, squiggle and squirm out of corners - especially true with AI the Formula Classic. This was also a part of GSC 2012 but I cannot recall thre AI spinning.

TJP

When tracks start coming out or maybe they are already out can you guys link them. Would love to do the F1 season.
Most of the tracks are illegally ripped from SimBin games with no adjustment to the track grip levels. There are car, tyre and track grip level differences between the two sims despite being based on the same isiMotor 2 platform. Quite often these ripped tracks aren't as grippy in GSC as the originals but at least they are there if you want them. The only 'official' add-ons are the Reiza made track updates for GSC 2012 and the Nurburgring conversion hosted at Race Department which was made from scratch for GSC 2012.

The best place to find tracks (and plently of converted cars - DRM Revival for GSC anyone?) is to search via Google for 'Game Stock Car tracks' and look for a website staring with m3challenge. You'll find a heap of tracks and track packs such as the 2012 Formula 1 season tracks at 1.22 GB 8) Let us know what tracks you like and don't like!

Cheers.

Addnan

I can't get that F1 track pack to work. Load a track and it just stops on the loading screen. The individual downloads seem to work though.

edit: Tried Abu Dhabi, that did not feel good at all.

amar212

What is this heresy doing in the PC sim thread? 8)

Would buy AC on PS4 and PC just to support Kunos. Big question remains mod support on the consoles given AC has been created with modding as a key part.

I thought about it months ago, post have to be somewhere here.

Modding PC community is making mods. Some are great, some are even better. Those "even better" mods gets an recogniton badge and coding treatment by Kunos and become a part of payed DLC on consoles.

Since PS4 supports self-publishing, Asseto Corsa is also published by Kunos, so they determine the pricing. They deliberately go with affordable prices but they also share modding revenue with modders through their own "WMD" of some kind.

Transparency would be the paramount, but if played well, I can't even imagine the benefits it would bring to all sides.

Top Bottom