• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Racing Sims

I'm always down for some TTing, or even some actual racing, but that's always very difficult to pull off.

An OT sounds good. We're one of the last remaining general OTs not have been pushed to community, so it's probably best if we OT games even if it's the same ten guys talking amongst ourselves. Definitely make it a catch-all "Reiza" one. Nothing fancy - a few words, a few pics, a couple links and call it a day.

So...anybody using a Fanatec wheel has been able to get proper button placement on the wheel lately (and by lately I mean in the last like 2 years lol).

Since they started the CSR-E and CSW wheels the firmware have been fucking up the button placements on the old Porsches Wheels and the CSR (non elite).

I have a CSR and I haven't seen proper binding in games forever. For example any Codemasters games that would normally map the steering wheel like a 360 pad won't work anymore. The game won't even recognize the weel as a fanatec wheel anymore.

Can't you put it in PS3 mode and use the Logitech drivers to configure the buttons?

Shaneus

I'm always down for some TTing, or even some actual racing, but that's always very difficult to pull off.

An OT sounds good. We're one of the last remaining general OTs not have been pushed to community, so it's probably best if we OT games even if it's the same ten guys talking amongst ourselves. Definitely make it a catch-all "Reiza" one. Nothing fancy - a few words, a few pics, a couple links and call it a day.
I agree with your thinking on all counts, BT :) But I think rather than calling it a "Reiza" thread, have it a little more specific.. maybe call it the "Game Stock Car/Formula Truck |OT| of Greatest Sim Ever*" (maybe even jam "Senna" in there to sucker some more people in ;) )

*As voted by SimGAF. (have this bit in the first post, obv.)

TJP

While I wait for Reiza to e-mail me about GSC 2013 pre-order, I tried MotoGP '13 again and it's still a bit of a mess, especially online. Don't know if or when Milestone will release another patch so unless you're a die-hard bike fan, steer well clear of theis game until a Steam sale

TJP

A comment by Reiza's Renato Simioni:
To clarify a bit on the structure and pricing of the new title as there´s understandably some confusion..GSC2013 is a new title selling for US$ 24.90. It is independent from GSC/GSC2012, though it shares a lot of things with the previous version.

We actually intended to offer this as an expansion pack but couldnt find a way to make it work with the DVD version that had a wide distribution here in Brazil, so what we did was compromise the pricing, which is pretty close to what it would have been as an expansion pack anyway. Naturally people who have just recently bought GSC2012 might feel a bit hard done by, while those new to the game will enjoy a bargain price, but that´s the way these things go sometimes.

Whether you´re old or new to GSC I think you will find plenty of value not only from the new content, but also in the extent of the revisions done to the existing GSC2012 content. And in any case, the "buy" button will remain optional 8)

Shaneus

No problem with that. At least they're being upfront about it, not to mention the fact that it seems rare that they ever *do* ask for money, and when they do it's obviously worth it.

Bring it on!

Shaneus

Oh you fucker, I was just coming in here to post that!

Do they mention an ETA anywhere? I'm at work, can't check :/ (just wondering if I should start contemplating the OT or not)

You also forgot to mention that we're getting karts in this one! Kart racing touched by the hands of The Almighty Reiza? Yes pls.

Shaneus

Fuckin' bought.

gsc2013_site_banner.png

Does that mean it's *out* in September, or just the pre-order?

TJP

Fuckin' bought.
Good man! I don't know when the actual release date is but my HDD is ready as am I and the G27 sitting forlornly in the corner atop a wheelstand pro. No point using the G27 when playing lesser sims (I kid of course!).

Shaneus

Ahah, got the same combo XD

:internethighfive:
Almost the same... I have the Fanatec one (it was a bit cheaper than the Wheelstand Pro). Still not 100% happy with it, but I don't think they're problems that would be fixed with something else. Not quite as stable as I'd like and moves around on the carpet a little, but I'm tinkering with those furniture anti-slip things so we'll see how that goes.

Shaneus

Wow.

So this is still the same base graphics engine as 2012, yeah? Just the physics etc. from ISImotor2.5? Because IMO that's looking far better than it has every right to.

Edit: Never mind, you made that comment after I refreshed :)

TJP

Wow.

So this is still the same base graphics engine as 2012, yeah? Just the physics etc. from ISImotor2.5? Because IMO that's looking far better than it has every right to.

Edit: Never mind, you made that comment after I refreshed :)
Yeah I updated my original post as Reiza released a few more pictures after I posted them. GSC 2013 is looking fantastic - no idea if these are untouched screens or a bit of magic applied to them by Reiza as GSC 2012 featured improved shaders. I'm hoping the former as Reiza have been completely honest to this point.

Only rFactor 2 is using isiMotor 2.5 which sucks unless devs are using isiMotor 2.5 under NDA.

Shaneus

I think I meant just vanilla 2.0. I was only trying to keep up with you and your knowledge of obscure version numbers... and I failed miserably ;)

TJP

I think I meant just vanilla 2.0. I was only trying to keep up with you and your knowledge of obscure version numbers... and I failed miserably ;)
I can't follow ISI with their numbering systems either - I've read their software page so many times trying to work out what sims were using which version of isiMotor. Even more confusing is I've read on various forums that isiMotor 2 has been updated over time and therefore SimBin may be using a (slightly?) different version of isiMotor 2 to Slightly Mad Studios and Reiza. What I know you can put on a postage stamp and have tonnes of room - rF2 is isiMotor 2.5 and everything else is based around 2.0!

TJP

pCARS doesn't use isiMotor.
pCARS did start with code from isiMotor 2 but that was some time ago - pCARS is 100% SMS code nowadays. Both Shift and Unleashed are isiMotor 2 based. According to the NoGrip community mod team both NFS games use modified GTR 2 physics and many of the same errors and typos from GTR 2 are also present in both Shift games.

DD

Where are you getting that from?

Also, anyone able to translate what's written on that sign in the kart screenshot?

Judging by the pics, it seems to be the old circuit:

Interlagosoverlay.jpg

About the sign, it's just an Ayrton Senna's quote that says "my motivation is to seek always to improve myself, to learn always."

Where are you getting that from?

Also, anyone able to translate what's written on that sign in the kart screenshot?

Full GSC2013 content list (for initial release):

Cars

Stock Car V8 2013 Season
Camaro SS Street Challenge
Mini Challenge
Opala Stock Car Classic
Formula Reiza – Modern GP series
Formula Classic – Late 80s GP series
Formula Retro – Mid 70s GP series (includes Copersucar Fittipaldi FD04)
Formula 3
125cc kart direct drive (versions with body shell and without);
125cc kart Shifter 6 speed

Race tracks:

Interlagos
Interlagos Classic (late 1970s)
Brasilia
Campo Grande
Caruaru
Cascavel
Córdoba
Curitiba
Guaporé
Londrina
Jacarepaguá
Ribeirão Preto
Salvador
Santa Cruz do Sul
Velopark
Tarumã

Kart tracks:

Granja Viana (6 layouts)
Interlagos (3 layouts

I absolutely love early/mid 70's F1 machinery, but those Chevy Opalas are going to be a blast. I'm excited to see how well Reiza can produce a short wheelbase, low grip, wriggly car.

That track is sick. General lighting and light transition looks good. Kart behavior seems legit. Only quibble is the light towers look like Mario stars when they're on. Shine Get!

No doubt it'll be very fun. Gimmie now!

TJP

Anyone buy Formula Truck? I don't know if we are allowed to post links to mods here but I've discovered a Blancpain GT mod with track pack for F-Truck. It was posted on a GSC 2013 thread on another forum..

Track list (probably from various SimBin titles except for the VLM track):

Zolder 2009
Mid Ohio (VLM)
Spa
Road America
MoSport
Monza
Magny-Cours
LeMans Classic
Laguna Seca
Donnington
Brands Hatch
Barcelona 2012
Assen

Video of mod in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASQl1SK8ET8

Shaneus

Anyone buy Formula Truck? I don't know if we are allowed to post links to mods here but I've discovered a Blancpain GT mod with track pack for F-Truck. It was posted on a GSC 2013 thread on another forum..

Track list (probably from various SimBin titles except for the VLM track):

Zolder 2009
Mid Ohio (VLM)
Spa
Road America
MoSport
Monza
Magny-Cours
LeMans Classic
Laguna Seca
Donnington
Brands Hatch
Barcelona 2012
Assen

Video of mod in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASQl1SK8ET8
Yup, I got it! Feel free to PM me with any further info you might have on it ;)

Oddly enough, one of the related videos that I had on the right was Super Mario Sunshine.

Google Spybot: "Tropical location with big puffy stars? Must be Isle of Delfino!

Oh wow, very nice. I think rather than mix cars and trucks, I'll just wait for it to be fitted to GSC '13... Maybe I won't be able to wait though because that just looks too ace.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've never played a sim that required you to pay for content. How does that work? Doesn't it make it hard to find people to race against who have the same specific cars/tracks as you?

on my phone right now, about how much would it cost for everything?

Same. When I get home I'll try and do the conversion if no one else has.

I've never played a sim that required you to pay for content. How does that work? Doesn't it make it hard to find people to race against who have the same specific cars/tracks as you?

If you're talking RaceRoom specifically, it doesn't yet have multi. Only TT leaderboards right now.

TJP

If you're talking RaceRoom specifically, it doesn't yet have multi. Only TT leaderboards right now.
Multiplayer is coming soon along with something special 8)

Buying cars and tracks is nothing new with this pay-as-you-go model - doesn't seem to hinder iRacing fans although I don't like this model personally.

All tracks are: 2115 vRP

All cars are: 3865 vRP

Total: 5980 vRP

5000 vRP = $51.83 USD
1100 vRP = $12.95 USD

Still a lot by SimBin standards but not so much versus iRacing and SRW etc - both of which have working multiplayer.

DD

Multiplayer is coming soon along with something special 8)

Buying cars and tracks is nothing new with this pay-as-you-go model - doesn't seem to hinder iRacing fans although I don't like this model personally.

All tracks are: 2115 vRP

All cars are: 3865 vRP

Total: 5980 vRP

5000 vRP = $51.83 USD
1100 vRP = $12.95 USD

Still a lot by SimBin standards but not so much versus iRacing and SRW etc - both of which have working multiplayer.
Well, had to buy something:

iYCi72oDBqI0H.jpg

Thanks for the hint, guys!

Top Bottom