• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PCGamer] Phil Spencer wants to bring OG Xbox emulation and Xbox Game Pass to PC

Windows Store and Xbox are the same ecosystem. Microsoft still gets your money.

Yep! Not quite sure why that's hard to understand for some people. It's not like Xbox is selling Wii-U numbers because they decided to expand their audience to PC either. IIRC the Xbox One is still doing fairly well against Xbox 360's lifetime sales. Doesn't meet their lofty goals from the beginning of this gen but it isn't failing either.

LordRaptor

I'm surprised by the answer, because now there's an expectation for something that's probably going to be a nightmare to implement.

They've already implemented it.
They literally just showed off that they've implemented it on stage a few days ago.

If the problems implementing it are obfuscating the emulation code so that it isn't freed from its inevitable UWP W10 only trappings within a week, just say that.

To pretend that highly paid MS software engineers with full access to hardware documentation and full API documentation and SDKs can't do a job as well as bedroom coders clean room reverse engineering via trial and error is pretty far fetched.

Fingers are crossed issued for both OG Xbox and 360 emulation on PC.

Ore than Sunset Overdrive and the Master Chief Collection, BC is the only other reason I still have my Xbox One since I have a good gaming PC.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Metal Arms on PC it is then.

Also, I do wonder if they try to do this, we might see some enthusiasts pick away at it to see how it works in the hopes they might try to figure out how to get their own Xbox emulator to work on PC.

I had rather hoped it was coming during E3, but I guess not. As it stands, I'm not holding my breath that we'll see it any time soon.

Tagyhag

Emulating Xbox One will also emulate 360 and OG Xbox right in one go

Yeah that's what I'm curious about.

Hypothetically if they end up bring both OG Xbox emulation and Xbox game pass to PC, how will it be done?

Because the Xbox game pass has stuff like Halo 5, so is it going to be native? Emulated?

Or will they got the sad route of streaming?

Maybe OG Xbox will be emulated and Game Pass streamed? Could be anything and I'm sure they haven't really fully worked it out yet.

Ash735

OG Xbox emulation on PC would be the best thing from this E3 if it came true. Especially since Xbox emulation scene is dead.

Dunkley

Yeah that's what I'm curious about.

Hypothetically if they end up bring both OG Xbox emulation and Xbox game pass to PC, how will it be done?

Because the Xbox game pass has stuff like Halo 5, so is it going to be native? Emulated?

Or will they got the sad route of streaming?

Maybe OG Xbox will be emulated and Game Pass streamed? Could be anything and I'm sure they haven't really fully worked it out yet.

Looking at the interview, it's probably just going to be similiar to Origin Access vs. EA Access, like the base concept stays the same but the libraries might differ between the platforms:

"It's a business model that I think could be good for creators, and when business models work for creators, it usually means good content will come for gamers. I like that. We don't have the deep catalog of games on PC that we do on console, so I've had some pushback from the marketing team that, well it wouldn't necessarily be the best feature right now, because we won't have enough games, but I just want to start. So I'm putting a lot of pressure on the team to go get enough content lined up to do something on the PC, and then make sure we have a long-term commitment to build."

RedSwirl

That'd be great. I imagine it won't come with features people normally associate with PC games though. The games will probably run at their original resolutions (OG Xbox games might get upscaled to 720p or something) and framerates. Personally I would just be glad to be able to play those games on my PC and not worry about them being locked to proprietary consoles. I'd have a reason to buy games like JSRF and Ninja Gaiden Black (I never owned the original Xbox).

kevm3

If he's going to bring xbox games to pc via a sort of emulation that you own, sure... but if he's trying to trojan horse some kind of subscription service on pc, get that nonsense out of here.

Spasm

As long as you PC folk realize that this probably means that the games would run in a locked down Xbox VM, like 360 games do on X1, and would likely allow zero features that you seem to demand for PC gaming... Full access to settings, tuning, customizations, mods, etc.

Zedox

It was bound to happen. Glad that they are going to try and make it happen and Game Pass along with it. Knowing how committed they are to BC, no reason why I wouldn't buy a 3rd party game on Xbox.

Budi

As long as you PC folk realize that this probably means that the games would run in a locked down Xbox VM, like 360 games games do on X1, and would likely allow zero features that you seem to demand for PC gaming... Full access to settings, tuning, customizations, mods, etc.

That's fine with me. I've got used to console gaming in the last 30 years.

That'd be great. I imagine it won't come with features people normally associate with PC games though. The games will probably run at their original resolutions (OG Xbox games might get upscaled to 720p or something) and framerates. Personally I would just be glad to be able to play those games on my PC and not worry about them being locked to proprietary consoles. I'd have a reason to buy games like JSRF and Ninja Gaiden Black (I never owned the original Xbox).
Depending on how good they can get the emulation, framerates and loading times might get better. Like how 360 sometimes run better on Xbox one.

Sheroking

Well that was a quick way to shit up a positive quote....

Don't be so dramatic.

It's a nice idea and they'll get my money if it works, I just find it odd that a console exists with not even one small fraction of exclusivity around it. Not even something as small as backwards compatibility.

Jrs3000

Phil is pretty determined that we should have no reason to own an Xbox.

I'm good with it, but... are you sure, bro?

Far from it. He's given you a choice. I have a decent machine running a 290x but I'm going to pick up a XBOX in addition to my S because I enjoy using a console. It's my preferred way to game.

Trup1aya

They've already implemented it.
They literally just showed off that they've implemented it on stage a few days ago.

If the problems implementing it are obfuscating the emulation code so that it isn't freed from its inevitable UWP W10 only trappings within a week, just say that.

To pretend that highly paid MS software engineers with full access to hardware documentation and full API documentation and SDKs can't do a job as well as bedroom coders clean room reverse engineering via trial and error is pretty far fetched.

Where'd they show this at?

Luckydog

Don't be so dramatic.

It's a nice idea and they'll get my money if it works, I just find it odd that a console exists with not even one small fraction of exclusivity around it. Not even something as small as backwards compatibility.

It seems like they are positioning the xbox as a low to mid pc-ish system that you dont need to dick around with drivers on. Highend PC, Mid Range PC, X1X, Low end PC. All play xbox games, all to varying degrees.

He has flat out said he wants people in the eco-system, not the hardware. Wasn't it on GiantBomb, perhaps last year, when he joked about people finding his "loophole" about getting MS games without xbox hardware? He sees Win 10 PC's with the Xbox app as Xbox hardware.

petran79

Banned
On PC you can increase emulator accuracy at the expense of CPU power.

An official emulator would be even better on PC than on consoles

Zedox

Don't be so dramatic.

Tell that to the 10s of millions of people who have xbox consoles but don't own gaming PCs. Have them all go buy or build a gaming PC for the same amount of money. I doubt you'll get 500k people to switch to PC. Consoles aren't about exclusivity, and never have been. They've been about playing games in front of a TV with a gamepad...the exclusivity is just about competition between companies.

ArjanN

As long as you PC folk realize that this probably means that the games would run in a locked down Xbox VM, like 360 games do on X1, and would likely allow zero features that you seem to demand for PC gaming... Full access to settings, tuning, customizations, mods, etc.

Yeah, that's why I'd much rather have a bunch more enhanced ports like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon's Dogma, Remake, Jet Set Radio etc.

Sheroking

It seems like they are positioning the xbox as a low to mid pc-ish system that you dont need to dick around with drivers on. Highend PC, Mid Range PC, X1X, Low end PC. All play xbox games, all to varying degrees.

He has flat out said he wants people in the eco-system, not the hardware. Wasn't it on GiantBomb, perhaps last year, when he joked about people finding his "loophole" about getting MS games without xbox hardware? He sees Win 10 PC's with the Xbox app as Xbox hardware.

I just don't see this strategy ending with Xbox having market-share.

Nobody has tried it, so maybe I'm wrong. But as someone who COULD be won over, every single choice they'er making this sphere says "don't bother".

Tain

Yeah, that's why I'd much rather have a bunch more enhanced ports like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon's Dogma, Remake, Jet Set Radio etc.

Totally different people are gonna work on these things, and you'll never get enhanced ports of all the great games.

One area where MS and Phil have exceeded my expectations is their embrace of PC gaming in recent months. I hope they can deliver on this.

Top Bottom