• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PCGamer] Phil Spencer wants to bring OG Xbox emulation and Xbox Game Pass to PC

Luckydog

I just don't see this strategy ending with Xbox having market-share.

Nobody has tried it, so maybe I'm wrong. But as someone who COULD be won over, every single choice they'er making this sphere says "don't bother".

Fair, but everyone has their own point of view. I have a fairly solid PC: 6700, 1080 card, 16GB RAM, All SSD. But the only games I like to play on PC are sims and strategy games. I'll play kerbal, Civ4, or Xcom at my desk all day long. If I want to play forza, killer instinct, Injustice 2, etc I'm on my couch in front of my 4K TV with the X1S. its just how I like to play. Its nice I can play KI back and forth on the PC, but I rarely do.

Although by reading these boards, I sounds like I'm some kind of unicorn that has what I feel is a solid PC, but also games on an Xbox, PS4 and Switch.

ArjanN

Totally different people are gonna work on these things, and you'll never get enhanced ports of all the great games.

I mean, I realize that, and this would still be better than nothing but also not ideal.

Also, IMO I don't think there's really that many games that never got ported AND still hold up nowadays with no work done on them.

Although by reading these boards, I sounds like I'm some kind of unicorn that has what I feel is a solid PC, but also games on an Xbox, PS4 and Switch.

I mean it's a nice position to be in, but it does kinda mean you have money to burn.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Bring the Emulator to Windows 10! I would even pay the price of a new console in the Windows 10 Store to unlock the functionality. I just want to be able to play my OG Xbox and 360 games wherever I want, whenever I want.

tebunker

Banned
Hmm Gamepass on Pc. Shiiit. That'd probably drag menin to their ecosystem. Be even better if we could plop a 360 disc in and just play out of there emulator. I'd pay for gamepass just for that.

There are several 360 exclusives I never played before selling the system a long time ago.

Gestault

They've already implemented it.
They literally just showed off that they've implemented it on stage a few days ago.

If the problems implementing it are obfuscating the emulation code so that it isn't freed from its inevitable UWP W10 only trappings within a week, just say that.

To pretend that highly paid MS software engineers with full access to hardware documentation and full API documentation and SDKs can't do a job as well as bedroom coders clean room reverse engineering via trial and error is pretty far fetched.

What they showed off was on a targeted Xbox hardware config. The interview talks about the challenge being mainstream-ready quality on the different configs you see on PC, and anyone familiar with the software QC process knows that's a lot of effort, even when you're not worrying about emulating software that ran on non-native architecture. It seems like you're either unfamiliar with or glossing over the state of homebrew original Xbox/360 emulation. It's just not a solved problem, and having the engineering docs helps, but even that isn't a magic bullet.

You're right that whatever they come up with needs some kind of marketplace-friendly structure, so that much may be true. It seems like you're implying that's nefarious. Whatever their preferred software environment for stuff they sell, they have their reasons.

LordRaptor

What they showed off was on a targeted Xbox hardware config.

The Pareto difficulty of emulation is writing the emulator, not taking that code and making it work with different hardware that all uses the same APIs.

Microsoft make Windows ffs, "oooohhhhh its sooooooo hard writing software that runs on slightly different hardware configurations under windows" is - frankly - bullshit

I just thought... holy shit... this could be how we get PSO Ep 1&2 back! No hacky pc blue burst stuff with flaky servers, we can play the real deal with actual Xbox Live support!
We can get MS to brute force this game into the future instead of waiting for Sega to pull their heads out of their asses.

Voho

Yes Phil. Please. I need my Mechassault fix!

Also, if 360 BC ever makes the jump, it would be crazy to think we could get Halo 3 on PC via emulation before an official port.

Tain

I mean, I realize that, and this would still be better than nothing but also not ideal.

Also, IMO I don't think there's really that many games that never got ported AND still hold up nowadays with no work done on them.

A single great game getting emulated instead of being stuck on the original hardware would be plenty worth it, but I think there are a whole bunch of them. I wouldn't trade an attempt at full compatibility for a few enhanced ports as determined by what's popular, even for platform libraries that I don't particularly care about.

Helznicht

Meanwhile at the division working on streaming pc games to xbone:

tenor.gif

Ushay

This would be damn cool and make the Windows Store massively more attractive.

Doubt it would happen any time soon.

Top Bottom