• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_nothin

Banned
SOLDIER said:
I'm using 1474 beta, so let me know if it's an improvement.
Seems like a pretty nice improvement so far. FFXII is running alot better for me now. (Not usinng the ZeroGS plugin). Is that actually faster for some ppl?

SOLDIER

Well, I tried 1736, and it was noticeably worse for me. Most games couldn't even run at a normal speed, unlike with 1474.

In regards to 1474, FFXII is almost perfect, but for some reason it chugs when I open up the equip menu. There's a slight echo when targeting enemies, too.

Is it recommended to just leave all the speed hacks checked at once (the only one I leave out is the one that says to cause problems in most games)?

Also, as I mentioned before, I like to set the internal res to 1920x1080. If this is causing major slowdown on games, what's the next best resolution to use?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
SOLDIER said:
Well, I tried 1736, and it was noticeably worse for me. Most games couldn't even run at a normal speed, unlike with 1474.

In regards to 1474, FFXII is almost perfect, but for some reason it chugs when I open up the equip menu. There's a slight echo when targeting enemies, too.

Is it recommended to just leave all the speed hacks checked at once (the only one I leave out is the one that says to cause problems in most games)?

Also, as I mentioned before, I like to set the internal res to 1920x1080. If this is causing major slowdown on games, what's the next best resolution to use?

If you're running on a native 1920x1080 (or 1200) resolution LCD, try to match it to the set PCSX2 internal resolution as closely as possible. For example, start by only incrimentally reducing the horizontal scale, which will yield the greater boost in performance than working with the vertical. This is, of course, assuming your GPU is the bottleneck. Here are a few exemplar values to try in order:

1920 x 1080 (which is 2,073,600 pixels rendered)
1600 x 1080
1440 x 1080
1280 x 1080
1024 x 1080 (reduced to almost half the original count, with only 1,105,920 pixels rendered)

Setting mine to 1024x1080 generally gave me a solid 50fps in FFXII (PAL version), particularly in Rabanastre. Meanwhile, the loss in image quality wasn't as noticeable as it would've been if I'd used, say, 1280 x 720, which neither matches the vertical or horizontal pixel counts of my screen (and would've generated more aliasing).

As a side note, this technique was actually used by the clever chaps at Studio Liverpool when put to the mountainous challenge of upholding Wipeout HD's 1080p/60fps image. A bit of a cheat really; they dynamically switched the internal resolution to the above values depending on GPU load, and the loss in image quality was too brief and miniscule for people to really notice. More info on that here.

Dascu

M.Bluth said:
Is it possible to get rid of the blue-greenish filter (or whatever it actually is) in God of War?

jzv12q.jpg

It's quite annoying and distracting
Having the same issue. Has anyone found a fix for it?

Noob here. Just downloaded the latest public beta with plugins. I am currently running Windows 7. Anyone have configuration tips? Thanks!

Edit: Hmm, The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.

Anyone know what I did wrong?

The_Inquisitor said:
Noob here. Just downloaded the latest public beta with plugins. I am currently running Windows 7. Anyone have configuration tips? Thanks!

Edit: Hmm, The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.

Anyone know what I did wrong?

Run it as an administrator. UAC can cause errors sometimes.

Basileus777 said:
Run it as an administrator. UAC can cause errors sometimes.

No dice. I am going to try restarting.

Edit: No dice on restart. Still crashes. I have already updated directx.

Edit: Downloaded non-beta. That worked. Now I need plugin recommendations. Is GSdx what everyone uses?

Rahnter

I am looking to upgrade my 7750 @ 3.2 for general gaming purposes, and was thinking of either going with a 550, 720, 940, or 955. I was leaning towards the 720 or the 955, but any suggestions are appreciated.

some specs:
gtx 260
4gb 1066 ram
biostar ta790gx a2+

Rahnter said:
I am looking to upgrade my 7750 @ 3.2 for general gaming purposes, and was thinking of either going with a 550, 720, 940, or 955. I was leaning towards the 720 or the 955, but any suggestions are appreciated.

some specs:
gtx 260
4gb 1066 ram
biostar ta790gx a2+

They're all great clockers, just get as many cores as you can afford, any of those CPUs will net you 3.4-3.6ghz easily.

Dascu

MGS3 is completely playable? Hmm. What about the CQC using the pressure sensitive buttons? I'd have to get a USB PS2 controller for that, right? Or can I use my 360 controller?

DieH@rd

Banned
Dascu said:
MGS3 is completely playable? Hmm. What about the CQC using the pressure sensitive buttons? I'd have to get a USB PS2 controller for that, right? Or can I use my 360 controller?

You absolutely need pressure sensitive controller for this game. Emulator supports them all.

asdad123

Demigod Mac said:

All I can say is holy shit. This is awesome. I remember a year ago when my XPS430 with a 2.4Ghz quad core could hardly run FF10 which is one of the most compatible games.

Now I just tried it out on my laptop (Asus G51VX-RX05 overclocked to 2.4GHz) and it runs Kingdom Hearts 2 and FF10 at 60 fps. I set up my DS3 through bluetooth and now Im using it with this wirelessly. Its awesome! :D

57636072.jpg

Sooooo nice

EGM92

asdad123 said:
All I can say is holy shit. This is awesome. I remember a year ago when my XPS430 with a 2.4Ghz quad core could hardly run FF10 which is one of the most compatible games.

Now I just tried it out on my laptop (Asus G51VX-RX05 overclocked to 2.4GHz) and it runs Kingdom Hearts 2 and FF10 at 60 fps. I set up my DS3 through bluetooth and now Im using it with this wirelessly. Its awesome! :D

Sooooo nice

Does the sun/ light source / lens flare still appear through buildings?

xemumanic

Wow, I can't believe I started a thread here that's lasted this long, and is still going!
And I've barely posted anything!

Since my opening post, PCSX 2 has gotten better and better, more compatible, and faster. And with Sony standing firm on their NO PS2 BC on the PS3, this emulator is all the more relevant.

Just a little self-serving self-patting on the back............ :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*is flabbergasted at his ability to play Shadow of the Colossus at full speed with AA on an emulator*

One day we'll all be struggling to get our PlayStation 4 emulators to run at a decent framerate...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm not exactly sure where I'm supposed to install the bios at it keeps asking for. Bit of help please :lol

When I adjust the folder to the one where the bios is located in. It says plugins then don't work

Here is the problem, I have to config the CDROM. Two don't work, the other two lead me to the screen. Once there I try to load the game. But it keeps saying memory card error, and failed to load plugins

Ramenman

I tried to run Kingdom Hearts (first PS2 game I saw laying around), and it work kind of really well, except for the FMVs, which are just completely unwatchable.
The framerate plays rollercoaster between 50 and 10 during the CGI intro in the beginning. I just left and did something else until it was done struggling through it, because I still wanted to see how proper gameplay ran (flawlessly, as I said).

Maybe it comes from the fact that I play from the DVD. If so how do I make an Iso out of my game ?

Also what's the best and cheapest way to hook my Dual Shock 2 to my computer ?

zbarron

ZombieSupaStar said:
can finally play my koc2 again

i have native res set to 1920x1080 (same with output) and 16:9 but the image is still streched, no way to fix it???
Does the game itself support 16:9? If it does go to the options and make sure you enable it. If it doesn't then it will always be stretched.

Ramenman said:
I tried to run Kingdom Hearts (first PS2 game I saw laying around), and it work kind of really well, except for the FMVs, which are just completely unwatchable.
The framerate plays rollercoaster between 50 and 10 during the CGI intro in the beginning. I just left and did something else until it was done struggling through it, because I still wanted to see how proper gameplay ran (flawlessly, as I said).

Maybe it comes from the fact that I play from the DVD. If so how do I make an Iso out of my game ?

Also what's the best and cheapest way to hook my Dual Shock 2 to my computer ?
DVD Decrypter is my tool of choice for getting ISOs.

inner-G

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
can finally play my koc2 again

i have native res set to 1920x1080 (same with output) and 16:9 but the image is still streched, no way to fix it???
Set the drop-down to 4:3

Unless the game already supports 16:9 there's no way to play it widescreen without stretching it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ok i gotta ask, people are getting banned left right and centre in the scribblenauts thread for pirating it but everyone here seems to be going about their business discussing pirated PS2 games?

Dascu

Cindres said:
Ok i gotta ask, people are getting banned left right and centre in the scribblenauts thread for pirating it but everyone here seems to be going about their business discussing pirated PS2 games?
You can play your PS2 games through your dvd drive or by dumping an iso file from them on your computer. There's nothing illegal about playing bought games with an emulator.

zbarron

Cindres said:
We are only playing games we legally own. I'm pretty sure it is within the forum policy if you rip the BIOS from a PS2 you own and use the games you bought.

Cindres said:

You might have a point if you posted this in the Dolphin/Wii/GC emulation thread, but you play PS2 games right off the disc or easily make an iso yourself.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Basileus777 said:
You might have a point if you posted this in the Dolphin/Wii/GC emulation thread, but you play PS2 games right off the disc or easily make an iso yourself.
You can just as easily rip GC/Wii games from a Wii either over wireless or to a SD Card through Homebrew. You can even dump Gamecube games through Gamecube's Broadband adapter. Or, if you have the proper LG DVD drive, you can rip them directly from the disk to your computer. I fail to see the difference between ripping a Gamecube, Wii or a PS2 game you own.

And on that note, you can also rip your own DS games. It's just a little harder, but you can do it with Homebrew applications, GBA-writable cart and lots of swapping and merging files.

What's happening on the Scribblenauts thread is that people are openly talking about the game, giving out impressions and puzzle solutions when the game is not even properly out/availiable yet. Sure, he could've gotten lucky and a store near him broke the street date, but yeah...

drizzle said:
You can just as easily rip GC/Wii games from a Wii either over wireless or to a SD Card through Homebrew. You can even dump Gamecube games through Gamecube's Broadband adapter. Or, if you have the proper LG DVD drive, you can rip them directly from the disk to your computer. I fail to see the difference between ripping a Gamecube, Wii or a PS2 game you own.
Everyone with an internet connection and a computer with a DVD drive can rip their PS2 games but most Wii owners don't have the capability of ripping their Wii/GC games. Was the difference really that hard for you to see?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
nincompoop said:
Everyone with an internet connection and a computer with a DVD drive can rip their PS2 games but most Wii owners don't have the capability of ripping their Wii/GC games. Was the difference really that hard for you to see?

I mean as "people in the PCSX2 thread can talk about emulating games, but people in the Dolphin thread should be banned!" point that somebody tried to make. Of course, Wii/GC games are harder to dump, but DS games are much harder to dump, as it requires actual hardware (while GC/Wii dumps only require a software mod that enables homebrew software on the console).

I'm just saying that emulation is cool, pirated software isn't.

Splatt

Ramenman said:
The framerate plays rollercoaster between 50 and 10 during the CGI intro in the beginning.

The CGI cutscene is stuttering because you set cycle rate to X2 or higher (it's one of the options in the speed hack menu). Put it on 1.5 (or below) and it should run silky smooth.

drizzle said:
I mean as "people in the PCSX2 thread can talk about emulating games, but people in the Dolphin thread should be banned!" point that somebody tried to make.

That was hardly my implication. I was merely pointing out the ease in which PS2 games could be played without piracy and if one were going to make an issue out of it, it would make more sense to do so for Wii/GC emulation.

hitsugi

Basileus777 said:
It only runs PS2 games. There are PS1 emulators that can run the game, though I had trouble running with ePSXe a few years ago.

that's the thing.. ePSXe never ran it for me at a level that was acceptable to play D: wtf is with that game? ah well.. guess it's time to move on

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
hitsugi said:
that's the thing.. ePSXe never ran it for me at a level that was acceptable to play D: wtf is with that game? ah well.. guess it's time to move on
Have you tried pSX emulator for that? Personally I don't remember having any trouble but try again with new plugins in epsxe.

SarBear

So I loaded this up on my Windows 7 config and here are the errors I have:

1) "Could not load GS Plugin "plugins": <NULL>

.....then after trying to load a game I get this

2) Failed loading memory card from file: memcards\mcd001.ps2
3) cddvdOpenNVM error creating bios\scph39001.NVM

Which leads to a new window opening where the program just hangs. I had this working perfectly on Vista, but on this version of Windows I've been screwed.

I have this setup:

q6600
4 gigs ram
8800gtx

Any idea why I can't get this to run properly?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Huh, at some point since I last checked this out they got Shadow Hearts 2 to work.

papillon.jpg

Huzzah.

SOLDIER said:
Is there a fix for Rule of Rose? The FMVs play with sound, but no video.

ZeroGS is the only graphics plugin that plays the FMV in Rule of Rose correctly.

SOLDIER

ixix said:
ZeroGS is the only graphics plugin that plays the FMV in Rule of Rose correctly.

Just tried this, and it plays the opening FMV fine, but the FMV when starting a new game the video is all static and messed up. How can I fix this?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
SOLDIER said:
Just tried this, and it plays the opening FMV fine, but the FMV when starting a new game the video is all static and messed up. How can I fix this?

Excellent question. Worked fine for me with default ZeroGS settings. Of course I only made it to the second month before I began to question what could have possibly possessed me to try playing Rule of Rose again and stopped, but everything 'til then worked a treat.

I suppose you could try updating your ZeroGS plugin. I used version 0.97.1.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I can't believe how accurately Persona 3/4 are emulated. PC has become my platform of choice for these games (over a BC PS3 and a PS2 hooked up via component). Amazing work.

edgefusion

Wow, so I thought I'd give this a shot today and it is mind-bogglingly complicated. I don't even know where to start trouble-shooting this thing, how are you guys managing to get games to work? I can't even get the PS2 system menu to load without crashing the whole app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom