• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

I should be doing hw said:
Lots of memory meaning ram?

Yes. And a 64-bit operating system so you can use all of it, too. (e.g. Windows 7 64-bit)

I should be doing hw said:
And what's the difference with integrated and non-integrated?

Integrated is usually Intel graphics (crap) and steals RAM to use from your main system RAM instead of having its own (also crap).

tokkun

EGM92 said:
How the hell do I force AA? I'm trying to play Kingdom Hearts Chains of Memories but the game is so jaggy... MY EYES BLEED :(

If you want to force AA and AF levels, you need to do the following (with GSDX)
1. Change to the DirectX 9 hardware renderer
2. Change to a full-screen resolution
3. Set the internal resolution to exactly the same as the full-screen resolution
4. Go into your graphics driver management program (I've done this with Nvidia, but I think ATI supports it too), add an entry for PCSX, and change the settings to override AA & AF to whatever you want.

Alternatively, you can get the equivalent of 2X super-sampling AA by setting the internal resolution to double the output resolution.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
The game actually looks like the bullshots Squeenix put out. In a couple of generations will be able to play today's games at bullshot quality...the ones that don't have a PC port anyway.
While it's not impossible, it's not a safe bet either. PS3 and 360 have a lot of encryption in their software and hardware. I think there will be many more hurdles to overcome with these other than raw hardware power needed for emulation.

DieH@rd

Banned
Is there any solution for removing this ghosting when i change internal resolution??
2aj894.jpg

There is no ghosting with native res.

Remfin

If you're using GSDX:
  • Use MSAA instead of increased resolution
  • Experiment with the pixel offset settings
  • Get the game's CRC added to the plugin (disables post-processing effects entirely)

Durante

The recent SSX thread made me want to play SSX3 again. It's interesting how many people wanted SSX in HD in that thread, considering that it's already here:

2en8ftd.jpg

21n1dkx.jpg

30szxwz.jpg

24cfhv7.jpg

23h7vis.jpg

:D

MotherFan

Ok, I downloaded the beta and configured it but every time I try to load a game it crashes. I am trying to run them from my dvd drive. I tried run>execute and run cd/dvd. I have no idea what is going on.

Edit: Got it working after awhile

IrishNinja

hey, sorry if a bit OT, didnt know where else to ask: can anyone recommend a PS2 VGA box on the cheap? its to be used on a flat but non-widescreen monitor, doesnt need to be fancy so much as works proper/doesnt look too assy.

Ceebs

IrishNinja said:
hey, sorry if a bit OT, didnt know where else to ask: can anyone recommend a PS2 VGA box on the cheap? its to be used on a flat but non-widescreen monitor, doesnt need to be fancy so much as works proper/doesnt look too assy.
Are you going to be using it on an LCD or CRT?

The CRT would look fine via VGA but if you are using it on a LCD with no internal scaler expect the image to look like total ass.

This is about the picture quality you would expect from running a PS2 at it's native resolution on a monitor.

http://i37.tinypic.com/erznzr.jpg

for shits and giggles this is what the same screen looks like rendered at the resolution that is being displayed at.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2dhzk7b.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can get SotC running (in a window) roughly 1280x1024 res, at 40+ FPS on my current rig, and tomorrow I get my new one which is roughly twice as powerful. Can't wait :D :D :D

IrishNinja

Borman said:
PS2 VGA is a hassle too, requires a Sync-on-Green monitor, and is just not all that fun to mess with :p

wait, requires what and what now? I thought i could just use a VGA cord/adapter, im told i need a VGA box of some kind. now i need a certain kind of monitor? fuck me, i just want the option to play PS2 at the station when its slow.

Borman

IrishNinja said:
wait, requires what and what now? I thought i could just use a VGA cord/adapter, im told i need a VGA box of some kind. now i need a certain kind of monitor? fuck me, i just want the option to play PS2 at the station when its slow.
Well if you are converting the signal from component, then yeah, but thats lower quality then actual PS2 VGA.
Edit: and Im not even sure that works with games or not. Either way, itll likely be an unofficial, or less-then-perfect solution in the end.

Dascu said:
Has anyone tried out GunGrave with this emulator? Any noticable issues?

Gungrave is one of the games that ran perfect on my old 8800gt. Looked incredible and never missed a beat.

that video posted above is kinda shit since it looks like it's in slow motion

Durante

JonStark said:
I've got a quad core, so I guess it'll only use two of them ?
Someone did benchmarks recently and it seems that 3 cores are slightly faster (5-10% depending on the game) than 2, further cores beyond that don't help measurably in the current version.

IrishNinja

Borman said:
Well if you are converting the signal from component, then yeah, but thats lower quality then actual PS2 VGA.
Edit: and Im not even sure that works with games or not. Either way, itll likely be an unofficial, or less-then-perfect solution in the end.

crap. can anyone confirm this? i just want a VGA box that works with a CRT monitor and doesnt look too awful nor cost too much. there's gotta be some around here that know about this, i just dont want to make a thread just to ask.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Linkzg said:
Gungrave is one of the games that ran perfect on my old 8800gt. Looked incredible and never missed a beat.

that video posted above is kinda shit since it looks like it's in slow motion

That's on a fucking 8600, aka the "don't try to play anything serious on me" card.

Xanathus

I've recently switched from Win XP 64bit to Win 7 64bit, and also installed the latest beta build 1888. I do not remember the build number that I had while I was using XP. Previously on XP, I could save states very quickly but now when it takes about 10-15 seconds. Was anything changed with the way save states work?

vag 2.0

so: E5300 @ 3ghz / HD4850 / 4GB with Win7 X64 - what say you? This is a low, low budget PC that I got for source games and general use, any chance I can fiddle with this stuff a bit?

(Mostly interested in SMT: Nocturne, God Hand & The Cave ports as this is what I still have my PS2 setup for these days)

vag 2.0 said:
so: E5300 @ 3ghz / HD4850 / 4GB with Win7 X64 - what say you? This is a low, low budget PC that I got for source games and general use, any chance I can fiddle with this stuff a bit?

(Mostly interested in SMT: Nocturne, God Hand & The Cave ports as this is what I still have my PS2 setup for these days)
God Hand will give you some trouble but Nocturne will run fine. Never tried the cave ports.

vag 2.0 said:

Quite a few games should run well, and you can always increase the OC on your CPU if you feel you need some more performance. i'm running my E5200 at 3.6ghz.

vag 2.0

I'm on stock cooling and it's already quite hot under load (~50oc according to coretemp) so might not go that route just yet

RSLYG

Tested on the latest pcsx2, great stuff, I got around 50-60 fps with my PC with speedhacks ON :D

- Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80 Ghz
- Geforce 8600GT
- 2 GB Ram

34riolk.jpg

1427xqh.jpg

Dwayne

IrishNinja said:

Side note on PS2 VGA: If you've got a McBoot environment setup, there's a few guys at psx-scene working on loading games in higher resolutions than they allow normally. Forcing progressive, trying out 1080i etc. Check the progress here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
OMG Can't wait to try SC3 on my new PC in HD :D :D :D

EDIT: Christ, fuck the unfortunate rhyming of that proclamation

Are there any special settings I should use for the Kingdom Hearts games? I was thinking of redoing KH1 and 2 since I got in the mood while playing the DS game. However I was doing theater mode for R:CoM (since I LOVE the story of that game, but hate the card based gameplay) and it kept freezing all the time, which worried me that 1 and 2 might have similar problems when I go to play them.

Durante said:
The recent SSX thread made me want to play SSX3 again. It's interesting how many people wanted SSX in HD in that thread, considering that it's already here:
Damn, that looks great. Want to play SSX3 again!

Sectus

RSLYG said:
Tested on the latest pcsx2, great stuff, I got around 50-60 fps with my PC with speedhacks ON :D

- Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80 Ghz
- Geforce 8600GT
- 2 GB Ram
Is Soul Calibur 3 working now? No weird rendering problems with hair and etc?

Shouta

So, I just finished my new rig and I was messing around with the r1888 PCSX2 beta. Any configuration guides/tips to make my games look pretty awesome? I'm running and i5 and 4870

What settings should I use to play Kingdom Hearts? At first I kept getting missing/flickering textures as soon as the intro video ended. It was incredibly distracting, and even though the game ran at full speed and looked great with AA and all I just couldn't bear to play it with that problem. I found out it was the "VU XGkick Hack - Special fix for Erementar Gerad." under Gamefixes that I had on which was causing the problem. When I turned it offthe problem went away.

Now it seems that my only really problems are a few tiny graphical glitches: Box outlines around the company logos at start up, a line through the selected item in the lower left menu and weird artifacts when playing a widescreen video like the intro (ex: during the intro parts of the main menu screen are above and below the video). These are no where near as game breaking as my previous problem, however if there is a way to fix them without having to use Native resolution I would be happy to hear it. If not then I can live, lol.

NoitoraJirugajr

Neo Member
I got shadow hearts 1 to run but my computer seems to chug even when I run it at native resolution. I'm running a 3ghz dual core E8400, 2gb ram and a GeForce 8500GT 512mb. Do you guys think its my hardware or the compatibility with the game and the emulator?

MotherFan

Shouta said:
So, I just finished my new rig and I was messing around with the r1888 PCSX2 beta. Any configuration guides/tips to make my games look pretty awesome? I'm running and i5 and 4870

I've been playing around with it and I noticed that it is really up to the game you are playing. Here is what I have so you can modify your expectations based on how things are running with my setup:

AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1ghz
9500gt 1 GB (OC'd some)
6GB ram
Vista 64

You will have to test your settings with each and every game and maybe modify them. Also, some games will have glitches you really can't avoid, some are minor ones, and some freeze the game so watch out for this. As for settings, internal res is the most important: the higher it is the better the game looks. And the higher you go, the slower it goes too :p External res is just how big the window/display itself is. In direct3d9 you can have full screen, but in 10 it is always in windowed mode. Also, the external display has an effect on speed. Mess with the resoultions for each game to find the best balance for speed and visuals. I am running about 1280x720 internal and 1600x900 external on my 1080p 42' set.

Another thing I have noticed is to uncheck 8-bit textures if you are having slowdowns. A good example of this is in p4, when you are fighting
chie's shadow
. The chains and the background will slow the battle down by a decent amount, but unchecking the box helped fix this problem for me.

Interlacing, you can mess with those settings, I think they may cut down on the pixelation on character photos and some text. I have not messed with this option, but tokkun was using it for p4.

For speed hacks..these can speed up the game, but some of them have problems. Use x2 Cycle rate: This will mess up the audia in a very noticable manner in alot of games. I have not noticed it in p4, but suikoden V had a hell of a time with this, and ffxii seemed to as well. The microvu hacks as well as the VU cycle stealing can cause trouble, so test with them on and if there are troubles, turn them off. This is especially noticable with the cycle stealing. In p4, it ran half speed in a number of places (classroom especially) and this was not due to cpu load (audio worked fine still, cpu load was not high). Turning that off removed that problems. Again, these settings should be messed with from game to game.

For some of the 2d games (MMAC and Megaman X collection here) turn off ALL speedhacks or you will have graphical glitches and odd slowdowns. For these, I use software emulation and have yet to run into trouble (except mm7) and the 1aa makes some of the pixelation dissapear. Fullscreen is fine for these as well, I run them at 1280x720 external resolution on full screen mode. I have the black bars on the side, but imo that is far better than having them get stretched or using window mode.

This is what I have come up with playing around the last week. FFXII has been working pretty nice with the exception of the menu; it seems to be more intensive than the game itself is. P4 works great, the megaman collection works good, while suikoden V seems a bit problematic. Post your settings and how everything works when you can :)

MotherFan

Shouta said:
Ah, thanks Motherfan. Is there any way to get rid of the jitter you find in some games?

Hm, do you mean when the screen seems to be bouncing up and down a bit? I never noticed that except when I was using the cdnull thing to mess with mem cards and the system settings. So I am not sure.

Durante

Depends on what kind of jitter you mean, but if you're using the GSDX graphics plugin you can try switching interlacing modes with F5.

Edit:
In case anyone is interested, I run SSX3 with 1.5 cycle rate, all EE hacks enabled and moderate VU cycle stealing at 1920*2160 internal res. With these settings I get locked 60 FPS.

tokkun

MotherFan said:
Hm, do you mean when the screen seems to be bouncing up and down a bit? I never noticed that except when I was using the cdnull thing to mess with mem cards and the system settings. So I am not sure.

If your screen is bouncing up and down, change your interlacing mode to one of the Bob filters.

I got it all configured through the on site tutorial and poked at both Persona 4 and Devil May Cry, but despite my settings in the video config (GSDx, SSE2) it's windowed, in native resolution. How do I get it to be full screen?

Edit: d'oh, Alt+Enter :lol

I've seen several people running God Of War 2 in what appears to be good framerate, with a picture that looks amazing. What sorts of settings are you using? I did some searching and couldn't find anything newer than last April, and it all mentioned lots of green screen issues.

Specs: Phenom X4 945, 4890HD, 4GB DDR2

ArjanN

Peronthious said:
I've seen several people running God Of War 2 in what appears to be good framerate, with a picture that looks amazing. What sorts of settings are you using? I did some searching and couldn't find anything newer than last April, and it all mentioned lots of green screen issues.

Specs: Phenom X4 945, 4890HD, 4GB DDR2

Pretty sure those green screen issues were fixed relatively recently. There's still some other bugs but they can be worked around.

What your CPU clock speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom